• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

drh1691

Neo Member
I just want to get to the center of the universe without my jump drive breaking every damn time.

Thats it. :( I liked the game, but after that happened a few times, I just couldn't find the fun in that.

Yeah, about that.

If you have a freighter and can store multiple ships there is an easy way around that.

Buy the cheapest crappiest ship that can take off from your freighter. Do NOT upgrade anything. Only crafted ship components can break going through a black hole. A basic ship will never have anything break ever.

I've jumped at least 400 times without ever having anything break.

Nameless

I love NMS but the idea of an expanded story does nothing for me. That's not what I'm there for. I've ignored the Atlas Path completely.

Hedrush

IIRC the previous two big updates were released the day after the announcement, so it's possible.

Cheers, I'm not home for a good few hours yet so hopefully I'll have something new to go home to and a nice relaxing evening of checking out all the new features.

mokeyjoe

I love NMS but the idea of an expanded story does nothing for me. That's not what I'm there for. I've ignored the Atlas Path completely.

I'm not into story per se, but a big upgrade to the ambient lore would definitely be welcome. It was a surprisingly cool part of the game.

However, when they say expanded story, I presume they mean it in gameplay specific terms, that is quests or 'purpose' to the exploration. Which, while not of interest to everyone, is something a certain segment of the userbase has wanted for a while.

JoeBoy101

Depends on what exactly that means. If it means some added narrative and such, meh. If it means livelier NPCs and, god forbid, populated outposts and actually settlements, count me on board.

OuterLimits

Thats how it was supposed to be and talked about during interviews. Back when a solar system was an actual solar system with the sun in the middle and planets orbiting it. A planet close to the sun would be more desert like with less life, whereas one further away had a higher chance of being frozen etc.

Sucks that they went with the dumbed down system we have now.

They also talked about how planets would get more challenging and crazier looking as you got closer to the center. Of course that never happened, which is unfortunate. Would have made going to the center actually worthwhile. Perhaps the additional story elements will help in this regard though. Many things they talked about were not in the game at release.(and some still aren't)

The updates have improved it significantly though. Especially having less building density on planets. Oh and using nanites to buy blueprints now instead of finding them every two steps. Having to improve your standing with the different alien races to buy the higher level upgraded blueprints was a great addition as well.

It does take much longer to progress in the game since the update. Particularly on survival difficulty,(which uses 100% plutonium every lift off unless at landing pad/beacon) but even normal is a grind. Getting money and finding nanites/resources is much harder. Ships are expensive and freighters enormously pricey. I like the fact the progression is much slower. At release you could find most blueprints in the first couple systems. Some won't like the slow grind the game is now though

Well, it will probably be more about the overall lore which is shaping to be really intriguing when you take the Waking Titan ARG into consideration.

I am also thinking (but for the love of god don't quote me) it will bring changes to the main goal of the game. What we have now is a sentient AI (Emily) that is, by all accounts and secret memos, responsible for the creation of the NMS universe. The whole galaxy is basically her "dream". It is unclear whether she is ultimately benevolent or not so we don't know how she will come into play.

Depending on what happens, however, the old Atlas Path may become obsolete.

I didn't make this, but I think it's important to point out (the previous memos in particular):
OCmzhay.jpg

With this announcement and the sale price on PSN, I finally decided to jump in. I've been wanting to play it since it was released, but I couldn't really justify full price after reading the initial reviews. Looking forward to finally trying it out.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Definitely excited about the procedural tech improvements. Sean's GDC talk mentioned a lot of optimizations and new cloud rendering tech, not to mention the potential hints (a more perfect simulation) provided in the ARG.

And I have no idea if Beau Lamb's recent rendering of monoliths near waterfalls means anything or not but set pieces like that would go a long way.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if that means it'll be on a weekend Steam sale if it's likely to be released on a Sunday.

Fuck it, i'll probably buy it on Humble Bundle anyway, already used the rest of my Steam credit on Rez.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think the thing with No Man's Sky is you have to keep expectations in check. I remember before launch somebody on GAF saying they would never buy another game ever again, as No Man's Sky would be the only game they ever needed.

Based on no information. It was never designed to be that game. It's a tiny indie studio game.

It's a space mining game. Sean himself describes the game as "weird" and "niche".

I actually really like it, it's great to dip in and out of.

It's such a great game to pop in and relax with. I used to play it every night after work to unwind from a long day. I also streamed a bunch on YouTube, and will probably start that series up again when the new patch drops.

Sean has never pretended this game was more than his quirky, niche passion project that he has to make for himself, and people like him. I love the game. It's serene and fascinating to me. There's plenty of narrative driven, fetch quest having, tower climbing, wannabe movie games out there (and I say this as someone who loves those types of games too), and NMS is a nice change of pace. Something different.

Maybe one day a developer will attempt something that's more of a middle ground between Elite and No Man's Sky, but these games are made by human beings. Content takes man hours, and people expecting a 14 studio team to populate a game with trillions of planets with unique and varied content, while also delivering a strong narrative we're deluding themselves. I commend HG for expanding on Sean Murray's ambitions for the game, but at its core, it's still going to be a game about traveling from Star to Star and looking at cool vistas and weird creatures.

My hopes are that they continue to improve the proc gen and variation, and diverse biomes for a singular planet. I still get excited when I enter a new system, because I'm still being surprised by what I find. Continue to improve on that, while also adding quality of life improvements, and I'll be a happy camper.

I have Mass Effect and Witcher and Horizon if I want a more story driven RPG. NMS isn't an RPG. I'm not shitting on the lore of NMS, which I think is cool and interesting, but I'm not losing sleep over not having a billion story quests to undertake.

Yeah, about that.

If you have a freighter and can store multiple ships there is an easy way around that.

Buy the cheapest crappiest ship that can take off from your freighter. Do NOT upgrade anything. Only crafted ship components can break going through a black hole. A basic ship will never have anything break ever.

I've jumped at least 400 times without ever having anything break.

But don't you have to upgrade your jump drive to get to different types of systems? I haven't played this in a year so I don't remember exactly.

Slim to none I think. Maybe the accompanying video, but I'd be surprised if the update itself releases today. The first two updates both dropped on a Sunday.
1.2 came out on a Wednesday.

I agree that the odds are slim to none though, based on the fact that they posted a new article on the website today and it's just the same thing said in the email. Wouldn't make sense to do that if they were just going to post the patch notes later on today.

My guess is everything on Friday.

so did space battles get added yet? or are we still waiting on the kinds of battles we saw in the trailers last year?
Not sure what you mean, since space battles have been in for a while.

Oppo

Definitely excited about the procedural tech improvements. Sean's GDC talk mentioned a lot of optimizations and new cloud rendering tech, not to mention the potential hints (a more perfect simulation) provided in the ARG.

And I have no idea if Beau Lamb's recent rendering of monoliths near waterfalls means anything or not but set pieces like that would go a long way.

this is my hope.

the clouds and water look pretty bad as is.

also i'd like it if storms didn't magically vanish when you take off in the ship.

UCBooties

It's like I said way back during the shitstorm; they were absolutely right to go radio silent because there was absolutely no way the community was going to let them live it down, no matter how hard they worked to fix things or what messaging they used to explain things.

The shitposting in every damn NMS thread is proof that the community is inherently toxic, and nobody deserves the kind of harassment and lambasting they received. There was no way to "make things better", and no way that any kind of apology or explanation would be good enough.

I'm glad they said sweet fuck all, and glad that it caused the nutbars to whip themselves up into a frenzy as a result.

They're working hard to prove themselves now, and that's the best sort of vindication. They skipped the talk and proceeded to just do what needed to be done to achieve their vision. I'm glad this update sounds like it will bring them another step closer to that.

All of this is coming from someone who dropped the game after the initial "honeymoon" phase and hasn't had the time to go back since. But I've booted it up briefly just to see what they did with Pro support and was very impressed.

People who want to continue to hold a grudge over this in the face of a product that continues to receive support are kind of pathetic.

I applaud the devs for continuing to support the game when a lot of other companies would have just dropped it and moved on, but there's no excuse for the fact that they still have pre-release trailers and screenshots on their website which showcase stuff that's not in the game.

so did space battles get added yet? or are we still waiting on the kinds of battles we saw in the trailers last year?

If you are talking about the space battles between factions (as in Freighters shooting at eachother) then no, that is not implemented at this time.

However, what HAS changed since launch is the amount of Freighters that warp in (like, by a sizeable amount). The frequency of their battles against pirates has been increased as well.

If you like the idea of a pirate playstyle by attacking the fleets yourself (which I haven't really done myself) you are also facing a much more uphill battle simply because you are vastly outnumbered (which is, again, made easier if you join the pirate side in an attack scenario). You probably won't be able to take out most of them if it's a bigger number of ships as sentinels will join the defending side pretty early on and mess you up hard. If you manage to get to wanted level 5, you are in some damn fine trouble on two fronts.

Cels

Curious what promises you think they made and broke? Especially features that changes he gameplay in any major way

- multiplayer (never promised , in fact they said 99.9 percent would never see another player)

it's one thing to say seeing other players is "incredibly rare" when it is actually impossible, i.e., 100% of players would never see another player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

Stephen Colbert: "Do we ever get to see ourselves?"
Sean Murray: "No, you don't see yourself, so the only way for you to know what you look like is for somebody else to, you know, see you."
Stephen Colbert: ”Can you run into other people, other players on the game?"
Sean Murray: ”Yes, but the chances of that are incredibly rare just because the size of what we're building."

why not say "you will not be able to see another player in the game in real time. you will be able to see traces of other players, like planets and creatures that other players have discovered and named." or something like that. that is an unambiguous and clear statement that is a hell of a lot more truthful than what Murray actually did say in the pre-release interviews. he built up hype for multiplayer with his marketing tour, so people wanting and expecting multiplayer is not unreasonable.

Good God why is this being rehashed..came in looking for info about the update and its just people bitching about stuff that's been discussed to an agonizing degree...get the fuck over it. It is what it is..let it go. If the update makes the game better, I'm buying it today.

TitanNut88

I was hyped by the game when it came out, played for a bit, didn't quite like and left it, but now I am a little bit hyped again. I have reinstalled the game and I will give it a try again when the update is live.

Good God why is this being rehashed..came in looking for info about the update and its just people bitching about stuff that's been discussed to an agonizing degree...get the fuck over it. It is what it is..let it go. If the update makes the game better, I'm buying it today.

Whatever happened to that person who would come into the OT just to tell people Sean would never update the game and that he ran with all our money?

belvedere

Junior Butler

Imagine this behavior in a Zelda thread. I'll never fathom why it's permitted repeatedly, in every single NMS thread.

Tumle

I think with portals they open up the possibility of multiplayer, if you can enter in your own coordinates.. not that I ever wanted multiplayer in this game..
But maybe the fourth race is the players.. :)

Whatever happened to that person who would come into the OT just to tell people Sean would never update the game and that he ran with all our money?

He choked on all the crow he had to eat.

1.2 came out on a Wednesday.

I agree that the odds are slim to none though, based on the fact that they posted a new article on the website today and it's just the same thing said in the email. Wouldn't make sense to do that if they were just going to post the patch notes later on today.

My guess is everything on Friday.

Yep, you're right. Must have downloaded it on a Sunday then:)

drh1691

Neo Member
But don't you have to upgrade your jump drive to get to different types of systems? I haven't played this in a year so I don't remember exactly.

I have four small ships. One is my standard everyday ship for basic gameplay, one is a long range warp jump machine, one is crap that I use to go to crashed ships and maybe switch it out for a better one.

My last one is the black hole taxi that is used for going through black holes only. This is not upgraded at all. I never use the black hole taxi for anything else so it doesn't need any upgrades.

I jump to the black hole system with my warp jump machine, park it in the freighter and then use the taxi to go through the black hole. Once through I park it, get out my warp jump machine and repeat. If I ever want to just chill and explore planets I grab my standard ship.

If you have a freighter and two small ships you are good. Just have one that is upgraded how you like it and then get a stripped down black hole taxi.

I have four small ships. One is my standard everyday ship for basic gameplay, one is a long range warp jump machine, one is crap that I use to go to crashed ships and maybe switch it out for a better one.

My last one is the black hole taxi that is used for going through black holes only. This is not upgraded at all. I never use the black hole taxi for anything else so it doesn't need any upgrades.

I jump to the black hole system with my warp jump machine, park it in the freighter and then use the taxi to go through the black hole. Once through I park it, get out my warp jump machine and repeat. If I ever want to just chill and explore planets I grab my standard ship.

If you have a freighter and two small ships you are good. Just have one that is upgraded how you like it and then get a stripped down black hole taxi.

A black hole taxi is a great idea. I think I am going to do that. Haven't played in a while but just finished up a big part of my backlog so I will be jumping in this weekend.

drh1691

Neo Member
A black hole taxi is a great idea. I think I am going to do that. Haven't played in a while but just finished up a big part of my backlog so I will be jumping in this weekend.

Once you have a taxi craft as many warp cells as you can carry in your regular warp ship.

You would be surprised at how far you can get in an hour if you keep the hyperdrive well fed.

I think launching in your taxi from your freighter uses no fuel, so you don't ever have to recharge your launch thrusters either.

Such a good idea! Wait. How do I get a second ship?

Top Bottom