• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

~Kinggi~

Banned
bvkbx4u9k0fz.jpg

Cess007

I hate to sound like a broken record but, did they changed the amount of fuel required for take off? It always annoyed me that exploring took so much fuel/resources

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm really apprehensive this is way TOO good. If this is real this update must have been baking since before the game launched honestly.

This hype train has turned into a hype rocket with warp reactor Omega bb.

That's kind of how game development is, though. The team is almost always planning for after launch content/support if the time/budget/roi lends itself to producing additional content.

The build that they release on launch is just that, one build of many. They've probably been prepping this update since launch, but as with most new content/features, it was scheduled into their post launch plans. It seems like they had an idea of what they wanted to do post launch, but had to lay out the groundwork with other updates, because they couldn't just go from launch to 1.3, but knew that the best way to engage their dedicated players (not the jaded ones that dropped the game), they'd have to keep consistent content coming. Hence, Foundation, then Pathfinder. It kept the game alive for a full year, and now they're able to release 1.3 (Rise of Atlas? Not sure if that's going to be the name of the update, but probably).

I can't help but respect and appreciate Hello Game's dedication to this IP. Any other dev/publisher would have probably packed it up and put effort into a new IP to try and build a new fanbase around, but I think they love this IP and are passionate about expanding it. Which is good for me, since I love No Man's Sky. I was fine with what we had, but I'll never turn away from free updates that add more to the game. I mean, how can I hate them for wanting to make a promising game live up to that promise?

JoeBoy101

It just saddens me that only a fraction of the people who bought the game will ever revisit it. It needs a relaunch. No Man's Sky: New Horizons or some stupid tagline like that.

I like No Man's Sky: Atlas Rising.

OmNomKnight said:
Just me or do graphics look improved? Also, is that a sand planet??

I think that's a yes on both counts. Certainly on the sand planet, and I think on the graphics too.

KCroxtonJr said:
The generation update seems to be significant, even more so than the first update.

tumblr_inline_n3fhb4nPX01r9f8es.gif

After the first update, I felt like that was their secret weapon. How they could tweak the procedural generation making the planets even better.

Wow really impressed with the new visor. I like that a lot! Also shoutout to finally being able to fly close to planets.

Thank you Hello Games. <3

Top Bottom