• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
On Survival yes. On Normal, not always.

On normal, but damn so far it's been 100%. I've still decided to settle my base on one of those, and sentinels oppose no real threat as I take them down really fast but still super annoying.

Ha well, I'll eventually hit the jackpot.

Lamptramp

I've only just tried continuing the Atlas questline and noticed after several jumps the nearest Atlas is hundreds of thousands of LY away. I must have caught the bug before 1.32 fixed it and not noticed.
Bollocks :(

I think I'll mosey centre wards and try saving up for a freighter for now and hope its addressed sooner rather than later, still pretty disappointed. Trying to consider a positive though, it's another reason to try a survival run should it not be fixed. I really wasn't in the mood for survival when I jumped back in but part of me keeps wishing I'd stuck with it.

somme

I've only just tried continuing the Atlas questline and noticed after several jumps the nearest Atlas is hundreds of thousands of LY away. I must have caught the bug before 1.32 fixed it and not noticed.
Bollocks :(

If you visit Nada and Polo you can ask them to direct you to an Atlas closer.

edgefusion

How do you farm on a freighter? The hydroponic trays dump their charges so regularly it's completely impossible to have anything grow, they're even worse than when they're in a base.

Edit: Nvm. Nada & Polo still bugged, Atlas still bugged, Patterns in Time still bugged. So I'm still out!

somme

I have only seen Nada & Polo ship 1 time in nearly 50 hours and 30+ system jumps. Is their appearance tied to main mission progress?

It didn't use to be. They used to appear, for me at least, every five jumps or so. It does seem to be less now though.

I have only seen Nada & Polo ship 1 time in nearly 50 hours and 30+ system jumps. Is their appearance tied to main mission progress?

Are you scanning while in space in a new system? I only ask because I had no idea there was an anomaly in system before I did. Was scanning to see if the drops from pirates show up and ended up flagging an Anomaly.

Trojan

Once you finished the base missions for a particular console, you can delete it without consequence, yes? I'm at the limit of my base and want to make sure before I zap these dudes.

So I was messing about with a portal and entered 121212 etc as I only have the 1st 2 glyphs. Found a reasonably nice ice planet. Fairly well visited going by the messages. There was a base available about 10 mins south of the portal so I took it and moved my glass farm there. Anyone wanting that trophy for visiting a players base can get there easy enough on foot or in an exocraft :)

Lamptramp

Once you finished the base missions for a particular console, you can delete it without consequence, yes? I'm at the limit of my base and want to make sure before I zap these dudes.

Yep, and if you ever needed to rebuild the same NPC would return as well.

Aenima

Does ship health (icons under shield bar) regenerate after x time?

I dont think so, but they regenerate. I think if u land on a space station or change solar system, like teleporting to base, they regenerate. Not sure i dont fight too much on my ship anymore :p

NotSelf

So I was messing about with a portal and entered 121212 etc as I only have the 1st 2 glyphs. Found a reasonably nice ice planet. Fairly well visited going by the messages. There was a base available about 10 mins south of the portal so I took it and moved my glass farm there. Anyone wanting that trophy for visiting a players base can get there easy enough on foot or in an exocraft :)

Thanks might visit tonight.

Edit: PS4?

Grinchy

Banned
Just to be certain, you don't lose anything if you transfer your base to a new planet? Like if you have crops planted in trays, those come along? And storage containers don't glitch out and lose random items?

Just to be certain, you don't lose anything if you transfer your base to a new planet? Like if you have crops planted in trays, those come along? And storage containers don't glitch out and lose random items?

Contents of your storage containers are safe, but I don't think crops carry over.

I'm having a great time with it. I already loved the lore in the game so fleshing that out a bit more was very interesting to me. Also the nods to the Waking Titan ARG have been great.

Have heard good things about the story as well. Excited to jump in after I farm a bit more and get my freighter.

Is there a synopsis somewhere of the ARG stuff? I feel like a lot of us jumped (back) in at 1.3 and probably weren't paying attention before.

Lamptramp

Its amazing, best story I played in a while

I'm having a great time with it. I already loved the lore in the game so fleshing that out a bit more was very interesting to me. Also the nods to the Waking Titan ARG have been great.

Agree with you guys, its surprisingly good.

[edit]

Have heard good things about the story as well. Excited to jump in after I farm a bit more and get my freighter.

Is there a synopsis somewhere of the ARG stuff? I feel like a lot of us jumped (back) in at 1.3 and probably weren't paying attention before.

Here is the only synopsis I can think of.

Minamu

I feel like the different types of ships handle differently from each other, my explorer is much more agile than my fighter, but it's still a new slugfest I'd rather be without. Maybe the different classes of ships, C-S, improve handling? It all makes sense on paper, but it doesn't really work in practice. It only goes to show even more that the flying planetside is flawed, now not only from a visibility perspective but also from a control response point of view.

somme

I've got a big old hauler so I'd expect the handling to be sluggish, especially on a planet with an atmosphere.

I'm also another one who enjoyed the story. Even if I did have to wait a week after getting stuck on the
Mind Arc/Base teleportation part.
(Don't worry though, that's fixed now!)

mokeyjoe

That first one.

That is the exact freighter I'm going for. Is that one for a specific race? I thought I saw it in a Korvax system, but idr.

Lol, I honestly can't remember. Bought it about 6 months ago and haven't played normal since. I think it cost me 18m, and it has 25 slots. I'm glad I bought it when I did.

Lol, I honestly can't remember. Bought it about 6 months ago and haven't played normal since. I think it cost me 18m, and it has 25 slots. I'm glad I bought it when I did.

That's fun. When I parked in it to see how much I needed to farm, it said 280M....

w/e. Finally have the farming figured out, sold my first 100 liquid explosives last night and at 30M an hour, a few more hours of farming will get me there.

But it's the dopest looking freighter I've seen hands down!

Unicorn

How do you farm on a freighter? The hydroponic trays dump their charges so regularly it's completely impossible to have anything grow, they're even worse than when they're in a base.

Edit: Nvm. Nada & Polo still bugged, Atlas still bugged, Patterns in Time still bugged. So I'm still out!
Things grow, just slower, when not charged.

mokeyjoe

That's fun. When I parked in it to see how much I needed to farm, it said 280M....

w/e. Finally have the farming figured out, sold my first 100 liquid explosives last night and at 30M an hour, a few more hours of farming will get me there.

Well it was 50m, but I saved them from pirates and got the discount. I presume that still happens.

mokeyjoe

Is that an actual thing?? I knew they gave you a reward, but I never paid attention to if the prices of the ships went down.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case?

Lol,I may be wrong about that. But I did save the freighter and it was a lot cheaper than others of the same size. Whether it was a coincidence I don't know.

Like I said, I've been out of the loop when it comes to freighters for quite a while. I'm never getting one in Survival.

Lamptramp

I presume you've outlined a rough method earlier in the thread Redline? I've not had chance to keep up with the thread the last couple of days so I'll have to look back and see how you've planned it out. I've done some rough stuff to get me 2 (almost 3) domes up and running so now may be the time to start doing some "lite" farming to build funds up.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Maybe this is Elite making its way over to my NMS experience, but man would it be awesome to have a ship large enough to deploy a roamer. And something about being able to walk around inside of a larger ship like that, maybe even be able to fit a bed and a couple of carbon plants.

I get with the current game mechanics there's workarounds for all of this, but it would still be cool. For me that would add quite a bit of immersion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I presume you've outlined a rough method earlier in the thread Redline? I've not had chance to keep up with the thread the last couple of days so I'll have to look back and see how you've planned it out. I've done some rough stuff to get me 2 (almost 3) domes up and running so now may be the time to start doing some "lite" farming to build funds up.
It's this: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6tcqvb/how_to_make_10_million_units_hour_in_13/

Plenty of potential variations you can work from there. It's not for me but definitely a solid plan to make quite and regular cash.
Considering the huge launch they had, I think it's safe to assume they probably sold at least another cool million PS4 copies, as well. With a team that small, HG has cash to keep the game going for a while, I believe.
I wonder how the tail looks on PS4 yeah.

At this point, they ought to do a permanent price drop I think (not to that Steam sale price, but a lower entry point). Happy as I was to pay retail multiple times over (got multiple copies on PS4 and the explorer's edition on PC), it will never have the production values expected of a $60 AAA game. I wish the industry would embrace a wider variety of MSRPs in the first place (shoutout Hellblade)

E92 M3

Can you please help me out with farming - it seems so difficult to get started.

--

I hope that in the future they make exocraft bays cheaper to produce.

Anyone have a favorite craft? Seems like the Rover is the best bang for the buck.

Yeah so I used the exact method below from the reddit thread, but found it to be (way) too conservative. I was getting, round trip, back to my plants with like 19 mins to spare. So i tripled everything; plants to 180 and the amount of mordite and cactus flesh I go get.

I posted some times last night, but i did three runs at 24, 28 and 40 mins. The highly variable part is just how lucky your rng is on finding cactus flesh. Sometimes great (24 mins) sometimes less great (40 mins).

it was probably 3 hrs to set up, but I didn't pay attention and wandered around finding all the initial mould i needed instead of planting and farming every 30 mins to get the 60 plants up and running. Set up would probably be quicker if i did it again smarter.

Also, I'm not wasting time selling every run. Built two storage cubes and they hold 50 each, so i'm getting to 100 before going to sell.

But yeah, rough estimate with n=3 is prolly ~30M/hr

E: This is all assuming you've done the farming quests for your base. Need to do those first. Pro tip: when doing those, get extra of each thing he tells you to get. You'll need to plant some and he's like "bring me the stuff when it grows on your plant." It doesn't really need to be from the plant, so don't waste time waiting, just turn in the extra you grabbed of whatever thing he wanted you to plant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6tcqvb/how_to_make_10_million_units_hour_in_13/

Again, try with 60 and see what you think, but I think half hour for 60 plants and round trip was way too conservative. Even 120 plants left me time.

Also worth noting, if you're going for big ticket items, seems dumb to go and sell every half hour or hour. Liquid explosive fits in ship as a 10 stack, so I'm planning to have at least 100 before I make my first run to sell and submarine the resale value. Saves you time having to warp all over too.

Lamptramp

It's this: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6tcqvb/how_to_make_10_million_units_hour_in_13/

Plenty of potential variations you can work from there. It's not for me but definitely a solid plan to make quite and regular cash.

Cheers Hawkian.

Having a quick look I wouldn't go "all-in", I like my base in my starting system all pretty in pink, but small scale just to craft some stuff efficiently for selling is enough for me.

[edit]

And Jeez, thanks Redline fully in depth :D

All finished with base missions so no worries from that POV, I'll give it a go with a small homestead and see how I go from there.

At this point, they ought to do a permanent price drop I think (not to that Steam sale price, but a lower entry point). Happy as I was to pay retail multiple times over (got multiple copies on PS4 and the explorer's edition on PC), it will never have the production values expected of a $60 AAA game. I wish the industry would embrace a wider variety of MSRPs in the first place (shoutout Hellblade)

Yeah, they could probably drop it to $30 or $40, add a bunch of cosmetic stuff as MTs (base furniture, character models, ship decals, etc) and turn it into an evergreen type of game.

Cheers Hawkian.

Having a quick look I wouldn't go "all-in", I like my base in my starting system all pretty in pink, but small scale just to craft some stuff efficiently for selling is enough for me.

[edit]

And Jeez, thanks Redline fully in depth :D

All finished with base missions so no worries from that POV, I'll give it a go with a small homestead and see how I go from there.

Yeah the reason for the base move is that cactus takes forever to grow. Like ~2 hrs I think I've seen quoted (haven't tried myself) so if you aren't aggressive or don't care about it taking that kind of time, you could totally just plant cactus and go back and do a bit every 2 hrs.

I just really, really want that gd freighter =)

I hope that in the future they make exocraft bays cheaper to produce.

Anyone have a favorite craft? Seems like the Rover is the best bang for the buck.

I wanted to like them all a lot more than i did. The big one has a mining laser that's slower than my pistol one =( I was all excited to take my big mining truck around and excavate, but it seems super inefficient.

I like the hover one for just getting around quickly and farming

Giganteus

This is kind of unrelated to NMS, but I came across this article and immediately thought of the vistas in this game, and it made me want more livable NPC structures.

http://www.fubiz.net/en/2017/08/23/surreal-californian-landscapes-in-infrared/

Would be amazing to come across little alien domiciles with tiny alien children running around with a little quest.
I've been thinking about that now that I've put a good number of hours into the game. I feel like that's a step they're getting close to if they wanted to do it. Bumping into NPCs that roam around on certain planets and discovering small villages would really make NMS feel more alive. I don't see why they couldn't. Some of the pieces are already there.

Donos

Only thing really bothering me so far is that landing gear thirst for Plutonium. 3-4 take offs and landings and this thing is empty.

Give me an expensive as shit upgrade which seriously reduces the need for Pu and i will farm days for it.

Top Bottom