• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Sane_Man

What's the benefit of having a base? Should I be trying to get one early on? Will I not constantly need to warp back to it rather than heading for the centre?

Loving the game overall. My only issue is inventory space. I'm constantly running out which puts me off exploring for long periods. Wish I could sell to people on some of the planets.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
figured out how to build the beacon (I orgot which key it was from the turotial), proceeded to look for a million drop pods, now I have like 6 more slots, feelsgoodman.

but now im borke again, feelsbadman ;_;

What's the benefit of having a base? Should I be trying to get one early on? Will I not constantly need to warp back to it rather than heading for the centre?

Loving the game overall. My only issue is inventory space. I'm constantly running out which puts me off exploring for long periods. Wish I could sell to people on some of the planets.

One of the guys in the base teaches you how to build exocraft to drive around. Once you got that you can summon those cars on any planet (if you build a platform first). They make gathering resources much easier.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well the fault might be in your save.

my objectives are filled and completed just fine.
i've resumed from a 1.2 save with no issues.

New save, so...

In Survival the requirements are higher (for example, you need to craft 7 carrite sheets instead of 4), but the objective completes when you've reached the requirements for that objective in Normal. So it moves on to the next objective, which you can't actually do yet. Pretty confusing and annoying.

Sucks, because I really wanted to do Survival. I'm scared it will continue like this, and progression will just break at some point.

This has always been the case, so it's most likely intentional.

I know it has always been the case, just saying it doesn't make sense. And there are other oooold bugs they haven't fixed, so why not this too.

Roshin

Just a thought, but is there dynamic weather in the game? Every planet I've been to has been a hostile hellhole with acid rain, toxic fallout, etc, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that actually looks like rain, snow, etc.

It seems like a thing to have in a game like this.

Seiniyta

Oh wow, found a large cave with grass and trees growing in them:

b1mAwB0.jpg

Just a thought, but is there dynamic weather in the game? Every planet I've been to has been a hostile hellhole with acid rain, toxic fallout, etc, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that actually looks like rain, snow, etc.

Yeah there's snow and non toxic rain. At least there was at launch. Haven't played survival or the new update

There's rain and the weather is dynamic to the extent of it having a severe and calm state. However its restricted to the biome of the planet you're on. So if you're on a hot planet it could be scathing heat with the addition of occasional sandstorms. The temperature also changes depending on them, and the time of day.

The reasoning behind single biome planets was because initially the goal was to travel. Staying put was never part of the original game design, and base building was added after player feedback indicated that staying on a planet for awhile was desired. If you have planets with multiple biomes there's less reason to up sticks and move on to find something new on another planet.

I would say that this is liable to change, as per bases building, but with resources being specific to biomes now I feel that's still them pushing for exploration over hunkering in one spot. Portals making it easier and effectively giving 'a planet' two biomes by the nature of not having to leave the surface.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
flying ships is so frustrating with a keyboard/mouse. gonna need to use my 360 controller. i wish we could have different sensitivity options based on input method unless i'm missing it?

sonto340

How exactly do I start to build my own base? I find a building that looks like it could be used as a base? I must be doing this wrong.

Ok, I played for 5 or 10 hours on release and didnt really like the game but this update sounds pretty great so I'm starting a new game on PS4 now.

Any tips for upgrading inventory space quickly in the early game?
The answer to both of your questions is to press up on the dpad and build a signal booster. It locates something for you that you choose from a menu such as habitable bases and resource deposited, or drop odd that contain exosuit upgrades.

It's a shame that the PC version is so poorly made. The slightest change in graphics options requires a restart of the game; which takes way too long. Also, the 21:9 implementation is really bad. The HUD is stretched and looks terrible. So, I decided to change to 2560x1440, which for some reason locks the framerate to 60 fps even though I've set it to 90 in the options menu. :/

Can't say I'm liking the overall IQ either. The AA implementations are quite bad. Oh well, I'll try it for a bit longer and see if I can get it to work somewhat properly.

It's a shame that the PC version is so poorly made. The slightest change in graphics options requires a restart of the game; which takes way too long. Also, the 21:9 implementation is really bad. The HUD is stretched and looks terrible. So, I decided to change to 2560x1440, which for some reason locks the framerate to 60 fps even though I've set it to 90 in the options menu. :/
Generally their PC support has been solid, on release they worked through the weekend putting out patches and support to players and getting feedback on any issues that were affecting their performance. They released a patch yesterday(?) after 1.3 to fix some, and will no doubt be on them now. They're a small team so QA pre patch must be limited compared to the amount of hours logged in the first day live.

Not saying that you should ignore them and continue playing, just a heads up that they will likely be resolved as opposed to long-standing. That doesn't include the UI on 21:9 though, for some reason that's been a problem for them since the start.

Is it just me, or are Cargo upgrades for our exosuit bugged? I tried different drop pods, I bought the upgrade for a whopping 50k units, but still zero slots available.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Dumb question possibly:

How do i change from imperial to metric units? Seeing my temperature as Fahrenheit instead of units of celcius is driving me nuts.

ISee

flying ships is so frustrating with a keyboard/mouse. gonna need to use my 360 controller. i wish we could have different sensitivity options based on input method unless i'm missing it?

I'm not able to find something and flying with KB&M feels even worse than in the release version, but maybe it's just me.

The ๖ۜBronx;246037968 said:
It's a known issue, they're working on it. Sucks you lost the cash, avoid them for now.

I see, kinda annoying but not a big deal. I hope they fix it soon, I really like this new concept of separated slots for various stuff on both suits and ships.

Dumb question possibly:

How do i change from imperial to metric units? Seeing my temperature as Fahrenheit instead of units of celcius is driving me nuts.

AFAIK you can't change it, it's based on player's locale.

I see, kinda annoying but not a big deal. I hope they fix it soon, I really like this new concept of separated slots for various stuff on both suits and ships.
Same. Limited space is the one thing you really want to eliminate immediately when starting the game so to have it blocked is a kicker in the face of everything else they've done. I'm just sure they're kicking themselves harder than anyone could kick them. Hope they manage to push a significant fix for issues soon.

noomi

On pc i wish you could strafe while flying the ship.

A & D being used for rolling feels really weird to me.

SnowTeeth

Banned
1.31 just hit Steam:

Today we're releasing Patch 1.31. This fixes a number of issues including:

* Fixed an issue causing some players to crash when accessing the galactic map while having too many waypoints active

* Fixed a crash some players experience when pinning certain tech

* Fixed a crash which occurs when players with particularly long play-throughs attempt to save the game

* Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in guild missions not crediting correctly

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The ๖ۜBronx;246038164 said:
Same. Limited space is the one thing you really want to eliminate immediately when starting the game so to have it blocked is a kicker in the face of everything else they've done. I'm just sure they're kicking themselves harder than anyone could kick them. Hope they manage to push a significant fix for issues soon.

You can't upgrade storage at all right now? Is this with new saves, old, both?

JJShadow

Is there any way to increase your Oxygen supply underwater? I need to investigate this underwater facility for the base building quest but the default Oxygen supply is extremely short

ISee

1.31 just hit Steam:

Today we’re releasing Patch 1.31. This fixes a number of issues including:

* Fixed an issue causing some players to crash when accessing the galactic map while having too many waypoints active

* Fixed a crash some players experience when pinning certain tech

* Fixed a crash which occurs when players with particularly long play-throughs attempt to save the game

* Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in guild missions not crediting correctly

Also on GOG.

edgefusion

Is there any way to increase your Oxygen supply underwater? I need to investigate this underwater facility for the base building quest but the default Oxygen supply is extremely short

Check the blueprint vendor on your local space station. You're looking for an 'aeration membrane'.

flonty

So I bought this game as well and have some questions that some of you can hopefully answer.
How do I find ship wrecks or buy new ships? I know I can ask aliens to buy their ships buy they are expenisve and I only have about 700k units so I can't even buy it from them. Is there somewhere a shop for new ships?

tacopingu

Neo Member
Just bought the PC version, but the performance is all over the place. I have a GTX 980 and can't get a consistent frame rate at 1080p. I get anything from 30-60fps. I know the 980 isn't exactly a new card, but I think that this is the first game I've experienced such performance problems at 1080p. It doesn't look like it should be that demanding. Is this normal? How is it running for other PC users?

So I bought this game as well and have some questions that some of you can hopefully answer.
How do I find ship wrecks or buy new ships? I know I can ask aliens to buy their ships buy they are expenisve and I only have about 700k units so I can't even buy it from them. Is there somewhere a shop for new ships?
You got to trade with aliens or find the crashed ones and repair them. You can find crashed ones by going to certain outposts that have a map for coordinates in them. Those give locations to crashed ships and other things.

Fredrik

You got to trade with aliens or find the crashed ones and repair them. You can find crashed ones by going to certain outposts that have a map for coordinates in them. Those give locations to crashed ships and other things.
Has anyone calculated how big the price difference is between a crashed ship and a new ship?

In 1.2 I found a 47 slot A class ship with half of the item slots damaged. I eventually repaired it but the repair was super-expensive in total.

kAmui-

How is it possible that performance has gotten even worse with these updates :|

When I played the game at launch I was at least able to run it at acceptable framerate most of the time. Now the game doesn't seem to run over 25 fps. Doesn't even help if I lower the resolution to 720p. My hw is way above the minimum specs too. Pretty disappointed rn :/

edgefusion

Initially you're better off looking for crashed ships. They will always be a slight upgrade over whatever your current ship is. You have to pay to 'repair' most of its inventory slots though, so it's not a free upgrade but it's still cheaper than buying from an alien. You'll need to find a waypoint beacon on a planet and hope it points you to a derelict ship, but that's a bit tough right now because of the bugged planet scanning.

Has anyone calculated how big the price difference is between a crashed ship and a new ship?

In 1.2 I found a 47 slot A class ship with half of the item slots damaged. I eventually repaired it but the repair was super-expensive in total.

I haven't done any calculations, but the few times I've found a ship upgrade it's been substantially cheaper to repair it than to buy new.

OmegaDL50

Just bought the PC version, but the performance is all over the place. I have a GTX 980 and can't get a consistent frame rate at 1080p. I get anything from 30-60fps. I know the 980 isn't exactly a new card, but I think that this is the first game I've experienced such performance problems at 1080p. It doesn't look like it should be that demanding. Is this normal? How is it running for other PC users?

NMS is much more CPU dependant rather than GPU dependant.

Visually it's not really a demanding game, it's the underlying systems and math-related terrain generation / procedural generation tech is what drags things down.

Even Minecraft with how simplistic it looks with maxed out draw distance on the highest settings also can be a performance hog. It gets even worse when folks start to dabble with high res texture replacements.

One suggested fix is to turn on VSync and Triple Buffering in the applications settings via the Nvidia control panel, after letting GeForce Experience do it's auto-preset for your desired resolution.

How is it possible that performance has gotten even worse with these updates :|

When I played the game at launch I was at least able to run it at acceptable framerate most of the time. Now the game doesn't seem to run over 25 fps. Doesn't even help if I lower the resolution to 720p. My hw is way above the minimum specs too. Pretty disappointed rn :/

They improved texture resolution with the recent patch which ultimately effects the performance. They should probably have updated the baseline sys reqs. to accommodate the new texture upgrades.

E92 M3

I need some help, guys:

I loaded an old save and my stuff is gone essentially. What should I do to start over and start making money? I want my vehicles back and everything. How do I cancel my old base and start a new one?

Thanks!

Jimmy_liv

The ๖ۜBronx;246037968 said:
It's a known issue, they're working on it. Sucks you lost the cash, avoid them for now.

Really??? Does this not work AT ALL?
I mean, can you not upgrade your inventory at all at present?

Its literally the worst thing in the game thus far imho.

Really??? Does this not work AT ALL?
I mean, can you not upgrade your inventory at all at present?

Its literally the worst thing in the game thus far imho.

You can upgrade the normal slots fine, it's only the special "Cargo" slots that are broken. So focus on maxing out the normal slots first.

Jimmy_liv

You can upgrade the normal slots fine, it's only the special "Cargo" slots that are broken. So focus on maxing out the normal slots first.

Ahh cool. I've only played for about 4 hour so far and don't really know how to put stuff into the extra slots anyway.

Navigating the galaxy map is a pain in the arse too. Why I can't just free controlled it is beyond me.

Unicorn

This game has me hooked hard. The present loops of gameplay are working well.

There's still a ton I think can be improved, but it's got the shit to have me trapped.

My Space Naysh nip nip hauler has been sidelined for my in-process mobile black market nuke seller. Pictures once I have another hauler packed with liquid explosives. Each selling for 1million on average. Will then scour the skies for maximum profit.
Ahh cool. I've only played for about 4 hour so far and don't really know how to put stuff into the extra slots anyway.

Navigating the galaxy map is a pain in the arse too. Why I can't just free controlled it is beyond me.
Press o or B and it will be free look.

edgefusion

When you delete something in your base are you refunded the materials? I want to put down a galactic kiosk prior to eventually redeveloping my base but the mats were a massive pain to get.

Took me a few hours to realize there even were other types of slots, and that was only from reading people complaining about this glitch lol

Agree with the Galaxy map. It's infuriating and I can't figure it out. All it does is make me miss Elite's map. And Elite's flight controls for that matter.

Top Bottom