• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the global sales for the mainline Pokémon DS games

Kurtofan

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Though the games may be better the monster designs are definitely worse.
I skipped the B/W generation (though will pick up Grey) and downloading them all on the 3DS Pokedex was the first time seeing most of them for me and the designs are damn awful. Almost put me off the game as there's only a handful I'd actually want to catch!
Your opinion.I think most of them have great designs.

Kurtofan said:
Your opinion.

Well of course it's their opinion. Just like it's your opinion that they're good. There's nothing wrong with disliking the designs, it's when people get all "hurr durr the originals are the only good things everything else ever sucks".

I generally think that each generation has its share of good and bad designs, but the most recent is probably the first where the scale tips more heavily to bad. There's still some that I like though, and they're absolutely, without question the best games in the series.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Like all the designs they have to grow on you.

I think Gen 4 had the biggest percentage of good Pokemon out of any batch.

4 > 1 = 2 > 5 >>> 3

For the most part, designs-wise.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Andrex said:
Like all the designs they have to grow on you.

I think Gen 4 had the biggest percentage of good Pokemon out of any batch.

4 > 1 = 2 > 5 >>> 3

For the most part, designs-wise.
Meh, I disliked Gen IV the most. Felt very generic to me. V was a step up IMO, and I still love a lot of III designs.

Wizpig

Unlocking new Pokeymans on the 3D dex everyday shows me how much i dislike the B/W gen.

But i know the answer is "you're getting older", so I'm not going to argue.
My favourite one is 1 & 2, because i was a kid. 3, not so much. 4, pretty cool.

5, i don't know... I unlocked this little guy who is basically Paras with a reskin, and there are many like him.
I think maybe they wanted to do it this way, to make it more similar to Gen I but with a different setting, I don't know.

Dr.Hadji

Wizpig said:
5, i don't know... I unlocked this little guy who is basically Paras with a reskin, and there are many like him.
I think maybe they wanted to do it this way, to make it more similar to Gen I but with a different setting, I don't know.

Well that's why you need to play the game. There is a pretty big difference between Dweble and Paras both in design and play.Even conceptually there is a big difference between a crab-like creature with mushrooms on its back and a hermit crab like creature. That's like calling corphish a reskin of crabby.

It was the Gear Pokemon that was literally two gears slapped together that did it for me.
Then I got the one who is literally an ice-cream cone with a face.
On the verge of dismissing the whole gen altogether, I then got the Pokemon who is literally a bag of trash.
A bag of trash.
Trash!
Yeah..... No thanks!

To be fair I did put some time into the game beforehand. I did the trick of buying it as a present for somebody else but then playing it a bunch before wrapping it :lol.
I arrived at the big city with the cool graphics that was constantly featured in screenshots and on the back of the (Euro) case. The game was nice enough but there really wasn't all that much new in terms of gameplay and I was turned off by the designs so no deal. I wasn't a fan of Pearl either so not really sure where I stand with the series right now. Maybe I got old :(

Anth0ny

The_Technomancer said:
Meh, I disliked Gen IV the most. Felt very generic to me. V was a step up IMO, and I still love a lot of III designs.

Yeah, the worst part of gen IV was ruining some gen I evolutions. Jesus.

For me, it's I>II>>>V>>>>>>III>IV

I was pleasantly surprised with the designs in gen V, because I was expecting shit considering III and IV.

survivor

Banned
I honestly don't see how the latest gens had worse designs. Gen 1 and 2 had some of the shittiest laziest Pokemon designs that makes me wonder how I liked them as a kid.

joetachi

survivor said:
I honestly don't see how the latest gens had worse designs. Gen 1 and 2 had some of the shittiest laziest Pokemon designs that makes me wonder how I liked them as a kid.
people that consider gen 2 almost as good as gen 1 are insane gen2 sucks.

Anth0ny

survivor said:

shittiest laziest=simple

simple=good

2ng66x1.png

let the shit storm begin

BurntPork

Banned
It was the Gear Pokemon that was literally two gears slapped together that did it for me.
Then I got the one who is literally an ice-cream cone with a face.
On the verge of dismissing the whole gen altogether, I then got the Pokemon who is literally a bag of trash.
A bag of trash.
Trash!
Yeah..... No thanks!

To be fair I did put some time into the game beforehand. I did the trick of buying it as a present for somebody else but then playing it a bunch before wrapping it :lol.
I arrived at the big city with the cool graphics that was constantly featured in screenshots and on the back of the (Euro) case. The game was nice enough but there really wasn't all that much new in terms of gameplay and I was turned off by the designs so no deal. I wasn't a fan of Pearl either so not really sure where I stand with the series right now. Maybe I got old :(
You think those are unoriginal? Ha! What got me was the ball with eyes and the living purple slime. And what do they evolve into? A bigger ball and a bigger glob of slime! Man, they're out of ideas...

I find the designs mostly appeal to me after I catch and raise the Pokemon.

Then I get familiar with them and start liking them because they're mine.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
I'm glad you agree with Alberto. Since you barely played Gen 3, you didn't become attached to the Pokemon. So your opinion, it is wrong!
Oh I played it a bit, my brother brought it when he returned from the UK, he got himself Mario 3 and he gave me Ruby. Played around 'till the 6th gym and then he took the game said it was always his and ereased my file.

Gravijah

Boney said:
Oh I played it a bit, my brother brought it when he returned from the UK, he got himself Mario 3 and he gave me Ruby. Played around 'till the 6th gym and then he took the game said it was always his and ereased my file.

Now the truth is out. We know why you hate Gen 3 now!

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Now the truth is out. We know why you hate Gen 3 now!
first time I saw that white dog with one horn I was all holy shit a legendary! Since I knew it appeared in the cartoon opening.

Then I saw another one and realized it kinda sucked. Game was still pretty eh.

To be fair, I thought Ruby and Sapphire, while still hella fun, weren't up to the standards of the first two gens. The lack of any significant post-game content in particular hit it pretty hard, IMO.

Then Emerald came along and blew me away. dat battle frontier

Until BW came along, Emerald was easily my favorite title in the series.
And I LIKED the sea routes, goddammit!

Gravijah

Boney said:
first time I saw that white dog with one horn I was all holy shit a legendary! Since I knew it appeared in the cartoon opening.

Then I saw another one and realized it kinda sucked. Game was still pretty eh.

Your opinion on it is forever tainted because of your brother. I will hear no more.

Anth0ny

Oh don't get me wrong I like designs from all gens... but some have more bad ones then others. Like III and IV =P

Anth0ny

Boney said:
I just hope they don't waste their time with a remake.

You know it's coming.

And 3DS virtual console will never get RSE.

Hell, I think it's about time we get another RB remake. Gotta bring those GBA era games up to date!

Gravijah

Anth0ny said:
Oh don't get me wrong I like designs from all gens... but some have more bad ones then others. Like III and IV =P

I do agree that the Gen IV evolutions of previous Pokemon are kind of off. They just don't... I don't know, they don't work that well. Some are good, but others, like Tangrowth? Kinda weird.

The_Technomancer said:
Giaru is awesome, and anyone who says otherwise sucks.

Man, anyone remember that guy who came into Pokemon threads and referred to every single Pokemon by their Japanese names?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gravijah said:
Man, anyone remember that guy who came into Pokemon threads and referred to every single Pokemon by their Japanese names?
Normally I wouldn't, but I was hyped for that one since I saw it months before release and Giaru >>>>> Klink

Carcetti

Pokemon and Phoenix Wright are the only series that have me taking out the old DS again and again. Black/White was great but I disliked the forest/city multiplayer element.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Great sales for all. Glad ta see HGSS beat out the awful FRLG games! B/W had alot working against it being the 6 & 7th games in the main series on the DS, coming out near the end of the systems life, and being the first generation in the series running on the same hardware as the previous generation.

Though the games may be better the monster designs are definitely worse.
I skipped the B/W generation (though will pick up Grey) and downloading them all on the 3DS Pokedex was the first time seeing most of them for me and the designs are damn awful. Almost put me off the game as there's only a handful I'd actually want to catch!

Theres your problem! PKMN in 3D have never looked good. They lose a ton of charm and detail when sprites are swapped out for polygons ~_~ I can't believe it when I see people saying they want the POKéDEX 3D models used for the next main game(s). Sprites for life! Just get someone to teach Game Freak how ta scale 'em properly so they don't look pixelated up close!

I just want Poke Yellow on 3DS VC then I'll be a happy boy.
I..... I never got surfing Pikachu!
:'(

You can only get Surfing Pikachu from Stadium 2!

We can see why Nintendo isn't pushing for innovation, selling over 10 million Each generation provides little incentive for change. Guess I'm not helping the problem, I bought a game from each one of the DS sets (Diamond, Soul Silver, White) instead of boycotting the franchise. What can I say, I love me some pokemans.

Delio

Makes me wonder how the R/S remakes will do. While it was not my fav gen in term of the region i did love all three starters.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What?
WHAT!?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Well... I have a copy of both Yellow and Stadium 2 in my Mum's attic but that's like, too much effort, and stuff :(

And in order ta get your Pikachu taught Surf you must beat highest Round 2 cup with no rental PKMN. One of the PKMN you use must be Pikachu and it has to take part in at least one battle! Its hard but you got everything needed! After teaching your Pikachu to surf and bringing it back to Yellow you'll get ta play the funfun Pikachu's Beach mini-game!

Delio said:
Makes me wonder how the R/S remakes will do. While it was not my fav gen in term of the region i did love all three starters.

Hopefully those won't come around any time soon. I loved Gen 3 but I think it would disappoint lotsa people if the first genuniely made for 3DS *main* PKMN game would be a 3rd version (didn't help Crystal at all) or remakes. Nopenope. Gen 6 needs ta come before R/S-makes.

Valru said:
I can imagine an alternate-universe pokemon consisting of pokemon, digimon, medabot, yugioh, and beyblades. It would be awesome :lol.

They could call it Super Monster Wars! And we could not get it in the west due to licensing! ;_;

Top Bottom