• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

BizzyBum

I booted it up last night after not playing since last September (I clocked in like 120 hours the first month it came out) and tried Survival. It definitely looked way nicer than I remember it being. Lovely that my ship was 10 minutes away in Survival mode, too. It was actually pretty tense. I was 20 seconds away from making it to my ship but the cold killed me.

I'll probably stick to my regular save file. I spent so much time and have way too much stuff on that file to want to start over. All I really want is a proper VR mode for this.

drh1691

Neo Member
Such a good idea! Wait. How do I get a second ship?

You need to get a freighter first. You can get one of these by helping fight off pirates. Once the pirates are gone you will be invited to land on the freighter. Once there go to the bridge and talk to the captain. You can either get a reward or offer to buy the freighter.

Ships will land in your freighter fairly often. You can either trade in your current ship for One that is parked, or just buy another one outright. Buy the cheapest, crappiest thing that can fly, But KEEP your normal ship. Then switch off ships when you need to. Whichever ship you are not using at the moment stays parked in your freighter.

You can call your freighter to whatever system you are in.

So to summarize

1. Regular ship
2. Warp to furthest black hole you can reach
3. Switch to black hole taxi
4. Go through black hole
5. Call freighter to new system
6. Get back in your regular ship
7. Go back to step 2 and repeat steps 2-7as many times as you need.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You need to get a freighter first. You can get one of these by helping fight off pirates. Once the pirates are gone you will be invited to land on the freighter. Once there go to the bridge and talk to the captain. You can either get a reward or offer to buy the freighter.

Ships will land in your freighter fairly often. You can either trade in your current ship for One that is parked, or just buy another one outright. Buy the cheapest, crappiest thing that can fly, But KEEP your normal ship. Then switch off ships when you need to. Whichever ship you are not using at the moment stays parked in your freighter.

So to summarize

1. Regular ship
4. Go through black hole

Whats the reason for doing this and using a crappy ship for black holes ? Just asking as I have no idea :)

BSpot

So I haven't played this game since maybe a month after it launched. It was ok, but ultimately wasn't what I was led to believe. Anyhoo, that's neither here nor there.

I am uncertain if the patch(es) will make the game better for me. But I'd like to be optimistic. That said, I am probably LOST AS FUCK in general with both how the game worked and how it now works after the patches.

The best thing I can think to do is completely start over. That way I can be brought up to speed in a natural manner, and experience what the game has become.

Is there any feasible way free content updates can save this game? Or is the games foundation beyond fixing.

The potential is definitely there to make this game terrific for a much larger audience. The planet generation is best in class, the main problem is that there really isn't much to do that's contextualized in a way that makes sense and feels rewarding.

If these updates can give a sense of purpose to the endless game play then this game could easily tick over from niche sci-fi cover exploration game into something special and engaging imo.

So I haven't played this game since maybe a month after it launched. It was ok, but ultimately wasn't what I was led to believe. Anyhoo, that's neither here nor there.

I am uncertain if the patch(es) will make the game better for me. But I'd like to be optimistic. That said, I am probably LOST AS FUCK in general with both how the game worked and how it now works after the patches.

The best thing I can think to do is completely start over. That way I can be brought up to speed in a natural manner, and experience what the game has become.

Definitely do! They revamped the entire start of the game, it's a much better experience to start over from the beginning imo.

I booted it up last night after not playing since last September (I clocked in like 120 hours the first month it came out) and tried Survival. It definitely looked way nicer than I remember it being. Lovely that my ship was 10 minutes away in Survival mode, too. It was actually pretty tense. I was 20 seconds away from making it to my ship but the cold killed me.

I'll probably stick to my regular save file. I spent so much time and have way too much stuff on that file to want to start over.

I just checked, at about 117 hours played over the year here and there, and I'm thinking the same thing. I've just invested too much time in my normal save, but also there are a bunch of annoyances in that game that I just can't bring myself to go through again, especially in a harder mode, making all of those annoyances even worse.

MattAces

Is there any feasible way free content updates can save this game? Or is the games foundation beyond fixing.

Look at the two past major updates and wait for the new ones to judge it by yourself.
Whether this is a low effort statement, what's the point of it, honestly speaking. People who plays the game are happy about it, fixing the game or not, the point is many people are enjoying it and Hello Games is consistently delivering quality updates.

UCBooties

It's probably never going to be exactly what they were showing prerelease, but they've added a lot of content and tinkered with underlying systems to make the game more varied. If you want to explore and craft some stuff and have some fights in an infinite universe then this is already a pretty fun game. If you're into survival games then the survival mode might be for you.

If you want something with a lot of structure or interlocking systems or are looking for a more robust and realistic simulation, this isn't that, and I don't know if it's ever going to be that.

Since that depends on subjective opnions on what one thinks about the game now and what one could expect from the updates, it's difficult - if not impossible - for someone else to answer that for you.

That you ask about it in such a way, it makes you look like you dislike the state of the game now to such extent, that no amount of updates will "fix" it for you.

belvedere

Junior Butler
After putting in hundreds of hours in the game (many of which were after Pathfinder) I recently started a permadeath mode.

My first go was frustrating, the planet was super hot and my ship was 15 minutes away. I died on that attempt but had much better luck on my second try. I got into a groove and now have a base setup near a portal and just started a mordite farm.

For those on the fence or who need a bit more meaning or risk added to the game (normal mode is too easy but works well for pure exploration) I highly recommend starting a survival or permadeath save.

SnowDrops

Cool. Thanks. I already have a freighter, I just didn't know I could buy more ships while still keeping my current one that's all maxed out.

Any tips on making money?

Only thing you have to remember is, you can only buy a second (third, etc.) ship if you are in your freighters hangar, won't work on a space-station or tradingpost.

On your freighter you'll have the option to buy the ship without trading yours in when talking to the ships captain

drh1691

Neo Member
Whats the reason for doing this and using a crappy ship for black holes ? Just asking as I have no idea :)

Going through black holes breaks one component of your ship every time. Sometimes it can take quite a while to gather the stuff to repair it, especially if it is a THETA or TAU upgrade. It can be a real pain in the butt.

I've jumped over 400 times through Black holes with my crappy unupgraded ship and I have never had any component break. It is the quickest way to travel as far as I can tell.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Cool. Thanks. I already have a freighter, I just didn't know I could buy more ships while still keeping my current one that's all maxed out.

Any tips on making money?

Depends on who you ask but farming = fast money if you have a lot of plants.

I've stuck with mordite farming. It's the fastest growing plant but you have to craft what you harvest into lubricant which can be a bit tedious. Lots of people have Nip Nip farms but those require more effort up front to setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtROatzVeZY

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Going through black holes breaks one component of your ship every time. Sometimes it can take quite a while to gather the stuff to repair it, especially if it is a THETA or TAU upgrade. It can be a real pain in the butt.

I've jumped over 400 times through Black holes with my crappy unupgraded ship and I have never had any component break. It is the quickest way to travel as far as I can tell.

Ah thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense, i'll definitely keep that in mind for when I eventually get the game/start playing.

RedSwirl

They also talked about how planets would get more challenging and crazier looking as you got closer to the center. Of course that never happened, which is unfortunate. Would have made going to the center actually worthwhile. Perhaps the additional story elements will help in this regard though. Many things they talked about were not in the game at release.(and some still aren't)

The updates have improved it significantly though. Especially having less building density on planets. Oh and using nanites to buy blueprints now instead of finding them every two steps. Having to improve your standing with the different alien races to buy the higher level upgraded blueprints was a great addition as well.

It does take much longer to progress in the game since the update. Particularly on survival difficulty,(which uses 100% plutonium every lift off unless at landing pad/beacon) but even normal is a grind. Getting money and finding nanites/resources is much harder. Ships are expensive and freighters enormously pricey. I like the fact the progression is much slower. At release you could find most blueprints in the first couple systems. Some won't like the slow grind the game is now though

So they slowed down the progression, but did they really rebalance it? The biggest problem at launch was that you could actually fully upgrade everything even if you stayed on one planet. At least one person actually did that after 30 hours. Does it now simply take 60 hours to do that same thing?

It's such a great game to pop in and relax with. I used to play it every night after work to unwind from a long day. I also streamed a bunch on YouTube, and will probably start that series up again when the new patch drops.

Sean has never pretended this game was more than his quirky, niche passion project that he has to make for himself, and people like him. I love the game. It's serene and fascinating to me. There's plenty of narrative driven, fetch quest having, tower climbing, wannabe movie games out there (and I say this as someone who loves those types of games too), and NMS is a nice change of pace. Something different.

Maybe one day a developer will attempt something that's more of a middle ground between Elite and No Man's Sky, but these games are made by human beings. Content takes man hours, and people expecting a 14 studio team to populate a game with trillions of planets with unique and varied content, while also delivering a strong narrative we're deluding themselves. I commend HG for expanding on Sean Murray's ambitions for the game, but at its core, it's still going to be a game about traveling from Star to Star and looking at cool vistas and weird creatures.

My hopes are that they continue to improve the proc gen and variation, and diverse biomes for a singular planet. I still get excited when I enter a new system, because I'm still being surprised by what I find. Continue to improve on that, while also adding quality of life improvements, and I'll be a happy camper.

I have Mass Effect and Witcher and Horizon if I want a more story driven RPG. NMS isn't an RPG. I'm not shitting on the lore of NMS, which I think is cool and interesting, but I'm not losing sleep over not having a billion story quests to undertake.

I understand the hype went probably way beyond what Hello Games intended. Murray repeatedly made comparisons to Steam Early Access games that kind of just show up and get word-of-mouth from there, and that this was more developmentally in-line with those except Hello Games intended to launch in a "1.0" state. I'm fine with that, I just still feel disappointed at certain things Murray said would be in the game but aren't. To my recollection most of that is just stuff regarding how the environments lay out procedurally.

Honestly, right now I get more of a feeling of anticipation when I enter a new system in Elite and Space Engine than in this game. I can't land on the planets in Elite, but I actually feel like they have more variety. Planets with water and life feel much rarer and more precious. In NMS almost every planet I've been to so far has been a vaguely similar collection of rocks, exotic or non-exotic trees, lakes, and caves.

I guess my big issue outside of how solar systems work is balance. I never got a sense of the "90/90" rule Murray talked about in interviews where 90 percent of planets would be dead rocks in space and nine of the last 10 percent would have really simple life. Even post-update I feel like life in NMS should still be rarer, and buildings should be rarer. But then again that's the difference between being "cartoon Elite" and being essentially "Don't Starve with space ships." Not only does NMS feel like the latter, but each planet feels like a slightly different Don't Starve map with the same rules.

You know what I think Hello Games should have done while keeping that focus? Expanded the range or scope of how the core gameplay loop plays out. I understand the decision to make each planet one-biome, but right now you spend way too much time on each planet given how uniform their surfaces are. Again, the main problem is that almost everything you need can be found on each individual planet. Maybe NMS should be re-balanced so all the things you need are just contained in each individual system, and inter-planetary travel is less expensive (but warping is still really tough). Make stuff like Plutonium or Thanium 9 or Heridium only appear on one planet in each system. Have life only appear on, at most, one or two planets per system. Only put a few trading posts on one or two of the planets in each system. Basically, take the current idea of spacing stuff out more and... space it out even more than that. I feel like that would emphasize the "space game" aspect of NMS more while still keeping it a survival game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In a way I feel the planets in NMS are too big. If it's not going to be a realistic universe anyway, I think they should have been smaller and more dedicated to different biomes like a desert, frozen world, swampy, etc.

Right now it can take too long to traverse a planet to explore fully, even if ironically one can usually, eventually, find everything needed on any given planet. The balance in the game is simply out of whack.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
In a way I feel the planets in NMS are too big. If it's not going to be a realistic universe anyway, I think they should have been smaller and more dedicated to different biomes like a desert, frozen world, swampy, etc.

Right now it can take too long to traverse a planet to explore fully, even if ironically one can usually, eventually, find everything needed on any given planet. The balance in the game is simply out of whack.
It's funny you say this because the planets are actually really tiny compared to real planets. I think most barely have the surface area of the state of new york. But with No Man's Sky's planets, it really doesn't matter how large they are. It's math, so no matter where you are on a planet, it's largely the same as everywhere else on it. There's no reason to traverse everything.

In Elite: Dangerous, planets with the same radius as average NMS planets wouldn't even be fully round, they'd be potato planets.

RedSwirl

You can put it in different ways I guess, but I just think the planets are too homogeneous for their size. It's the same kinds of ruins, buildings, and caves every few hundred meters. There's no need to explore a whole planet worth of that. It also depends on how much travel time you prefer.

Perhaps planets that big really shouldn't have been one-biome. Hello Games wanted to encourage people to jump from planet to planet more, but the survival game as-is encourages too much time on each individual planet and puts too much of the same stuff on each planet. Now, if you have a "home planet" you always return to, it would be more fulfilling if that one planet had actual continents, vast oceans, frozen polar regions, and warm equatorial regions. Maybe at least put different types of resources in different regions of each planet.

Shifty1897

As much as I believe the hate was justified when the game first launched, kudos to Murray and the Hello Games team for trying to make things right.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll buy it on PSN.

So to summarize

1. Regular ship
4. Go through black hole

Why do you have to warp to a new system to get additional ships?

Why can't you just hang out in the same system and wait around for a ship you like to land inside your freighter to buy?

belvedere

Junior Butler

Why can't you just hang out in the same system and wait around for a ship you like to land inside your freighter to buy?

His example just demonstrated using a throwaway ship to jump through black holes since they take damage and need repairs afterwards.

Right now the easiest way to own multiple ships is to have a freighter where other ships land and take off like at space stations. When you buy one of these visiting ships its added to your freighter on one of the landing pads.

drh1691

Neo Member

You are correct, you don't need to warp.

Steps 1-7 are for travel to the center once you have the ships you need.

yet peeps playing elite dangerous don't seem to have this complaint [about planet rotation]...

my feelings on it are that it never worked as intended so HG dropped it.. hoping to add it back later..

like I've said before, give me an elite dangerous universe but with MMS planets..

I think most people who are playing NMS don't want that hardcore level of sim, but Sean did talk often about orbital mechanics and planet rotation so I hope they can bring them back.

The reason people were confused by planet rotation doesn't mean rotation should've been taken out, just that the UI needs more work to make it clear to people where things are.

His example just demonstrated using a throwaway ship to jump through black holes since they take damage and need repairs afterwards.

Right now the easiest way to own multiple ships is to have a freighter where other ships land and take off like at space stations. When you buy one of these visiting ships its added to your freighter on one of the landing pads.

Ah, I see.

Most damage I see is repaired with Crysonite (sp?) which is almost always sold at Space Station Terminals pretty cheap in stacks of 45.

I just load up on that stuff and keep using the same ship.

Landford

Banned
The reason people were confused by planet rotation doesn't mean rotation should've been taken out, just that the UI needs more work to make it clear to people where things are.

As someone who play the game often and really like it, and think HG are doing an excelent job at updating the game, I dont believe for a second that planetary rotation was ever more than just a concept. I really doubt they had a system for it.

DrBo42

I think most people who are playing NMS don't want that hardcore level of sim, but Sean did talk often about orbital mechanics and planet rotation so I hope they can bring them back.

Yeah, I agree it needs to come back. I'm hoping there's more 65daysofstatic coming as well.

I have been trying out the last two patches for the first time this week, all because of the hype for 1.3 and after completing the
technician missions up to the monolith and it feels like it ties into the arg, having information implanted, talking about an unknown presence waiting, something worse to come. I'm sure I saw a beast in the background that disappeared too.

Really interested to see what the other missions bring and how it ties into 1.3.

I'm hoping there's more 65daysofstatic coming as well.
I absolutely love the soundtrack, in fact it's currently my go to work travel and going to sleep soundtrack.

So... if I plan on playing again, should I just start over and forget about my old save? I farmed some money crafting and selling chips or something like that, it was before the farming patch.

OuterLimits

You can put it in different ways I guess, but I just think the planets are too homogeneous for their size. It's the same kinds of ruins, buildings, and caves every few hundred meters. There's no need to explore a whole planet worth of that. It also depends on how much travel time you prefer.

Perhaps planets that big really shouldn't have been one-biome. Hello Games wanted to encourage people to jump from planet to planet more, but the survival game as-is encourages too much time on each individual planet and puts too much of the same stuff on each planet. Now, if you have a "home planet" you always return to, it would be more fulfilling if that one planet had actual continents, vast oceans, frozen polar regions, and warm equatorial regions. Maybe at least put different types of resources in different regions of each planet.

They changed things up a bunch with the updates. It's no longer possible to gather a ton of blueprints in the first couple systems. For the most part, things that gave you blueprints at release, now give you a currency called nanites. Blueprints are sold by the alien species at space stations. The Korvax sell suit upgrades, the Gek ship upgrades, and Vykeen sell multitool. Each space station only offers about 5 blueprints as well. In order to buy Tau and Theta blueprints you need to build up your affinity with the particular aliens.

So say you are looking for better toxic hazard protection. You most likely need to be in a Korvax system and hope they are selling that upgrade.(and hope you have enough nanites, and good enough affinity to buy them). You can still find blueprints rarely at certain buildings and crashed ship sites. Speaking of buildings, they are much more sparse, and aren't guaranteed to be on the planet your on. A planet may not have an Observatory for example, or a Operations Center. Barren planets now have no buildings, but often have rarer resources. Crashed ships are much more rare and come with damaged inventory slots you have to repair which is expensive. Plus resources are more sparse and some are only found in red/green/blue star systems. Some new resources are only found on ice planets or hot planets as an example also.

This is why it takes much longer to progress in the game although it's certainly more balanced than at release. Particularly on survival. Acquiring blueprints is much slower and it takes a long time to usually find or purchase theta level ones. Plus things like freighters are very expensive.

Long story short, the updates completely changed many aspects. The idiotic fauna and repetitive flora hasn't changed much though. Nor has reaching the center stopped being one of the worst 'endings" of any game ever made.

So... if I plan on playing again, should I just start over and forget about my old save? I farmed some money crafting and selling chips or something like that, it was before the farming patch.

Keep your stuff. After the patch , depending on when you stopped , you'll probably be on another planet anyway.

DrBo42

The biggest shame is the lack of dynamic events or moments. Anything you find has been seen before, just with a different backdrop. I hope they address that at some point.

0racle

Does one need a new save file to experience the new features of the past additions? I platinumed the game in its vanilla state.

Does one need a new save file to experience the new features of the past additions? I platinumed the game in its vanilla state.

Yes and no.

If you use your old save , you'll start on another planet you've stopped ( or in another space station ) and continue with the changes.
If you want to try survival or creation mode , they have separate save slots so you can just start those modes and do your stuff

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
They changed things up a bunch with the updates. It's no longer possible to gather a ton of blueprints in the first couple systems. For the most part, things that gave you blueprints at release, now give you a currency called nanites. Blueprints are sold by the alien species at space stations. The Korvax sell suit upgrades, the Gek ship upgrades, and Vykeen sell multitool. Each space station only offers about 5 blueprints as well. In order to buy Tau and Theta blueprints you need to build up your affinity with the particular aliens.

So say you are looking for better toxic hazard protection. You most likely need to be in a Korvax system and hope they are selling that upgrade.(and hope you have enough nanites, and good enough affinity to buy them). You can still find blueprints rarely at certain buildings and crashed ship sites. Speaking of buildings, they are much more sparse, and aren't guaranteed to be on the planet your on. A planet may not have an Observatory for example, or a Operations Center. Barren planets now have no buildings, but often have rarer resources. Crashed ships are much more rare and come with damaged inventory slots you have to repair which is expensive. Plus resources are more sparse and some are only found in red/green/blue star systems. Some new resources are only found on ice planets or hot planets as an example also.

This is why it takes much longer to progress in the game although it's certainly more balanced than at release. Particularly on survival. Acquiring blueprints is much slower and it takes a long time to usually find or purchase theta level ones. Plus things like freighters are very expensive.

Long story short, the updates completely changed many aspects. The idiotic fauna and repetitive flora hasn't changed much though. Nor has reaching the center stopped being one of the worst 'endings" of any game ever made.

That's a good summary of the updated gameplay systems they've added.

The game is so much different from where it was at launch, and it feels more "gamey" now. Not that it didn't feel like a game before, but it feels like the systems play into each other even more now. There's reasons for mining, gathering resources, traveling to different systems, upgrading gear farming, etc, etc. It feels more cohesive and connected, but also lets the player create their own story and missions by letting them decide what they want to focus on next.

I spent quite a bit of time completing the base building quests, and then farming to get some extra cash.

I can't wait for this new patch. I hope it drops before the weekend, so I can sink my teeth into it on Saturday and Sunday.

BizzyBum

Considering I got my 48 slot ship/inventory and 24 slot multitool with every upgrade unlocked at launch I think I'll just stick to that save. lol

I like how each mode has a separate save which you can choose at the start, so I might dabble in Survival here and there, too.

Considering I got my 48 slot ship/inventory and 24 slot multitool with every upgrade unlocked at launch I think I'll just stick to that save. lol

I like how each mode has a separate save which you can choose at the start, so I might dabble in Survival here and there, too.

Your ship and multi-tool were probably grandfathered in as C class though right? If so you're missing a lot of value with A/S class ships/multitools which can have even more impact than the upgrades.

Top Bottom