• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

Castef

Banned
People keep saying release to PC. But think about that for a sec.

Their games are built on PS hardware. It would take considerable amount of effort (and cost) for a small company to port. The only easiest would be Disgaea 5 since PS4 is like a PC. 2nd their fanbase is definitely on Playstation (they tried DS and bombed). It also targets a specific type of audience. 3rd, the Japanese PC market is small. So they would have to rely solely on the Western PC market on very niche genre.

I don't think they would take a gamble like that.

Have you seen one of the Disgaea Games?

I can't really believe that they are DIFFICULT to bring on PC or XB1.

That should be a very simple conversion process.

StevieP

Banned
I'm not getting why people think they could of branched out. If it was an American company sure I could see it but we're talking about a small Japanese company here. To reach the biggest market they could on a small budget they put games on the most popular system which was Sony's. Nintendo's systems were under powered compared to Sony's, the DS couldn't even play a PS2 era Disgaea 1 without stripping out features. The Xbox was never an option due to the tiny install base they have there especially with the smaller budgets that they're working with.
The only non-Sony game they've made themselves was Disgaea for the DS the other 3 were just published by them.

As for putting 5 on PS4 only, it's basically following a trend of putting games on the now current console a year or two after the console debuts and with one near the end of the console's lifespan. Not to mention with the features that they're putting into the game the PS3 can not handle it hence why there is no PS3 port.

Playstation 2 released in early 2000, Disgaea 1 released in 1/2003, Disgaea 2 released in 2/2006
Playstation 3 released in late 2006 Disgaea 3 released 1/2008, Disgaea 4 released 2/2011, D2 released 3/2013
Playstation 4 released in 2014(Japan) Disgaea 5 release date 3/2015.

If they are leaving then they are going out with a bang since 5 is their PS4 debut and can only be played on the PS4.

The ps4 has a tiny install base there. It's the wrong platform. There are other current platforms that likely wouldn't have any trouble handling these games that are actually relevant there.

Their games are built on PS hardware. It would take considerable amount of effort (and cost) for a small company to port. The only easiest would be Disgaea 5 since PS4 is like a PC. 2nd their fanbase is definitely on Playstation (they tried DS and bombed). It also targets a specific type of audience. 3rd, the Japanese PC market is small. So they would have to rely solely on the Western PC market on very niche genre.

The Japanese ps4 market is probably even smaller. Japanese software seems to be doing pretty well on steam

CmdBash

recent jrpg releases have shown that steam is a viable release platform for them. Would it really take that many resources porting over disgaea? It isn't exactly pushing any system to its limits. At dire times like these they need to take risks and do whatever it takes to keep themselves afloat.

The PC is not going to "safe" NIS. The company is constantly on the brink of dying because they release one mega bomba after another, what kind of numbers are their games supposed to do on steam to turn them into a healthy company again? Yeah, something pretty damn unrealistic. Companies like NIS need at least somewhat decent sales in their home-market to have some breathing room, a future where Steam sales are supposed to keep them afloat does not exist.

Matriox

I feel bad for the guys, but this level of desperation to say "it will be your fault if this doesn't sell well", I just can't get behind that kind of a message.

Tybolt

Banned
I really tried to feel bad about it all, but then I remember I haven't given them a penny since I was jilted by them during the Disgaea 3 DLC snafu and I feel nothing.

patapuf

装甲悪鬼村正;142671823 said:
The PC is not going to "safe" NIS. The company is constantly on the brink of dying because they release one mega bomba after another, what kind of numbers are their games supposed to do on steam to turn them into a healthy company again? Yeah, something pretty damn unrealistic. Companies like NIS need at least somewhat decent sales in their home-market to have some breathing room, a future where Steam sales are supposed to keep them afloat does not exist.

They don't need to go PC only.

But bringing a good SRPG on PC is not a "gamble". It's a pretty popular genre on PC.

And even if PC wans't an option. Why release it on PS 4 only? If they are that desperate for sales they could at least release it on PS3 too. Or, a platform that's actually selling well in Japan.

AlucardGV

Banned
i always gladly gave them my money but lately, with the european store i kinda stopped buying their games d1 limited...

Sony should make them a first party studio.

sony doesn't care anymore about jrpgs, do you think they'll spend money to buy a studio who make games like atelier and disgaea?

Kouriozan

Disgaea is a system seller for me.
In fact I bought a Vita only for the Disgaea ports. Tried its other retail games and didn't really like it.

I need more Disgaea in my life.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
In fact I bought a Vita only for the Disgaea ports. Tried its other retail games and didn't really like it.

Yup, in my case it'll probably be the tipping point for getting a PS4.

I think if someone were to Buy NIS it would be Sony first, then Nintendo after....maybe Sega.

Seriously I dint know things were going bad for them....:(

akileese

I said localizing everything wasn't a smart business decision before, or allowing NISA to do so. Sucks.

Yeah I mean, I love NISA stuff and used to get their CE/LEs all the time, but when they started shotgunning them out at the pace they are now, it's just too much. They really should be a bit more picky about what they localize.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Yeah, I'm too far behind on their games. I spent like 90 hours on D1, and I've been meaning to pick up 2 but I don't have space on my Vita memory card (hate that). I also have Phantom Brave on PS2 to still play (but I might just re-buy it for Vita if I get a new memory card).

I hope they don't go down, but knowing this doesn't make me able to help them significantly. I'll try to make my roommate get D5 on his PS4, but he's a shitty gamer.

They should port their most popular games to the PC; release them on Steam and GOG.

Japanese devs need to get on that shit. Seriously.

Khrno

I actually didn't buy a PS3 until the day D3 came out, I think I've bought every single main Disgaea game (including ports on DS/PSP/Vita) except the Prinny games and the Disgaea Infinite, although I really enjoy the stories and characters, I actually like them tied to the SRPG gameplay.

I just pre-ordered something the other day directly from the NISA store. I hope that small amount of revenue can tide them over for a while. It was an "invitation only" sort of thing. Since I was "invited", I figured I'd show my support.

I really don't mean to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure the game you preordered was Criminal Girls: Invite Only. Invite Only is the subtitle of the game. That being said, NISA always pulls together great CE's and I've bought pretty much every one they've put out including Mugen Souls (uggghhh) and Natural Doctrine (such a great surprise).

I've only put a few hours into the first Disgaea but I've enjoyed many of the games they've developed and appreciate NISA's localization efforts. I really hope that this statement is an exaggeration but I'll definitely do my part by buying D5 when it comes out in the US.

SerTapTap

Yeah, I'm too far behind on their games. I spent like 90 hours on D1, and I've been meaning to pick up 2 but I don't have space on my Vita memory card (hate that). I also have Phantom Brave on PS2 to still play (but I might just re-buy it for Vita if I get a new memory card).

I hope they don't go down, but knowing this doesn't make me able to help them significantly. I'll try to make my roommate get D5 on his PS4, but he's a shitty gamer.

My advice would be skip Disgaea 2 and go to 3 or 4 on Vita. It'll look better and 2 didn't really improve on mechanics significantly nor does it have the best story.

I think if someone were to Buy NIS it would be Sony first, then Nintendo after....maybe Sega.

Seriously I dint know things were going bad for them....:(

I see basically zero chance Nintendo would buy them, and while I hope if they go under that someone buys them, Nintendo would be one of the worst possible choices. Unless they let NISA operate as usual the west would probably never see another NIS game a la Fatal Frame, and Nintendo probably doesn't like the content or humor of most of NIS games anyway.

Somnid

Sony makes sense on the surface level that N1 fans buy Sony hardware. But Sony has a poor track record with Japanese market games and certainly their new focus has pretty much thrown all non-Western targeted games by the wayside. Given that N1 can't hold together or elevate their brand, Sony likely wouldn't do a better job and therefore it would have no value for them.

It would make more sense for someone like Sega (who aren't doing too well themselves), or perhaps one of the bigger mobile developers looks to diversify and expand to acquire them or at least their IP.

Kitoro

NISA always felt like an exclusive club to longtime fans than a regular publisher to me, honestly.

I pretty much buy any game of theirs that's part of a relatively new IP, and doesn't get horrible reviews. Never grew up with Disgaea or the Atelier series, and, aside from Dangan Ronpa and Muramasa, they don't seem to put out much else worthwhile for those that aren't longtime fans to jump into.

Sify64

My advice would be skip Disgaea 2 and go to 3 or 4 on Vita. It'll look better and 2 didn't really improve on mechanics significantly nor does it have the best story.

I see basically zero chance Nintendo would buy them, and while I hope if they go under that someone buys them, Nintendo would be one of the worst possible choices. Unless they let NISA operate as usual the west would probably never see another NIS game a la Fatal Frame, and Nintendo probably doesn't like the content or humor of most of NIS games anyway.
Monolith Soft disagrees. Either way, Nintendo is the least likely choice as I don't think the developers even want to develop for Nintendo platforms.

FireCloud

I really don't mean to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure the game you preordered was Criminal Girls: Invite Only. Invite Only is the subtitle of the game.

I wan't one of the select few who received the invitation?
(was meant as a joke)...Not that I'm admitting to pre-ordering such a potentially shameful game....

This is the second time they've been at death's door in a decade, and after their repugnant behavior during that one (and its repurcussions), I can't say I feel much loss.

And that's the situation from me due to their swearing fealty to otaku pandering, and once you do that, it's extremely hard for anyone to give you a second chance (see: Gust).

Sucks we'll never see Makai Kingdom 2: The Most Badass Freaking Overlords Returns, but quite honestly, we ain't been getting much of that caliber and taste outside of ZHP anyways (and again, much of those guys are gone), so yeah...

I do hope Sato and the other talent left land safely; we've lost too much of them from the industry over the last 10 years.

Nice. It's too bad that team didn't get to make another.

Slightly OT, but if anyone is interested in the behind the scenes, the Udon book VC Design Archive has lots of great interviews, notes, stories etc. The interviews are so un-western; like how one artist talked about being terrified of getting tendinitis because of the 14+ hour days he puts in and talking about how he keeps a couple old cans of tuna on his shelf as a memorial to his dead cat. Great stuff.

Yeah, deeper Japanese interviews are the best in the world, which is wierd considering how dull and PR-laden most are over there.

This.
The grinding and leveling up your weapon is stupid.
Same with rebirth/mentor BS.

Just give us a straight forward, less grindly, shared EXP game.
People play the Disgaea series for the humors and the characters....the overall gameplay sucks.

And out comes the gamer bribery demands. Classy.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's sad. But honestly I don't think I'll be buying it. I loved the first two Disgaea games but I quit the series after Disgaea 3 mostly due to so many extra characters being sold as DLC.

TomShoe

Banned
This is the second time they've been at death's door in a decade, and after their repugnant behavior during that one (and its repurcussions), I can't say I feel much loss.

And that's the situation from me due to their swearing fealty to otaku pandering, and once you do that, it's extremely hard for anyone to give you a second chance (see: Gust).

Sucks we'll never see Makai Kingdom 2: The Most Badass Freaking Overlords Returns, but quite honestly, we ain't been getting much of that caliber and taste outside of ZHP anyways (and again, much of those guys are gone), so yeah...

I do hope Sato and the other talent left land safely; we've lost too much of them from the industry over the last 10 years.

Yeah, deeper Japanese interviews are the best in the world, which is wierd considering how dull and PR-laden most are over there.

And out comes the gamer bribery demands. Classy.

Still waiting on Asagi to get her own game.

The ps4 has a tiny install base there. It's the wrong platform. There are other current platforms that likely wouldn't have any trouble handling these games that are actually relevant there.

The Japanese ps4 market is probably even smaller. Japanese software seems to be doing pretty well on steam

Which platforms are these? I can only potentially think of one: PC. Scaling back their ambitions for another platform may not give them the boost they need either.

There is no guarantee they'd make any more money on a PC only version. The fact that lots of PC ports of JRPGs have done well doesn't say much as ports are cheap so the cost to break even is a lot less than for an original title. We rarely know the sales for digital PC titles.

I would have thought the best way to get a PC port would be to support the PS4 version, and if they survive, convince them a port is worthwhile.

I couldn't get into any of the Disgaea games no matter how hard I tried. But I would suck for NIS to go down. I did somehow, like the Record of Agarest War demo. I'll have to give D5 a try and support them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If the lesser known Agarest series is doing well on Steam, I don't see how Disgaea wouldn't fair better.

Seriously.

Japan is completely out of touch. They have all the answers they need right in front of their noses.

koutoru

It's times like these I wish simultaneous releases in Japan and the West were more of a thing (especially for companies that actually have their own western branch).

A PC port in Japan obviously wouldn't be worth it.
However it would do well on Steam in the west.
The problem is that now NIS is relying solely on the Japanese PS4 market to make or break their company, not to mention the fact that they competing with Bloodborne in the same week.

In short, they're kinda backed into a corner.

Kasumin

Wait, aren't NIS the guys who release Atlus games in EU? I haven't really played any of their games, but I'd be sad to seem them go under... I don't have a PS4, though, so I don't have a reason to get Disgaea 5.

Yeah I mean, I love NISA stuff and used to get their CE/LEs all the time, but when they started shotgunning them out at the pace they are now, it's just too much. They really should be a bit more picky about what they localize.

Mhmm, I have been saying this for a couple of years.

vcc

Have you seen one of the Disgaea Games?

I can't really believe that they are DIFFICULT to bring on PC or XB1.

That should be a very simple conversion process.

I think it's the expectations of the PC market which brings up the cost.

Also, the Japanese PC market is small as well. They'd have to localize for America which is a cost on top.

I think Sony has been doing a lot of outreach to get PS4 exclusives. Helping NIS with the localization of Disgaea 5 would make it a great niche title. It'd easily sell 400k once localized.

I feel bad for NIS but then I remember that I haven't bought a NIS game since Disgaea 1 on the ps2. So I am not much help to them.

canedaddy

Natlamp73.jpg

This.
The grinding and leveling up your weapon is stupid.
Same with rebirth/mentor BS.

Just give us a straight forward, less grindly, shared EXP game.
People play the Disgaea series for the humors and the characters....the overall gameplay sucks.

I always felt like the NIS games do a good job of striking a balance between being accessible to people who just want to do the main story and get out and having enough depth to satisfy the people who want to go all in on the post-game.

I wouldn't mind seeing D5 make leveling up characters who are behind easier, though- of course, at the same time I did enjoy it when Desco hit critical mass in D4 and became strong enough to steamroll everything on her own.

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
As much as I like NIS, this has been a long time coming. I've bought most of their games since I got my PS2, and subsequently PS3, but it always confused me how they were able to stay in business with the niche appeal they have. I assumed it was because they did reasonably well in Japan, but this doesn't sound like that's the case.

It'd be sad, but not entirely unexpected.

As far as ports go, I don't think it's a problem with difficulty of porting, but the time required to port and its actual worth for them. I don't work for NIS (or game development for that matter, just general software development), so this is all conjecture:

My understanding is that developers mostly take on losses while games are in development and then recoup them after release. That's why pushing release dates is a hard choice to make because it increases the break-even sell amount (because, you know, you have to pay your employees regardless). Even assuming you know the architecture well (they probably don't, and the existing code probably wasn't designed with PC in mind), the time it would take to port to PC, do proper amounts of testing (across a wide array of specs, before it doesn't work on AMD cards), and bundle it all up and ship it properly is at least a month or two (and that's a pretty extreme underestimation of level of effort required), which equates to a lot more money drained.

An already Niche user base is further split between PC and PS4 (assuming most people don't buy both) and even if it did ok in drawing in new players (like, say 50% more, and that's super generous) it would still be considered a failure (100,000 -> 150,000) because of the extra cost sunk into the PC version.

And then it sells for $49.99 ($10 cheaper than PS4) and nobody buys it because they're waiting for steam sales and it being $20 and the interested party already bought it for PS4.

Top Bottom