• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the global sales for the mainline Pokémon DS games

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That Black and White number is kind of insane considering that the cutoff date for the numbers is the same month the game came out in NA and Europe.

Wichu

Americanmushroom said:
Which came out first and last? i don't follow the series...Are sales in decline or not?
The list is in chronological order. The first DS releases were Diamond and Pearl, and the latest are Black and White. Considering B/W were out for less than a month outside of Japan, I'd say they have a very good chance of having sold more than D/P by now. So no, sales aren't in decline (at least not in a huge way).

Pureauthor said:
Smart people wait and buy only the 3rd versions.

Well, except for the remakes since those don't get 3rd versions. Shame that.

Indeed, though the real smart pokemon trainers buy all of them... just sayin' :p

Just missing a Pearl out of the DS games, then the DS collection shall be complete...

pramath

Banned
I'm pretty sure Black/White have crossed 12 million units sold by now.
I'm pretty sure around this time next year, they'll have sold in excess of 16 million.

Now I'm just waiting for a Pokemon 3D. Please let it be a remake of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. I mean, I'll still buy it if it's Pokemon Gray, though I have to admit I will feel marginally betrayed.

B&W is doing very well so far, but it was more frontloaded than D/P in Japan so we'll have to wait and see if it has the same legs as its predecessor.

BTW: The franchise is not in decline at all. It hit its lowest point in sales with R/S on GBA (Which still sold a ridiculous amount) and bounced back up with D/P.

Just for comparison's sake (missing figures courtesy of VG Sales Wikia)

Mainline Series

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green: 20.08 million

Pokemon Gold/Silver: 14.51 million

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: 13 million

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 17.57 million

Pokemon Black/White (after 6 months, tracking ahead of Diamond/Pearl): 11.51 million

Enhanced Versions

Pokemon Yellow: 8.26 million

Pokemon Crystal: 3.75 million

Pokemon Emerald: 6.32 million

Pokemon Platinum: 7.43 million

Remakes

Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green: 11.82 million

Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver: 11.90 million

So not only is the franchise not in decline, it's actually in growth. If Black and White continue to track ahead of Diamond/Pearl and we eventually get Pokemon Grey, we could actually finally get a Pokemon game that surpasses the sales of generation one!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
also I should probably actually play a Pokemon game at some point. I do have Platinum sitting around here somewhere.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pureauthor said:
Smart people wait and buy only the 3rd versions.

Well, except for the remakes since those don't get 3rd versions. Shame that.

Crystal stuff was built into HG/SS, no shame there.

pramath

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
B&W is doing very well so far, but it was more frontloaded than D/P in Japan so we'll have to wait and see if it has the same legs as its predecessor.

BTW: The franchise is not in decline at all. It hit its lowest point in sales with R/S on GBA (Which still sold a ridiculous amount) and bounced back up with D/P.
Ruby and Sapphire sold what, 14 million, right?
So if we consider the remakes, it is arguable that the lowest points of the series were FR/LG with 10 million, or HG/SS with 11 million.

If we only consider the mainline games, Ruby/Sapphire was the lowest selling though.
Kind of makes me nervous about the prospects of a remake for the Hoenn games anytime soon.

pramath said:
Ruby and Sapphire sold what, 14 million, right?
So if we consider the remakes, it is arguable that the lowest points of the series were FR/LG with 10 million, or HG/SS with 11 million.

If we only consider the mainline games, Ruby/Sapphire was the lowest selling though.
Kind of makes me nervous about the prospects of a remake for the Hoenn games anytime soon.

Remakes don't really count. They appeal mainly to people who played the original games (hence why Nintendo focused on people's memories of the original Gold/Silver games for the original GB/GBC in their commercials)

To expect a remake to sell as well as a new mainline game is a bit asinine really.

The fact that the remakes sell so well also proves that there is a strong older fanbase that continues to buy and play these games (As does Nintendo's recent charts about the demographical change with the series in Japan - with 21-25 yolds now making up the majority of players)

pramath

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Remakes don't really count. They appeal mainly to people who played the original games (hence why Nintendo focused on people's memories of the original Gold/Silver games for the original GB/GBC in their commercials)

To expect a remake to sell as well as a new mainline game is a bit asinine really.

The fact that the remakes sell so well also proves that there is a strong older fanbase that continues to buy and play these games.

Yeah, I thought so too. Although it is ironic how the Gold/Silver remakes were probably the best entries in the series till Black and White hit.

I have a question about the chart you posted above. You show Gold and Silver as having sold 14 million, but if I remember correctly, when Nintendo announced HG/SS, their press release said that Gold and Silver had sold 25 million copies worldwide, right? So are those numbers not updated?

Also, didn't the latest quarterly earnings report from Nintendo confirm Black and White to be at 11.9 million?

And damn, look at how low Crystal sold. What happened there?

pramath said:
Yeah, I thought so too. Although it is ironic how the Gold/Silver remakes were probably the best entries in the series till Black and White hit.

I have a question about the chart you posted above. You show Gold and Silver as having sold 14 million, but if I remember correctly, when Nintendo announced HG/SS, their press release said that Gold and Silver had sold 25 million copies worldwide, right? So are those numbers not updated?

Also, didn't the latest quarterly earnings report from Nintendo confirm Black and White to be at 11.9 million?

And damn, look at how low Crystal sold. What happened there?

Impossible, R/B/Y didn't even sell that much. They probably combined the original G/S/C sales with HG/SS to get 25 million.

As for Crystal, it's kind of obvious really. It was a GBC only game, released at a time when the GBA was just about to launch.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yup, dedicated gaming handhelds are dying alright. No-one buys in depth handheld games for $40 anymore when they can play Angry Birds

BAHAHAHAHA

pramath

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Impossible, R/B/Y didn't even sell that much. They probably combined the original G/S/C sales with HG/SS to get 25 million.

As for Crystal, it's kind of obvious really. It was a GBC only game, released at a time when the GBA was just about to launch.

Can't have done that. This was the press release that announced the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Anyway, I found the original article. I was apparently wrong, they are supposed to have sold 23 million, not 25 million.

As for Crystal, I daresay it was also a victim of franchise fatigue- which is also supported by the fact that Ruby and Sapphire sold so (relatively) low.
There's also the fact that it probably had the least and most meaningless enhancements for any third game in the series (outside of Japan, at least).

Wiseblade

Wow, Pokémon really brings in some serious bank. I'd like to say I added to one of those B/W day one sales, but I didn't :p

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
pramath said:
There's also the fact that it probably had the least and most meaningless enhancements for any third game in the series (outside of Japan, at least).
Competitive GSC is a total bore compared to competitive RSE, though.

Defense all day erryday.

pramath

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:

Defense all day erryday.

Eh, I never battled competitively in G/S/C, so I wouldn't know. All I know is, I used to battle with my brother and my friend a lot. A lot of our arguments were settled that way :p

Saiyar said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110729e.pdf
For those asking for updated Black & White numbers it has sold 12.87 million as of June 2011 and is still selling over 1 million copies a quarter.

Like I said, I fully expect Black and White to have sold in excess of 16 million same time next year.

B/W will probably end somewhere between 18 and 19 million. Damn impressive.

Sixfortyfive said:

Defense all day erryday.

Yeah, Gen 3 is still my favorite competitive format.

Though GSC blows RSE out of the water in terms of single-player gameplay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:

Defense all day erryday.

As opposed to walls all day erryday. :/

They're both terrible for that. D/P/Pt/HG/SS was better balanced, IMO. No more walls, less defensive.

DonMigs85

TheSeks said:
As opposed to walls all day erryday. :/

They're both terrible for that. D/P/Pt/HG/SS was better balanced, IMO. No more walls, less defensive.
Thank goodness for the physical/special attributes getting mixed around. Made my Hitmonchan less useless.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DonMigs85 said:
Thank goodness for the physical/special attributes getting mixed around. Made my Hitmonchan less useless.

Agreed. Such a good decision.

<3 Gamefreak.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So the moral of the story is that instead of the "fad" dying off, the popularity of the DS has rebounded the series back to the even more ludicrous highs of the originals.

Busaiku

Htown said:
That Black and White number is kind of insane considering that the cutoff date for the numbers is the same month the game came out in NA and Europe.
That's cause these are Nintendo's shipment numbers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:
So the moral of the story is that instead of the "fad" dying off, the popularity of the DS has rebounded the series back to the even more ludicrous highs of the originals.

And where the heck have you been?

Gravijah

DaSorcerer7 said:
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: 17.57 million
Pokémon Platinum: 7.43 million
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver: 11.90 million
Pokémon Black and White: 11.51 million

WTF happened here?

Amusingly, I took this post as him asking how Platinum sold so fucking much. It's kind of crazy.

DR2K

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yup, dedicated gaming handhelds are dying alright. No-one buys in depth handheld games for $40 anymore when they can play Angry Birds

BAHAHAHAHA

What about $40 software that isn't Pokemon or Mario?

qq more

DR2K said:
How many of those even exist on the 3DS? At least the ones worth buying?

(Also, SSF43D despite being a port of a recent console game sold a million if I'm not mistaken.)

jman2050

DR2K said:

The 3DS absolutely can prosper simply on the backs of Pokemon and Mario.

As for anything else on the system, it remains to be seen.

antonz

jman2050 said:
The 3DS absolutely can prosper simply on the backs of Pokemon and Mario.

As for anything else on the system, it remains to be seen.
I think the other software can do fine once the Marios and Pokemons of the system come out and spur the craze.

Nix

Banned
Gravijah said:
You can't argue with facts.

Facts that are the proponents of Slander and LIES!!!!

B/W is really beasting out though in world sales. I wonder how much it would have accrued by next year?

Silver is still king though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
You can't argue with facts.

uh2tg.jpg

watershed

Banned
I owned almost every Nintendo handheld since the gameboy yet I've never played a single pokemon game. I think I'll break that streak when the first made for 3ds main line pokemon game comes out. I'll finally see for myself what this pokemon is all about.

artwalknoon said:
I owned almost every Nintendo handheld since the gameboy yet I've never played a single pokemon game. I think I'll break that streak when the first made for 3ds main line pokemon game comes out. I'll finally see for myself what this pokemon is all about.

You'll understand what you have been missing out on for so long. Lol.

artwalknoon said:
Break it when the 3rd version of B/W comes out. I hope to god it's a 3DS game.

Or maybe the R/S remakes..... aren't we getting some pokemon news soon? I remember reading something about a DS/3DS game or something?

Top Bottom