• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Strategy Briefing 2015 thread (Nintendo discusses smartphone title Miitomo)

Because by only focusing on them, they're actively cutting out a huge portion of the video game market. They can't live on children and nostalgia forever.

Nintendo's bread and butter franchises don't do well with adults outside the core fanbase. Not to mention most adults don't buy games in Japan, one of their key markets

TP HD would be great and would definitely be enough to fill the Zelda void on the Wii U, especially if they implement great gyro controls and touch up the blurry textures. The game had some of the best gameplay/dungeon design in the series, it's just tough to go back to it because it's a muddy mess due to it being trapped in the weird not quite HD or SD area of the Wii.

Oh well, I guess it's time for me to buy a PS4. Other than Xenoblade Chronicles there's pretty much nothing coming out soon on Wii U. :(
Coming out soon? We're getting a new system next year. This was not, NOT, a direct. If you were looking at an investors (!) meeting to give a reason to revitalize the Wii U in late 2015 you've deluded your own self sir. And yeah you should get a PS4.

SalvaPot

So why is no one talking about the fact that Nintendo confirmed Miitomo is 1 of 5, thats right, FIVE games they want to release by March? That seems like a pretty big number.

Hydrus

Just sticking to the plan of not saying anything until 2016 then.

The hardcore Nintendo fans like Nintendo IPs which are mostly kid friendly...

And unfortunately kids don't really seem to care about those IP's. So who do you market your hardware and IP's too?

They need to though. Video games aren't just for children, and marketing solely to children isn't enough to keep a company afloat anymore.

There are battles they have at least a slim chance of winning, and there are battles that are clearly unwinnable.

I mean, maybe if they had started investing massively several years ago in third-party moneyhats and first-party development aimed at that demographic, but it's just too late now.

Heroman

Banned
Coming out soon? We're getting a new system next year. This was not, NOT, a direct. If you were looking at an investors (!) meeting to give a reason to revitalize the Wii U in late 2015 you've deluded your own self sir. And yeah you should get a PS4.

Wait what? The nx isnt coming out next year.

Ōkami

31l.jpg
Games with the most downloads.
Super Smash Bros, for WiiU
Mario Mart 8
Super Smash Bros. Nintendo 3DS
Pokemon Rumble World
Can't read the last one.

This does not include download codes with bundles, just what was purchased directly through the eshop, it does however include DLC sales which is why those WiiU games are so high up (so says the Nintendo slides)

Rather than most downloads I think it's most revenue.

Effect

I am shocked so many people are hyped for Twlight Princess. I thought it was generally disliked around here.

The annoyance (not hate I would say) is the very beginning of the game. After that the game is amazing and no one really has complaints I believe about the game after the opening area is cleared. There really is no hate for Twilight Princess. TP actually was what a LOT of people wanted at Wind Waker. They wanted it and enjoyed it regardless of what some try to say today. There is a reason why it sold so much.

Nintendo's bread and butter franchises don't do well with adults outside the core fanbase. Not to mention most adults don't buy games in Japan, one of their key markets
Exactly. That's why they need to create or farm out new IPs to third parties to appeal to these markets. If they're going to continue to make consoles, they have to adjust their strategies. Part of that is to expand past what they're already doing, because what they're already doing isn't reaching enough people to consistently grow their brand.

If adults don't buy games in Japan, and they want to keep making consoles, then they should be making console games that appeal to people outside of Japan.
There are battles they have at least a slim chance of winning, and there are battles that are clearly unwinnable.

I mean, maybe if they had started investing massively several years ago in third-party moneyhats and first-party development aimed at that demographic, but it's just too late now.
I mean, at this point, what do they have to lose by trying? The worst thing that could happen is that it bombs again. Which is most likely what would happen if they just continued operating the way they are now.

El Odio

Banned
Ōkami;183340202 said:
Mario Mart 8
Pokemon Rumble World
Can't read the last one.

This does not include download codes with bundles, just what was purchased directly through the eshop, it does however include DLC sales which is why those WiiU games are so high up (so says the Nintendo slides)

I loved my downloadable Malo skin for that one:
images

Revven

TP HD would be great and would definitely be enough to fill the Zelda void on the Wii U, especially if they implement great gyro controls and touch up the blurry textures. The game had some of the best gameplay/dungeon design in the series, it's just tough to go back to it because it's a muddy mess due to it being trapped in the weird not quite HD or SD area of the Wii.

A lot of that blurriness and muddiness would be done away with if they went completely with the SS art style. It would look like a completely new game.

That's assuming the render in that slide is representative of TPHD.

Red Devil

That's because it's going to NX, Anyone who says otherwise is insane. The moment it missed E3 this year it was going to NX.

Except they said it's still coming to Wii U after that...

And unfortunately kids don't really seem to care about those IP's. So who do you market your hardware and IP's too?

That's what Miyamoto was talking about... If it'll work or not it's to be seen.

Cyd0nia

Banned
That's because it's going to NX, Anyone who says otherwise is insane. The moment it missed E3 this year it was going to NX.

Aonuma talking to Gamespot the other day said:
I want to assure you that the Wii U Zelda was not delayed in any way because of Triforce Heroes.

A port wouldn't surprise me but it's still a Wii U game

Sandfox

Exactly. That's why they need to create or farm out new IPs to third parties to appeal to these markets. If they're going to continue to make consoles, they have to adjust their strategies. Part of that is to expand past what they're already doing, because what they're already doing isn't reaching enough people to consistently grow their brand.

Isn't that what they've been doing lately?

Josh7289

Ōkami;183340202 said:
Mario Mart 8
Pokemon Rumble World
Can't read the last one.

The last one is StreetPass Mii Plaza, and it seems like it might be talking specifically about the DLC for the first three titles listed there. It's a little unclear.

EDIT: Okay yes, I read Kimishima's explanation that came along with this slide. It's showing the ranking of digital sales after excluding the download versions of retail titles. So when you take out those full retail game download sales, and you're just left with download-only titles and DLC, this is the ranking.

Malus

I wonder if Link from TPHD will really look like that render. He looks really Skyward Swordy, not that that's a bad thing, but it'd be a bit strange in contrast with the environment. Really curious to see how it turns out. I'd be really surprised if it were more than just HD + better lighting like WWHD.

That Miyamoto quote on NX hardly sounds related to NX at all. I guess he could be saying NX will get new Amiibo-equivalent merchandise.

Somnid

Ōkami;183340202 said:
Mario Mart 8
Pokemon Rumble World
Can't read the last one.

The last one is Mii Plaza games.

If it was coming out in a year we would basically know the spec and stuff and not mention dev just got there kits a few weeks ago .

No we got word that devs got their kits a few weeks ago. The very first devs that got the very first kits didn't leak it far more than likely.

And how would we already have specs? We didn't have firm Wii U specs till shortly before and some even post launch

NX will be on store shelves by Holiday 2016 imo

If it was coming out in a year we would basically know the spec and stuff and not mention dev just got there kits a few weeks ago .

A year out for full dev kits is not uncommon. You are also basing the two week number from a news report. For all we know key partners have had info for some time now.

No way in hell Nintendo is going into Holiday 2016 with these two platforms.

Delio

Because by only focusing on them, they're actively cutting out a huge portion of the video game market. They can't live on children and nostalgia forever.

Well yeah but they also dont really have the IPs that catch onto that 18 to 30 year old male demo either. Metroid I guess being the main one? I've always considered them pretty kid focused. I suppose they should get into making more IPs that appeal to that gamer.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I am shocked so many people are hyped for Twlight Princess. I thought it was generally disliked around here.

It's always been a cool looking Zelda game, but yeah, that game had serious issues. Hopefully issues that can be rectified with the HD version the same way Wind Waker was improved. But Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess both suffered from very similar issues.

Overlong intro sequence.
Excessive linearity.
Not nearly enough sidequests or characters to interact with in a way to make the world feel big.
Wasted overworld.
Tons of padding.

I question the people calling it the best Zelda game...

Sorry for the shit quality:

kHiTXBO.png

Something is up for sure.

I don't know if they're altering the HD version in any significant way, but more than likely, they want a more universally usable style for promotional images like this. Instead of "colourful character, colourful character, heavily rendered gritty character," they have something that blends better.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The annoyance (not hate I would say) is the very beginning of the game. After that the game is amazing and no one really has complaints I believe about the game after the opening area is cleared. There really is no hate for Twilight Princess. TP actually was what a LOT of people wanted at Wind Waker. They wanted it and enjoyed it regardless of what some try to say today. There is a reason why it sold so much.

There's tons of annoying shit after the opening, be real here...

Top Bottom