• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo remakes 'Cube controller, and we laugh

mio said:
2w6cgic.gif
:lol Why do even the girls in the background look like they are doing something dirty? Awesome gif. I don't think it can get anymore perfect. Is this from a real Nintendo add?

takotchi

I kind of wish this was a WaveBird instead (only if it had rumble), but it's pretty good, so I'll definitely import one. This seems like one of those things Nintendo won't bring to the US.

Jiggy

And to think I had just bought a new platinum controller in the last two weeks. Oh well: this is a pretty sweet deal for those who need one. Nintendo's doing the right thing, seeing as this (along with the classic controller) is the superior control scheme for Wii, and all that.

jts

...hate me...
Dark Octave said:
:lol Why do even the girls in the background look like they are doing something dirty? Awesome gif. I don't think it can get anymore perfect. Is this from a real Nintendo add?
I think so, a french one or something. Been searching for confirmation with no results though.

aeolist

Banned
I'm just glad they're still making Cube controllers. I have nightmares about mine breaking and having to play Smash Bros with the Classic Controller.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Visualante said:
What are the chances of them updating the channel UI to support GameCube? I'm lazy but I find it archaic using two controllers to boot into a game.
Given that Smash Bros. and Mario Kart both support GC controllers, I'm a bit surprised Nintendo hasn't allowed that option in the menu already. I'm somewhat expecting the next "big" firmware update to offer that.

Linkup

Do you actually need the word "and" after the comma in the thread title? I think the rule was changed while I was in school.

Jiggy37 said:
And to think I had just bought a new platinum controller in the last two weeks. Oh well: this is a pretty sweet deal for those who need one. Nintendo's doing the right thing, seeing as this (along with the classic controller) is the superior control scheme for Wii, and all that.

Wrong.

aeolist said:
I'm just glad they're still making Cube controllers. I have nightmares about mine breaking and having to play Smash Bros with the Classic Controller.

I have a much easier, and more comfortable time playing Smash with the Remote+Nunchuck.

DDayton

dallow_bg said:
Glad it's NOT A WAVEBIRD.
Too much lag for my tastes.
I can feel it in Smash.
andrewfee said:
Wavebird = input lag, no rumble. . . There was definitely lag with the wavebird vs wired cube controllers on a Gamecube. I haven't tried them on a Wii to compare, but I assume it's the same.

I seriously don't understand these "lag" issues a few folks have had with the Wavebird. I've used nothing but WaveBirds since 2002 and I've never experienced lag. Do you guys all live under high voltage lines or something?

Jiggy

PataHikari said:
Wrong.

I have a much easier, and more comfortable time playing Smash with the Remote+Nunchuck.
Not that these two replies were necessarily related, but even I'll grant that the remote and nunchuk combination is more comfortable than the GC or classic controller. It's just worse in most other ways, namely the lack of four easily accessible face buttons on the Wii remote. :(

SlayrUK

The Blue Jihad said:
Someone explain why the fuck anyone prefers the Wavebird over the corded controller?

Dog doesn't rip controller out of cube/wii when it comes running past and trips over cable.

Other than that ... no idea.

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:
Someone explain why the fuck anyone prefers the Wavebird over the corded controller?

Personally it's because i'm used to wireless controllers now. Getting back at wired one is a bit annoying. I would buy a wireless one if i had the choice.

DDayton

The Blue Jihad said:
Someone explain why the f--- anyone prefers the Wavebird over the corded controller?

Would you explain why you prefer the corded over the Wavebird? All you get is Rumble and a tether...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It fixes the one issue I have with the GameCube controller, and that's the short cord length. I want one. (Yes, I know about the Wavebird, but I want rumble, too. That, and it's impossible to find one nowadays...)

GhostSeed

Concept17 said:
Ugh, GC controller is nearly as bad as the original xbox controller, and just as bad as the N64 controller.

"I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. Yeah."

15rgyo9.jpg

hokahey

The Blue Jihad said:
Because the Wavebird has noticeable lag. Especially with Smash Bros Melee.

You need some new batteries champ. Or you need to make sure all wavebirds are on a different channel.

Maybe its just me but...

In SSBB

Wavebird: Its harder to do smash attacks with stick + b
But the c stick works all the time

Regular GC controller: Smash attacks with stick + b are very easy to do
But the c stick randomly doesnt work!

Is this just me, or it it intentional in the game design?

My GC c stick works fine. If I paused and go into camera mode itll act perfectly, but in game c stick attacks work 25% of the time

Firestorm

jamesinclair said:
Maybe its just me but...

In SSBB

Wavebird: Its harder to do smash attacks with stick + b
But the c stick works all the time

Regular GC controller: Smash attacks with stick + b are very easy to do
But the c stick randomly doesnt work!

Is this just me, or it it intentional in the game design?

My GC c stick works fine. If I paused and go into camera mode itll act perfectly, but in game c stick attacks work 25% of the time

It should be the same for both. It's just you. In Brawl, C-stick must be returned to the neutral position before doing another action.

hokahey said:
You need some new batteries champ. Or you need to make sure all wavebirds are on a different channel.

I'm anal retentive about battery strength and Wavebird channels. There is lag on the Wavebirds. It's not as bad as the wireless 360 controllers, but it's still nasty as hell.

Firestorm

The Blue Jihad said:
I'm anal retentive about battery strength and Wavebird channels. There is lag on the Wavebirds. It's not as bad as the wireless 360 controllers, but it's still nasty as hell.

I have never once noticed it.

The Blue Jihad said:
Lag on 360 controllers? What are you talking about?

VAIL

Only one I'm laughing at is the op, for the crappy title.

To those citing controller lag, you are all high. If there was lag it would have been brought up ages ago when these controllers came out.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Lag on 360 controllers? What are you talking about?

Play Gears of War with a corded controller for a few weeks straight, then switch over to wireless. It hurts. Badly.

Same thing goes for the Cube controllers. Play Melee with corded for weeks straight, then use a Wavebird. You'll be able to feel the microsecond of delay, and it's plenty enough to throw off your game.

Hunahan

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:
Oh yes. It's terrible, terrible lag. Unplayable lag. It's totally there.

It's just that no one else seems capable of noticing besides you.

Please, quit wasting your time on a video game forum, throw on some spandex, grab a catchy alias, and use your superhuman perception powers to fight for justice and truth.

The world needs you!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Concept17 said:
Ugh, GC controller is nearly as bad as the original xbox controller, and just as bad as the N64 controller.
this post is full of win.. this thread is like a magnet for win. srsly.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Too much of something is bad enough, somethings coming over me to make me wonder....too much of nothing is just as tough.

The Blue Jihad said:
You are full of shit.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I could have sworn that Nintendo was still making the wired controllers, though. On Brawl's launch day, my EB had an entire shipment of brand new Gamecube wired controllers in stock. :/ I was going to back and buy one later that day, but they sold out the very first day.

Hunahan said:
Oh yes. It's terrible, terrible lag. Unplayable lag. It's totally there.

It's just that no one else seems capable of noticing besides you.

Please, quit wasting your time on a video game forum, throw on some spandex, grab a catchy alias, and use your superhuman perception powers to fight for justice and truth.

The world needs you!

Well I'm sorry that other people can't or don't notice the delay, but it's absolutely there. Perhaps you'd like to go a few months (or maybe a year) playing with a corded controller, then try a Wavebird, just for shits n giggles?

EDIT: And no, I'm not full of shit. I encourage everyone to try what I suggested, then come back and try to say that even a single Wavebird doesn't lag.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I have a $25 gift card for Amazon that I haven't used since Christmas and I'd love to buy one of these. When do these go on sale? (I may even try to order from the Japanese Amazon site)

KLoNe

Banned
Dark Octave said:

Needs the edited one with the cream. Someone post NOW :D

DDayton

The Blue Jihad said:
Well I'm sorry that other people can't or don't notice the delay, but it's absolutely there. Perhaps you'd like to go a few months (or maybe a year) playing with a corded controller, then try a Wavebird . . . I encourage everyone to try what I suggested, then come back and try to say that even a single Wavebird doesn't lag.

I used just the GameCube controllers in Melee until the launch of the WaveBird... I can't find an exact Wavebird release date, but I do believe it was in the Summer of 2002 (if not later). That means I played Melee for about 6 months with wired controls before using the Wavebird.

There is NO lag... unless, of course, your batteries are low and ready to sputter out, but at that point you'll be seeing missed button presses and more.

Seriously, the first I've EVER heard of lag has been from a few people in the Brawl threads. I'm starting to think the changed fighting/gravity system in Brawl is making Melee players convinced their controllers are "lagging".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wonder how many people this thread realize they're reissuing the GCN controller just for Smash.

Mak

Glad they're still making GameCube controllers, the other control schemes in Brawl just aren't the same. Weren't many people photographed buying GC controllers with Brawl in Japan?

The one thing I don't like about the Wave Bird is that it doesn't rumble, so I feel detached from Smash Bros. because there's no feedback on the controller when I attack or get hit. They're not as nice to hold either because of the battery compartment.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
I could have sworn that Nintendo was still making the wired controllers, though. On Brawl's launch day, my EB had an entire shipment of brand new Gamecube wired controllers in stock. :/ I was going to back and buy one later that day, but they sold out the very first day.

Future Shop, Best Buy, EB, Wal-Mart, and some other stores got one shipment that week iirc. Sold out FAST. It was $29.99.

Insaniac

{Mike} said:
thumb463x_whitepad.jpg

Hello thar white GameCube controller! Man, what a deal! For $20, you get an old controller for the Wii, which isn't wireless mind you. Instead of re-releasing WaveBirds, which are pretty awesome and hard to come by, we get this atrocity. Stay in Japan!

went out and bought to platinum cube wired for brawl. never looking back. Wavebirds are great, but i missed rumble

I don't see the issue here... GC controllers still have a use, and no one in this topic is laughing.

OP, do you know the difference between changing the color of something and remaking something?

Firestorm said:
It should be the same for both. It's just you. In Brawl, C-stick must be returned to the neutral position before doing another action.

Maybe my wired controller simply doesnt return to neutral position?

With c stick on wavebird I play no problem, not even thinking about it. But with the wired one, I couldnt get it to work all the time in training.

Top Bottom