• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Strategy Briefing 2015 thread (Nintendo discusses smartphone title Miitomo)

Isn't that what they've been doing lately?
Yeah, they need to make that the whole focus and goal of the NX. They didn't realize that that needed to be the crux of their strategy until a few years ago. And even then, some of the choices they're making for which companies and games to go after are extremely misguided. As much as I love Platinum, giving them money to make niche Japanese games wasn't the right move, and gained them little to nothing.

Gnilres

I mean, I don't know what I expected.

I'm not let down at all though, Kimishima saying a Direct was coming is enough to hold me over for a while.

Greenzxy

Here's the Link art from the storefront display, for those who missed it:
retailers_classic_red_nintendo_logo_banners_1.jpg

Also I think this investor's meeting was fine. Miitomo looks solid with potential broad-audience appeal, Nintendo Account seems solid, and we got further evidence of Twilight Princess HD. That's more than I expected to be honest.

I have a big fucking grin on my face.

ITS HAPPENING@

random25

Ōkami;183340202 said:
Games with the most downloads.
Super Smash Bros, for WiiU
Mario Mart 8
Super Smash Bros. Nintendo 3DS
Pokemon Rumble World
Can't read the last one.

This does not include download codes with bundles, just what was purchased directly through the eshop, it does however include DLC sales which is why those WiiU games are so high up (so says the Nintendo slides)

Rather than most downloads I think it's most revenue.

Pokemon Rumble World is a surprising one, whether it's most downloaded or most revenue. I always thought Shuffle did more than Rumble World, and it was launched much earlier too.

Toparaman

Banned
I don't know if they're altering the HD version in any significant way, but more than likely, they want a more universally usable style for promotional images like this. Instead of "colourful character, colourful character, heavily rendered gritty character," they have something that blends better.

Why didn't they use the SSB4 renders then?

Ōkami

Most popular (sold) amiibos per region, from left to right, Japan, US, Europe.
Japan
Animal Crossing cards
Mario (Super Mario series amiibo)
Kirby
Link
Mario (Smash Bros amiibo)
Squid Girl
Yoshi (Woolly World amiibo)
Squid Boy
Mario (30th anniversary)
Mario (dunno)

Japan likes their Mario amiibos, will try to translate for the US and EU but pretty tired.

RaidenXZ

Hey quick question: I remember people discussing a second investor's meeting coming up as well. Is that a thing happening still?

Red Devil

Ōkami;183342149 said:
Japan
Animal Crossing cards
Kirby
Link
Squid Girl
Squid Boy
Mario (30th anniversary)
Mario (dunno)

Japan likes their Mario amiibos, will try to translate for the US and EU but pretty tired.

Mario Modern Color is the last one.

Ridley327

Damn, 5 by 2017? That can´t be right, why would they specify March 2017, because of the fiscal year? Seems really low.

The trend these days for mobile is to focus on fewer titles with longer legs. The days of blitzing match three clones but with a different themed confections really don't work anymore.

I think that list was about full game downloads, not DLC.
That doesn't seem right. The Street Pass games are in the list, that would mean they were downloaded more than every other game except the ones on that list?

I'm pretty sure it's DLC revenue. The list doesn't make sense as pure downloads.

SalvaPot

The trend these days for mobile is to focus on fewer titles with longer legs. The days of blitzing match three clones but with a different themed confections really don't work anymore.

I see that, I agree with that since games take time and resources, but Nintendo having a definitive number of titles they plan to release seems arbitrary, maybe that is why I thought this were all confirmed for March 2016, my mistake.

casiopao

Ōkami;183340202 said:
Games with the most downloads.
Super Smash Bros, for WiiU
Mario Mart 8
Super Smash Bros. Nintendo 3DS
Pokemon Rumble World
Can't read the last one.

This does not include download codes with bundles, just what was purchased directly through the eshop, it does however include DLC sales which is why those WiiU games are so high up (so says the Nintendo slides)

Rather than most downloads I think it's most revenue.

The last one is mii plaza. Which probably is one of the reason why miitomo happen lol.

Usobuko

Banned
Ōkami;183342149 said:
Japan
Animal Crossing cards
Kirby
Link
Squid Girl
Squid Boy
Mario (30th anniversary)
Mario (dunno)

Good, Kirby > Yoshi.

Revven

Why didn't they use the SSB4 renders then?

The better question to ask is why did they make it specifically the TP pose if it's not meant to represent what TPHD will look like? That would be very jarring as most video game renders (especially Nintendo's) represent what the characters look like in their respective recently released games. Putting SS Link in the TP pose when TPHD is going to be the most recently released Zelda game (despite being "old") would be a head scratcher if TPHD isn't using the same model and art style.

I see that, I agree with that since games take time and resources, but Nintendo having a definitive number of titles they plan to release seems arbitrary, maybe that is why I thought this were all confirmed for March 2016, my mistake.

NX and console based gaming is still their primary focus. Mobile is just another leg of the business

whipihguh

Banned
The better question to ask is why did they make it specifically the TP pose if it's not meant to represent what TPHD will look like? That would be very jarring as most video game renders (especially Nintendo's) represent what the characters look like in their respective recently released games. Putting SS Link in the TP pose when TPHD is going to be the most recently released Zelda game (despite being "old") would be a head scratcher if TPHD isn't using the same model and art style.

If the next Zelda game coming out is an HD version of Twilight Princess, why not make it look like the TP version of Link? For example, there's no point in making it look like the Wii U version of Link if that game isn't coming out for another year.

TP HD will probably be using a very similar model, even if it's not in the same artstyle.

Somnid

Ōkami;183342149 said:

US:
Link
Mario (Smash Series)
Pikachu
Zelda
Animal Crossing Cards
Luigi
Toon Link
Bowser
Sonic
Peach

EU:
Link
Mario (Smash Series)
Mario (Classic Color)
Pikachu
Yoshi
Samus
Donkey Kong
Fox
Kirby
Yarn Yoshi

Ōkami

Best selling amiibos in the US
Link
Mario (Smash amiibo)
Pikachu
Builder? I guess is another Mario amiibo
Animal Crossing cards
Luigi
Toon Link
Bowser
Sonic
Peach

ffdgh

US:
Link
Mario (Mario Series)
Pikachu
Zelda
Animal Crossing Cards
Luigi
Toon Link
Bowser
Sonic
Peach

EU:
Link
Mario (Mario Series)
Mario (Classic Color)
Pikachu
Yoshi
Samus
Donkey Kong
Fox
Kirby
Yarn Yoshi

Like how the main mario cast makes the top 10 for NA. Surrpised yoshi isn't more popular though...and link being there twice lol.

Somnid

Like how the main mario cast makes the top 10 for NA. Surrpised yoshi isn't more popular though...and link being there twice lol.

I would imagine that the differences in ranking between Amiibo for Japan and EU are statistical anomalies for the US market. Yarn Yoshi probably wasn't out long enough to count.

random25

From the English presentation:

In May, we globally released Splatoon for Wii U as a completely new IP. This is a 4-on-4 online combat game in which players skillfully switch between “squid” and “human” character forms while they compete to cover the largest part of the battle area in ink. We were able to receive high commendation from many consumers regarding the fun of playing this brand-new and unique game only Nintendo can offer.
In Japan, the combined sales figure of its package version and download version surpassed 905,000 units as of last week and we are certain it will reach a million within this year.

To the one who predicted it will sell a million in Japan months before, congratulations!

Ōkami

Last time we got a ranking for the best selling amiibos was on January.

Back then you'd see Wii Fit trainer among the best selling ones, now it's Mario four times.

Miitomo sounds worse than expected
The main character of Miitomo is you. First, you create your own Mii.

The Mii asks you a variety of questions and communicates your answers with your Friends’ Mii.

The people you will be able to communicate with are limited to your friends whom you have registered as Friends. We are designing this communication application to enable Friends to share information comfortably and securely.

In this way, instead of the users proactively sending their own messages, Miitomo has a unique characteristic that can be called “friendly communication starters” as your Mii will automatically dispatch the answers you gave to certain questions to your friends.
These “friendly communication starters” have an advantage that even the people who are less willing to send messages can easily participate. Another unique characteristic of Miitomo is that you may be able to find out unknown aspects about your friends or unexpected commonalities you share with your friend because Miitomo may pick up the topics that you usually do not discuss but would be willing to answer if asked.
What we would like to realize is, through such communication, you will be able to deepen friendly relationships and have more people with whom you can play games.
Both My Nintendo and Miitomo will be available in March 2016.
For reference, more than 200 million Mii characters have been created on our platforms, which means that many people around the world understand the appeal of Mii.

On the other hand, my nintendo sounds awesome. Getting benefits for playing as well as purchasing is awesome for a fan like me, and stuff like discounts or such on your birthday is an awesome idea

This slide is pretty crazy

30.jpg

Digital is exploding and if its increasing this much on Nintendo imagine what its doing on Xbox and Playstation. Makes it very difficult to judge how software is actually performing just using retail

ffdgh

This slide is pretty crazy

30.jpg

Digital is exploding and if its increasing this much on Nintendo imagine what its doing on Xbox and Playstation. Makes it very difficult to judge how software is actually performing just using retail

And it'll likely continue to increase if that new club nintendio replacement is as good as it sounds.

I was gonna say this. I would have picked up other Amiibos if they were available. The only ones I see are Link, Mario, and Peach.

They bring up that stock in stores means that it isn't completely reflective of popularity, and that it's mostly interesting for comparing between regions

Hydrus

Because forget kids right? My dude you have a squirtle avatar with sunglasses...this ain't for you?

Those kids are too busy playing call of duty to think Squirtle is cool. And what of it? It's an image on neogaf. Should I put a pic of a Call of Duty or Destiny player? Will That make Me look Hardcore adult?

Nobody is saying forget kids, but when a videogame company tells its investors " We need to keeping focusing on children with our next project!" despite its failures, it sends a bad message. How about say "Yes we need to do something about the younger age group, but we need to maintain the interest of our adult group as well." Nostalgia isn't going to last forever. Eventually that group is going to move on. And your seeing that with the Wii U. So maybe someday you wont see Squirtle as my avatar.

Yeah but this squirtle is edgy with his sunglasses, and perfect for mature pokefans like myself.
edit: but seriously, answer above. They are still there thanks to kids. IF adult players wanted more they would have bought Bayo 2 and W101 for example. Or ZombiU, Madworld, No More Heroes, etc.

Watch out folks!! This guy is insulting The great Squirtle from Squirtle Squad! That edgy dis!

He thinks Nintendo focuses on kids too much

This. I guess its still hard for people to understand.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
from the English slides

26l.jpg

Nintendo said:
This shows the top titles for download sales, excluding download versions of packaged software.
In particular, the add-on content for Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 made large contributions.

31l.jpg

32l.jpg

Elios83

http://******************.com/news/...tor-briefing-lose-2-48-billion-in-market-cap/

Nintendo and DeNA Stocks Plummit More Than 10% After Investor Briefing, Lose $2.48 Billion in Market Cap

OCTOBER 28, 2015 / BY ELIA PALES
Tatsumi-Kimishima
Nintendo just held its latest investor briefing, announcing to the public that its first mobile title will be delayed to March of next year. In response, Nintendo’s stock has plummeted more than 10%, while DeNA stock lost 17% of its value, the most of any Japanese company in the day. Considering Nintendo’s market share (amount of money invested in the company in total) is about 3 trillion yen right now, this is a loss of about 300 billion yen, or $2.48 billion.

Hopefully Nintendo’s stock makes a recovery sooner rather than later.

Ouch :/ Seems like investors weren't pleased with the delay and what they announced.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029/06.html

Reading the English slides, I get the feeling that Miitomo might be taking some inspiration from the Everybody Votes Channel on the Wii. I fucking LOVED Everybody Votes, so this actually makes me kind of intrigued by the concept. The original idea seems much better suited to a phone app than a console experience in hindsight, too.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd be dead happy if they simply rereleased Everybody Votes on mobile. Maybe I'll go start a petition...

...that nobody else would sign. :-(

Top Bottom