• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They would be fools to not port Sonic Mania. Their fanbase is on Nintendo, and even Project Sonic 2017 is already announced for it.

If Sonic Mania doesn't get a Switch port, that's no good!

Real talk: Really fucking hyped for Sonic Mania. It's the real Sonic 4. I've waited a long time for this.

You have to consider that SEGA is really, really stupid though.

For example, look at those Sonic iOS remake/ports, also done by Taxman. They're typically considered the definitive and best versions of the original two games by far, but here's the kicker: they're exclusive to iOS for absolutely no reason. Taxman's Sonic CD remake/port is allowed to be multiplatform but his Sonic 1 & 2 ports aren't on anywhere except for smart phones and tablets. It's bullshit.

So yeah, SEGA sucks. I honestly won't be surprised if Sonic Mania isn't brought over to Switch.

Snakeyes

jTlqkNv.png

What third party games you would buy if they announce it for Nintendo Switch?

Thanks, BDGAME.

Everything aside from traditional fighting games, mostly because stick support will probably be iffy. The convenience of the portable aspect trumps everything else otherwise.

EDarkness

For example, look at those Sonic iOS remake/ports, also done by Taxman. They're typically considered the definitive and best versions of the original two games by far, but here's the kicker: they're exclusive to iOS for absolutely no reason. Taxman's Sonic CD remake/port is allowed to be multiplatform but his Sonic 1 & 2 ports aren't on anywhere except for smart phones and tablets. It's bullshit.

So yeah, SEGA sucks. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Mania isn't brought over to Switch.

I'm still surprised it wasn't announced in the beginning when they announced the other Sonic game. What would really be the point of not bringing it over, unless they think it'll screw with sales of the PS4/XBO versions? I hope people bug them enough so that they change their mind and release it on the NS, too.

AdanVC

I was about to buy a PS4 this morning to play FFXV. I was literally just a click away, I had my order ready and all but I decided not to get it on the very end in order to fully save money to get a Nintendo Switch on launch day with tons of games so you better no dissapoint, Nintendo!

MoonFrog

I do agree with a lot of what you're saying. The gameplay mechanics and the gating/progression of DS and Metroid are completely different.

What I think the DS teams can bring to a Metroid game though is cohesive level design. DS1 is in my opinion one of the best showcases of level design in any game, let alone the Metroidvania genre. Metroid generally has that labyrinthine feel with branching paths blocked by platforming/upgrade related challenges, but the different areas in the games don't feel terribly cohesive. In Prime, you have "shortcuts" connecting back to previous areas, but they don't make much sense in the context of the actual world.

DS1 on the other hand gives absolutely every area except Lost Izalith a purpose for being there, for appearing the way it does, and for connecting to the other areas that it connects to. I might be slightly off by calling it just level design- it's more the merging of level design with atmosphere that I found to be phenomenal with Dark Souls. And that's something that Prime is also known for, though I think it can be improved upon greatly.

I can appreciate that.

I also want a Metroid with heavier, moodier, lore-based fiction. Another thing I don't think we'll get from Sakamoto or Tanabe with their apparent visions for the mode and content of Metroid's stories. Think Metroid is locked into "anime" melodrama fixated on the "juxtaposition" of Samus' adventures and being a woman (but no, it's the audience's problem /s) (Fusion, Other M) or a Sunday morning super hero cartoon (Hunters, Prime 3, Federation Force, hypothetical Prime 4 Tanabe describes) unless one of them has a change of heart or someone else gets to express their vision.

I was about to buy a PS4 this morning to play FFXV. I was literally just a click away, I had my order ready and all but I decided not to get it on the very end in order to fully save money to get a Nintendo Switch on launch day with tons of games so you better no dissapoint, Nintendo!

The fact we're getting Pokemon is a done deal for me.

So, as of now, I consider buying a premium bundle, mario switch, skyrim, and a pro controller on launch day.

Of course, by release day the information will change and my list may vary...

My wallet is already shaking

Edit: I forgot the larger micro sd I will be able to use on this thing.

jTlqkNv.png

Thanks, BDGAME.

Is there a third-party racing game coming out any time soon? If so, that. Maybe '90s Arcade Racer? And we already know RISE: Race The Future is coming.

I'd probably buy Sonic Mania, too.

I can see myself in the bed, with some earphones, exploring dungeons at 2 AM. The perfect setting.

Unfortunately I think the rumor stated it was like the PS4 version, so mods only with the in-game assets.

Horrible... the PS4 mods are a joke. (not the mod authors, they do the best they can with Sonys idiotic restrictions)

AdanVC

The fact we're getting Pokemon is a done deal for me.

Absolutely, that is why I also decided to skip Sun/Moon! Hope the wait is worth (and that rumor of Pokémon Stars is true!)

We should discuss how the Switch needs to have a sleek and sexy UI.

Yess! This is an important one. Hope it is nothing, NOTHING like the Wii U one. It worked well but damn it looked ugly and outdated af since it was designed to navigate with Wii remotes as well, that is why the buttons are hugeee. Hope NS UI it can be as minimalistic as possible.

The money I'll be spending so far

-$300 for the premium bundle to get Splatoon
-$60 for 3D Mario
-$60 for Skyrim
-Maybe $60 for Mario X Rabbids, but if it's truly a SRPG, then I'm not buying it.

MoonFrog

We should discuss how the Switch needs to have a sleek and sexy UI.
Yeah, Nintendo was going for cute, unoffensive, and charming with Wii/Wii U.

I want a UI that reminds me of GCN aesthetic tbh. Cute, toy-like gaming product that takes itself seriously as just that. I want it to exude "gaming device." Beyond that I want it to be clean and yet still capture the cuteness of Nintendo in some way, like the GCN startup video did.

I'm not sure red/white works as well as purple/black/white on screens. Red might be too bright, at least Nintendo red.

Edit: I guess I want sexy/cute is what I'm saying, which, thinking about it, makes sense to me that that's what I'd want...

Based on the two seconds we saw of the back from the trailer, is anyone concerned that ZR/ZL might not be analog triggers? They didn't look like they had much depth to them for analog sensitivity. The third party game I'm hoping to see on Switch the most is Rocket League, so I'd hope the triggers are analog.

Matbtz

Based on the two seconds we saw of the back from the trailer, is anyone concerned that ZR/ZL might not be analog triggers? They didn't look like they had much depth to them for analog sensitivity. The third party game I'm hoping to see on Switch the most is Rocket League, so I'd hope the triggers are analog.
And for Mario Sunshine HD !

They are analog triggers according to Laura I believe. Nintendo isn't going to mess that up again. They need it for F-Zero.

EDarkness

Yess! This is an important one. Hope it is nothing, NOTHING like the Wii U one. It worked well but damn it looked ugly and outdated af since it was designed to navigate with Wii remotes as well, that is why the buttons are hugeee. Hope NS UI it can be as minimalistic as possible.

I didn't have a problem with the Wii U UI. And I hope we get to navigate the NS OS with remotes as well.

The one thing I want with the NS UI is the ability to have wallpaper and themes. The 3DS has spoiled me.

Neoxon

So yeah, SEGA sucks. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Mania isn't brought over to Switch.
Also consider that the Sonic Mania team is basically a Sega-vetted indie group. They may not have Switch dev kits right now.

Retrobox

It just occured to me that games like Mario Kart, which were played with digital triggers on Wii U, will make it to the Switch featuring (most likely) analog triggers.

I wonder if they're actually gonna make use of this change for the enhanced versions?

MacTag

Banned
I don't think Sonic Mania will make the Switch launch because of this, but I'm hoping it's out by the summer.
If we get a Sonic Mania port I expect it'll probably be handed off to another already certified indie dev. Like how Blitworks ported Sonic CD for 360/PS3/PC. Heck, maybe Blitworks could do it actually.

What third party games would I buy? That's a pretty open question. But narrowing it to games known to exist for other platforms that seem very feasible to show up: I'm hoping most for DQ Builders, FF XII Zodiac Age, GTA V. Maybe could finally be convinced to retry Kingdom Hearts if they'd port Kingdom Hearts I.414+II.888898. I'd say Skyrim if we didn't already know it.

Roo

jTlqkNv.png

Thanks, BDGAME.

I'd say Rayman, Child of Light and Sonic Transformed sequels.
Really depends on what else is announced for it but I'd rather buy third party games for my PS4.

EDarkness

Oh that'd be great. If anything I imagine it would be another Project X Zone since it be to little time for development on their next Xeno game.

Haven't they been finished with Xenoblade X for a couple of years now? I can imagine they'd probably have enough of their new game to show a little teaser trailer.

jTlqkNv.png

Thanks, BDGAME.

Soma. I would totally be in for a nice horror game, so I further name:
Fatal Frame and
Silent Hill 1 Remaster.
Zombi 2 would be great and maybe Day Z (has this game recovered?)

And of course:
Monster Hunter 5.
Dark Souls.

I would go nuts over
Baten Kaitos 3 (with the same music composer, please!)
and a new Chrono Trigger.
Oh, and Fantasy Life 2 would be so so so bought!

DMONKUMA

Haven't they been finished with Xenoblade X for a couple of years now? I can imagine they'd probably have enough of their new game to show a little teaser trailer.

It's only been about a year since X released but maybe they could do a teaser or something, I just wouldn't expect something like gameplay however.

None of them is true.

People are going to get totally disappointed and underwhelmed, it's not even Nintendo's fault.

...except, they are true?

It's one thing to temper expectations, but you're just being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Eurogamer, Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale have all proven to be reliable sources.

They better not lock the bigger storage into a bundle with a Wii U port that a lot of us may already own. Or else its BAF and its WAM!

Just keep in mind that each of those ports is rumoured to have a substantial amount of brand new content. Emily Rogers said half new content, half old content though I doubt that was meant literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom