• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

-Horizon-

Behold the power of 8 gigs of GDDR5 ram

y4WnNkR.jpg

Truly the most next gen of games

Seems legit.

NIS and NISA are the same company, correct? I wonder if the folks at NIS America are feeling nervous about next year.

To think they might not be around much longer... :(

NIS and NISA are the same company, correct? I wonder if the folks at NIS America are feeling nervous about next year.

To think they might not be around much longer... :(

They're a subsidiary. So if NIS goes bankrupt, so does NIS America.

It's a real shame, because I actually like playing their localisations.

Toparaman

Banned
I love how blunt Japanese companies are about their situations. It's funny (to me as an American), but it's also how it should be.

I live for the day Tim Cook says "Please understand" or Mark Zuckerberg says "Please be excited."

Altima

I think Sony ask them to make Disgaea 5 exclusive for PS4 instead of PS3/PS4.

I hope Sony will help NIS if they have a problem after this.

Bebpo

Banned
I do think Sony Japan would be wise to buy them. Their game budgets are minuscule cheap and always give the Sony systems a stronger library. Without N1, there will definitely be a gap on the new Sony hardware releases.

Then again I can't remember the last time Sony Japan bought anyone.

Zettai Hero Project & Prinny were both great fresh ideas and helped the PSP's software library plenty. Unfortunately they didn't do that well and their sequels bombed to hell and back.

TGMIII

At what point does NIS take a serious thought about expanding to other platforms, not just console but the mobile and PC space. I know mobile is always the suggestion that people groan over, myself included, but NIS have been in a similar situation before and at some stage expanding your potential audience has to be on their mind especially with how big the mobile market is in their own country.

I get that expanding a company with financial issues isn't the easiest thing but surely in the long run it's beneficial for the company. Am I crazy for thinking this?

I do think Sony Japan would be wise to buy them. Their game budgets are minuscule cheap and always give the Sony systems a stronger library. Without N1, there will definitely be a gap on the new Sony hardware releases.

Then again I can't remember the last time Sony Japan bought anyone.

sceja barely makes games tho

i can see kadokawa buying them

Almighty

Assuming they last long enough to bring it to the US it looks I will have to change my plan on buying this when the price dropped and now buy it day 1. After reading this thread I am worried that if i wait I will miss the window and have to pay out the nose for a used copy. Probably too late for them now, but this just reinforces my belief that Japanese developers who bring their games to the west should port to the PC. The Disgaea series is one of those series I think would of done very well on the PC.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This means Disgaea 5 might not even get translated, doesn't it?

What a tragedy.

Nairume

Banned
At what point does NIS take a serious thought about expanding to other platforms, not just console but the mobile and PC space. I know mobile is always the suggestion that people groan over, myself included, but NIS have been in a similar situation before and at some stage expanding your potential audience has to be on their mind especially with how big the mobile market is in their own country.

I get that expanding a company with financial issues isn't the easiest thing but surely in the long run it's beneficial for the company. Am I crazy for thinking this?

They did attempt to do mobile. Problem is that they sabotaged themselves in the same way that they sabotaged themselves on the DS: they released a cheap port of Disgaea and hoped for the best.

I love Disgaea games but I can't help to think is their fault, their non Disgaea games are less than stellar and their pressence in Europe has been pretty bad over the years. I will do my part buying the game anyway.

Would Disgaea not appeal to the Fire Emblem Awakening crowd being a SRPG? FEA did really well worldwide IIRC.

Also the problem is all of their Nintendo efforts have been second banana and left to die, I mean their DS games were ports sans A Witch`s Tale, and I don`t think that even turned out well.

On Wii they only really did Phantom Brave and commissioned the Wii version of Sakura Wars which Idea Factory developed. Again they hardly lifted a finger on marketing and the Wii version of SW was pushed to the side, I mean only the PS2 version had the Japanese disc included.

On 3DS they only published an occasional western game like... Cave Story 3D... and in-house they only made this weird sticker game. Wat.

Yeah they put some minor stuff on Nintendo systems, but they really in no way put effort into getting people to buy them.

Diablos

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't putting Disgaea games on PC help them make more money? Shouldn't be too hard to port them.

I'd really hate to see NIS go under...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They have only themselves to blame for refusing to look beyond the PlayStation platforms.

Worse come to worst, they can go mobile.

Skittles

My eyes don't lie. Unless they've gone ahead and really upped their game majorly in the graphics department there's just no way they couldn't have scaled this back to last gen. Like someone else said though they are probably worse than even Game Freak when it comes to harnessing graphics. D3 was plain embarrassing.

http://i.imgur.com/y4WnNkR.jpg?1

The more sprites a game has, the more taxing it is on the RAM. The past games lagged due to them pushing the limits of how many sprites the system could handle. You can continue shitting on them due to ignorance though.

fek

That's terrible. NIS is great and I think it is amazing how there's always a new Disgaea but they are also always trying something different. Many good games and multiple genres too.

Nairume

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't putting Disgaea games on PC help them make more money? Shouldn't be too hard to port them.

I'd really hate to see NIS go under...
It would, but that would require them to not immediately sabotage themselves by starting with a quick and dirty port of Disgaea 1 and hoping for the best.

They will certainly be unable to resist that temptation.

Biker19

Banned

y4WnNkR.jpg

Not to mention that it'll have even more enemies on screen than what all of the other past Disgaea games have brought out, due to PS4 being much bigger than PS3 in specs, even. I like the challenge that way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would, but that would require them to not immediately sabotage themselves by starting with a quick and dirty port of Disgaea 1 and hoping for the best.

They will certainly be unable to resist that temptation.

It's commendable to start from the beginning? I got nothing.

The graphics are among the least important aspects of Disgaea games. The series had been stagnating, to say the least, but I think the latest Disgaea is the best since the original Disgaea game. Still, even the weaker editions were something I usually would spend 100+ hours on, so they are easily worth the purchase price in my eyes.

TGMIII

They did attempt to do mobile. Problem is that they sabotaged themselves in the same way that they sabotaged themselves on the DS: they released a cheap port of Disgaea and hoped for the best.

The mobile port I wasn't aware of but I've experienced the DS version first hand and it's obvious that it was an afterthought. Even with that there's no harm in trying again in new spaces and it's easier now than it ever has been to self-publish on multiple distribution platforms on various devices. I don't want this to come off as port-begging but it seems like an obvious move, especially since there are various companies out there that would do the brunt of the work for them if they weren't willing to do it in-house.

NISA did port Cladun X2 to steam, even if it was a little rough around the edges and the fact that they seemed to have forgotten that it exists.
Discount it on a steam sale sometime

Isotope

No NIS = no NISA, which potentially means no more Danganronpa localizations (Unless of course a new publisher was found)?
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png

Still sure they can port D5 to Vita. This used to be their strategy with the previous Disgaea games, and despite being late ports, they do reasonably well in Japan.

Top Bottom