• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

tusken77

On another note, saw this on Reddit:

g5fowm4imffz.gif

Oh my.

need-it.gif

Staf

Just started playing after not having played since the first week. Gotta say, i really enjoy it so far. They really have made improvements. There's one thing i remember despising that they haven't "fixed". There is no "Upload all Fauna" or something. You have to click on each one separately .

Hope they'll go full xenoarcheology in the future. They have systems in place to enable it:

- assuming they have ways to retrieve player-made structures/bases, they could sample those and then use different compatible model sets (say, a Vykeen, Gek, Atlas, etc) to visually reshape then, then plant on different planets. Add some random damage, remove some modules, use the planet environment to add some flair (ice planet, frozen rooms, etc). That would give them a pretty much endless source of structure layouts.

- add a hireable character that acts as a historian. Give him certain collectible items and he gives you snippets of history. Create a storage/library room to display your collectibles.

- scatter collectibles with varying degrees of rarity through all kinds of structures, underwater, in caves, inside crashed ships, with traders, etc.

Unicorn

Ah ok now I just to find a new planet that has a base right?
Yes, scan planets from space and sometimes a "habitable base" point of interest will pop up.
Just started playing after not having played since the first week. Gotta say, i really enjoy it so far. They really have made improvements. There's one thing i remember despising that they haven't "fixed". There is no "Upload all Fauna" or something. You have to click on each one separately .
What about holding 'upload' on the paw print tab?

Isn't this also currently broken? People have been saying planet scans don't reveal the stuff they should.

Broken or removed yeah. Also the game runs like dogshit on the pro now. Lag all over the place in menus and opening items. Even had rubber banding type lag in flight and loads and loads of crashes.

Masonica33

Neo Member
I hadn't played since a couple of weeks after launch and I'm seriously impressed.
I wasn't one of the haters at launch. I saw a deeply spirited, but wholly unfinished game and to my eyes they've done everything they needed to do to contextualise the core of what the game is into something tangible.

Without the form and feeling of progression it has now, it felt like an exercise in nihilism for me. It got kind of distressing. I mean, wandering around planets aimlessly doing nothing but taking in some occasionally aesthetically pleasing vistas, maintaining all the meters just enough to keep going because what the fuck else are you going to do? That felt a bit too like how I feel about my existence to begin with
On some level that's partially a testament to the writing that was in the game to begin with, but it's also a testament to the fact that the game sorely needed some shit to do to make you forget that you're wasting your fucking time on a video game.

Now that's all fixed, I genuinely think the game is really quite wonderful.
Good on Hello Games. I hope this manages to earn them enough good will to continue on into the future. From what I can see, it seems like it's going to do just that.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Broken or removed yeah. Also the game runs like dogshit on the pro now. Lag all over the place in menus and opening items. Even had rubber banding type lag in flight and loads and loads of crashes.

Weird, I haven't had anything but occasional drops when using the teraforming tool. I did experience the menu lag a bit but that was fixed with 1.31.

Lots of people in discord saying its running fine too.

1080/60 btw.

Unicorn

Isn't this also currently broken? People have been saying planet scans don't reveal the stuff they should.

Sure, probably. There's been times where I scan half a dozen times in a system and various new PoI pop up.

Game has its "quirks" all right. Like, my current favorite - redoing all the base missions to relearn shit I spent 20 hours doing months and months ago.... Or, having to deal with being able to buy vast quantities but the Cargo tab of storage is non-functional.... Or, sometimes these base mission buildings STILL don't pop up which was an issue when Foundations first launched... Or, the added tedium of individuallyl fueling farming plots rather than having access to a buildable terminal that can control fueling ALL plots and can just refuel them all from there.... Or, playing teleporter tag with previous systems as it is not at all organized or informative for letting you get back to the system you wanted with the certain economy you were planning to sell to or get technology from - like the system I saw that had the next warp drive upgrade I needed, but after I did a stack of quests to get the nanites that shop either changed stock or I couldn't find the right station.

Does just flying around a planet use fuel?

Nope.

Weird, I haven't had anything but occasional drops when using the teraforming tool. I did experience the menu lag a bit but that was fixed with 1.31.

Lots of people in discord saying its running fine too.

1080/60 btw.

I'm running in 4K and it's horrible. 1.31 hasn't helped at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy sh*t ... did that just really happened to me ? :D

20785830_1417014678384787_4284144986575760430_o.jpg
What happened here... these poor people...
Came across this planet today:

Ln5IoXi.gif

Like, what the hell? They look like machines but the scanner reads them as flora.
K awesome
Might as well renanmr this thread or make a new OT...

No Man's Sky |OTv1.3| Anniversary Edition

:p
I agree- this should become a new OT of sorts. There's more activity than I expected, and I think I'm going to be playing this in the days to come more than I expected (god help me my fucking backlog)

I'm seeing a lot of questions that are actually about the core game unrelated to the new update and it would be fair to contain everything in a new thread since both so much has changed and it's a relaunch point for many users and first timers.
Ah, okay. Eh, all things considered, I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure it will be fixed. I'm quite pleased by everything else that they've done with this patch.
Hey, I just want to say thank you for this post.

There are definitely some really annoying things introduced with this patch, some minor qol inconveniences and some major bugs (I REALLY want those Cargo slots myself ;)).

But Hello Games remains an absolutely tiny developer. They have hired what one might called "intersourced" customer support and QA teams since launch, but at their core they remain a studio with fewer than 20 employees.

They are a tiny team working on a huge complex game. Even with QA there is nothing compared to the thousand and thousands of real players getting their hands on something new with a bunch of interlocking systems- playing for hundreds of cumulative hours between them.

Some things are bound to slip through the cracks every time there is an update to this world, and they already have a track record of fixing things pretty quickly when they identify the source bugs and how to correct them, sometimes working through weekends to do it.

Seeing you be able to recognize the work they put in and not get pissed off about the glitchy aspects (even though I would agree with anyone that they should be prioritized and fixed quickly) made me smile.

Scanning planets from space/in-atmo absolutely does still currently reveal habitable bases.

Try forcing 1080p mode on the Pro.

Scanning planets from space absolutely does still currently reveal habitable bases.

Strange, scanning from space has given me nothing at all so far. I really dont want to force 1080. I like how it looks in 4K and use other 4k content a lot too. Just want the game to run properly!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Strange, scanning from space has given me nothing at all so far.
Do you mean you don't even get a description of the planetary biome and resources from space?

I'm toying around with it now. You may need to have visited the planet once before to get POIs to show up.
I have been to this planet but definitely nowhere near that base and I did not specifically scan for it with a signal booster (though this is a good option if you find a planet you really want to settle on)

It took me six hours to find a terrain manipulator, and even then, it's not the blueprint. I found a multi-tool with one already installed. Still no terrain manipulator blueprint. Nothing but C class ships. :/

Unicorn

But Launching off the ground does right? So it is all take offs? I still have not left my starting planet. I wanted to try and find all the waypoints and animals.
Yes ah, but they have also added a higher frequency of pois having landing pads or beacon spots with black burnout spots that are free parking and don't cost anything to launch from.

It took me six hours to find a terrain manipulator, and even then, it's not the blueprint. I found a multi-tool with one already installed. Still no terrain manipulator blueprint. Nothing but C class ships. :/

Following the story gives you the blueprint.

Probably can get it another way too, not sure. Would make sense.

magawolaz

You get the blueprint if you follow the Traveller quest, early on.

AEREC

Man this game is still grind heavy up front before the story starts going. Then again I did "leave" the Red Ball at my initial crash site.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On second thought, I am not sure if scanning with your ship scanner can turn up habitable bases- or if it ever did or not. I'm pretty sure the one on this planet got added to my UI after completing one of the puzzles in an outpost here.

The easy way is definitely to use a signal booster on a planet you actually want to build on.

mokeyjoe

You get it early on in the story line.

On second thought, I am not sure if scanning with your ship scanner can turn up habitable bases- or if it ever did or not. I'm pretty sure the one on this planet got added to my UI after completing one of the puzzles in an outpost here.

The easy way is definitely to use a signal booster on a planet you actually want to build on.

I'm not sure scanning ever did. But yes, building a signal booster is the easiest way.

Also, other POIs are mainly found by 'asking for directions' from NPCs than scanning. I quite like this.

I've been having a lot of fun with the new update. My game crashed in the middle of playing. I was just heading back to my ship. Now I can't even load my save... crashes every time. Fuuuuck.

vpance

So is it normal it have to do the base missions again? I moved my base pre patch and didn't have any terminals built yet and now I'm getting the starting mission from the Gek overseer.

I also had a bunch of glass and circuit boards stashed and now they've all become obsolete items. Gee thx. Is it because I lost the blueprint to make them or something?

mokeyjoe

So is it normal it have to do the base missions again? I moved my base pre patch and didn't have any terminals built yet and now I'm getting the starting mission from the Gek overseer.

I also had a bunch of glass and circuit boards stashed and now they've all become obsolete items. Gee thx. Is it because I lost the blueprint to make them or something?

Happens to everybody. The base missions have been changed I think.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What happened here... these poor people...

K awesome

I agree- this should become a new OT of sorts. There's more activity than I expected, and I think I'm going to be playing this in the days to come more than I expected (god help me my fucking backlog)

I'm seeing a lot of questions that are actually about the core game unrelated to the new update and it would be fair to contain everything in a new thread since both so much has changed and it's a relaunch point for many users and first timers.

Hey, I just want to say thank you for this post.

There are definitely some really annoying things introduced with this patch, some minor qol inconveniences and some major bugs (I REALLY want those Cargo slots myself ;)).

But Hello Games remains an absolutely tiny developer. They have hired what one might called "intersourced" customer support and QA teams since launch, but at their core they remain a studio with fewer than 20 employees.

They are a tiny team working on a huge complex game. Even with QA there is nothing compared to the thousand and thousands of real players getting their hands on something new with a bunch of interlocking systems- playing for hundreds of cumulative hours between them.

Some things are bound to slip through the cracks every time there is an update to this world, and they already have a track record of fixing things pretty quickly when they identify the source bugs and how to correct them, sometimes working through weekends to do it.

Seeing you be able to recognize the work they put in and not get pissed off about the glitchy aspects (even though I would agree with anyone that they should be prioritized and fixed quickly) made me smile.

Scanning planets from space/in-atmo absolutely does still currently reveal habitable bases.

Is they work they've done in the last year impressive? Yes. But all this new stuff isn't worth shit if the core game is a broken mess. I was really looking forward to checking out all this new stuff, but I can't play the game in its current state. I just can't, all the broken shit annoys me too much.

This game has become too big for HG. They keep adding all this new stuff without fixing what needs to be fixed, and in the process they break even more stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For whatever reason, my Korvax words started working again. My learned total shows up in logs and their conversations have English words filled in. Gek and Vy'keen still show up as 0 for the moment.

Yep, normal. The progression has been tweaks a little for base building from what I hear.
Is they work they've done in the last year impressive? Yes. But all this new stuff isn't worth shit if the core game is a broken mess. I was really looking forward to checking out all this new stuff, but I can't play the game in its current state. I just can't, all the broken shit annoys me too much.
That's understandable. It is not remotely worth playing anything you do not enjoy for even a brief amount of time.

I do not find the core game to be a broken mess and thus we are beginning from very different premises.

mokeyjoe

I've been having a lot of fun with the new update. My game crashed in the middle of playing. I was just heading back to my ship. Now I can't even load my save... crashes every time. Fuuuuck.

I had this happen, the crash on load. I opened up a creative game, turned off base sharing, and then my broken Survival mode save started working again. I have no idea if this will help in your case, as my reason for crashing may be different to yours.

This game has become too big for HG. They keep adding all this new stuff without fixing what needs to be fixed, and in the process they break even more stuff.

Nah, it's always buggy after an update and gets fixed over the weeks shortly after. On PS4 at least, PC might be worse.

Unicorn

You get it early on in the story line.

I'm not sure scanning ever did. But yes, building a signal booster is the easiest way.

Also, other POIs are mainly found by 'asking for directions' from NPCs than scanning. I quite like this.
System scanning for a base did work before.

mokeyjoe

1.2 was pretty solid. It's really just 1.3 that is this buggy. I have a feeling it was rushed out to meet the anniversary date.

The bugs will be fixed as with previous updates.

legacyzero

Banned

I've been playing the game for 3 days with no issues on PS4. Are you playing on an existing save? Because that's where the bugs are. They've already put out one patch literally the next day. They will fix it. They always do. You just gotta put a ticket in. Help em out

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
System scanning for a base did work before.
I'll file a bug just in case then if you are positive about the exact behavior before. Was it when highlighting a planet or just doing a scan in open space with nothing in your crosshair?

Completely normal because those quests have been rewritten from scratch. So even though it's a bit of a pain to need to do them if you've done them before, at least they are (in fact) new content.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, bought this game on release but dropped it about 6 or 7 hours in.
These patches look damn great. Like substantial.

I'll definitely hop back in after the next substantial patch.

Is there a general timeframe between each patch? Like 4 months or something?

Top Bottom