• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

Shouta

It's a shame it's come to this for them. During the PS2 era they looked like they really had cool ideas but always failed to polish it and expand them into something meaty beyond stat-munching. I had hoped they would have refined their design process but they just kept making bombs and relying on Disgaea.

Effect

Is there any reason why this series wasn't moved to the DS/PSP or 3DS/Vita to keep cost down and possible reach more people? With the main series I mean and not a spin off. I don't get why they stayed on the console and just Sony consoles? Did they not try to catch the Wii wave with an entry?

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
Is there any reason why this series wasn't moved to the DS/PSP or 3DS/Vita to keep cost down and possible reach more people? With the main series I mean and not a spin off. I don't get why they stayed on the console and just Sony consoles? Did they not try to catch the Wii wave with an entry?

I think they tried on DS. Disgaea DS came out and probably didn't do all that well (though I attribute that to being a 3rd time remake).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
People keep saying release to PC. But think about that for a sec.

Their games are built on PS hardware. It would take considerable amount of effort (and cost) for a small company to port. The only easiest would be Disgaea 5 since PS4 is like a PC. 2nd their fanbase is definitely on Playstation (they tried DS and bombed). It also targets a specific type of audience. 3rd, the Japanese PC market is small. So they would have to rely solely on the Western PC market on very niche genre.

I don't think they would take a gamble like that.

Their games are made in the PhyreEngine, which seems easy enough to port to PC. Things like CritterCrunch, Shatter, Hotline Miami, and Divekick were all made in PhyreEngine and are on PC.

The reason to port to PC is to appeal to the international audience. Europe is a huge market for PC games and Disgaea is just the type of thing that should sell well in the region.

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
Disgaea 3 also came out on the Vita, I own it.

I own it too, but I admit to not having even broken the seal on it yet. Every Disgaea comes out on a home console first and is later ported to handhelds (in fact, I think at this point, every prior mainline Disgaea can be found on either PSP or PSVita). Maybe Disgaea 5 should have just gone full Vita.

I own it too, but I admit to not having even broken the seal on it yet. Every Disgaea comes out on a home console first and is later ported to handhelds (in fact, I think at this point, every prior mainline Disgaea can be found on either PSP or PSVita). Maybe Disgaea 5 should have just gone full Vita.

Yeah I don't think that would work, at all. They'd might as well just close the doors just after making that decision.

nampad

Think it is a bad idea for them to be banking on the PS4 then. They should have added at least the Vita to the mix.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Stop being such pessimists. It will sell as planned. Now back to D2 !

The reason to port to PC is to appeal to the international audience.

Outside recent fighter announcements, when it comes to japanese IPs, abandoned ones tend to come to the pc. I think it's more likely for Disgaea games to come to the PC if 5 doesn't sell enough. But it wouldn't save the series in anyway. I'd be another bargain bin sellout.

Hope it sells really well. One of the last remaining SRPG series and it happens to be one of the best.

Disgaea 4 was brilliant, as was 2. Didn't like 3 too much.

Will buy 5 without hesitation

Gestault

Maybe considering releasing your titles on platforms which are functionally identical to your original development platform if you find there are limitations to your audience. Or, you know, crafting new experiences based on critical reaction instead of relying on catering to a tiny subset of people who play the genre you're targeting.

OtakuReborn124

Neo Member
Yeah I don't think that would work, at all. They'd might as well just close the doors just after making that decision.

A scoped down version that costs less to make would make sense to me. The user base for Disgaea is probably among the more loyal ones if it's lasted this long, so those that would buy it would buy it for whatever platform it came out on. It seems like they would get better return if that was the case.

Considering they continue to make Disgaea remakes for PSVita, it would seem reasonable to assume they've seen a reasonable intersection of Disgaea fans and PSVita owners, at least enough to deem the remakes worthwhile.

i remember NISA saying that if NIS goes down they are okay. this came up the last time they were in trouble before D4. NISA does nice packaging but there's usually no dub so whatever.

It's a shame it's come to this for them. During the PS2 era they looked like they really had cool ideas but always failed to polish it and expand them into something meaty beyond stat-munching. I had hoped they would have refined their design process but they just kept making bombs and relying on Disgaea.

Well... considering that their first game (Marl Kingdom) had "Monsters are usable but not worth spending hours to capture" then 5 years later, in the first Disgaea, "Monsters are inferior to humanoids in every way, and if they're INT-based, they're fucked" makes it easy to believe that they're not that good in polishing ideas.

Finalow

I guess that great edo turd didn't sell well at all. it'd be a shame, I usually like Disgaea games.

and yeah, as Shouta wrote it probably would have been different now if they tried to focus on different concepts and ideas.

Use Laharl and I'll buy a copy day 1. Use someone I'm not invested in and you may get my money...eventually and only after I've researched it.

Shouta

Well... considering that their first game had "Monsters are usable but not worth spending hours to capture" then 5 years later in Disgaea, "Monsters are inferior to humanoids in every way, and if they're INT-based, they're fucked" makes it easy to believe that they're not that good in polishing ideas.

RIP monsters. Always bad in NIS' eyes.

Not really since Magichange was introduced

Dunno I think I'd rather have 10 decked characters out on the field to clear it in one turn rather than spend time fusing and dual magichanging to only muster 2 attacks. after all these years it's still hard to top fist weapons and casters for crushing maps in the postgame.

FluxWaveZ

What the fuck is this sentence?

Oh, it probably made more sense before the thread split. New developer comments were being gradually added, each with reasons to be excited or interested in the company's future developments and reasons to celebrate PlayStation's 20th anniversary, and then came the NIS translation which basically went "we're dying."

If it's about the sentence structure: "lol at" was an easy way for me to express amusement at the contrast between NIS' message and the others in a non-formal way that also conveyed I wasn't ridiculing their sincerely serious predicament. "That's some despair" was a double entendre, both figuratively quantifying the sense of "despair" behind their message and feelings, as well as referencing the popular Danganronpa series localized by NISA, of which "despair" is a significant motif. Hope you understand it better now!

So a NISA rep posted a clarification on their forums:

Hey doods! Just going to jump in and drop this here for your edification since there seems to have been a misunderstanding as things were lost in translation.

As is very typical of him, Mr. Niikawa’s original statements in Japanese were in jest, which unfortunately doesn't quite come across when taken out of context and in translation.

Mr. Niikawa’s original comment during a live interview with Nico Nico was actually that he might be fired, however, this was somehow turned into the below comment by a Japanese blogger.
「ディスガイア5が計画通り売れなかったら来年業界にいないかも。Bloodborneと丸
被りになっちゃったけど両方買って欲しい。」
We asked Mr. Niikawa to clarify and he said that the correct spirit and translation of the comment is, "If Disgaea 5 does not sell as planned, I, as the producer, might need to leave the Japanese gaming industry. (LOL)"

Mr. Niikawa further adds, "This comment was simply self-deprecating humor and in no way did it mean or imply that Nippon Ichi Software as a company is going bankrupt or is in financial difficulties. I was merely trying to use humor in order to get the point across that we are committed to selling 150,000 copies of Disgaea 5.”

Hopefully that calms some of your concerns. We're planning to be around and bringing fun titles to the West for a long while yet!

Hopefully that's true.

That makes WAY more sense, and it explains why it sounded so hilarious to me when it first came up. NIS isn't on the brink of disaster, after all!

Now you guys can announce the Danganronpa: Another Episode localization.

It also didn't make sense when looking at their financials.

NIS isn't "on the brink of financial collapse." They're not doing the greatest, but they're certainly not on the verge of bankruptcy, either.

Glad to see that was clarified.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
THANK GOD. I don't play a ton of their games, but I appreciate the diversity they bring to gaming. Not to mention some of the titles their American division has localized.

Mikey Jr.

Disgaea 5 is probably going to be the same thing again, but I really hope for 6 they really change it up.

They have to shake up the formula.

Some in the industrty who read this board might be laughing at us a little, but try looking at it from our perspective knowing as little as we do. Our world was crashing down on us for a moment over something we love.

Steel

Banned

Every single Disgaea has had an enhanced port on PSP/Vita(Vita after its release, PSP before) made some point after the console release date. They keep porting Disgaea to Vita, so I assume it's not selling too bad on it.

Edit: Oh, awesome, it was just a translation error. Keep on trucking NIS/A and bring over DR: AE please.

Top Bottom