• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

The gestures in Nioh blow the shit out of any other emotes from other games.

So far my favorite is "Ninja shuriken", "Tea Time" and "Shoo-shoo!"

Basically anything he pulls out a prop for XD

What are your favorite gestures?

Espada

kinda weird when you fight in lvl100+ areas and see lvl 1 or lvl 2 corpses lying around. r.i.p.

Those people probably used the respec book and lost their Amrita. Maybe attempting Level 1 runs in Way of Strong?

I managed to get my Sozasa Monji to +10 yesterday and it is amazing. Absolutely melting enemies, even from the front.

• Sozasa Monji +10 [Attack Multiplier 1016]
    Strong Attack Damage + 11.6%
    Water + 16
    Final Blow Damage +24.4%
    Close Combat Ki Damage 11.8%
    Close Combat Ki Reduction 12.5%
    Change to Heart A+

I've tried rolling for Close Combat Damge and higher rolls of Water but I keep getting the same 5-6 things over and over. I'm pretty sure I've spent millions trying to improve those two to no avail.

Chaos2Frozen said:

The fan dance is my favorite, by far.

Audioboxer

Souls fan, and was about 2/3 through the game and had to leave it for other reasons. I might have died 20 times max. I found NiOH really simple in comparison to other souls titles.

Fair play. I find the enemies a bit more aggressive in Nioh, and therefore more challenging. The sloth talisman completely breaks bosses though. It's easier to cheese in Nioh than Souls. Although Souls has far easier summoning and multiple people at once which can also make it easy to cheese.

Fhtagn

Fair play. I find the enemies a bit more aggressive in Nioh, and therefore more challenging. The sloth talisman completely breaks bosses though. It's easier to cheese in Nioh than Souls. Although Souls has far easier summoning and multiple people at once which can also make it easy to cheese.

I am in the early game so far, but while some enemies are much more aggressive once they've noticed you, there have been so many times when enemies ignore me until I'm right on top of them, or they do dumb things like put down their bow instead of letting an arrow fly as I close in on them... so it's a bit of a wash.

I am mainly dying to bosses and to revenants with fast dual swords.

(I've done two main missions and 4 side missions so yeah, early days yet.)

FrankWza

I think its easier since its not connected so you can run from shrine to shrine if you want. Unless you engage an enemy they dont continue pursuing and if they do its usually only skeleton and crawlers. Having to connect souls levels makes for a tougher game. I died a good amount in nioh more than bloodborne for whatever reason. Not to bosses but mostly because id just lose concentration. Id get 2 hit by an amrita fiend i had stunned after getting greedy and ran out of ki like a dummy. Stupid stuff. And i ran under 10% the whole game with dual and single so id be in close. But ng+ is way tougher as a game so if its too easy for some just get to ng+ and go at it from there. But dying 20 times 2/3 of the way is really low.

I've been humoring a thought lately- Nioh may have started out marketed as a Soulslike game, but it's actually not that hard to see the groundworks of a Destinylike game with regular updates of small expansions. And it has a much more solid foundation than Destiny did at launch.

Loot base games are huge, arguably larger than Soulslike games, combine the two and do it well you'll have a big hit on your hands.

FrankWza

I've been humoring a thought lately- Nioh may have started out marketed as a Soulslike game, but it's actually not that hard to see the groundworks of a Destinylike game with regular updates of small expansions. And it has a much more solid foundation than Destiny did at launch.

Loot base games are huge, arguably larger than Soulslike games, combine the two and do it well you'll have a big hit on your hands.

Never played destiny but i was thinking how amazing this combat would be in an assassin's creed game. But this combat would be amazing in most games so...

Never played destiny but i was thinking how amazing this combat would be in an assassin's creed game. But this combat would be amazing in most games so...

I've only played vanilla Destiny so I can't comment on how it is now, but the core combat is very solid if a bit lacking on combat abilities customization. They might also have an enemy variety problem more severe than Nioh.

But the loot system is a tiny bit similiar though I prefer Nioh's.

So yeah Nioh has potential to go that route

Kar L

Endgame experts: Can we reforge any Sword to "Change to Heart A+"? I assume so, but how do I know which stat is the one to reforge in order to have a chance of getting it? The damage stats are confusing. Some weapons seem to have one and some seem to have almost two.

Endgame experts: Can we reforge any Sword to "Change to Heart A+"? I assume so, but how do I know which stat is the one to reforge in order to have a chance of getting it? The damage stats are confusing. Some weapons seem to have one and some seem to have almost two.

http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge

Should be in the "damage pool". (Edit: looks like it's still a wip)

But what do you mean by two damage stats? You mean elemental damage as well as base damage?

A level 750 revenant isn't easy to kill at 146. I think I used more elixers than on all the bosses. Have about 30,000 glory from grinding gear to sell.

vgrr7X.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VwsTbOl50

wat

Jimrpg

I am in the early game so far, but while some enemies are much more aggressive once they've noticed you, there have been so many times when enemies ignore me until I'm right on top of them, or they do dumb things like put down their bow instead of letting an arrow fly as I close in on them... so it's a bit of a wash.

I am mainly dying to bosses and to revenants with fast dual swords.

(I've done two main missions and 4 side missions so yeah, early days yet.)

This is the one thing that bugs me about Souls games and Nioh. The enemies don't attack until you're right up on top of them. I don't remember it being like that in other character action games. It just feels too monster closet like.

Curufinwe

If I get to a boss and have used all my arrows and bullets, if I quit the mission I'll have to start it all over again, right?

I don't understand this - how can I tell if the Yasakani Magatama set bonus thing is working? I have three pieces of Fanatic set, so with the accessory should have four, but if I ever hover over another Fanatic armor piece that I don't have equipped, it says I would get the bonus for having four pieces, but if the accessory is working it should say I'd get the bonus for five pieces.

FrankWza

I've only played vanilla Destiny so I can't comment on how it is now, but the core combat is very solid if a bit lacking on combat abilities customization. They might also have an enemy variety problem more severe than Nioh.

But the loot system is a tiny bit similiar though I prefer Nioh's.

So yeah Nioh has potential to go that route

Oh ok. I see first person and im out. Especially fps. But i do feel like the amount of items in the game is a little too much though. I was at a point where i would forget to storehouse and be close to full and not pick any items up if they were common. A few times i had to drop post boss to pick up good loot.

If I get to a boss and have used all my arrows and bullets, if I quit the mission I'll have to start it all over again, right?

Yeah and lose amrita unless you use a branch. But what do arrows and bullets have to do with boss fights? Just get in there and beat some ass.

This is the one thing that bugs me about Souls games and Nioh. The enemies don't attack until you're right up on top of them. I don't remember it being like that in other character action games. It just feels too monster closet like.

It could be that you have a stealth bonus on one of your gear.

But more likely because people would not be able to handle multiple enemies at the same time. Remember DS2? Non stop bitching.

Jimrpg

It could be that you have a stealth bonus on one of your gear.

But more likely because people would not be able to handle multiple enemies at the same time. Remember DS2? Non stop bitching.

Oh for sure it comes with the territory, it's just the way Souls games are. i don't have a solution to the problem but it does feel like I'm running a gauntlet of enemies and it can get a bit samey.

Also Nioh is better equipped to handle multiple enemies with the dashing abilities in low and mid stance.

I don't understand this - how can I tell if the Yasakani Magatama set bonus thing is working? I have three pieces of Fanatic set, so with the accessory should have four, but if I ever hover over another Fanatic armor piece that I don't have equipped, it says I would get the bonus for having four pieces, but if the accessory is working it should say I'd get the bonus for five pieces.

It is working, just equip 3 pieces and Yasakani, highlight one of the pieces and change the tab to set bonuses and it will show you that you get bonus for 4 pieces with only three equipped. Don't check it on the piece that isn't equipped, do it on one you have on you.

Just look at mine, I have three pieces from three different sets and yet I get bonuses from 4 pieces from each of them.

32464483933_40532cb9fb_c.jpg

33238004086_8c3c9d9a0d_c.jpg

32464485523_1341aba4d2_c.jpg

Oh for sure it comes with the territory, it's just the way Souls games are. i don't have a solution to the problem but it does feel like I'm running a gauntlet of enemies and it can get a bit samey.

Also Nioh is better equipped to handle multiple enemies with the dashing abilities in low and mid stance.

Heh well there was a stage later in the game, one guy sounded an alarm and I thought it was going to be 1-2 extra guys running over the hill.

Turns out it was 7 dudes lol.

k1t4j

Got my platinum this morning, when the last twilight message popped.

Fantastic game, beginning to the end and has a lot of great things going on.

I'm thinking of starting a new character and trying out other builds and weapons, I only use the red demon set which I know has a lot of bad rep around these parts but holy crap I'm demolishing enemies and bosses.

Baalzebup

http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge

Should be in the "damage pool". (Edit: looks like it's still a wip)

But what do you mean by two damage stats? You mean elemental damage as well as base damage?
I've mentioned this before, but that Wiki is inaccurate. The damage pool lists stat scaling abilities and damage bonus abilities to be in the same pool and that is just not true. Plenty of weapons have been posted that have both.

The shuriken one and the shooing one are the best in class.

If your character level is quite a bit lower than the mission level, say over 15, do you guys tackle it or try and power up a few levels before tackling it?

Greddleok

Well I finished the game last night. The
multiple
boss fights werwnt as hard as I expected. Parry just annihilated everything.

I now need to get all the dailies and find all the kodamas and springs. All the boring stuff basically.
Might have a crack st NG+ too, although Zelda is taking up most of my time.

I've mentioned this before, but that Wiki is inaccurate. The damage pool lists stat scaling abilities and damage bonus abilities to be in the same pool and that is just not true. Plenty of weapons have been posted that have both.

The shuriken one and the shooing one are the best in class.

Yikes, looks like it's gonna be another few months before they get everything sorted out.

...and the dlc is only 2 months away lol

If your character level is quite a bit lower than the mission level, say over 15, do you guys tackle it or try and power up a few levels before tackling it?

Jump right into it. Level isn't as big a deal.

IvorB

Played the the sh*t out of this game at the weekend and loved every second of it. I've got a pretty good build going so making great progress through the levels and bosses. Loved some of the human bosses I've fought so far especially the ones just using the normal weapon moves. Saved a clip of one of my favourite fights so far.

Honestly, the satisfaction of gathering, tweaking and optimising loot and gear; learning and perfecting the various fighting styles; and, then carving your way through the level is just sublime.

Main complaint is so many fancy sword recipes but the other weapons get squat. Still can't build a decent kusarigama :-(.

More stupid questions but I only have the first three areas unlocked in mark of the strong, is this normal?

Also what the best way to spend money on at the smith, reforging or soul match or something else. Thanks!

SephiZack

I am not sure if it's known but I have found a glitch in "A meeting on the other shore" that breaks
Yuki-Onna
's AI, which basically allows you to
fight against Nobunaga alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NZpW-AfXm4

More stupid questions but I only have the first three areas unlocked in mark of the strong, is this normal?

Also what the best way to spend money on at the smith, reforging or soul match or something else. Thanks!

There is a bar on the lower right of the map. Clearing main and side missions will fill it and you unlock more regions the more you fill it.

If you just want to spend money, I would forge a huge amount of armour, sell it and forge again. If you are talking about farming for lategame gear, reforging, soul matching and forging are all good options

SephiZack

Whats the glitch? She just doesn't come over there if you stay over there from the beginning?

Even if she comes over there, you can make her follow you somewhere far from that zone and then go back inside it and her AI will break again. It doesn't necessarily have to be at the beginning, as long as you stand there and she's not near you when you're standing there

Deku Tree

Even if she comes over there, you can make her follow you somewhere far from that zone and then go back inside it and her AI will break again. It doesn't necessarily have to be at the beginning, as long as you stand there and she's not near you when you're standing there

Oh I get it. Probably has nothing to do with that spot. Maybe the arena is so big and she is too far away from you so that her proximity tracking stops working and her AI breaks?

SephiZack

Oh I get it. Probably has nothing to do with that spot. Maybe the arena is so big and she is too far away from you so that her proximity tracking stops working and her AI breaks?

It works even if she's fairly near you. I tested it and sometimes she throws her weapon at me and then runs away to the gate

I did another naked run of Two Kings NG+. Wasn't happy with the one from before because I still had my guardian spirit equipped and I shot T
achibana
in the head at the start.

The Two Kings: Nioh (NG+) - No Damage; No Armor; No Guardian Spirit; No Ninjutsu; No Onmyo

I'm much happier with this run, though it is a lot slower than the previous one; dual kats lack so much damage compared to single kats when naked, due to single kats having that massive damage boost with the from-behind mystic art.

Jingo

Neogaf is just the best, if it wasnt this topic, i would never unlock sloth for myself, game changer, even tough i try to use it only in last case.

Okay, so in case anyone was wondering- No, crafting non-unique sets don't seem to be worth it lol. My stats seem generally worse even with 8 levels up and all purple.

But to be fair I have been running a magic build, so that might have tip the scale a bit. But for all the defense stats I seen on my mage gear, sometimes even higher defense than some medium armor, it still feels like I take more damage until I put on some heavy armor.

Is toughness more important than defense?

Is toughness more important than defense?

It can be, if you're confident in your ability to not get hit in the first place. Toughness lessens the amount of ki you lose when you guard, and at 200 or higher toughness, you no longer get interrupted if you get hit during an attack/dodge.

It can be, if you're confident in your ability to not get hit in the first place. Toughness lessens the amount of ki you lose when you guard, and at 200 or higher toughness, you no longer get interrupted if you get hit during an attack/dodge.

You know what, that might be the cause of the problem- Getting clipped with a bad dodge.

But defense is suppose to decrease overall damage taken right?

You know what, that might be the cause of the problem- Getting clipped with a bad dodge.

But defense is suppose to decrease overall damage taken right?

Yeah. And getting clipped during a dodge does suck. Because sometimes when it happens, I don't notice I actually got hit, and suddenly it's like "Wait, when did my health get that low?"

Top Bottom