• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

It was stated earlier this year that the company is targeting 150k copies of Disgaea 5. May God help their poor souls.

If NIS want to match Disgaea 4 sales on PS3 they'll have to sell around 80,000 in the first week.
For their sake I hope they can make it.

How much did Disgaea 4 sell in the U.S.?

If NIS goes down, would NISA go down with it? Because that would be doubly awful

23K opening month...

:-(

Why are people being so nonchalant about this?

Please don't let Disgaea die, it's my all-time favorite JRPG. I'd be crushed if NIS went belly-up.

What else can I do? I'm not the one that mismanaged their finances, that's their problem. When they release a game that I want, I buy it. Did that with Disgaea 4 on the Vita and plan to do it with Disgaea 3 Vita later on.

Hero

Writing was kind of on the wall for this one. They entrenched themselves firmly in the Playstation camp instead of spreading out and now it's come to this. Outlook not good.

mdubs

Banned
If NISA is gone.. No more Danganronpa in the west. No more Disgaea. No more anything niche and unique!!

Posted in other thread but: Nah there's gotta be pretty much a 100% chance DanganRonpa would get picked up by Atlus or Aksys considering the relationships they have with Spike Chunsoft as well as the quality and popularity of the IP. I'd say Danganronpa is pretty safe, but their other localizations would be in a pretty precarious spot. Hopefully they are able to pull through

Beartruck

Even though I like niche games, I've never really liked their output. Still, a lot of people do seem to, so here's hoping they survive.

jholmes

I know that they are a niche publisher, but shouldn't they be trying to release on more than just Playstation platforms to spread the risk.

I'd agree with this in theory, but if they're on the edge now, they can't really devote more resources to it. Besides, the only experience they have on other hardware is with Vita and PS3. They can't exactly go and hire new brand new people to develop ports.

Still no release date for the U.S. release of D5? If it's too far down the line then I might consider buying the digital version of the JP release. Gotta do my part!

Mikey Jr.

Ohh for fuck sakes.

I like Disgaea, but the formula has been stale for the past few games. It doesn't change. They add stuff here and there, but by and large, Disgaea 1 and D2 are the same games.

I know nothing about Disgaea 5, and I can already tell you 90% of how the game plays and what it looks like, and I'll describe nearly all of the Disgaea games.

AESplusF

Someone said "despair"

tumblr_inline_n0gq435sp01qgdj69.gif

I saw this coming.
Maybe Kadokawa will buy them...

catbrush

If NIS wants to make it out of this in one piece they need to learn from the big boys and gate off some content as preorder DLC!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a company that forecasts 150k for D5 on the PS4 is facing financial difficulties. I don't even know if D4 got that. Maybe lifetime.

Eusis

Well, I'm sure the series is a reliable, predictable seller that'd do just fi-
Even though Bloodborne is now releasing the same day, we really hope people will pick up both titles at once.
-... well, uhh, best of luck to you guys!

Biker19

Banned
They do make some good JRPG's, though they made a bad choice by putting it on the same date as Bloodborne.

this should go multiplatform PC/X1/PS4

Writing was kind of on the wall for this one. They entrenched themselves firmly in the Playstation camp instead of spreading out and now it's come to this. Outlook not good.

LOL, good luck with that. Niche JRPG's like Disgaea doesn't sell on Xbox consoles, let alone on PC. Not to mention that Nippon Ichi would have to sell even more copies of the game than ever before due to it being multiplatform.

Best bet would be PS3/PS4.

bomblord1

Banned
yes, one who knew about my love for Disgaea for a loooong time :(

one of my very earliest debates on GAF was describing why Disgaea was better than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Come at me bros

I loved what I have played of Disgaea but I've never played FFT so I'm inclined to agree with you.

Somnid

Kinda surprised they didn't jump all over mobile like everyone else. At least they had a stable of games that made a lot of sense to play on an iPad and they love re-releasing shit.

jiggle

Skittles

Why in the world is this not on PS3?
Probably can't run a decent frame-rate honestly. Didn't D4 lag sometimes on PS3(even more on vita)? The way D5 is sounding it's looking to have even more sprites on screen. That means an even heavier load on the system. It surprised me to find out how much sprites can tax a system, just cause they run way different than 3-D games.
Not trying to sound like port begging, but why don't they try getting some of their older titles on the pc. Surely they would benefit from some additional income security.

http://www.destructoid.com/nippon-ichi-has-serious-plans-for-steam-releases-212313.phtml

A shame it didn't go further than 2 titles.
They still have to have the money to port those games, sounds like they're using the last of the budget on this game.

Curious_George

Neo Member
They should put the games on PC as well instead of relying on just 1 platform.

One thing Steam/PC library kind of lacks is good SRPGs (Japanese style ones at least). I bet if they released some PC versions of the Disgaea games they'd bring in some sales for sure.

flohen95

Betting it all on one horse? And for a single platform, too? One where we don't even know if it's sustainable in the Japanese market?

Ugh.

Tbh, the much bigger loss for me, personally, would be NISA, as they're one of the few publisher of Japanese niche games that give a damn about Europe (even though they got plenty of hiccups there, too). Hell, like, half of my Vita library is published by NISA in Europe. Losing them would be one of the greatest injustices in modern European gaming history.
But that's not to say that I wouldn't mourn for NIS as a developer, too. I hope they pull through, even though, if the situation is indeed as bleak as it's made out to be, I don't see it happening.

Posted in other thread but: Nah there's gotta be pretty much a 100% chance DanganRonpa would get picked up by Atlus or Aksys considering the relationships they have with Spike Chunsoft as well as the quality and popularity of the IP. I'd say Danganronpa is pretty safe, but their other localizations would be in a pretty precarious spot. Hopefully they are able to pull through
Breathed a sigh of relief. Sorry NIS:(.

Altima

Back in 2008, Disgaea 3 sold only 50,000 copy in the first week in Japan but install base was 1.8 million back then.

Now there are only 0.8 million of PS4 in Japan.........

Top Bottom