• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo remakes 'Cube controller, and we laugh

DavidDayton said:
I used just the GameCube controllers in Melee until the launch of the WaveBird... I can't find an exact Wavebird release date, but I do believe it was in the Summer of 2002 (if not later). That means I played Melee for about 6 months with wired controls before using the Wavebird.

There is NO lag... unless, of course, your batteries are low and ready to sputter out, but at that point you'll be seeing missed button presses and more.

Seriously, the first I've EVER heard of lag has been from a few people in the Brawl threads. I'm starting to think the changed fighting/gravity system in Brawl is making Melee players convinced their controllers are "lagging".

This wasn't a missed button press at all, though. This was every action having a fraction of a second delay between my button press and the corresponding action on-screen. And my batteries were fresh; I know this because I recently had replaced them after the controller was switched on as it shuffled around in my bag. I noticed the Wavebird delay. My friends did, as well. This wasn't our imagination, because the delay completely vanished once we were using corded again.

Granted, most people never mention it...because they don't notice it. For whatever reason, they don't notice it. Maybe they're not paying attention. Maybe they don't care enough. Maybe they're just too enamored by the prospect of a wireless controller. Or maybe they just haven't gotten as good of a feel for the controls as they thought they had. No matter what, however, the delay does exist. It's a fraction of a second, but that fraction of a second is more than enough to aggravate the players who have paid attention.

Regarding hardware, I'm speaking from using Wavebird controllers with Smash Bros Melee and an actual Gamecube, with composite cables on SDTVs. Not using Brawl. Not using a Wii.

D3VI0US

Who even wants a Wavebird? Why not just make a proper Classic controller/GC controller hybrid? I mean for fucks sake I don't want a Wavebird when the Wii has built in wireless, at the very least get rid of the fucking dongle!

Agent X

I'd get one of these to use with the Wii...but that's because I don't own a GameCube controller already.

For the people who asked why Nintendo doesn't simply make one that plugs into the Wii Remote, my understanding of the issue at hand is that GameCube games boot the system into a "GameCube mode", so they do not recognize the presence of the Wii Remote. Therefore, they also would not recognize anything that's connected to the Wii Remote.

S-Wind

TheKingsCrown said:
gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

I'm sorry, you people are telling me that this thing is real? Are you f'ing serious? lol

Yes. I have two of them.

If this comes to the US I'm totally buying it. I need another GCN controller. I can't believe they actually increased the cable length. Awesome!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
DavidDayton said:
Seriously, the first I've EVER heard of lag has been from a few people in the Brawl threads. I'm starting to think the changed fighting/gravity system in Brawl is making Melee players convinced their controllers are "lagging".

Now in that case, there definitely is button lag in the online play. This has nothing to do with the altered physics; the lag only shows up in online play. Offline, the control is as lagless as Melee.

kswiston

3M cord is awesome. They way my living room is set up, I have to sit on the floor when playing SSBB or one of my Gamecube games on my Wii using a gamecube controller. The extra half meter on a PS2 controller buys me the comfort of a couch. An additional half meter would be even better.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Iam Canadian said:
Now in that case, there definitely is button lag in the online play. This has nothing to do with the altered physics; the lag only shows up in online play. Offline, the control is as lagless as Melee.
True -- although I've had a few nearly-lag-free online matches.

Dreavus

Whoa, I'd spring for one of these. I've still got a set of four, passable GC controllers, but only two of them are in decent condition. As for the other two... one I've had since the GC launch (R button is starting to fail), and the other has a messed up C-stick. The longer cord on this one is awesomeness in its purest form.

neoanarch

I have 6 controllers and only 3 are in perfect condition. But I would totally get one just for the longer cord. The color is just a bonus.

Daigoro

i love how this thread was set up to make fun of the controller.

and then no one laughed.

The Blue Jihad said:
I'm anal retentive about battery strength and Wavebird channels. There is lag on the Wavebirds. It's not as bad as the wireless 360 controllers, but it's still nasty as hell.

wow. bizarro world.

Top Bottom