• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh E3 trailer

GnawtyDog

Banned
The great list of snubbed PS4 exclusives by Sony continues.

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.
GT Sport
Persona 5

Shouldn't expect them to do well in the West when they're relegated to second tier no shows. These games will take top spots at both a Nintendo or Microsoft conference.

The kicker...Sony's conference was 30 mins short.

Updated.

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.

Shouldn't expect them to do well in the West when they're relegated to second tier no shows. These games will take top spots at both a Nintendo or Microsoft conference.

Yakuza Zero as well.

They wouldn't have fit the tone of that conference though. Definitely expect to see em at PSX.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.

I'll take short and sweet over the slog that was old Sony conference. PSX is the indie show for Sony at this point.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Persona 5, too.

They still coulda thrown them in a montage. They could just call it "the PS4 games that aren't overblown movie wannabes."

I snubbed Persona 5. I'm guilty of the same crime.

But Yes, Persona 5 too. The fuq...

I mean I'm sure whomever plans this and makes the decision have their own logic for what they chose to show - I do wonder whether that decision is thoroughly debated with enough rigor.

SOR5

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.

All Japanese, all heading to TGS, will be pleased to see em

GnawtyDog

Banned
All Japanese, all heading to TGS, will be pleased to see em

The PS brand has a global audience. Hec they showed Bloodborne and made a big deal about it not long ago to the western market - a title that appeals to a fringe base. Now I can rationalize that Sony was perhaps at the time thirsty for an exclusive to appease the hardcore crowd as games just weren't ready but....that's just one reason.

Take Gravity Rush, a game with more global appeal if marketed properly. I don't make the decisions but some of them business wise just don't make any sense. The teams still chose to release trailers for all of them - meaning they were ready to show shit and wanted part of the pie.

More from Gaijinhunter's twitter:
  • Beta for alpha will include the alpha stages and a dojo stage. You can skip tutorial if you don’t need it. They assure a 2016 release
  • In place of durability they will reward you if you use a weapon a lot
  • The beta will have the conqueror's seal again so you can get it if you missed the alpha
  • For you Dark Souls fans who complained about the lock on: Famitsu interview confirms lock on camera in NIOH will now keep your back AWAY from the enemies

I assume most of this is just tidbits from Japanese media interviews, like the lock on change.

HStallion

• Beta for alpha will include the alpha stages and a dojo stage. You can skip tutorial if you don’t need it. They assure a 2016 release
    [*]In place of durability they will reward you if you use a weapon a lot
  • The beta will have the conqueror's seal again so you can get it if you missed the alpha
  • For you Dark Souls fans who complained about the lock on: Famitsu interview confirms lock on camera in NIOH will now keep your back AWAY from the enemies

I assume most of this is just tidbits from Japanese media interviews, like the lock on change.

All great info but I wonder what the bolded means? I wonder if they're doing something like weapon affinity where the more you use it the stronger you get with it?

The PS brand has a global audience. Hec they showed Bloodborne and made a big deal about it not long ago to the western market - a title that appeals to a fringe base. Now I can rationalize that Sony was perhaps at the time thirsty for an exclusive to appease the hardcore crowd as games just weren't ready but....that's just one reason.

Take Gravity Rush, a game with more global appeal if marketed properly. I don't make the decisions but some of them business wise just don't make any sense. The teams still chose to release trailers for all of them - meaning they were ready to show shit and wanted part of the pie.

Well, there's a couple of reasons for not showing those games at E3.

Most of them already have a bunch of trailers out. E3 for Sony was showcasing brand new games we didn't know about sans TLG, and that got screentime only because of the date. GR2 already got a trailer, an HD release of the previous game (which Sony touted quite a bit beforehand), and hands on impressions for people to play. With a limited amount of time, why waste it on games people already saw?

Secondly, nobody wants their games buried in the wake of E3. That's why you get trailers before and after. Most people aren't even going to remember GR2 after Norman holds a baby naked.

Thirdly, and this goes into my first point I guess, showing games that we've already saw would ellict lots of bellyaching. "Oh, does Sony not have new games to show us?" Nobody wants to hear that shit ad infinitum.

Lastly, TGS, PSX, and Paris are global events still watched by people all over the world. That's why you have translators for TGS, and IIRC, Yakuza 0 (or was it Kiwami?) was announced for a global release there.

Marketing isn't just E3. There's a lot of shit that goes into it. Like, Sony was promoting the Nioh beta all over their social media networks and their youtube. They even had a blog post about it. http://blog.us.playstation.com/tag/nioh/

So, including the fact that people have already experience the game with the alpha/will do so again with a beta, it doesn't make sense to start throwing it up centerstage for the reasons above. Both TK and Sony were smart to not do that, and the same applies to their other games.

Espada

Whoa, this is some good stuff. I like the reassurance of a 2016 release, though does that mean us or Japan?

That change to William's behavior after lock-on is a lot bigger change than you think. It'll likely eliminate 90% of the instances of people being one-shot.

ps3ud0

[*]In place of durability they will reward you if you use a weapon a lot
    [*]For you Dark Souls fans who complained about the lock on: Famitsu interview confirms lock on camera in NIOH will now keep your back AWAY from the enemies

Damn disappointed by those changes - do we need to reward lack of use of multiple weapons (types)? And I thought the lock on was fine, if you employed block you would face your enemy but reduce your mobility - it added a nuance how you dealt with engagement. Hope you have the option when it comes to lock on type...

ps3ud0 8)

Espada

Damn disappointed by those changes - do we need to reward lack of use of multiple weapons (types)? And I thought the lock on was fine, if you employed block you would face your enemy but reduce your mobility - it added a nuance how you dealt with engagement. Hope you have the option when it comes to lock on type...

ps3ud0 8)

The old setup was too flawed to continue into the main game. It was so unreliable during battle that I simply stuck to using X-button dodges (mainly the low stance ki-pulse dodges) because during those I had no chance of catching an incidental attack in the backside.

BTW, when I was playing the alpha demo I noticed the following illustrations in the equipment menu background:
- Guns (confirmed)
- Two katanas crossed (confirmed)
- A sickle on a chain, with a weight on the other side

Weapon variety is looking real nice, especially when you factor in the Samurai points and trees for you to invest in.

YoungOne

I will wait for the alpha, but I'm not sure If I like the lock on now keeping your back away from enemies. I liked that I had to pick and choose when to retreat so I wouldn't take the extra damage from the back.

Espada

Alright, here's the screenshot of the sickle weapon (it's to the left of the equpped weapons, near the dual katanas):

niohalphademo_201604245u4d.png

Looks like we're in for another weapon type! Notice how you can see the guns on another part of the menu background as well.

On an unrelated note, I LOVED that Tombo-kiri you see there. What an awesome weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Awesome. So glad about the last part too. So long as you can dash away with your back turned, you keep all the flexibility of the Dark Souls lock-on and lose the clunkiness of the alpha.

Philippo

Finally some story elements, i was waiting for this.
Sadly it looks like they changed some of Kurosawa's original material (William was originally supposed to be half-japanese while now it looks like he stranded on the shores of Japan), but the bit they showed with the demon at the end seem an interesting mechanic.
Hopes the story is actually substantial.

Do we know if the games features settlements/towns and NPCs?

Fitts

Looking vastly more interesting than what we've previously seen. The "alpha" fell flat for me but there's enough here to make me give the beta a shot.

raven777

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.
GT Sport
Persona 5

Updated.

I expect a lot of these to get a trailer at TGS press conference

Aters

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.
GT Sport
Persona 5

Updated.

I personally want to see more of Wild and Dreams too.

tskeeve

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.
GT Sport
Persona 5

These will almost certainly be highlighted and promoted at TGS.

Worshipped the Alpha so I almost skipped the trailer. Turns out...

SECOND DEMO IN AUGUST. FUCK YEA!!!!

I see the Dark Souls marketing machine is in full force here. I hope that at least means that they won't fuck with the difficulty too much if that's the marketing's selling point. Dark Souls camera, why? I truly don't see why people had issues with turning your back when locked on, it forced you to square off. You were able to punish the shit out of enemies that exposed their back, why not the same for the player?

Also, that wheat & sunrise stage looks really really nice.

Do we know if the games features settlements/towns and NPCs?

Not at this point I believe. There was a map screen in the Alpha in case you didn't play it. It reminded me of the original Tenchu where you most likely access the separate stages. I'd assume that there will be some sort of friendly town area if anything to select in the map screen? I have no idea though in the end.

Taken from Gaijinhunter's twitter

Gaijinhunter said:
Nioh devs said that while Japan bitched most about the difficulty, the clear percentage for the demo was highest in Japan - LOL

Japan tsundere confirmed.

Slaythe

Gravity Rush 2.
Niet Automata.
Nioh.
GT Sport
Persona 5

Updated.

You forgot Ni no Kuni 2 and Dreams.

And Sucker Punch's game that they have been working on 3 years.

TerraMantis from the Dark Soul community has his impressions from the E3 press demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogYbITcXQYk

A couple of things that I thought was interesting:

• The quick slots are toggled by holding another button, so we now have a total of 8 including elixir
  • Weapon switching is done by holding R1 and switching with the D-pad. Left for melee, top for range.
  • He makes it sound like dual wielding is from equipping two swords, instead of the weapons being a set.
  • Not much is known about the rifle yet.
  • So far there are 6 weapon types (sword, spear, hammer, axe, bow, gun), in the final build there will be "upwards of two dozen types" of weapons.
  • Around 20 main stages and bosses
  • There will be hotsprings spread throughout the stages that you can bath in to restore health and put a heal over time buff.
  • 100 different side missions in addition to the main story. These are smaller areas than a main level.
  • There's a Samurai boss with almost the same movesets as a player would have.

My damn teeth are on edge waiting for the next demo.

That TerraMantis video didn't do much to ease my anxiety over them potentially fan-feedbacking the game into mediocrity. The wait wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the 'wonder if it's fucked up now' factor.

My damn teeth are on edge waiting for the next demo.

That TerraMantis video didn't do much to ease my anxiety over them potentially fan-feedbacking the game into mediocrity. The wait wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the 'wonder if it's fucked up now' factor.

If you're worried, PlayStation access put up a video of their playthrough of the E3 demo and it was a little bit painful watching them stubble through it.

HStallion

TerraMantis from the Dark Soul community has his impressions from the E3 press demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogYbITcXQYk

A couple of things that I thought was interesting:

• The quick slots are toggled by holding another button, so we now have a total of 8 including elixir
  • Weapon switching is done by holding R1 and switching with the D-pad. Left for melee, top for range.
  • He makes it sound like dual wielding is from equipping two swords, instead of the weapons being a set.
  • Not much is known about the rifle yet.
  • So far there are 6 weapon types (sword, spear, hammer, axe, bow, gun), in the final build there will be "upwards of two dozen types" of weapons.
  • Around 20 main stages and bosses
  • There will be hotsprings spread throughout the stages that you can bath in to restore health and put a heal over time buff.
  • 100 different side missions in addition to the main story. These are smaller areas than a main level.
    [*] There's a Samurai boss with almost the same movesets as a player would have.

Hopefully its a rival character or just an awesome humanoid boss that can do everything you can but a little better type of thing.

Top Bottom