• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

TheChaos0

Good to hear that it was just a jest. I was thinking that it was a weird thing to say during an interview. Still, they probably do need to sell those 150k copies in the end. I'll be with you day 0 once it's out in Europe.

I want to feel bad for NIS, but at the same time it seems like they dug their own grave. Especially f they were foolish enough to believe in their own "saving console games in Japan by publishing on PS4" rhetoric. This should have been a PS3/Vita multiplat, sprite difficulties or no. Adjust the game accordingly.

I want to feel bad for NIS, but at the same time it seems like they dug their own grave. Especially f they were foolish enough to believe in their own "saving console games in Japan by publishing on PS4" rhetoric. This should have been a PS3/Vita multiplat, sprite difficulties or no. Adjust the game accordingly.
Why make the game multiplat when they can later port the game for more cash?

So a NISA rep posted a clarification on their forums:

Hopefully that's true.
That makes more sense. As many have said, it's hard to summon sympathy for a Japanese company in financial straits that banks their future on the PS4. If they continue to be an unofficial second party for Sony to the bitter end then, again, it would be hard to feel too bad. As long as they're making the money they need, can't really begrudge those choices.

Excellent news.

I hope they celebrate by announcing DanganRonpa: Another Episode localization. Right!?

(Seriously, though, I'm glad to hear it. I feel like there probably is some underlying trouble, as evidenced by the mass Compile Heart poaching recently, but I'm at least happy that there's nothing imminent to be worried about).

MechaX

Well, it's great an all that the comment was made in jest...

But that still doesn't really address the other issue of having your big game release on the same day as Bloodborne, especially given the PS4's install base in Japan.

Phew I'm relieved now, I agree that makes much more sense but really these aren't things you should lightheartedly joke with! :/

SerTapTap

I'm having trouble trying to comprehend your post lol

The 3DS posts and PC stuff is hilarious. Disgaea 1 suffered enough from the DS port, I can't imagine how bad the new sprites would hurt from a port. And PC would do nothing. Anyway, glad it was just a joke that got misinterpreted.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The 3DS posts and PC stuff is hilarious. Disgaea 1 suffered enough from the DS port, I can't imagine how bad the new sprites would hurt from a port. And PC would do nothing. Anyway, glad it was just a joke that got misinterpreted.

Did you mean PC would do nothing in terms of sales or graphics? I'm sure PC would be helpful for both.

It's usually pretty hard to find the games at retail here in Canada, and even when games are on PSN, Steam does a better job of promoting things.

On the graphics side, better hardware won't make the sprites better, but there would be other benefits. Higher resolution (1440p/4k monitors) for detail on distant sprites, higher framerates on gaming monitors, more consistent framerates with a lot of enemies and effects on screen. AA/supersampling. Load times.

OmegaDL50

Did you mean PC would do nothing in terms of sales or graphics? I'm sure PC would be helpful for both.

It's usually pretty hard to find the games at retail here in Canada, and even when games are on PSN, Steam does a better job of promoting things.

On the graphics side, better hardware won't make the sprites better, but there would be other benefits. Higher resolution (1440p/4k monitors) for detail on distant sprites, higher framerates on gaming monitors, more consistent framerates with a lot of enemies and effects on screen. AA/supersampling. Load times.

I would buy it on Steam if it did release for one thing, however AA wouldn't really help much on a game with 2D sprites as it would be not much different then edge blur filter effect, but yes Disgaea could sell well on Steam.

As for higher resolutions, well that could arguably make more problems. As if the sprites generally don't scale to higher resolutions like 3D models do, unless the sprites were instead of pixel based were vector based on triangles which would scale with a higher res.

Unfortunately because Disgaea 4 and 5's sprites are of the hand drawn variety the pixelization would only increase if you increase the game resolution.

It would be the same effect of rendering a low res SNES game (8:7 Aspect Ratio 256x224 internal res) and blowing it up to 1920x1080 for example.

The only way that could reasonable get around this issue would be to redraw the sprites at a super high resolution (which would use a TON of ram) to begin with and then scale down accordingly.

KiteGr

I've bought all of Disgaea games just have them release superior editions for PSP and Vita a year later.

I bought some of those as well since i'm a sucker for "complete editions" of games, but dont blame me if i wait for a few month to get the game...

repeater

So how has their stock been doing the last couple of days? This mistranslation was widespread enough that the incorrect statement has apparently made it onto their Wikipedia page. (Someone more Wiki-savvy than me should probably try to correct that.)

zeromcd73

So a NISA rep posted a clarification on their forums:

Hopefully that's true.
This doesn't seem to be the correct translation of the dengeki interview they seemed to be mixed up as they are quoting is his interview from 3 months ago.

They are talking about what the director was saying 3 months ago, and not the dengeki interview. In fact, the exact quote I posted yesterday:

http://blog.gamekana.com/archives/7896864.html

We are targeting for the game to hit 150k copies sold. If it doesn't, well... it might be a bit bad for myself as the company president (laughs).
Going back 2 months ago they were also seemed to be hinting this:

We asked Mr. Niikawa to clarify and he said that the correct spirit and translation of the comment is, "If Disgaea 5 does not sell as planned, I, as the producer, might need to leave the Japanese gaming industry. (LOL)"
Almost the exact same word for word (my translation was a bit different).

The reply from NIS is not in regards to this as my statement in the OP and it is s not a mistranslation, the company president never refers to himself and it really does say might go out of business. The one 3 months ago can be seen as a joke as he is laughing, but nothing about the Dengeki interview indicates this; the actual language used in the Dengeki one is actually a little depressing.

Edit: But it's great that they aren't. Hopefully everything goes well.

fedexpeon

Banned
Why make the game multiplat when they can later port the game for more cash?

I agree with you.
I have so many SE remastered games because of this brilliant concept of conning your fans. It is my fault, but I have Stockholm syndrome.

Now they are re-releasing KH1.5-2.5, and FFX-2...Geezus Square, do you even make games anymore?

JayEH

Well that statement makes more sense. I was thinking when this originally came out there must be a Lol missing somewhere. I can't think of a company that would every come out publicly to say they're about to go under.

Dambrosi

Banned
Good news, that. Makes me feel a bit foolish for commenting on their impending doom, though.

The moral of this story: Always wait for confirmation before forming an opinion.

Top Bottom