• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the global sales for the mainline Pokémon DS games

Grisby

Wow, to think my last pokeman adventure was Silver for the gameboy. Crazy how this series keeps on sellin'.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Andrex said:
Via Bulbanews. Through March 2011.

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: 17.57 million
Pokémon Platinum: 7.43 million
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver: 11.90 million
Pokémon Black and White: 11.51 million

Yup, the fad is gonna end any day now. :p
If only they'd change it up. I just can't play Pokemon anymore because I am tired of how similar each game is,

shahkur

WOW @ those numbers, though it aint surprising. Nicely done Nintendo. Looking forward to the next mainline game. White really is one the best games I've played. I'm still findingit hard to decide if I liked it better than Platinum LOL.

I still want to see either a console Pokemon game in the style of the main games or a Pokemon MMO where everyone is going on their own Pokemon journeys.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pokemon MMO is overplayed by this point. It wouldn't even be that good.

I'd like them to take more steps like in B/W, allow Wi-Fi co-op throughout an entire game. How awesome would that be?

qq more

Andrex said:
Pokemon MMO is overplayed by this point. It wouldn't even be that good.
Finally someone agrees with me.

Oh and what's with people wanting a normal styled Pokemon game for consoles? Aren't the games made for handhelds?

An MMO wouldn't be good because it's an over used idea? Nintendo making an MMO could be awesome.

Also, why are so many people on GAF opposed to the idea of a console Pokemon game?

Gravijah

Takao said:
But Medarot DS is the best selling Medabots game in Japan in like 10 years...

you win this round

but you lose the war, sucker! have fun playing that medaruth ds game in english!

qq more said:
Oh and what's with people wanting a normal styled Pokemon game for consoles? Aren't the games made for handhelds?

I guess they think it'd be more 'epic' or whatever. I prefer the multitasking-friendly nature of handhelds, personally.

Takao

Banned
Gravijah said:
you win this round

but you lose the war, sucker! have fun playing that medaruth ds game in english!

I still think you win this round given this is the franchise sales for Medabots games in Japan:

28/11/97 [NGB] Medarot: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Imagineer) - 14.119 / 226.191
20/03/98 [NGB] Medarot: Parts Collection (Imagineer) - 23.796 / 23.796
29/05/98 [NGB] Medarot: Parts Collection 2 (Imagineer) - 4.931 / 4.931
23/07/99 [NGB] Medarot 2: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Imagineer) - 71.666 / 485.259
29/10/99 [NGB] Medarot 2: Parts Collection (Imagineer) - 12.471 / 45.490
25/11/99 [PS1] Medarot R (Imagineer) - 38.227 / 64.594
10/03/00 [NGB] Medarot: Card Robottle (Imagineer) - 10.915 / 10.915
16/03/00 [PS1] Medarot R: Parts Collection (Imagineer) - 5.975 / 5.975
23/07/00 [NGB] Medarot 3: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Imagineer) - 80.243 / 235.616
24/11/00 [NGB] Medarot 3: Parts Collection - Z Kara no Chousenjou (Imagineer) - 21.370 / 39.316
23/03/01 [NGB] Medarot 4: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Imagineer) - 59.229 / 115.672
07/09/01 [GBA] Medarot Navi: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Imagineer) - 25.802 / 57.517
14/12/01 [NGB] Medarot 5: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Imagineer) - 13.675 / 44.918
19/07/02 [GBA] Medarot G: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Natsume) - 19.090 / 49.270
18/04/03 [GBA] Medarot 2 Core: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Natsume) - 8.627 / 8.627 *
28/11/03 [GCN] Medarot G Brave (Natsume) - 7.331 / 21.298
27/05/10 [NDS] Medarot DS: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Rocket Company) - 50.164 / 110.272

The worst part is, that's not even all of the games in the franchise as some didn't even chart, lol :(

* = criminally low

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TacticalFox88 said:
I sometimes wonder how Pokemon would be if Nintendo didn't create it.

They didn't really. Nintendo only owns 1/3 of the franchise.

TacticalFox88 said:
I sometimes wonder how Pokemon would be if Nintendo didn't create it.

Digimon_Adventure_group_shot.jpg

Takao said:
Digimon isn't a franchise to sell games though, it was made to sell Tamagotchis to boys.

Mine was yellow. It was awesome. Then again, I also had a Tamagotchi and was right into the virtual pet thing anyway (also had some other thing, and a Pokemon Pikachu).

How about ShinMegamiTensei.jpg?

gillty

Banned
I can imagine an alternate-universe pokemon consisting of pokemon, digimon, medabot, yugioh, and beyblades. It would be awesome :lol.

Takao

Banned
Kazerei said:
Don't forget Monster Rancher. The videogames are actually pretty good, and certainly have alot of potential.

I'm like one of the 3 people in the world to own an English copy of Monster Rancher DS.

Monster Rancher DS was actually the 8th or 9th best selling new release for August 2010 NPD coverage.

Kazerei

Banned
Takao said:
I'm like one of the 3 people in the world to own an English copy of Monster Rancher DS.

Monster Rancher DS was actually the 8th or 9th best selling new release for August 2010 NPD coverage.

Whoa, August 2010 must've been a dead month...

Glad to see it beat out Dora's Big Birthday Adventure though.

balddemon

Banned
Only reason I'd get a 3DS right now is if they released a Pokemon game for it. Although it would be nice to have Gray come out for the DS so I can start hacking my Black and start over on Gray lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
QuiteWhittle said:
Two-thirds actually. Which means Nintendo has the controlling stake.

I thought it was 1 part Gamefreak, 1 part Nintendo, and one part The Pokemon Company.

Alrus

Andrex said:
I thought it was 1 part Gamefreak, 1 part Nintendo, and one part The Pokemon Company.

To be exact, the Pokemon Co was created as an affiliate of Nintendo by GameFreak, Nintendo and Creatures Inc (each of whom owns a third of the franchise).

Creatures Inc is a subsidiary of nintendo, thus nintendo owns two third of Pokemon.

Fjordson

God damn. Just insane numbers.

I remember loving Pokémon when I was younger, but I haven't played it since Yellow. Would I be able to jump back in with Black/White?

Raonak

Banned
Pokemon reached it's peak in Generation2.

Now it's just a shell. milking and recycling with horrible pokemon designs.

Though the games may be better the monster designs are definitely worse.
I skipped the B/W generation (though will pick up Grey) and downloading them all on the 3DS Pokedex was the first time seeing most of them for me and the designs are damn awful. Almost put me off the game as there's only a handful I'd actually want to catch!

Top Bottom