• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo under shipment woes strikes again with Bayo 2.

I'm actually shocked. I just checked most places around here and they seem to have it. I ordered mine last year to avoid missing it, turns out I actually didn't have to this time. Still glad I did though.

Since we're sharing anecdotal evidence, here's mine:

I went into Grainger Games on Saturday (UK-based dedicated videogames store) and they had two full stands worth of copies of Bayonetta 2, split pretty evenly between the game on its own and the Bayo 1 + Bayo 2 package.

The two stands had previously been stocked with Sims 4 (on its release week) and Borderlands: Pre Sequel (on its release week), so they certainly seemed to be pushing it hard.

My local Grainger's Games store (Dewsbury) also seems to be quite good at ordering niche games especially WiiU. They were the only store to stock new copies of W101 outside of the nearby cities of Leeds, Wakefield, Bradford.

SonyToo!™;135886102 said:
My local Grainger's Games store (Dewsbury) also seems to be quite good at ordering niche games especially WiiU. They were the only store to stock new copies of W101 outside of the nearby cities of Leeds, Wakefield, Bradford.

Yeah, I was quite surprised actually. I remember Hyrule Warriors getting a good showing too.

They used to be pretty good with niche games in general (I remember seeing Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory in stock there, when nowhere else in my town had it), but recently they seem to be getting a bit less reliable. I went in to pick up Ar NoSurge on its release day and they'd ordered 0 copies of it.

freakzilla3000

When I picked up my pre-order, they said that they (Gamestop) only got 6 copies in and 5 of them were on reserve. Good luck finding it!

*I also swung by Wal Mart to see if they had it and they were sold out as well.

th4tguy

Then you're going to have to worry about finding a purchased game.
I've yet to hear about a service as big as psn or Xbox live that has lost or disabled someone's games (that wasn't a result of a ban). Have you?
I mean I'm still listening to all my music and playing all my apps on my phone and it's been 7 years now of service.
Do you not buy pen or arcade games? Do you not buy from steam?

Bayonetta 2 is a preorder game if i've ever seen one. Anymore niche and I'd be surprised if target/walmart or any non electronic specialty store carried it.

Bowevil

None at my local Target or Walmart. My local GameStop did not have any extra copies outside of their pre-orders. Luckily the GameStop manager called the next closest GameStop which had ONE extra copy which they held for me. Grabbed it, but I cannot play it until Monday :(

Acerac

Banned
We got 2 in at the Target I work at. According to my systems we might not get another copy in. Glad I got mine.

I didn't pre-order Bayonetta 2. I called Target yesterday, and they just happen to have the last copy of the game so I asked them to put it on hold for me since I was going straight there from college. I'm happy that I got the last copy.

popyea

I got the last copy in my local store on the morning of release. I have to wonder how many copies they actually had to begin with because that's a pretty quick sellout.

Edit: And the only reason I didn't pre-order this game was I wanted to save 10 bucks and get it from jb-hifi, but they didn't allow pick-up pre-orders, and I knew if it was shipped I'd probably not get it until after the weekend. In the end they didn't have any in-store on the day anyway, so I payed extra and got it at EBgames.

can't ship what isn't ordered. stores like gamestop under-order Nintendo stuff all the time.

And given the overall performance of mature rated titles on the system, plus the sales ofvthe developer's previous game on the system, I can't really blame them, unfortunately.

I went to my local Wal-Mart, and they didn't have it, not even a place on the shelves for it. My brother got his copy at Gamestop (he pre-ordered it). I am going to get mine at Best Buy this week, hopefully.

That's weird... I just walked into the EB Games (Gamestop for Canucks) at the busiest mall in my city and asked if they had any copies. The clerk looked looked at me as if he wasn't sure what game I was talking about, then I noticed the small stack of copies behind him and pointed them out. He looked, had a laugh, and said that it was no wonder that he was confused since he hadn't sold any copies all day. I said "Oh... Great. I'll take one. :"

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My local EB had copies but they were $99.95AUD, whereas around the corner in JB Hifi they had 2 copies left for $69.95. Both stores had the Special Editions with B1&2.

I actually bought both copies from JB with the intention of splitting one up and selling both games on Ebay, but then I got an attack of the guilts in the car so returned one for a full refund.

i-Jest

I guess Nintendo can claim that Bayonetta 2 sold out, and still sell less than 100k.

:(

Cheap shot.

Buy it on Amazon. It's in stock.

Both. Bayonetta 1 sold less than 1.5 million lifetime and that was after massive price drops. It only sold a couple hundred thousand at launch.

So Nintendo wasn't going to print 10 million copies to flood retail stores with stock. Nor were retail stores going to reserve 100 copies per store just to have them sit around waiting for a price drop, not when the Wii U user base is so small and with Bayonetta 1's sales history.

I agree with this.

Well, in their defense the internet wouldn't stop saying the game would only sell 3 copies.

The internet needs to chill out.

Someone update the board, we finally have a winner.

2399625-9480605863-fB27d.jpg

Another cheap shot.

Had no intentions to pick it up at full price as it is not my type of game but its good reviews made it a must try.

Went to Wal-Mart today. Saw they had it, 3 copies. I really wanted to diablo 3 for PS4 but I hmm'd and haw'd over it and talked myself into Beyonetta 2. I reasoned it will be rare and hard to find soon, price drop won't happen anytime soon.

Came to this thread and you guys confirmed my decision, thanks for reassuring me!

Nintendo would not even send the game to our distributor before street date so we aren't getting our copies until Monday. Luckily my boss is a resourceful guy and bought some off Amazon. But we sold out the same day. I wonder if Nintendo is screwing anyone else on this?

like permanently? no way. It's just a little rough at launch.

Unless this edition with both games is a limited time thing and this first shipment is it.

Someone please tell me this isn't the case! Otherwise I'll have to buy the game prior to owning the console, which is less than ideal.

Zomba13

If you want the game on launch day there is almost no reason not to pre-order or buy from an online retailer like Amazon.

GamerSoul

Not cool, Nintendo. :/ Bayonetta 2 and Platinum Games deserves to have this game readily available. I usually don't get bothered by things like this and I knoww busineess is business but it's a shame.

AniHawk

Not cool, Nintendo. :/ Bayonetta 2 and Platinum Games deserves to have this game readily available. I usually don't get bothered by things like this and I knoww busineess is business but it's a shame.

i can't believe nintendo would sabotage their own game like that. it's almost like it makes no sense at all.

If you want the game on launch day there is almost no reason not to pre-order or buy from an online retailer like Amazon.

For virtually any game not made by Nintendo, this is never an issue. When I used to buy games on day 1 I would wait for Sunday ads to figure out who had the best deal. Game companies tend to ship a surplus on their first shipment. Aside from Nintendo and Altus titles, you run near no zero risk by not pre-ordering.

akashhhhh

ITT: People trying to convince themselves it was necessary to preorder a game that hundreds of thousands of copies were printed of. The game is immediately shippable everywhere.

Wonderful 101 goes for a whopping 20 bucks new on Amazon.

ITT: People trying to convince themselves it was necessary to preorder a game that hundreds of thousands of copies were printed of. The game is immediately shippable everywhere.

Wonderful 101 goes for a whopping 20 bucks new on Amazon.

I wish that was the price in Canada :(

AniHawk

i'm not convincing anyone of jack shit. i'm informing people of the actual process that happens, especially when a retailer doesn't want a whole lot of a particular thing.

tell me, how many units of bayonetta 2 do you think will move in the us in october?

QaaQer

i'm not convincing anyone of jack shit. i'm informing people of the actual process that happens, especially when a retailer doesn't want a whole lot of a particular thing.

tell me, how many units of bayonetta 2 do you think will move in the us in october?

IIRC, nintendo doesn't take retailer returns, so retailers order less.

IceIpor

Maybe it's different in Canada...

However preordering doesn't cost a thing online for customers. They don't charge until the game is released/shipped.
And in-store preordering? I thought you just had to put a $5 deposit on the game at EB or $1 at Target...

Not only that, but they have deals and locked prices when you pre-order during E3 as well. I got Bayonetta 2 for the price of $39.99 because I preordered during E3 before the prices went up and Canada got screwed on the video game exchange rate.

I didn't pre order but managed to get the second to last copy. The counter lady told me that they shipped them quite a few but declined to tell me just how many copies they got. This was at a game stop btw

Eiolon

My Best Buy got 6 copies in. They didn't realize that the 24th was the release day and forgot to put them on the shelves. I was the only one that came in for one.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I showed my manager at work this thread and she busted out laughing. The conspiracies were worth the read alone lol.

Hope you'll share the locations where the game is in stock, with the rest of the gamers here.

Top Bottom