• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

This is horrible. I just put up my Prinny tree ornament and now feel like Christmas is ruined. Will buy multiple times if necessary.

Khrno

I will import the JP collectors edition just to throw some money at N1S. I will also buy the American CE, to actually play the game.

HIR0

Dangan Ronpa is Spike Chunsoft, published by NISA in the west.
I do hope Nippon Ichi they pull through.

Maybe if they hadn't made the exact same game over and over and over and over again, they would have captured a bigger audience and wouldn't be in this situation.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't forget about this awesome gem guys:

prinnygameboxs7ums.jpg

Was totally rad, and not an SRPG! Sold like two copies! :(

I still have my copy...

bomblord1

Banned
Nintendo needs some more satellite studios and they are great at making a profit on smaller titles I say they should scoop them up.

x3r0123

Even though I only played the first disgaea, I would hate the studio to go away. Hope they find a way to stay alive

Busaiku

Maybe if they hadn't made the exact same game over and over and over and over again, they would have captured a bigger audience and wouldn't be in this situation.

They made other games, just recently they made a blacksmith romance game or something.
Nobody buys them though, that's why they're in the situation they're in.

TomShoe

Banned
Again, it's a shame. Making it a PS4 only game was a poor business decision. Here's hoping they make enough to stay afloat.

Toad.T

Banned
And gone without a Prinny 3, Disgaea D2Vita, Disgaea 2 3DS or Makai wars.

Would anyone want the company? Only few publishers that I can see blending well with Disgaea aren't doing too well themselves.

grumble

True! Plus the creepy fanservice they're known for pretty much guarantees they'll never be that big in the west.

NISA makes some shitty translations, but i would be sad to see disgaea go.

i'm sure aksys or someone else would pick up danganronpa anyways.

Yeah, DR is popular enough now that someone else would pick it up if NISA disappeared. Idea Factory seems to be gradually moving Neptunia localization to something they do themselves. There aren't many other major non-NIS games that NISA does aside from those these days.

rhandino

Banned
On what? There are less JRPG's on Wii U, & most JPRG's sure as hell won't sell on Xbox One.
PC maybe... the Disgaea series could find a niche in the PC me thinks.

Also, I remember that they released a port of Disgaea 1 on the Nintendo DS, did that not sell well? If so that could explain why they didn't try to release other entries in the DS or 3DS...

Altima

Don't forget about this awesome gem guys:

prinnygameboxs7ums.jpg

Was totally rad, and not an SRPG! Sold like two copies! :(

I still have my copy...

This is one of the best platformer I have ever play. I played both Prinny 1-2.

It seriously ruined my thumb and my psp square botton but it is so much fun !!

seems like Idea Factory International is going to be handling that series in the west now.

What's weird is that IFI did re;birth 1 while NISA did Producing Perfection. Did NISA just already have the rights to PP before IFI decided to do everything on their own or did IFI just pass on PP (or NISA on RB1?)

Biker19

Banned
PC pretty much thrives on niche RPGs and strategy games, granted they're western RPGs (Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Mount & Blade, Legend of Grimrock etc), but there's a growing interest in Japanese stuff there, especially looking at successes like Valkyrie Chronicles.

I'm going to say that Steam will be a way more valuable platform for Japanese developers this generation than Xbox is.

PC is actually looking like a massively untapped market for JRPGs, certainly it's a market where strategy games do better so it's hardly unreasonable to think it might be a good idea to get those put there, doubly so if they can put in good mouse controls that might actually make it the superior option even with graphics disregarded.

Xbox though... yeah, it'd get some extra sales but it likely doesn't justify the cost, whether it can't even justify manufacture or is a poor opportunity cost.

Oh OK, I see what you two are saying about PC being popular with Japanese titles, & I could definitely see games like Disgaea being popular on there as well as on Playstation platforms, especially as no one exactly owns PC at all.

Making it multiplatform with Xbox One however, sounds suicidal, as it wouldn't be worth the cost of porting it onto that platform, especially as Xbox platforms have a track record of not doing big sales on most Japanese games. If the Xbox One version underperforms badly, then both the PS4 &/or PC versions would most likely have to make up for the underwhelming X1 version of sales by selling a ton of copies than ever before just for Nippon Ichi to turn a profit.

Fair enough. It's pretty much well known that strategy games, RPGs, and SRPGs are pretty unknown genres to PC.

Forgive me, as I didn't know anything about that.

Anyone that wasn't planning to pick the game up before this thread now reconsidering?

I gotta say I'm tempted if only to support these guys. I have very little interest in the game otherwise

I was likely going to anyway, but now I'll get it even if I don't have a PS4 when it releases.

Amir0x

Banned
This is one of the best platformer I have ever play. I played both Prinny 1-2.

It seriously ruined my thumb and my psp square botton but it is so much fun !!

yes, it is the destroyer of PSP face buttons and ruiner of thumbs, but it is sooo good as you say :D

OmegaDL50

These are pretty terrible and fucked up circumstances.

Regardless, I'm still buying D5 on day one.

There will STILL be copies of Bloodborne on store shelves after it's release due to the Souls series more mainstream popularity.

Disgaea 5 however could very well be one those Suikoden II cases all over again with a limited print run driving up the games price to crazy levels if NIS closes it's doors and a reprint becomes impossible. Konami didn't go under in this regard, but they never made a second print after the initial batch of Suikoden II.

I must buy D5 to enjoy it and the hopes of preserving the legacy of this series. I am just one sale unfortunately.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
that costs money they probably don't have! :(
They also messed up each and every game they brought to the Wii and DS and failed to build an audience there. Wii would do them no help these days but if they had gotten on board with the DS and 3DS they might be doing better.

Also I don't believe for a second that the Vita or PS Three can't handle D5 considering it took them most of the PS3 era to make a game with graphics better than a Dreamcast game. It's more likely that they are just out of resources and bet on the system more likely to produce a home run.

RPGam3r

I can't actually recall a single RPG made by NIS that I liked despite owning many of them. It would suck to lose their publication/localization to the west, but just like Working Designs before them Im sure those shoes will be filled.

Damn, though, it's really sad to hear this, especially just as I'm doing the postgame "recruit characters from earlier NIS games" thing in Disgaea 4 and nostalgia tripping a bit.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
PC pretty much thrives on niche RPGs and strategy games, granted they're western RPGs (Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Mount & Blade, Legend of Grimrock etc), but there's a growing interest in Japanese stuff there, especially looking at successes like Valkyrie Chronicles.

I'm going to say that Steam will be a way more valuable platform for Japanese developers this generation than Xbox is.

Yup, I'd love to have the Disgaea series on PC. No more slowdowns...

Recettear comes to mind as a good example of how people underestimate the potential market there.

Wow what a buzz kill thing to say for the situation even if it's true.

"We're celebrating 20 years of Playstation this year! Anything you'd like to say?"

"Buy our game or we'll go out of business. :("

Hate they are in such a situation buy could have stated this at some other time or something lol.

As much as I love Disgaea, Bloodborne has way higher priority for me and there's good chance I won't be able to buy both. :/

Top Bottom