• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh patch 1.06 drops, adds pause

Caderfix

Oh, damn. I enjoy not being able to pause, keeps me on my toes :/

But it'll make the game more accessible, so, smart move I guess.

Deku Tree

Maybe if you're playing on PC with a SSD.... Especially if the game you're playing is Bloodborne. Which incidentally only had invasions in a few select areas with a specific enemy so not having a pause in the game in that case because of worrying about invasions is especially laughable.

That said, if quit solves the problem, why are people so against a pause. People can already get out of the game, all pause then does is mean you don't have to sit through un-necessary loading screens. I'm at a loss why people are so against it.

In Bloodborne you don't need to pause, you can just stand by a Lamp and go answer the front door or whatever.

Zafir

Well if you are standing by the lamp enemies don't aggro against you so you don't need to activate the lamp.

You still have to run back to a lamp though anyway. Or use an item, and then walk back to where you got to.

Again, not ideal.

I'll leave the debate here anyway. I love the souls(borne) games, but I don't believe for one second the games would be damaged in any way by having a pause. No debating will change that for me.

I am legitimately shocked Sloth Talisman was not nerfed. I'm glad it seems the infinite living weapons builds are getting nerfed but it probably won't equate to much with those builds.

farisr

You still have to run back to a lamp though anyway. Or use an item, and then walk back to where you got to.

Again, not ideal.

I'll leave the debate here anyway. I love the souls(borne) games, but I don't believe for one second the games would be damaged in any way by having a pause. No debating will change that for me.
Yeah, same here. As far as I'm concerned pause in a game does not effect difficulty (unless you can manage inventory/weapon select/craft in the pause menu). All the lack of pause does in the souls games is just make the games more inconvenient rather than difficult.

To be honest, the only way I could see the pause feature making the game more "casual" is if you used it to pause buffer every single fight in the game, which, in my eyes, is more difficult than just playing it normally.

In fact, they obviously just made it more hardcore.

Silvard

Is there any way to delete trophies from your PSN account? I can't have this now disgustingly casual game tainting my play history. I'd lose all my real gamer credit if someone else were to inspect it and see this.

I know I can hide trophies and no one else would know...but I'd know.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to delete trophies from your PSN account? I can't have this now disgustingly casual game tainting my play history. I'd lose all my real gamer credit if someone else were to inspect it and see this.

I know I can hide trophies and no one else would know...but I'd know.

Just do it like the WoW players :p you are the pre patch elite, everyone else is post patch filth.
I wonder if infinite Living Weapon still works.

RPGam3r

Don't really see the need for a pause button personally but I guess it's good for all the people who need it. Since there's no online invasions it makes sense for this game . People asking for it in souls is a little ridiculous though maybe in offline mode .

The vast majority of a Souls game is not being invaded, aka not multiplayer. And how do people not see the need for a single press option to make it easier to walk away from a game you're playing?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Will return to this gem soon. Beat region 1 and then Zelda came out. Didn't really expect it, but Nioh is my goty so far.

Milijango

Given that the game doesn't save anything unless you die or pray at a shrine this is long, long overdue.

Seriously Nioh's save system was (well, still is) terrible. Anytime I needed to leave the game I had to throw myself off a cliff to keep my new items and exp.

LAM09

Didn't expect the introduction of a pause menu to be such a talking point. I was fine without it, but good to see them add it regardless.

Shahed

Thank god for being allowed to pause the game. Now when someone wants.my attention I can give it to them, or if someone knocks on the door I can actually answer it instead of hesitating. Heck since you can pause this game I can actually recommend it to my sister unlike certain other games

Nioh getting a pause function is really detrimental for the future of the video game community. You can't raise a new generation of hardcore gamers on candy crush and inevitably lose this consumer group if you continue to cater to casuals. Even a big part of the indi dev community release on the existance of people who like to die over and over and still want to continue.
If you can't play this game because it has no pause funtion than don't play it and don't start using all of your social media accounts to harass developers until they add it in. You don't see this kind of behaviour anywhere else. You don't see people in physics say "Hey, quantum physics is hard, please change it so I get it", those people get laughed at.

You know what doesn't have a pause button? My kids. So it's nice to have an optional way to pause the game at a tense parts and be able to come back to it when I've taken care of things. It's something I personally welcome. If you'd like a challenge for Nioh game go grab two kids and have them wrestle you while you fight a boss.

hertog

I'm married...... the wife doesn't understand why I must keep playing while she's talkng to me. I for one welcome the pause button.

shiyrley

Banned
Nioh getting a pause function is really detrimental for the future of the video game community. You can't raise a new generation of hardcore gamers on candy crush and inevitably lose this consumer group if you continue to cater to casuals. Even a big part of the indi dev community release on the existance of people who like to die over and over and still want to continue.
If you can't play this game because it has no pause funtion than don't play it and don't start using all of your social media accounts to harass developers until they add it in. You don't see this kind of behaviour anywhere else. You don't see people in physics say "Hey, quantum physics is hard, please change it so I get it", those people get laughed at.
I refuse to believe this is something a real human being thinks

image.php

Mezoly

Pause is very welcoming news. It didn't make sense in Nioh there is no invasion and enemy patrols are mostly limited.

I'm married...... the wife doesn't understand why I must keep playing while she's talkng to me. I for one welcome the pause button.

Same with me. My wife was saying why can't you pause this game while you could pause the others. It made play Nioh less because each time I want to start the game I needed to make sure that I won't be interrupted or my attention would be needed somewhere else

Fantastic.

In Souls I can already put the system into Rest Mode, and I can simply quit the game and reload exactly where I quit.

Other than potentially saving several fucktons of my time that would otherwise be lost during going in and out of Rest Mode when I have to take a piss, what differences would adding a Pause feature cause?

Zocano

What a silly thing to add. As long as it doesn't let you twiddle in your menu and adjust stuff when paused then sure, I guess.

I like games that force you into certain habits if you wish to interact with them and no pausing is definitely a tool for that. But there's also the elitist part of me that is amused when people complain they can't deal with no pause. Oh well. I'll keep holding off playing this game anyway cause the loot system seems like the most useless and unnecessary shit to apply to the souls style of play.

You know what doesn't have a pause button? My kids. So it's nice to have an optional way to pause the game at a tense parts and be able to come back to it when I've taken care of things. It's something I personally welcome. If you'd like a challenge for Nioh game go grab two kids and have them wrestle you while you fight a boss.
Maybe go on social media and ask the developer for a patch? ;D

Both extremes are wrong. It definitely wasn't needed, but it won't ruin everything either. It'll be interesting to see how it does affect the gameplay down the line if at all.

I mean, if it is only for single player than it will impact the gameplay by allowing people with families to be able to pause for life's necessities without being punished. The ability to play games uninterrupted by life is not a skill but a luxury.

The lack of pause has severely impacted my desire to progress through the souls games since I have a very demanding home life. This feature may be enough to push me over the top and get this game. The story and atmosphere are much more appealing to my personal tastes as well.

I am glad this was added.

BigEmil

This thread made me lose the very few brain cells i already had. Thank God I wasn't part of the Souls community

Eusis

Given how quitting out worked and the fact it doesn't really work the same for MP (no real invasions, just ad hoc bot fighting) it really was for the best to stick a pause button in I think.

pablito

As a huge fan of Souls who planned on getting Ni-oH, I am not going to get it now. The lack of pause added immersion and elevated them from commercial products to artistic worlds that demanded the player to engage in it.

Couldn't you just break your controllers pause button, elevating all your games from commercial product to art?

Top Bottom