• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nah, it's always buggy after an update and gets fixed over the weeks shortly after. On PS4 at least, PC might be worse.

Some of these issues are old, they have just never bothered to fix them. Others are new.

I've been playing the game for 3 days with no issues on PS4. Are you playing on an existing save? Because that's where the bugs are. They've already put out one patch literally the next day. They will fix it. They always do. You just gotta put a ticket in. Help em out

New save, stuff is broken right out of the gate. Objective progression doesn't work properly, etc.

Do you mean you don't even get a description of the planetary biome and resources from space?

I'm toying around with it now. You may need to have visited the planet once before to get POIs to show up.

I have been to this planet but definitely nowhere near that base and I did not specifically scan for it with a signal booster (though this is a good option if you find a planet you really want to settle on)

No sorry I get the basic info just no base locations etc so far.

legacyzero

Banned
Bringin this image back. I worked hard on it for the OT lol

QtXb.png

Wallpaper (4K)

What's really annoying me is that I apparently can't delete waypoints. The oldest gets probably replaced after a while, but this is really annoying.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man I just cannot find the last couple of species on this planet.
I wonder if there's a single lake somewhere on the surface with aquatic life in it.
What's really annoying me is that I apparently can't delete waypoints. The oldest gets probably replaced after a while, but this is really annoying.

Yeah this is annoying, known bug already at least.

How do you trigger the awakening questline? I only have the Atlas Path one in my log.

It should be relatively automatic but I caught wind of it when I received a transmission after going to space (I continued my old save). Pressing down on the dpad allowed me to answer the communicator and speak to the alien.

Just bought the PC version, but the performance is all over the place. I have a GTX 980 and can't get a consistent frame rate at 1080p. I get anything from 30-60fps. I know the 980 isn't exactly a new card, but I think that this is the first game I've experienced such performance problems at 1080p. It doesn't look like it should be that demanding. Is this normal? How is it running for other PC users?

I have a GTX1080, and I'm running the game at 1440p and I get 60+ fps with only shadows at high; everything else max. I've removed motion blur, because I hate it.

I also have a 6700k. Which CPU do you have?

They improved texture resolution with the recent patch which ultimately effects the performance. They should probably have updated the baseline sys reqs. to accommodate the new texture upgrades.

Textures should only affect VRAM usage.

legacyzero

Banned
It should be relatively automatic but I caught wind of it when I received a transmission after going to space (I continued my old save). Pressing down on the dpad allowed me to answer the communicator and speak to the alien.
This. Your ship's cockpit will make noises when you are receiving a communication. I did t realize it until my chat called it out to me when I was streaming lmao

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I want this game to do well, but this is not really deserved at the moment. They need to fix all the broken shit before this game can be said to be in an acceptable state. It may be a better game content-wise now than at launch, but it's a far more broken one. Games that do not work as they should do not deserve good ratings.

(I was not one of those who lashed out against this game and the devs back then, I liked it for what it was. I'm just very disappointed to come back a year later, excited to try all the new stuff, only to find such a sad, glitchy mess of a game.)

I want this game to do well, but this is not really deserved at the moment. They need to fix all the broken shit before this game can be said to be in an acceptable state. It may be a better game content-wise now than at launch, but it's a far more broken one. Games that do not work as they should do not deserve good ratings.

(I was not one of those who lashed out against this game and the devs back then, I liked it for what it was. I'm just very disappointed to come back a year later, excited to try all the new stuff, only to find such a sad, glitchy mess of a game.)

Not trying to be a contrarian here but can you elaborate on how crippled your updated 1.31 copy of No Man's Sky is that makes it more broken than it was at launch? There are problematic things that happened at launch that have been fixed now, and I've read up a lot on the update, and can't find anyone other than yourself who claims the game is more broken now that it was this time last year. They've even released the 1.31 patch following the 1.3 patch, where they fixed some minor issues fast, and one can assume they're monitoring the situation in order to patch other issues that come up. But more broken now than at launch? I don't get that take.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not trying to be a contrarian here but can you elaborate on how crippled your updated 1.31 copy of No Man's Sky is that makes it more broken than it was at launch? There are problematic things that happened at launch that have been fixed now, and I've read up a lot on the update, and can't find anyone other than yourself who claims the game is more broken now that it was this time last year. They've even released the 1.31 patch following the 1.3 patch, where they fixed some minor issues fast, and one can assume they're monitoring the situation in order to patch other issues that come up. But more broken now than at launch? I don't get that take.

There are more bugs and glitches now than there was at launch (although it certainly wasn't free of them back then either - and some original issues are still there, because they have prioritized new content over fixing what's already there).

13ruce

Banned

Try grabbing a quest from one of the quest npcs at a nearby space station. The quest line just randomly popped up for me as I was doing a delivery.

Thanks will just keep on doing missions and explore etc till it shows up then.

MattAces

There are more bugs and glitches now than there was at launch (although it certainly wasn't free of them back then either - and some original issues are still there, because they have prioritized new content over fixing what's already there).

I think he is expecting you to maybe elaborate what are the errors. You kept saying there's a lot of error without stating it, how are people going to help or fix it.
Your post definitely made the game sound like a completely broken mess after 1.3 when it isn't.

Rezbit

I've had way less issues with 1.3 *shrug*

I've had one crash and clipped through the world but nothing as bad as the constant crashes when warping when it came out.

What are you basing this on? Where is it documented that the game is more broken now than it was at launch? Also I disagree they prioritized adding in new content prior to pushing out fixes, that is demonstrably incorrect. They were pushing out fixes not long after launch, far earlier than the updates that started hitting this year.

Gothos

Bought, played 3 hours, bored as fuck. My worst gaming purchase and worst spent 30$ of last 12 months. Oh, and the survival mode is utter shit - completely artificial difficulty having nothing to do with actual challenging gameplay or strategy. Wish I bought it on Steam. Ehh, lesson learned.

To be fair the game was a lot more buggy when it released, most people had multiple crashes when playing and there were people stopping because of it.

I remember hello games saying they were working through the crash reports and prioritising the work for the issues that affected the most people. I also remember a statement shortly after that they had eliminated 96% of the causes of the crashing.

Does this new update have issues? Yeah it does but to say it's unplayable when it runs better than the version I put around 60 hours into for the platinum trophy for I think it's hyperbole to suggest it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I think people should choose to emphasize whatever they like when reviewing a game, and it's important also to bear in mind that not everyone has identical experiences playing a sandbox like this. I have encountered minor bugs, but have also found most systems including brand new, revised, and old to be functioning properly for me even on an existing save. I am basically enjoying the shit out of my time coming back to the game since briefly playing again in April. The biggest issue I want fixed is the Cargo slot upgrades, which are a new and welcome addition but are currently just not working right. Though it sucks, this still hasn't affected my enjoyment that much. You would be welcome to leave a review relating your current negative experience of course just like mine would currently fall on the positive side.

But regardless of disagreement about the current state of the game or where ratings come from, it is outright false to describe the game as "far more broken" now than at launch. At launch there were several showstopper bugs some of which prevented people from even acquiring a hyperdrive, could get their ships stranded without the ability to be repaired, could get themselves stranded in space stations, along with a slew of minor bugs that were still more obtrustive than the ones we are currently seeing despite fewer systems involve. Including a bug directly related to a preorder bonus I didn't want in the first place constantly disrupting my UI and some basic multitool upgrades having the opposite or no effect There were a bunch of other issues that wouldn't have been characterized as bugs but were deep design flaws that have been corrected since then too. I played a lot of the game at that time and I am confident there is absolutely no comparison. I would think it's more likely that your personal experience is unlucky than that the game is fundamentally "more broken" as it exists right now, even with newly introduced bugs.

You're probably instead comparing the state the game was in around two weeks post launch when there had been I believe 4 support-oriented patches already.

Either way, it's completely fair to take from your experience that the game is a disappointment and rate it poorly, etc. You would probably be better served to check back after one or two more hotfixes are pushed, and if you find no more enjoyment then to just shelve the thing at that point.
Open space would work.
Thx, not sure if it is a bug or design change (it certainly isn't difficult to find habitable bases now), but will file it just in case.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think he is expecting you to maybe elaborate what are the errors. You kept saying there's a lot of error without stating it, how are people going to help or fix it.
Your post definitely made the game sound like a completely broken mess after 1.3 when it isn't.

Objective completion doesn't work properly, planet scanning doesn't work properly, undiscovered POIs stay undiscovered (the question marks don't go away), cargo upgrades don't work, etc. And this is all on a new save, people on old saves are obviously having even more issues.

Most of this may seem insignificant, but a lot of small issues add up to a game I can't stand playing. That's just me, this stuff really bugs me.

To be fair the game was a lot more buggy when it released, most people had multiple crashes when playing and there were people stopping because of it.

I remember hello games saying they were working through the crash reports and prioritising the work for the issues that affected the most people. I also remember a statement shortly after that they had eliminated 96% of the causes of the crashing.

Does this new update have issues? Yeah it does but to say it's unplayable when it runs better than the version I put around 60 hours into for the platinum trophy for I think it's hyperbole to suggest it.

Yeah, the crashing at launch sucked (although I only had it happen once or twice, when warping), but there are more small issues all over the place now.

Jumped back into the game with 1.3 - and I think one of the quests may have glitched.

I'm doing the quest where you craft the warp fuel, and I did it and put it in the hyperdrive, but now it's still showing I have to craft the warp fuel.

Am I missing something?

I had this happen, the crash on load. I opened up a creative game, turned off base sharing, and then my broken Survival mode save started working again. I have no idea if this will help in your case, as my reason for crashing may be different to yours.

Thanks for the reply. I happened to delete my save before reading this though. But I did turn base sharing off for the new game just in case.

Newlove

I think I'm screwed...my main story mission requires me to do Scientist missions to unlock a certain blueprint, but ever since I moved my base it keeps telling me to go back to the Scientist to complete a side mission. It's saying he is back in the old galaxy but when I go there of course my old base no longer exists and the waypoint is just floating in space. My new base doesn't let me interact with the Scientist, it just says he is busy and I should leave him. I tried removing the desk and putting it back but no luck. My best option now is to rebuild a whole new base in a different galaxy. Hope that works.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Horrible lagging inventory, I hope it's known and will be fixed soon. :|

Jumped back into the game with 1.3 - and I think one of the quests may have glitched.

I'm doing the quest where you craft the warp fuel, and I did it and put it in the hyperdrive, but now it's still showing I have to craft the warp fuel.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply. I happened to delete my save before reading this though. But I did turn base sharing off for the new game just in case.

I think I'm screwed...my main story mission requires me to do Scientist missions to unlock a certain blueprint, but ever since I moved my base it keeps telling me to go back to the Scientist to complete a side mission. It's saying he is back in the old galaxy but when I go there of course my old base no longer exists and the waypoint is just floating in space. My new base doesn't let me interact with the Scientist, it just says he is busy and I should leave him. I tried removing the desk and putting it back but no luck. My best option now is to rebuild a whole new base in a different galaxy. Hope that works.

:)

Not a broken game, no no...

If the previous updates are anything to go by, we'll see multiple patches in the coming weeks fixing most of the issues. It was the same story when the 1.1 and 1.2 updates released, with numerous bugs and glitches, but HG really showed they were on the ball. Sure it sucks, but it will be fixed.

mario_O

Bought, played 3 hours, bored as fuck. My worst gaming purchase and worst spent 30$ of last 12 months. Oh, and the survival mode is utter shit - completely artificial difficulty having nothing to do with actual challenging gameplay or strategy. Wish I bought it on Steam. Ehh, lesson learned.

there's zero strategy or "challeging gameplay". it's a survival -grind fest- game for people who enjoy exploring. if that's not your cup of tea...

belvedere

Junior Butler
Patches for Foundation and Pathfinder released quickly, and we've already seen some of the big bugs fixed in 1.31 and it's been what, 48 hours?

Give it time. Or at the very least try as hard at remaining objective as you are speculative and pessimistic.

there's zero strategy or "challeging gameplay". it's a survival -grind fest- game for people who enjoy exploring. if that's not your cup of tea...
To be fair there's a decent amount of strategy and thought in survival, especially on perma death. It does at least force you to consider your actions before adventuring out, and can lead to some very tight spots if you get too confident.

Tigress

Am I the only one who hates the new space combat? I mean it wasn't special before but now I find it almost impossible (like I have to hit straight on and they always hit me dead on).

Rezbit

Am I the only one who hates the new space combat? I mean it wasn't special before but now I find it almost impossible (like I have to hit straight on and they always hit me dead on).

You need to look out for the white circle that floats in front of the enemy ship and shoot at that.

Yeah, the crashing at launch sucked (although I only had it happen once or twice, when warping), but there are more small issues all over the place now.
I went ages with the game originally with no problems then suddenly had half a dozen all in short succession.

While the smaller bugs are annoying they are as you said small and something that is easily avoided for the most part for now until a fix comes in. I would prefer this to major bugs preventing further progression.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Starting a base from scratch is what people are recommending for the moment yeah, starting with the Gek overseer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when you build a beacon to search for components, is there a way to specify which one?

The icon it gives me is always the same, and this moon is supposed to have nickel and aluminum (what I need for a quest) but I can only find nickel and its starting to get annoying :(

So I've hit a UI oversight. I swap my starting ship for a new one that's very long. What this means is I can't access the technology inventory because the general inventory lays over it. They should let us use L2/R2 to cycle between the different inventories.

DrBo42

So I've hit a UI oversight. I swap my starting ship for a new one that's very long. What this means is I can't access the technology inventory because the general inventory lays over it. They should let us use L2/R2 to cycle between the different inventories.

Submit a bug report.

Edit: beaten badly

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I agree with those who are saying survival mode is lame. It's pretty much a grind fest. Most of the crafting cost is doubled (or more), your life support seems to drain twice as fast, and launching costs all of your thruster fuel. 80% of my time on the first planet was spent wandering around trying to find zinc, thamium and plutonium just to scrape by. It wasn't fun. The only challenge was traversing the landscape to get to the small amount I was able to find.

I get off the planet and get attacked by pirates who were much stronger than me. They kill me and I lose everything in my inventory. Fuck that. Going back to normal mode.

Wish there was a middle ground between normal and survival because normal is almost too easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
when you build a beacon to search for components, is there a way to specify which one?

The icon it gives me is always the same, and this moon is supposed to have nickel and aluminum (what I need for a quest) but I can only find nickel and its starting to get annoying :(
What "beacon to search for components" are you referring to?

The thing that is called a beacon in-game that you can construct is just a permanent waypoint. Like you build it somewhere you want to be able to get back to. Maybe you're talking about something else though...

That is actually hilarious... definitely submit it. Can we see the ship?

Top Bottom