• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

Japanese Disgaea LTD sell-through:

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (2011-02-24) - 129,031

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (2008-01-31) - 93,227

Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (2013-03-20) - 75,734

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - Fuka & Desco Hen Hajimemashita (2011-10-27) - 41,686

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice [PlayStation 3 the Best] (2009-01-15) - 17,545

Disgaea 3: Append Disc - Raspberyl-hen Hajime Mashita (2009-09-17) - 17,432

The 150K projection was probably referring to the domestic market (although I may very well be wrong on this).

If that's the case, NIS is expecting record sales for Disgaea, barring any re-releases.

SparkTR

LOL, good luck with that. Niche JRPG's like Disgaea doesn't sell on Xbox consoles, let alone on PC. Not to mention that Nippon Ichi would have to sell even more copies of the game than ever before due to it being multiplatform.

Best bet would be PS3/PS4.

PC pretty much thrives on niche RPGs and strategy games, granted they're western RPGs (Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Mount & Blade, Legend of Grimrock etc), but there's a growing interest in Japanese stuff there, especially looking at successes like Valkyrie Chronicles.

I'm going to say that Steam will be a way more valuable platform for Japanese developers this generation than Xbox is.

Eusis

LOL, good luck with that. Niche JRPG's like Disgaea doesn't sell on Xbox consoles, let alone on PC. Not to mention that Nippon Ichi would have to sell even more copies of the game than ever before due to it being multiplatform.

PC is actually looking like a massively untapped market for JRPGs, certainly it's a market where strategy games do better so it's hardly unreasonable to think it might be a good idea to get those put there, doubly so if they can put in good mouse controls that might actually make it the superior option even with graphics disregarded.

Xbox though... yeah, it'd get some extra sales but it likely doesn't justify the cost, whether it can't even justify manufacture or is a poor opportunity cost.

Foffy

Banned
Kinda surprised they didn't jump all over mobile like everyone else. At least they had a stable of games that made a lot of sense to play on an iPad and they love re-releasing shit.

The people who left the company did. Even had the balls to try and kickstarter a F2P mobile game.

Suffice to say, that went nowhere fast. These guys are absolutely doomed.

Bebpo

Banned
Been on a downward spiral for a while sadly. Had to give up creativity because everything was bombing except Disgaea -> keep pumping out Disgaea to stay alive -> people get bored of all the Disgaea and it sells fewer copies -> a few cycles later -> company is bankrupt.

Goes to show that if you can't keep making fresh new hits every few years and rely entirely on a single franchise, you have no future in the game industry. N1 used to be a really creative company, continually changing up the SRPG map with radius-base in Phantom Brave, grids in Soul Cradle, hardcore platformers in Prinny. Shame nothing sold the amount they needed.

I bought every N1 game from the company start to Disgaea D2. Skipping D5 because I never even touched D2 and just bought it out of fan commitment. Was really tired of Disgaea by D4 already.

BasilZero

Wow I hope they succeed :(

If not...I just hope those workers and the IPs that they own get transferred over to a company who actually wants them.

zeromcd73

The 150K projection was probably referring to the domestic market (although I may very well be wrong on this).

If that's the case, NIS is expecting record sales for Disgaea, barring any re-releases.
They unfortunately don't state if it is worldwide or Japan. They just said the target is 150k -.-

That would be really fuckin sad. Even if Danganronpa is safe (which is their most valuable property for me even if that's just NISA) N1 have some real talent on their side and some really neat output. It would effect me more than Hudson going under :(

Laconic

Banned
Alright, let's put it this way:

PS4 has yet to have a single title that has sold 150k copies in Japan at retail.

That is because there have been a whole of factors conspiring against PS4 sales, in Japan.

Not the least of which is forced pay PS+ for online gaming.

Handheld might own the mindshare of Japan, but Sony is appying their own chokehold on their profits, too.

Nairume

Banned
Kinda surprised they didn't jump all over mobile like everyone else. At least they had a stable of games that made a lot of sense to play on an iPad and they love re-releasing shit.
They did a freemium version of Disgaea 1 for android.

Seems like it almost immediately fell off the map.

SerTapTap

yes, one who knew about my love for Disgaea for a loooong time :(

one of my very earliest debates on GAF was describing why Disgaea was better than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Come at me bros
I can't play that FFT or almost any other SRPG anymore due to Disgaea. I got Etna on my keyring too

TomShoe

Banned
planet-38.jpg

Dammit...I guess this is the end for NIS. I just hope Disgaea lives on.

diaspora

They do make some good JRPG's, though they made a bad choice by putting it on the same date as Bloodborne.

Fair enough. It's pretty much well known that strategy games, RPGs, and SRPGs are pretty unknown genres to PC.

Guymelef

I love how for some people Steam is always the solution, how much would sell the game on PC in Japan?.
Also there is not a magic button for instant port PS4-PC.

Hasn't Disgaea kind of ran it's course?

D2 was more of an incremental upgrade than previous entries in the series, iirc, but Disgaea is one of the few franchises that doesn't just pump out the same thing year after year and the refinements they've been making have made it more accessible and crazier than ever.

GAF, we should start a Kickstarter to buy NIS.

Um, change the release date?

I hope Sony offers the game through PlayStation Plus at some point just so NIS gets the cash needed to survive. I'm sure giving it away in Japan will build brand awareness there.

Halabane

Maybe they will get bought.

Problem is for a guy like me who likes these types of games, I now prefer them on hand helds. Don't like being tied to a tv for 100 hrs. They really should have thought a bit harder on what they were doing in getting locked on the ps4. Someone must have the tea leaves wrong.

Eusis

Been on a downward spiral for a while sadly. Had to give up creativity because everything was bombing except Disgaea -> keep pumping out Disgaea to stay alive -> people get bored of all the Disgaea and it sells fewer copies -> a few cycles later -> company is bankrupt.
This kind of makes me wonder about the fate of the international divisions really. It seems they have greater breadth of content and can more reliably sell stuff.

Then again they mainly had another stable lifeline via Gust stuff, and they basically lost that once TK bought them. Which actually raises some questions on if we'd even miss out much if NIS proper collapsed. Doubly so if the likes of Dangan Ronpa got brought over by others like XSEED, Aksys, or even Atlus.

Alright, let's put it this way:

PS4 has yet to have a single title that has sold 150k copies in Japan at retail.

Except for Knack which was bundled with the system (399,376 LTD) and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (136,507 LTD) when you add in digital sales (25,103 LTD).

Anyone that wasn't planning to pick the game up before this thread now reconsidering?

I gotta say I'm tempted if only to support these guys. I have very little interest in the game otherwise

Producer

NISA makes some shitty translations, but it would be sad to see disgaea go.

i'm sure aksys or someone else would pick up danganronpa for the west anyways.

Foffy

Banned
No doubt Sega is circling like a vulture.

For the types of sales Nippon Ichi gets, I actually have a hard time thinking any major companies give a shit about their IPs. At least there's weight in Atlus and Shin Megami Tensei.

yes, one who knew about my love for Disgaea for a loooong time :(

one of my very earliest debates on GAF was describing why Disgaea was better than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Come at me bros

I'm not a fan of SRPGs, and Disgaea is fucking awesome. So yeah, you're right.

I really hope someone buys them, I don't care who, just don't let them die...

If we're already talking about who to buy NIS, I hope Koei-Tecmo buys them.

This will also finally give Koei-Tecmo a NA branch!

arevin01

Disgaea was great. Disgaea 2 was more of the same. Then every Disgaea after that didnt really evolve enough to warrant a new purchase each time.

Top Bottom