• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonFrog

If the Switch is an utter sales flop, is horribly underpowered, works poorly as a portable, and gets near-zero third-party support, I'll still be happy I bought it, provided it has at least as many superb exclusives as the Wii U did. Am I crazy?
On those grounds at least, no. Personally, I want the Switch to do better than the Wii U, both for me and for Nintendo. Wii U is a console I don't regret buying but it does display a shrinking Nintendo for me and lacks Zelda/Metroid, leaving me wanting more and less satisfied than I tend to be with Nintendo. I want a booming Nintendo experience, particular with respect to single player games.

Moreover, I want a booming Japan again and the multiplatform opportunity Switch offers is the best chance at such since Wii/DS.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Reviving this question, I'd definitely double-dip for MvC4 if it's real & coming to the Switch. I'd have to get it on PS4 due to locals, but still.

Ehh, I think a Nintendo Vs. Capcom is more likely in all honesty, if Sony are involved in MvC4 they are going to lock that down.

Neoxon

Ehh, I think a Nintendo Vs. Capcom is more likely in all honesty, if Sony are involved in MvC4 they are going to lock that down.
I'm saying if it isn't locked down by Sony. Though I'm not sure if Capcom would do any other fighters this gen besides SFV & MvC4.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm sorry that I didn't get any question up yesterday because of few reasons. Now I'm back with someone's question. Huge thanks to Skittzo0413.

zex5oKs.png

What kind of connections do you expect between the Switch and Nintendo's mobile games/My Nintendo reward program?

LordKano

I can only think of the switch reveal date, what else?

There was supposed to be three more third party exclusive for the Wii U, following the Devil's Third announcement. There was none.

Some other stuff too, but I can't recall them right now, I'll do some research later.

daakusedo

There was supposed to be three more third party exclusive for the Wii U, following the Devil's Third announcement. There was none.

Some other stuff too, but I can't recall them right now, I'll do some research later.

Hope your research will be fruitful because looks like we're far from "a lot of times".

I'm sorry that I didn't get any question up yesterday because of few reasons. Now I'm back with someone's question. Huge thanks to Skittzo0413.

zex5oKs.png

What kind of connections do you expect between the Switch and Nintendo's mobile games/My Nintendo reward program?

I fully expect Miitomo to have a part in the Switch regardless of whether it's directly playable on the console. At the very least I want to see my Mii with my chosen clothing as my avatar. Aside from that, I think we'll see achievements on Switch in the form of My Nintendo coins.

J@hranimo

Banned

zex5oKs.png

I believe we'll see MyNintendo's full potential on the new platform. More titles associated with your Nintendo Account and hopefully a better rollout of VC titles with great emulation is how it could happen.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
You can't expect 100% true facts even if you work in the industry. It's just impossible.

Rumors definitely are never 100% certain, no matter who says them, because lots of stuff is always changing. However, I do want to say that, yes, you can and should always expect "100% true facts." If it's not 100% true, then it's not a fact and it's either an assumption or fiction that has been improperly presented.

LordKano

Hope your research will be fruitful because looks like we're far from "a lot of times".

Well :

- New third-party IP exclusive for Wii U and from a big japanese studio, supposed to release in 2014 (and it's not Bayo 2) : https://twitter.com/nicowav/status/416947865437470720
Never happened

- Three third party exclusives were supposed to be announced following Devil's Third and before the end of the year 2015 : never happened
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837335

- 2015 was supposed to be one worthwile Nintendo game per month, and I don't really need to tell you what 2015 was for both consoles : a real wasteland.
https://twitter.com/NicoWav/status/499854437880696832?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And well, you've got the rumor about the reveal trailer for the NX, which you already know about.

I hope that's enough for "a lot of things".

daakusedo

Well :

- New third-party IP exclusive for Wii U and from a big japanese studio, supposed to release in 2014 (and it's not Bayo 2) : https://twitter.com/nicowav/status/416947865437470720
Never happened

- Three third party exclusives were supposed to be announced following Devil's Third and before the end of the year 2015 : never happened
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837335

- 2015 was supposed to be one worthwile Nintendo game per month, and I don't really need to tell you what 2015 was for both consoles : a real wasteland.
https://twitter.com/NicoWav/status/499854437880696832?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And well, you've got the rumor about the reveal trailer for the NX, which you already know about.

I hope that's enough for "a lot of things".

To be honest, not really to me, especially the thing when he get carried away with the 2015 lineup.
He said a lot of things about switch, now there's potential lol

And your first point was devil third.

Have we discussed how Wii owners will be able to transfer their VC titles/proof of digital purchase historyto the Switch? There's essentially 90 million Wii owners out there that for all intents and purpose will think that the Switch is the next Nintendo console.

Do we think Nintendo will do a small firmware update for the Wii and vWii?

I've been wondering how the software tie ratio for Switch will pan out, since that's traditionally been pretty different for home and portable machines.

1. Low like portable.
2. Somewhere in between.
3. Like a home console.
4. Higher, due to some people buying the number of games they otherwise would've spread across two hardwares.

I suppose 3 is the safe bet at least to begin with. Positioned as more of a home console, not yet cheap enough to grab the portable buyer who would be satisfied with very few games.

MCN

Banned
Have we discussed how Wii owners will be able to transfer their VC titles/proof of digital purchase historyto the Switch? There's essentially 90 million Wii owners out there that for all intents and purpose will think that the Switch is the next Nintendo console.

I don't think those people have digital purchases to transfer.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Strangely enough, that wording appears only when you're visiting the site on Wii U and 3DS. Otherwise, it's the normal site, with "March 2017" and everything else.

Terrell

I never saw the wisdom in still having Wii Shop Channel open until you mentioned this.

I don't think those people have digital purchases to transfer.

... you're joking, right?

rekameohs

Banned

Interesting question. I could see it. My guess is that Wii U and 3DS VC's will move to Switch at a discount (I would love free, but I doubt it). Maybe Wii as well - stacking multiple consoles for bigger discounts? lol

Gleethor

I never saw the wisdom in still having Wii Shop Channel open until you mentioned this.

... you're joking, right?
I mean, some of them do for sure. But soooo many casual wii owners had zero clue about VC and Wiiware. I'm always baffled by how poorly Nintendo has utilized VC in advertising.

I think the majority of wii owners that had significant purchases to transfer did so to Wii U, accommodating a Wii to Switch transfer is such a low priority that I doubt Nintendo has even considered it.

oti

Banned
I'm reviewing Mario Maker for 3DS these days and I just realized Switch doesn't have a d-pad. I can't play 2D Mario with the analog thingy on the 3DS and on Wii U I always use the d-pad. I hope they'll release a Joy-Con with a d-pad on Switch. Id buy it for 2D games alone.

I'm reviewing Mario Maker for 3DS these days and I just realized Switch doesn't have a d-pad. I can't play 2D Mario with the analog thingy on the 3DS and on Wii U I always use the d-pad. I hope they'll release a Joy-Con with a d-pad on Switch. Id buy it for 2D games alone.
That's a no brainer for them, sure they would want to do that before a third party beats them to it. There's a dpad on the new pro controller so it's not like they are trying to present it as a benefit to single player.
That's assuming their 2d games still support directional buttons, but I think they will.

He isn't worth listening to.
Pro controller has one. I can see there being an optional Joy Con with a d-pad, but likely sold as a set, maybe themed to SNES or something

Terrell

The kind of people who don't know the WiiU is a thing are generally the kind of people who played Wii Sports and nothing else.

I mean, some of them do for sure. But soooo many casual wii owners had zero clue about VC and Wiiware. I'm always baffled by how poorly Nintendo has utilized VC in advertising.

I think the majority of wii owners that had significant purchases to transfer did so to Wii U, accommodating a Wii to Switch transfer is such a low priority that I doubt Nintendo has even considered it.

The major conceit of this is the notion that every hardcore gamer who bought VC titles on Wii is a Wii U owner, and even this forum will indicate to you and anyone else that such a thing is not the case, not by a long shot. One can know what a Wii U is and still not bothered to buy one, which this forum will also clearly illustrate.

I really can't fathom why else they would continue to leave Wii Shop Channel open, when clearly there's no more revenue to be made there at this point, if not to preserve the purchase history of prior users.

Pokemaniac

The major conceit of this is the notion that every hardcore gamer who bought VC titles on Wii is a Wii U owner, and even this forum will indicate to you and anyone else that such a thing is not the case, not by a long shot. One can know what a Wii U is and still not bothered to buy one, which this forum will also clearly illustrate.

I really can't fathom why else they would continue to leave Wii Shop Channel open, when clearly there's no more revenue to be made there at this point, if not to preserve the purchase history of prior users.

Also because Wii mode on Wii U kinda relies on it still being there.

You guys dismiss SMD's videos way too much. Forget he's the one making the videos. Nobody likes him and he still has his own agenda, but this is coming from Nico who has gotten things right.

He says Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming and the Switch is as powerful as the PS4 when docked.

That would mean there are parts in that dock and there's no way in hell its going to cost $250 I fell unless he way saying there's an attachment you can add to the dock to make the Switch as powerful as the PS4.

I haven't watch the whole video to know how it was worded. It's still interesting because Nico got some things right and Nico did say that Mario sports game for 3DS was coming to Switch also.

I'm not sure which source it was, but I recall one of them mentioning something like swappable Joy-Con parts.

You guys dismiss SMD's videos way too much. Forget he's the one making the videos. Nobody likes him and he still has his own agenda, but this is coming from Nico who has gotten things right.

He says Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming and the Switch is as powerful as the PS4 when docked.

That would mean there are parts in that dock and there's no way in hell its going to cost $250 I fell unless he way saying there's an attachment you can add to the dock to make the Switch as powerful as the PS4.

I haven't watch the whole video to know how it was worded. It's still interesting because Nico got some things right and Nico did say that Mario sports game for 3DS was coming to Switch also.
IIRC, one of the few things Nintendo said officially is that docking would not improve performance and only would serve as a charging station

Malakai

IIRC, one of the few things Nintendo said officially is that docking would not improve performance and only would serve as a charging station

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

Source

The quoted statement above from Nintendo doesn't say anything about the dock NOT providing extra power. In fact, it doesn't confirm nor deny if the dock have additional hardware and/or let the Switch overclock. Basically, it says that the Switch brains is in the tablet-like component. Unfortunately, you had media sources interpreting the statement like this Verge article: The Nintendo Switch dock is only for charging and TV output. The title is misleading due it having the word "only" when Nintendo's own statement doesn't even have the word "only" in it or any word usage to imply "only".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom