• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nintendo's conference in a nutshell

d+pad

Mantorok said:
Miyamoto looked really sheepish when playing the sax, he occasionally glanced at the crowd left to right with a very grim kind-of what-the-fuck-am-I-doing-here-holding-a-wiimote-up-to-my-mouth-looking-like-a-prat look on his face.

I feel really sorry for him, he didn't really look happy to be doing this...I mean after-all, with his reputation he shouldn't be promoting Wii-Fucking-Music, give the guy a fucking break.

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but Wii Music is Miyamoto's baby - he came up with the idea and he's the chief supporter of it.

I can't believe it myself, but there you have it...

Ra\/en

d+pad said:
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but Wii Music is Miyamoto's baby - he came up with the idea and he's the chief supporter of it.

I can't believe it myself, but there you have it...

Miyamoto!!! what have you become????!!!!!

d+pad

BTW, the vid is worth it just for the slow-mo applied to Cammie riding the balance board and the snippets of drummer boy. Oh, and I felt bad for the Nintendo staffers forced to 'play' Wii Music on stage. Hope Miyamoto autographed a t-shirt for them, at least...

Tom_Cody said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC6yQ

Comparisons between Nintendo E3 2K8 and Sony E3 2K6 are appropriate.

That video's nowhere near as good as this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&feature=related

...which is one of the best examples of gaming-related humour I've ever seen, if not THE best. I watch it every couple of months or so just to remind myself of how appalling the conference was, and to have a good laugh.

If this guy did a five minute version of the Nintendo conference, I'm sure it would be amazing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ra\/en said:
Miyamoto!!! what have you become????!!!!!

I think since he's given free reign at Nintendo now he just comes up with game ideas without fully fleshing them out, which was recquired of his older titles.

We started seeing this decline with Pikmin, but now that casual games are accepted in the marketplace he just thinks each idea out less and less.

That's why I'm putting my faith in Aonuma from now on.

Mantorok

d+pad said:

I never knew that, is that for definite because when he was introducing Wii Fit he looked genuinely happy but with Wii Music he just looked real miserable.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Mantorok said:
I never knew that, is that for definite because when he was introducing Wii Fit he looked genuinely happy but with Wii Music he just looked real miserable.
There is no way he is miserable about this project. He sounds really happy about it. I mean, he was trying to look serious while playing the sax, I think. He can't really smile while pretending to play it.

He praised it enormously at yesterday's conference.

Steeven

Omfg that was awful, just awful. Glad I missed that shitty conference. Even more glad I skipped Nintendo after GameCube (though I own a DS). What the fuck is this shit?

Mantorok

Fantastical said:
There is no way he is miserable about this project. He sounds really happy about it. I mean, he was trying to look serious while playing the sax, I think. He can't really smile while pretending to play it.

He praised it enormously at yesterday's conference.

Ok, my bad, which makes this whole thing even sadder, given how bad the game "seems" so far, shame because I was looking forward to it.

I didn't watch the conference, nor can I watch the video in the OP (I'm at work). But I'm a bit puzzled by the reaction. From the cribs notes of the conference, Nintendo announced three new games: a sequel to the biggest, most popular game of this generation with a Wii-mote enhancing peripheral; a sequel to a highly acclaimed, very popular last-gen franchise; and a music training simulator. Even if Wii Music looks uninteresting or uninspired (I haven't watched any footage of it), wouldn't the other two announcements amount to a successful showing?

I mean, if GTA5 or MGS5 would have been announced at E3, it would have been a megaton. Certainly Wii Sports 2 has earned that stature. No?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ghostlyjoe said:
I didn't watch the conference, nor can I watch the video in the OP (I'm at work). But I'm a bit puzzled by the reaction. From the cribs notes of the conference, Nintendo announced three new games: a sequel to the biggest, most popular game of this generation with a Wii-mote enhancing peripheral; a sequel to a highly acclaimed, very popular last-gen franchise; and a music training simulator. Even if Wii Music looks uninteresting or uninspired (I haven't watched any footage of it), wouldn't the other two announcements amount to a successful showing?

I mean, if GTA5 or MGS5 would have been announced at E3, it would have been a megaton. Certainly Wii Sports 2 has earned that stature. No?
:lol

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
ghostlyjoe said:

You don't get it; in order to have a successful conference Nintendo has to win E3 on the terms we arbitrate. You can't just have a showing that could impress people who aren't us! We, the self-important hardcore minority, need to be blown away, or you lose E3. That's the rules.

They could announce five games that would each appeal to a whole new market unto themselves, they could revolutionize how other people play games, they could be the most successful entertainment software company in history...

But if they don't have a serious, mature game that tells us one of those amazing video game stories I read so much about and uses every button on the controller (or at the very least features a hardcore-beloved nostalgic franchise) then they are the biggest failures the internet has ever witnessed, ever.

Campster said:
You don't get it; in order to have a successful conference Nintendo has to win E3 on the terms we arbitrate. You can't just have a showing that could impress people who aren't us! We, the self-important hardcore minority, need to be blown away, or you lose E3. That's the rules.

They could announce five games that would each appeal to a whole new market unto themselves, they could revolutionize how other people play games, they could be the most successful entertainment software company in history...

But if they don't have a serious, mature game that tells us one of those amazing video game stories I read so much about and uses every button on the controller (or at the very least features a hardcore-beloved nostalgic franchise) then they are the biggest failures the internet has ever witnessed, ever.

bolded the best :lol

Davidion

ghostlyjoe said:

I thought Nintendo did a horrible job of actually fleshing out the presentation. Whatever substance was to be found (and for the record I thought the titles that they introduced were fine, if not necessarily to my own liking) was absolutely drowned out by the absolutely laughable performance of practically everyone involved.

Wii sports at least made it out ok. Wii music looks like the retarded baby brother of rock band, and unlike any of its older sister titles, shows absolutely no innovation whatsoever and looked either a bore or ridiculous to play. All of this presented by people who look like black holes of vapidity desperate to seem relevant and humorous; it takes straight fucking hustle to make Iwata and Reggie's dead-pan delivery seem the most charismatic of any bunch. Honestly, the casual lean is fine, but that doesn't excuse a presentation that makes viewers cringe.

Honestly, the show was less an embarrassment of riches than rich with embarrassment.

Campster said:

Your sarcasm is evident, and I suppose I'm seeing things from the same perspective you are. But my question was intended honestly. As I said, not having seen the conference, I may be missing some vital context. But on paper, it looked like three pretty solid announcements.

Amir0x

Banned
Well this is a hardcore gaming community, and all reactions must be framed in that reasonable context. You certainly would not expect people to get excited about anti-gun legislation on an NRA forum.

I do not need to insert my feelings to confidently suggest Animal Crossing is not many hardcore gamer's cup of tea, though it may have sold millions. Nor do I need to say similar things about the reception for Wii Sports. And the revulsion (or at least skepticism) at Wii Music seems damn near universal, even among mainstream press. So I assume that this sarcasm is meant with good intent, but it is only pointing out the obviousness of hardcore gamer's desiring hardcore games.

People do not judge announcements by what other people want, it is safe to assume. So the next logical conclusion is that they judge it by what they want. And much of GAF did not want what they presented.

I personally am happy about Wii MotionPlus. And we know Rhythm Tengoku and Wario Shake are coming as per the press site. So it still had something.

On this note, I don't think anyone is arguing that these franchises have great selling potential. If that is the only viable merit of a conference, then they did well.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
ghostlyjoe said:
Your sarcasm is evident, and I suppose I'm seeing things from the same perspective you are. But my question was intended honestly. As I said, not having seen the conference, I may be missing some vital context. But on paper, it looked like three pretty solid announcements.

Well if you want a less sardonic answer - Animal Crossing looks basically the same as ever; the texture resolutions are a bit higher and and they've incorporated an as-of-yet largely irrelevant city to visit. That's it. Other than that it plays the same as the DS version.

Wii Music looks like a bit of a mess. The only examples they gave were a guy playing drums by himself (which looked okay, but no replacement for an actual Rockband set) or a group play mode that featured four people having seizures on stage to the worst rendition of the Super Mario theme ever. Having said that they're going to have 50 instruments and showed just a bunch of people flailing about gave no one confidence that any of this was going to be accomplished with any depth.

WiiSports Resort looks the most promising in terms of quality new content; but between not being released until next Spring, being a title everyone basically knew was in development in some fashion anyways, and being a highly controversial game in hardcore circles to begin with the response was pretty muted.

All of the other games shown were snippets of third party games, most of which were sequels or ports. All told the conference was a bit of a non-event. Which, apparently, means Nintendo has had the worst conference in the history of all time and we hate them now. I don't get it either.

Campster said:
Well if you want a less sardonic answer - Animal Crossing looks basically the same as ever; the texture resolutions are a bit higher and and they've incorporated an as-of-yet largely irrelevant city to visit. That's it. Other than that it plays the same as the DS version.

Wii Music looks like a bit of a mess. The only examples they gave were a guy playing drums by himself (which looked okay, but no replacement for an actual Rockband set) or a group play mode that featured four people having seizures on stage to the worst rendition of the Super Mario theme ever. Having said that they're going to have 50 instruments and showed just a bunch of people flailing about gave no one confidence that any of this was going to be accomplished with any depth.

WiiSports Resort looks the most promising in terms of quality new content; but between not being released until next Spring, being a title everyone basically knew was in development in some fashion anyways, and being a highly controversial game in hardcore circles to begin with the response was pretty muted.

All of the other games shown were snippets of third party games, most of which were sequels or ports. All told the conference was a bit of a non-event. Which, apparently, means Nintendo has had the worst conference in the history of all time and we hate them now. I don't get it either.

Fair enough. Thanks for the replies.

CTLance

ghostlyjoe said:
(...)Even if Wii Music looks uninteresting or uninspired (I haven't watched any footage of it), wouldn't the other two announcements amount to a successful showing?
I can only offer my perspective...
To say the presentation was lacking is being extremely kind.
They did announce some stuff, yes, but what was demoed was amateurish at best - and not the PR kind of amateurish. It was "Oh my god, I would end my life if I was on that stage right now" kind of bad. I mean, one of the the main focus points was Wii Music. They bungled up every on-stage performance they did. Miserably at that. You've already seen Ravi in the gifs. The rest of the Nintendo crew wasn't that much better - but at least they flailed around a bit less and were slightly embarassed. Not even Miyamoto emerged unscathed.
The rest of the show was kinda drowned out for me because of the agonizing pain caused by WiiMusic.

Other then those technical issues I think I remember there being no gaf-approved megatons of any kind, since Motion+ had already been disclosed and Animal Crossing was a sure bet. There was that passing mention of GTA for the DS, but in recent Nintendo fashion most of the presentation focused on sales, casual games, and casuals in general. Oh right, they showed some (3?) shorts of 3rd party games, and they chose the games the gaf collective isn't really interested in (CoD5, RRR3, ...?). Previously they managed to throw the hardcore a bone, but this time they tried to sell Animal Crossing as hardcore game... no dice.

Firestorm

After his thing about new titles or innovating or whatever you should have cut to the millionth star wars game, the 3rd raving rabbids game, and 5th call of duty game.

agrajag

Banned
It's like Nintendo read Gamepro's most embarassing E3 conferences list and decides to do something about it. They couldn't even let Sony have THAT.

kbear

Wow, so that was actually the first footage of the Nintendo conference I've seen and I'm just blown away at how awful it was. Absolutely appalling.

LCfiner

Castle vidcons has their take on Mr. Drumz. :lol

cv0047.jpg

vareon

The internet is filled with brilliant people, as always :lol

Jarosh's work was awesome, and that Castle Vidcons too :lol

I propose the Drum Guy would be playable at the next Smash Bros, and his Final Smash is the Drum Seizure.

jedimike

Amir0x said:
Well this is a hardcore gaming community, and all reactions must be framed in that reasonable context. You certainly would not expect people to get excited about anti-gun legislation on an NRA forum.

I do not need to insert my feelings to confidently suggest Animal Crossing is not many hardcore gamer's cup of tea, though it may have sold millions. Nor do I need to say similar things about the reception for Wii Sports. And the revulsion (or at least skepticism) at Wii Music seems damn near universal, even among mainstream press. So I assume that this sarcasm is meant with good intent, but it is only pointing out the obviousness of hardcore gamer's desiring hardcore games.

People do not judge announcements by what other people want, it is safe to assume. So the next logical conclusion is that they judge it by what they want. And much of GAF did not want what they presented.

I personally am happy about Wii MotionPlus. And we know Rhythm Tengoku and Wario Shake are coming as per the press site. So it still had something.

On this note, I don't think anyone is arguing that these franchises have great selling potential. If that is the only viable merit of a conference, then they did well.

That's some insightful input there. I've been far enough removed from the gaming community here on GAF that I think I have a pretty objective view. Nintendo knows their strengths and their strengths are the casual gamer and the wiimote. E3 is for he media, so you can't expect Nintendo to do anything but play to those strengths.

It seems as if they are abandoning the hardcore Nintendo fans... the reality is, they are just placing them in the back of the restaraunt, next to the kitchen.

Top Bottom