• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky 1.3 Update releasing this week (portals, expanded story, and more)

Unicorn

Copying Elite is industry-standard for a barebones space game's base skeleton imo. Hopefully it's implemented well for -true- space trading.

Would love the crashed freighters to utilize base building to procedurally create "dungeons" to explore/loot.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Hard work blood sweat and tears.

Didn't read much of what you guys posted here just looking at the pics.

Nah, they did it with all of the money they scammed from the suckers that bought the game at launch and ran away with. /s

I'm really pleased with what Hello Games has accomplished in a year. I feel very strongly that if they hadn't been forced by unforeseen circumstances to launch last August, they'd be launching the game now, and this would probably close to what would have launched (in also certain that feedback from players over the past year shaped the three update patches, along with whatever their original plans for game content/features were).

Copying Elite is industry-standard for a barebones space game's base skeleton imo. Hopefully it's implemented well for -true- space trading.

Would love the crashed freighters to utilize base building to procedurally create "dungeons" to explore/loot.

you're getting me hype at the possibilties

they're certainly big enough to go into

MattAces

Revamp combat, add in pulse rifle, scout rifle, fusion rifle and hand cannon. Add 3 classes void, solar and lightning. Call the dungeon Lost Sector, there will be loot boxes at the end with a boss battle.

Lom1lo

This game has so much potential. They should Work on something really really big and make an addon for 20€ + rerelease a complete edition for 50€ (also on xbox please, I would double dip in a heartbeat). This game and subnautica are some of my best experiences this gen

MattAces

This game has so much potential. They should Work on something really really big and make an addon for 20€ + rerelease a complete edition for 50€ (also on xbox please, I would double dip in a heartbeat). This game and subnautica are some of my best experiences this gen

The past 2 updates, and if the leaked stuff is accurate, are HUGE updates.
I would consider them as bigger update than Destiny year 1 expansions.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think a lot of the reason why developers are so hesitant to announce a game too far from launch is because game development is never set in stone. There are schedules, milestones, and goals you attempt to reach, but sometimes, the reality of development, technology, resources, time, and budget set in, and all of those best laid plans fall apart.

Shortly after announcing the game, Hello Games was hit with a massive flood that took out their office. They lost data, but fortunately had backups that they could continue to work from. Then money began to thin out, and they had to release the most "complete" version of the game they could, or else there'd be no more Hello Games.

It's a shame when that happens, but I think they fully intended to realize the vision they showed when they announced it, but things didn't play out that way in the end. Making video games is hard, and it's one of the things I didn't fully appreciate until I started working in the gaming industry myself.

I've worked at quite a few developers and publishers, both big and small, and it can be a job of extremes. Extreme highs as things gel and come together, and extreme lows, as things break and fall apart. There's of course feelings in between those extremes, but the love of what you're doing gets you through the rough stuff.

I knew from the moment Sean Murray stepped out on stage during the No Man's Sky reveal at the PlayStation conference that he was not a PR guy. He was a developer who, by virtue of being a tiny indie studio had to be the voice and face of the company. His awkwardness, and discomfort at having to be in the limelight was evident, but his enthusiasm for the game he was making was palpable, and infectious. He clearly loves what he's doing, and was proud of what his team and himself had accomplished. It was a shame to see that all come crashing down because of features that had to be "cut," or just weren't ready at launch.

There's this point in game development where the team has to sit down and discuss reality. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made, and content that was intended to be in the game at launch has to be "cut." And by "cut," I simply mean that the feature is post-poned until whatever is holding it back can be ironed out. And what's holding it back could be time, money, resources, tech, the usual.

I didn't see the launch of No Man's Sky as a series of "broken promises," but as a small developer that had bit off more than it could chew, had showed a game that was waylaid by real life stuff (floods and money shortage), and instead of packing it in, they put together the most "polished and playable" version of the game they could, in the hopes that they could expand on the "cut" features later. Fortunately, it seems that that is exactly what they've been doing the past 12 months.

The vitriol, hate, and "Sean Murray lied!!!!!" reaction to the launch of the game was, as a gamer and gaming enthusiast, embarrassing and pathetic to behold, and as a developer, horrifying and anxiety inducing. Nobody that comes in to work, sometimes putting in 12-16 hour days to create a game they truly love does so with the intention of fucking over their audience. Nobody that sits down at their desk, poring over code, art, design docs, or QA testing is doing so to break promises and disappoint players and their fanbase.

No Man's Sky and Hello Games became a kind of frightening cautionary tale about a worst case scenario, in which your game gets too big for your studio to handle, with expectations so high there was no way you'd be able to meet them, and you don't have a trained PR voice to get the real message of your product out there, or mitigate expectations before they got out of control. It's honestly no wonder that developers nowadays tend to announce projects closer to release. Fear of the kind of backlash and the gaming community turning on you was enough to give you pause. You want to do nothing more than share your cool new game with the world, but know that if even a single feature has to be cut in the 6-12 months before release, the tide could turn on you. For a small studio, that turning tide could destroy your company. A Sony, EA, Microsoft, or Nintendo could weather those kind of blunders, but a tiny indie studio? Good luck.

You don't want to keep everything quiet, but you also don't want to promise things that may end up being unfeasible for some reason or another. That's the balancing act that happens when it comes to revealing games/features. It's also why PR people are very important for spreading that message. Not everyone can afford a PR face to promote their work, and sometimes that responsibility has to fall on the person completely unprepared for the job.

I think most of the pathetic death threats and vitriol was sent by either people incapable of empathy at all or people who have never worked as a developer or content maker themselves.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel like if "joint exploration" was "multiplayer," they would have called it "multiplayer," and not try to fancy it up with a different term.

I think people should reign in their expectations on what joint exploration is, and not get carried away with thinking it's some sprawling multiplayer feature. They're still a small studio. They may not have the infrastructure to create something like your traditional multiplayer network and game modes.

I think if any lesson Hello Games learned from last year, it was how to be clearer with your messaging.

"Joint exploration " just doesn't scream multiplayer to me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I feel like if "joint exploration" was "multiplayer," they would have called it "multiplayer," and not try to fancy it up with a different term.

I think people should reign in their expectations on what joint exploration is, and not get carried away with thinking it's some sprawling multiplayer feature. They're still a small studio. They may not have the infrastructure to create something like your traditional multiplayer network and game modes.

I think if any lesson Hello Games learned from last year, it was how to be clearer with your messaging.

Makes me think it's some kind of community exploration sharing/tabulation of some kind. Like the ability to mark a planet as cool or interesting and let other players travel there if they want to see it for themselves.

GLAMr

This is a good point. I'm guessing it's some kind of asynchronous multiplayer, which could still be a good addition if done right. With this update coming and the crazy 60% discount ATM (it's like AU$21), I might finally cave in and buy NMS.

Kalentan

This is a good point. I'm guessing it's some kind of asynchronous multiplayer, which could still be a good addition if done right. With this update coming and the crazy 60% discount ATM (it's like AU$21), I might finally cave in and buy NMS.

Maybe guilds ala Injustice 2? You don't directly play with each other but you do complete objectives as a guild.

Yeah like joint-discoveries or something; the ability to more easily share coordinates and maybe explore star systems and make discoveries asynchronously.

Hmm excited to start this up again, but continue with my current play through rather than start over again.
Haven't really played since late 2016 so I figure once this update hits I'll be lost a bit.

Was space combat ever improved from the last two bigger patches?

OléGunner;245893724 said:
Hmm excited to start this up again, but continue with my current play through rather than start over again.
Haven't really played since late 2016 so I figure once this update hits I'll be lost a bit.

Was space combat ever improved from the last two bigger patches?

Flight mechanics were improved in the Pathfinder update, though they obviously are still very arcadey.

Planet

I can be an interplanetary delivery boy!
Gotta-Do.gif

Cincaid

I reeaaaally hope this update goes live today or tomorrow. Someone earlier said the leaked page had the date stamp 8/11, which means at least the page will probably go live sometime today. Here's hoping.

ArchAngel

I reeaaaally hope this update goes live today or tomorrow. Someone earlier said the leaked page had the date stamp 8/11, which means at least the page will probably go live sometime today. Here's hoping.

That's the date they posted it. It was already "8/11" at the time here in Europe ;)
Could still come today though.

But it screams coop...which isn't exactly multiplayer. So it would be very clearly labelled, in that case.

And what's with all the "it's copying Elite" stuff? The game wouldn't exist at all without it. So they might as well go in fully. Anything with deliveries was stolen from Paperboy anyway.

SomTervo

Patch notes up now.

https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/

A regenerated system adds wealth, economy and conflict levels to star systems.

To control this the Galaxy Map has been overhauled, improving navigation
and providing access to key information.

Install galactic technology to be able to filter the map by lifeform, wealth and economy.

Improved waypointing, and navigation allows you to see your journey so far, from beginning to end.

This alone... shiiiit

Edit: holy fuck the mission system!!!

MissionBoard_2.jpg

Visit the new Mission Agent in Space Stations to pick up unique and rewarding new tasks.

Missions are constantly generated, and cater to all play styles (scanning, trading, combat and exploration).

New NPC guilds have been introduced, each with standing and objectives.

Build your standing with numerous NPC guilds and unlock more difficult, more rewarding missions.

SomTervo

Where's the new thread???

Also "multiplayer" via ghosts:

Joint exploration:

Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.

Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.

While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man's Sky.

While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.

Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.

-Use the terrain manipulator to excavate buried resources in the region.

Wonder what this means for mining :O Hope we get bigger and deeper mineral deposits or even hidden-underground deposits~

Un4

Damn, they really have seemed to nail it. In my opinion Hello Games deserves a lot of respect for this.

Can't wait to jump in later today.

I've been playing Elite Dangerous non stop since the PS4 release and it's already one of my favourite games ever. I'm finally going to be taking a break tonight!

I've just read the patch notes notes for NMS and now I'm really excited to start playing again. The low flight and analysis visor improvements are something I've been waiting for since the game was released.

So I'm just going to nuke my save and start fresh, in survival mode of course!

Planet

I'd say the game was worth that kind of price at start easily, and it has been massively overhauled. Don't expect it to have amazing gameplay, but it definitely has enjoyable content.

Top Bottom