• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't support Optical Audio out....

Syriel

But not passed through from hdmi.

Good TVs will pass through 5.1 over optical *if* you are sending a DD 5.1 bitstream over HDMI. If you are sending 5.1 PCM the TV isn't going to re-encode that to DD 5.1 to send it out over optical. It'll just send a 2 ch PCM.

Yep. The audio lag in HDMI drives me nuts, once you notice it. Anyone who has gone optical knows this. You literally cannot experience things like sports the same way (delayed sounds of e.g. Puck being hit in hockey), shooters the same way (delayed sounds of someone firing bullet), or games like Rocksmith or Rock Band or Dance Dance Revolution or other music games that heavily relies on sound to be precisely timed.

People complain about video lag, but audio is as important as video.

That is poor equipment. Not a problem with HDMI.

The same digital signal (assuming you're talking about DD 5.1) is sent over the wire. It doesn't matter if it is HDMI or optical or coax.

I'm not sure those HDMI to optical converters will work with the Switch since the Switch outputs 5.1pcm and those converters and optical audio cables only support Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1. I doubt they can encode the pcm signal into Dolby Digital.

Optical can't handle 5.1 PCM.

hrm..i have an optical audio external sound processor for dolby 7.1...my motherboard came with optical audio built in, so I guess lots of people?

people not trying to shave coins off for cost versus performance?

Not Nintendo?

No, you don't. Optical cannot carry a 7.1 channel Dolby signal. Full stop.

What's a good hdmi receiver that is also future-proof ( HDR compliant) and also cheap?
I don't want to update to a new receiver only to be non compatible with new crap in a year or two.

ElNino

Good TVs will pass through 5.1 over optical *if* you are sending a DD 5.1 bitstream over HDMI. If you are sending 5.1 PCM the TV isn't going to re-encode that to DD 5.1 to send it out over optical. It'll just send a 2 ch PCM.
Plenty of "good" TVs will only send a 2.0 signal from the TV (be it optical or HDMI ARC) unless it is coming from an OTA signal. Even a DD 5.1 signal going to my plasma will only send 2.0 via ARC, which is why my cable box sends HDMI directly to the TV and sends the audio to the AVR via optical.

However, in this case (with the Switch) it is sending LPCM which as you said would only be passed as 2.0 anyways, even on a "good" TV.

HDMI ARC FTW
Which would only send a 2.0 signal to the receiver in this case (see above).

Since like 2008 my Mixamp setup has relied on optical, but yeah it's pretty ancient. Has there been a Mixamp equivalent (game+voice mixing) that uses HDMI for higher quality audio? I wouldn't mind upgrading, but I'm just not sure if anything better has come along.

What's a good hdmi receiver that is also future-proof ( HDR compliant) and also cheap?
I don't want to update to a new receiver only to be non compatible with new crap in a year or two.

Not so cheap right now, but I picked it on on sale just before xmas for 350. I am sure it will go on sale again. I like this site to track changes on stuff I am looking at buying.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Pioneer-VSX-1131-7-2-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/product/B01EN005W0

Madao

man, i wonder what kind of ancient receivers people have that don't support HDMI audio. my receiver is pretty old and the thing can take PCM audio over HDMI.

i don't think Nintendo is the one to blame for this.

the ethernet port is something much more worth of people's time when it comes to complaining since they sell adapters for that instead of including it in the dock.

Azerare

man, i wonder what kind of ancient receivers people have that don't support HDMI audio. my receiver is pretty old and the thing can take PCM audio over HDMI.

the ethernet port is something much more worth of people's time when it comes to complaining since they sell adapters for that instead of including it in the dock.
Yeah the ethernet port not being on the dock is more weirder.

btkadams

Yeah the ethernet port not being on the dock is more weirder.
This. Lack of Ethernet in nintendo consoles is far weirder, since there isn't really anything that's replaced it. It's annoying for me since I live in an apartment building with plenty of WiFi congestion, but I guess that might not necessarily be the norm.

xch1n

This. Lack of Ethernet in nintendo consoles is far weirder, since there isn't really anything that's replaced it. It's annoying for me since I live in an apartment building with plenty of WiFi congestion, but I guess that might not necessarily be the norm.

My high density apartment meant that I HAD to get a Wii U adapter to play Splatoon - not a single 2.4GHz channel was free enough to let me stay in a match for more than a few seconds. Fortunately I already have the adapter. Unfortunately the Switch needs the adapter which is really annoying.

Upside is they're supporting ac, so at least there's a chance I can have stable wifi on it.

My high density apartment meant that I HAD to get a Wii U adapter to play Splatoon - not a single 2.4GHz channel was free enough to let me stay in a match for more than a few seconds. Fortunately I already have the adapter. Unfortunately the Switch needs the adapter which is really annoying.

Upside is they're supporting ac, so at least there's a chance I can have stable wifi on it.

ac works on the largely unused 5 GHz band so if your router supports ac you'll definitely have a much better existence. 2.4 GHz band is basically unusable in most places these days.

I didn't realize this was outdated/didn't support new things, as every TV I've looked at had it, including smart TVs. Meanwhile, my new Sharp Roku TV with optical only has composite input as opposed to joint component/composite input,
(I really wanted the Roku interface and am really enjoying it, so I'll deal with it, I'll just need to get a framemeister or something someday)

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Does it have RCA audio out like the Wii-U?

Because I don't know how I'm supposed to hook it up to my stereo otherwise.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you still rely on optical out then you don't have a "quality 5.1 setup," sorry. It's time to upgrade. It's been time to upgrade since about 2012.

The only problem with this is that you could have a cheap to mid range receiver this year vs an older non-hdmi receiver of high quality and the latter would still be better.

Also the people that use headset usually need them. Not sure if those work with TV optical out instead or not.

PrimeX

Toslink is not really an issue for majority of ppl, but the format really is.
I had a lot of trouble with the WiiU not supporting Dolby or DTS. Ofcourse the uncompressed format PCM was better, cheaper and supported but not a lot of ppl had a receiver for that, including myself.
Now I really wonder if they got on the same path of PCM...

Hypron

Since like 2008 my Mixamp setup has relied on optical, but yeah it's pretty ancient. Has there been a Mixamp equivalent (game+voice mixing) that uses HDMI for higher quality audio? I wouldn't mind upgrading, but I'm just not sure if anything better has come along.

There's no need for HDMI for stereo sound; optical already supports lossless stereo audio.

drotahorror

It's a shame it isn't supported. Audio via HDMI is a nightmare.

Say what?

Anyways, a bit different topic but I hope they support full range RGB. I was disappointed when I bought a Wii U and it didn't support it. At the time all I had as a monitor that did not support limited range.

Optical out is a dinosaur now. HDMI has been the standard for many years now. You can expect many electronic devices to drop optical Toslink going forward. Look into upgrading your receiver.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175592

That is a list of all the Wii U games that actually supported 5.1. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what interface Nintendo uses if developers are just going to output stereo. I sincerely doubt support would get better for something that might be marketed or internally viewed as a handheld depending on who you talk to.

Wow, I had no idea; that's balls. Guess you can throw on a DD/DTS Matrix but that's really a poor substitute.

I still use optical for the PS4 Pro as the upgrade path from what I have now seems to have taken a hike in terms of price considering I would have to now buy a receiver that caters for both 4K and HDR in order to get the most out of it.

I'd connect everything to the telly and then use ARC to my old system but I've never been able to get that to function correctly and lag free.

hlhbk

FYI to those posting and wondering my self. I have a Logitech z906 speakers I use on my pc and sound amazing. The replacement speakers that Logitech released for these sound significantly worse even though they have other connections. The z906 has PC speaker input, RCA audio input, 2 digital inputs, and 1 coaxial input.

I am running a sound blaster Z sound card and again no HDMI inputs. This is the only sound system we have.

Chitown B

get a better receiver. Anything after like 2007 should have HDMI.

PS4 slim doesn't have optical out

You can get splitters that output HDMI + Optical.

hlhbk

get a better receiver. Anything after like 2007 should have HDMI.

PS4 slim doesn't have optical out

You can get splitters that output HDMI + Optical.

I paid $300+ for this system (it still sells for that much) and it works great so I am not looking to replace it any time soon.

I paid $300+ for this system (it still sells for that much) and it works great so I am not looking to replace it any time soon.

Logitech speakers are computer multimedia speakers. They are meant for computers. I had both a set of Z-560's and Z-680's back in the day. They were and are great for their intended use, which is with computers. However if something comes along which doesn't have the expected outputs from a computer, it's not something unexpected. That's just what happens.

hlhbk

Logitech speakers are computer multimedia speakers. They are meant for computers. I had both a set of Z-560's and Z-680's back in the day. They were and are great for their intended use, which is with computers. However if something comes along which doesn't have the expected outputs from a computer, it's not something unexpected. That's just what happens.

Is there some kind of adapter I can use where I won't experience audio lag? If not what would GAF's recommendation for quality receivers be that won't cost more than $300?

neilyadig

Is there some kind of adapter I can use where I won't experience audio lag? If not what would GAF's recommendation for quality receivers be that won't cost more than $300?

The Denon AVR-S510BT is an awesome budget receiver. Or you can bump up to the AVR-S720W for some better future proofing. I like Yamahas too!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sadly it doesn't play vinyl either, not sure what they were thinking.

Can confirm betamax tapes are NOT suported.
And judging by the size of the console
Laser discs are a no GO.So NO space quest or dragons lair..

Wtf nintendo.

Nictel

It does have SDI ports right?

As optical goes: my assumption is that for the unit the port would be to big and it would make the dock even more expensive. It also saves royalties I think.

drotahorror

hlhbk

I find it interesting people mock those of us with older receivers but don't get on Nintendo for barely supporting 5.1 in general. I mean its been a standard in gaming since the early 2000s and barely any of the Wii U games support it.

Kaelan

Funny you should mention that. I was watching the Treehouse Live and I distinctly remember seeing a what looked like an Astro Mixamp wired up behind one of the demo units. It would still work if the switch supported USB headsets.

Woah, I forgot all about that. Would be dope.

Matt

Do products like these affect the quality of the picture?

Because while trying to connect my WiiU though a receiver in order to have 5.1 surround sound I have noticed the picture getting jaggier, the colours getting duller etc.
I would say that the setting you had on the HDMI port for your receiver were different than the ones you had on the port for the Wii U.

Top Bottom