• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

New Question of the Day!
Do you have any guesses what Nintendo Switch would be priced at?

I'm going to say $300 for the base model.
They might push it to $350 with a premium bundle that includes extra accesories/game/controller/whatever.

Since there are no more handheld and console business per se, I expect to see different Switch SKUs to please as many people as possible with different bundles that meet their needs the best.

Nintendo launching this thing for 350 would be a deathblow. 250 is where I could see them hitting a moderate success. 3rd party support is still primarily going to be on other consoles and this is not the start of a new generation for most other people.

Ninja Dom

What do people think the chances that the Switch has access to the Android Play Store and can also play games from there?

Is there a risk to piracy of Nintendo's own games if this were the case?

EDarkness

I'm not sure what the price would be, but I'm guessing $299 with a pack in game. I hope the accessories aren't that expensive.

Snakeyes

$249 would be a decent price, preferably with a pack-in game that benefits from being played both at home and on the go. I don't think they should go near or over $300 unless it's a premium bundle with a Pro Controller and/or Zelda. The hybrid concept is not a proven seller and $300 immediately puts it in competition with better established platforms like the PS4 and XB1. $300 is where "Cool, I can use this while not being tethered to the TV!" can become "How likely am I to use this away from the TV, anyway? Wouldn't I be better off with a/stick to my regular console?"

$199, unlikely as it may seem, would be an excellent price if they want to really overcome most objections a potential customer could have.

TheMoon

I am, and I'm saying your use of it was wrong and misleading

The first scene of the first trailer for the Wii U reveal literally showed off a non dual-screen use. "Interacting with two screens" is something the Wii U probably should have done more of, in fact. Off-TV Play hindered this.

So, what are we arguing about exactly? Or why, more specifically? My point was that Wii U's pitch was about two screens. Off-TV was one element of that which grew to be the most widely accepted feature of the system while asymmetric gameplay and DS-like dual-screen features were mostly rejected but still remained a big part of many of the major exclusives.

Contrasted with the Switch which has a straightforward "either this screen or that screen" setup. Unless they pull a "gotcha! also has a secret two-screen mode!" feature out of their hat at the last minute.

That's what I was getting at, now drawn out into a long-form post.

My guess for the price is, like others have said, $249.99 USD. This will include:
- The Nintendo Switch Console
- 2 Joy-Con (L + R)
- The Dock
- The Joy-Con Grip

I'm sure the grip will be included because there is absolutely no way the out of the box solution for playing off your tv is to hold the two separate Joy-Con. I can't imagine Nintendo doing that, but I'm also wary of the battery of the controllers, and the grip may offer a solution there.

I would guess that there will be some kind of NintendoLand-esque free software, but maybe not. Just makes sense that there would be some Nintendo-y collection of small games that show you what the Switch has to offer. Hard to imagine since, from a GAMEPLAY perspective, the Switch appears to be less gimmick-y than its recently predecessors, but I'm sure there's some cute thing we haven't seen yet.

But, yeah. $250. I'll be pretty surprised at $300, but will still buy (no way it goes higher, in my eyes). Under $250 would be a dream.

Snakeyes

Same as Wii U. $300 standard, $350 deluxe.

The tech is too complex for it to be any lower, imo.

What makes you think that? There's nothing particularly exotic here. The 3DS had an expensive and uncommon screen technology. The Wii U had its proprietary streaming tech. The Switch is a tablet with two cheap clip-on controllers and a glorified TV-out. The rumored clock boost when connected to a power source is something even budget laptops have been doing for a very long time.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Hoping for £250, expecting £300. Either way, I've started saving because I reckon I'll end up spending >£400 at launch anyway if the line-up is decent.

There is no way this is $300. They need to compete with the PS4 Slim and XBO deals that are absurdly good.

It's dead at $300, and it might be dead at $250. It really needs to be no more than $250 to have even a chance, and $199 - $229 is probably the idea price.

New Question of the Day!

jU6NxhA.png

Do you have any guesses what Nintendo Switch would be priced at?

I've been on team $199 since the reveal and I'm still there. Because I think they can still make a profit at that price judging by the Shield product lines.

I really hope it's not above 300, not so much because I would mind paying 50 more (which I would, obviously), but because it would indeed be sending the system out to die, and I really really want it to be successful. Nintendo enthusiasts in this thread should try to be a bit more realistic and understand they are not most people and Nintendo can't live off of you alone.

Even at 300 it would still have to fight an uphill battle against a dominating PS4 / Pro, the Wii U's poor reception, the general public pretty much not caring about Nintendo anymore, smartphones eating up the portable space, and a long etcetera.

If Nintendo was willing to sell them at a loss, at 200 I could see them making a killing.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
With what I've seen, $299 US, especially with the stand sold included.

Costs and complexity have increased a lot from the GameCube era, as has inflation, yet even that console launched at $199.

The New 3DS XL MSRP is 199.99 and people are expecting the Switch, Nintendo's new home console, to be 199.99..?

It's going to be between $249.99 and 349.99 and they could totally make it 279.99

Also, the grip has to be included, there is no electrical components. It's just plastic and those light tube things.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The New 3DS XL MSRP is 199.99 and people are expecting the Switch, Nintendo's new home console, to be 199.99..?

It's going to be between $249.99 and 349.99 and they could totally make it 279.99

Also, the grip has to be included, there is no electrical components. It's just plastic and those light tube things.

You act as if they can't instantly drop the MSRP of the 3DS whenever they want.

Hieberrr

I think it'll be $299-349, or at least in Canada. I believe the 3DS launched in Canada at $249 or even more. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if the Switch isnt more than $299-349.

Neoxon

It can't go over $299 unless Nintendo wants the Switch to get bodied by the more powerful PS4 & XB1, both of which have a bigger library of games.

Clessidor

I'm still expecting:

249€ for the basic console

299€ for bundles (console + pre-installed game [+maybe the pro-controller])

Cartho

They've GOT to get it in for £250 or less. It will be 100% dead in the water if it's going up against PS4 Slim / Xbox One S bundles which are already selling on Amazon for £240 WITH a game bundled in. You can buy a PS4 slim with Call of Duty Infinite Warfare bundled in for £219 on Amazon UK too right now.

If they can get it out for £200 that would be incredible as that would start putting it into impulse buy territory for alot of people.

Nintendo simply doesn;t have the kind of traction with younger people that it used to for them to release an expensive box which is less powerful than its competitors (which it will be). I work in a Primary School and most of the kids there (ages ranging from 4 - 11) play games on mum / dad / older brother / sister's tablet, or they play games on a Playstation or an Xbox. When they talk about Pokemon they are talking about Pokemon GO, not a mainline handheld game. When they talk about games they play / want they're talking about Minecraft, FIFA, Destiny and sometimes Call of Duty. Most of the conversations I have with the kids in my class are about who I've got in my Ultimate Team. The older ones talk about Assassins Creed etc. They're not talking about Splatoon, or Donkey Kong or Mario Kart. This is a shame as these games are way more age appropriate than much of the stuff they are playing but that's a different topic.

My point is, Nintendo can't afford to release a machine which has less impressive graphics and can't play Call of Duty / FIFA (although we don't know if it will be able to do these at launch - maybe it will!) while costing more money. It will kill the unit before it's even got going.

IF they can get good software support then it may well gain ALOT of traction though. If people think they can play a PROPER version of FIFA (not the crummy tablet versions) on the go then that could well make it a very tempting purchase. The Price has GOT to come under £250 imo though. Any more will be a serious problem.

$299 with a Switch Sampler included (first level or something of the like of games that you can then buy to unlock full versions).

Also includes the Joy-Con grip.

As an aside, after playing with the Famicom Mini's tiny controllers and finding no issues, I'm guessing I wouldn't have a problem with the Switch's detachable controllers.

$250 usd or Nintendo is bonkers.

Anything higher then that and they'll be tossing away their handheld market. Even $250 seems extremely risky here. They should probably offer a $200 version with no dock. To keep these costumers.

The people who would be willing to pay more than that really don't seem to care for handhelds and will just stick to consoles with more power and 3rd party support.

Xun

They've GOT to get it in for £250 or less. It will be 100% dead in the water if it's going up against PS4 Slim / Xbox One S bundles which are already selling on Amazon for £240 WITH a game bundled in. You can buy a PS4 slim with Call of Duty Infinite Warfare bundled in for £219 on Amazon UK too right now.

If they can get it out for £200 that would be incredible as that would start putting it into impulse buy territory for alot of people.

Nintendo simply doesn;t have the kind of traction with younger people that it used to for them to release an expensive box which is less powerful than its competitors (which it will be). I work in a Primary School and most of the kids there (ages ranging from 4 - 11) play games on mum / dad / older brother / sister's tablet, or they play games on a Playstation or an Xbox. When they talk about Pokemon they are talking about Pokemon GO, not a mainline handheld game. When they talk about games they play / want they're talking about Minecraft, FIFA, Destiny and sometimes Call of Duty. Most of the conversations I have with the kids in my class are about who I've got in my Ultimate Team. The older ones talk about Assassins Creed etc. They're not talking about Splatoon, or Donkey Kong or Mario Kart. This is a shame as these games are way more age appropriate than much of the stuff they are playing but that's a different topic.

My point is, Nintendo can't afford to release a machine which has less impressive graphics and can't play Call of Duty / FIFA (although we don't know if it will be able to do these at launch - maybe it will!) while costing more money. It will kill the unit before it's even got going.

IF they can get good software support then it may well gain ALOT of traction though. If people think they can play a PROPER version of FIFA (not the crummy tablet versions) on the go then that could well make it a very tempting purchase. The Price has GOT to come under £250 imo though. Any more will be a serious problem.
I definitely wouldn't go in at £250.

Ideally around £200, but with Brexit? Who knows...

Nintendo is pricing 3DS under 100 dollars this holiday... And I'd argue that they will keep the prices lower than they are now next year. They want to keep selling 3DS even after the Switch comes.

So if anything, it would make sense that Switch is priced somewhere near the 3DS price (250, if I have to take a guess) so they can have the premium portable console and then the cheaper handheld.

The are not going to price the Switch as a home console, they will take a hybrid aproach in this too.

MoonFrog

Guessing $299, with $349 for a potential "pro" SKU with more storage. Maybe $249 for base price.

Hoping it comes with a game too, at least a proof of concept game like Wii sports or Nintendoland. A Zelda launch bundle could be pretty cool, but I doubt it (though I don't know much about bundles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom