• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Worldwide Distribution Failure Thread: Suffering of English Nintendo Fans

slaughterking said:
It is not weird, but every Nintendo published game has to be translated into every major European language. It's surely a bit more costly than localizing a game just for the US market.
Yeah sorry. Weird wasn't the right word. But it definitely seems more involved if let's say Nintendo wanted to release only in the UK. They then have to do that localization plus Spanish, French, German, Portuguese?, Dutch?, etc. Research, test, and ensure things culturally work in a given region possibly for a small franchise that they know isn't a sales king of any sort.

wrowa

Foffy said:
I don't think Europe is getting Super Fossil Fighters, but the US is.
According to the release list Shiggy posted several days ago, it's is actually planned for an European release.

Can we also have a big thread teaching people how to soft mod their Wii? I know how to do it, but tons of people are still complaining when all they need to do is a quick soft mod. Might as well have a thread for all their soft modding needs.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thanks, now hopefully the games' threads can be kept a bit cleaner :)

Cow Mengde said:
Can we also have a big thread teaching people how to soft mod their Wii? I know how to do it, but tons of people are still complaining when all they need to do is a quick soft mod. Might as well have a thread for all their soft modding needs.
Umm?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cow Mengde said:

... are you serious?

Cow Mengde said:

Even if we didn't have such a thread (we do), all you need is fifteen seconds with google to find a detailed FAQ of how to do it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a bit premature to be putting Last Story and Pandora's Tower on the Europe list. They could easily end up like ASH or Jet Impulse. Until they are officially announced it's best to leave them out.

wazoo said:
Trauma Team is missing in europe.
Truly the greatest tragedy.

You'd hope that a publisher as large and "savvy" as Nintendo knows how to make these games the slightest bit profitable. I'm sure Atlus didn't expect to break the bank when they released Cubivore for the gamecube, but hopefully it was financially worth the effort they put into it.

Surely Nintendo is large enough to have a localization division that can handle those smaller releases and still make enough to justify doing. I mean, for GOD SAKES didn't someone let slip that ASH was fully translated and ready to go? Is there an NOA memo from the year that Earthbound Zero was supposed to come out that is still guiding their policy?

Also Another Code R is the one non-localized game I miss the most, but there may be some unfortunate business with CiNG going under that kept it from coming out in NA.

Cow Mengde said:

http://gwht.wikidot.com/

good guides there to get the job done. "Pimp My Wii" is good for keeping IOS' up to date, and "Dop-Shop" for getting the latest Wii Shop.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Stumpokapow said:
Microsoft-published 360 titles that did not get US releases:
- Every Party
(this is an exhaustive list)

Sony PS3 titles that did not get US releases:
- Aquanaut's Holiday
- My Summer Vacation 3/4
- Some of the song packs for SingStar.
- Dark Mist on PSN
- That free game with the cat on PSN
(don't think I'm missing anything here).

I think there are several titles in the list whose omissions were fairly reasonable, I just wanted to be exhaustive.
You forgot the Toro to Morimori game. Aka "Toro Anniversary Collection".

Edit: Shiki-Tei too I guess on PSN.

wrowa

meltingparappa said:
Also Another Code R is the one non-localized game I miss the most, but there may be some unfortunate business with CiNG going under that kept it from coming out in NA.
The Hotel Dusk sequel was released in Europe after Cing was already closed down, so that shouldn't be the reason.

Shiggy

meltingparappa said:

Nope. That game was released long before they went under.

Sadist

meltingparappa said:
Another Code R came out in Europe on June 26th 2009. CiNG filed for bankruptcy on the first of March 2010.

Edit beaten

MisterHero

The games need to sell really well in the country of origin (mostly Japan) for NCL to consider paying to bring them to other regions. They definitely have to consider lowering the barrier for letting their games recieve international release.

This is based on an old old (and possibly hyperbolic) quote from Miyamoto but he/Nintendo expected Mother 2/Earthbound to sell like 3 million copies, a quota it barely put a dent in, despite an extensive ad campaign on NoA's part. This pipedream probably still exists in some form among Nintendo policy.

I definitely want to play The Last Story (being an action-RPG?) though, among other games that haven't been localized.

Sophia

MisterHero said:
The games need to sell really well in the country of origin (mostly Japan) for NCL to consider paying to bring them to other regions.

This is based on an old old (and possibly hyperbolic) quote from Miyamoto but he/Nintendo expected Mother 2/Earthbound to sell like 3 million copies, a quota it barely put a dent in, despite an extensive ad campaign on NoA's part. This pipedream probably still exists in some form among Nintendo policy.

I definitely want to play The Last Story (being an action-RPG?) though, among other games that haven't been localized.

I don't think NCL is quite responsible for every game on that last. We already got confirmation that for Xenoblade at least, the blame is on NoA.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Stump, Guru Guru Logic DSiWare was released in the US as Snapdots, unless you were referring to another title (Google pointed to that one, though).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Princess Skittles said:
Stump, Guru Guru Logic DSiWare was released in the US as Snapdots, unless you were referring to another title (Google pointed to that one, though).

Oh, neat. I guess that one slipped by me. Cool.

Stumpokapow said:
Sony PS3 titles that did not get US releases:
- Aquanaut's Holiday
- My Summer Vacation 3/4
- Some of the song packs for SingStar.
- Dark Mist on PSN
- That free game with the cat on PSN
(don't think I'm missing anything here).

On PS3 there's also:

Railfan: Taiwan Takatetsu
Tori no Morimori
Minnya no Putter Golf (PSN)
100-Yen Gomibako (PSN)

Not significant though. There's a few more on PSP:

Doko Demo Issho
Doko Demo Issho: Let's Gakkou!
Bleach: Heat the Soul 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
Bleach: Soul Carnival 1/2
Derby Time
Derby Time 2006
Yarudora Portable: Double Cast/Kisetsu o Dakishimete/Sampaguita/Yukiwari no Hana/Blood the Last Vampire
Fukufuku no Shima
Talkman
I.Q. Mania
Bomberman: Bakufuu Sentai Bombermen
XI Coliseum
Boku no Natsuyasumi Portable
Blood+ Final Piece
Tenchi no Mon 2: Busouden
Saru Get You: Pipo Saru Racer
P-Kara
Minna no Golf Jou Vol. 1/2/3/4
Coded Soul: Uketsugareshi Idea
Enkaku Sousa: Sana e no 23 Hiai
Juusei to Diamond
Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (This is PSP, not PS3.)
Boku no Natsuyasumi Portable 1/2
Bakumatsu Revolution
Trick x Logic: Season 1/2

This is, of course, not counting those releases which were localized overseas by other publishers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Facening DSi game did get released in Europe under "Face Training: Facial Exercises to Strengthen and Relax from Fumiko Inudo ".

wrowa

dallow_bg said:
The Facening DSi game did get released in Europe under "Face Training: Facial Exercises to Strengthen and Relax from Fumiko Inudo ".
English Training was released in Europe too. Not really worth mentioning, though...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
dallow_bg said:
Thanks.

I think I missed a WiiWare/DSiWare suggestion or two, will go back through the thread when I have a free moment.

Shouldn't Inazuma Eleven should be excluded from the list, since it's a third-party game? I mean Trauma Team isn't being added to the EU list.

also, for the VC:

Not in North america but out in EU and JP:

Mario's Super Picross (SNES/VC)

izakq

I don't know if you'll count this one, but Wii Chess was published by Nintendo. It was released in Europe as a budget title and was released as a WiiWare title in Japan as Tsūshin Taikyoku: World Chess.

Ranger X

Man, America is supposedly the biggest market and Nintendo releases more games exclusively to Europe and Japan. WTF.

Wizpig

OP, I don't think Pandora's Tower is confirmed for Europe, yet it's in the list.
Or did they open a website to confirm it or something? maybe i'm mistaken.

Gimme this, NoE

Irozuki_Tingle_no_Koi_no_Balloon_Trip.jpg

But of course it's not like they'll ever release this or Fire Emblem, not with the 3DS out, yay!

The DS is the best console of this gen and look at how it's going to die.

Wizpig said:
OP, I don't think Pandora's Tower is confirmed for Europe, yet it's in the list.

It's been coyly hinted at, but not confirmed, like The Last Story.

But of course it's not like they'll ever release this or Fire Emblem, not with the 3DS out, yay!

The DS is the best console of this gen and look at how it's going to die.

Yet with the 3DS out they're happy to release Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (but not the Professional version for whatever reason), Super Fossil Fighters, and Kirby Mass Attack. I guess Tingle and Fire Emblem are too Japanese for NoA right now.

izakq

Hey Princess Skittles, would this list include WiiWare titles as well. And if so, would it include titles released in the US and Europe but not in Japan? If so, Fluidity and Art Style: light trax would fit that description.

Ranger X

slaughterking said:
Can't blame them for ignoring Tingle, but treating a precious franchise like FE like that is unforgivable. :I

Ditto. What the hell, Fire Emblems should be released here. Even fucking Disgea is, the audience is there.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wizpig said:
There are strong hints to both.. which is what triggered me to make the thread this morning.

I will remove them if they are denied.

izakq said:
Hey Princess Skittles, would this list include WiiWare titles as well. And if so, would it include titles released in the US and Europe but not in Japan? If so, Fluidity and Art Style: light trax would fit that description.
Yes, I'll get to WiiWare titles soon (especially if more titles are pointed out).

But this is primarily for English regions, so I won't focus on things not released in Japan, sorry.

mclem

izakq said:

If it includes Wiiware, it might have to also include VC. And if it includes VC, can the Europe section be filled out with "The shit 50Hz version of..." a bazillion times?

Effect

Ranger X said:
Man, America is supposedly the biggest market and Nintendo releases more games exclusively to Europe and Japan. WTF.

If Europe was treated the same way one could say NCL was at fault but this is looking more and more like Nintendo of America is the problem here. The NoA of the N64 and Cube era is gone. The problem is Reggie Fils-Aime. The man that thinks of Animal Crossing (I am a fan of the series) is core gamers game!

Spike

My hatred for Reggie knows no bounds. He has made a mockery of NoA. They are sitting on a goldmine of titles as evidenced in the list above and yet we are sitting here with nary a release in sight.

Somebody has to do something.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
mclem said:
If it includes Wiiware, it might have to also include VC. And if it includes VC, can the Europe section be filled out with "The shit 50Hz version of..." a bazillion times?
I won't be doing VC, that's a whole different story and in many cases, it was due to them not being localized originally, thus is not pertinent to Nintendo's distribution strategy for this generation.

Oh just thought of another one:

Released in EU but not North america or JP:

-- Donkey Kong: Original Edition (Virtual Console/Wiiware)(included in the Mario 25th anniversary Wii bundle for EU only)

-- Mario's Super Picross (Virtual Console/SNES)

Princess Skittles said:
I won't be doing VC, that's a whole different story and in many cases, it was due to them not being localized originally, thus is not pertinent to Nintendo's distribution strategy for this generation.

You should if it's out in EU but not in North america or vice versa.

Sianos

At this point I'll just mod my Wii and pick up the EU versions. No use waiting for something (an official US version) that probably will never come.

Effect

Here's the thing as well. Localization should not be expensive, especially for Nintendo of all companies. Doesn't each branch have their own localization team? Those people are already on the damn payroll. Localizing a game should simply be another project handed to them. They aren't contracting some outside company. I would assume dialogue files and audio are design in such a way that makes access to them and translating them easier. In many cases text files have already been done by other branch or another. Some don't even require much translation. Nintendo is also known for doing small print runs on newly made games in Japan of all places after spending a ton of money to have the game made. No way they wouldn't be willing to do that with a game in other country to make even more of their investment back. It makes no sense why many of these games aren't released in the US or even Europe (even if you have to translate text in other languages). The problem has to be the guy in charge that has no clue what he's doing outside of speaking in public.

Top Bottom