• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Question about base building: Once I will find the planet i want to live on, will I be able to explore the other parts of the universe and be easily able to return to home or not?

Yes, you can teleport to your base from the station of any system.

Then from your base you can teleport to one of the last 3 or 4 stations visited.

Lamptramp

Question about base building: Once I will find the planet i want to live on, will I be able to explore the other parts of the universe and be easily able to return to home or not?

Yep! Any space station has a teleporter which will return you to your base and from there back to the same station (I think you can recall the last 2 or 3 stations as well). Your ship will be back at home base too and you can continue flying around that system as normal.

Have to say as someone that had a ton of hours in the game pre-1.3 I am really enjoying the constant mix of familiarity and learning new things. Everything just feels far more tight, and it's really enjoyable to witness. I was happy with what NMS had become before, but this patch has elevated it into something accomplished, and something that actively supports your fun.

Number of bugs left to fix but this game really is at a stage I never expected to see it at, and that's genuinely a novel experience rare in games (to the extent that it is here). Can't believe there's more to come.

PepperedHam

Unfortunately have to put it down until some more patches come out. My Atlas Path is totally stalled due to the game skipping over required blueprints for the Atlas Seeds. This bums me out so much. The realization that I was hit with a bug like that totally soured me. I love the game in its current state, but I'm super into the story right now and not being able to continue until whenever really puts a damper on things.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a possible workaround for it? I tried searching on reddit, reported the bug, and only found one or two people who mentioned something similar.

EDIT: Found quite a few people on reddit with the same issue. Hoping it gets fixed soon, loving this update.

I finally found two of the new exotic planets, holy crap this update is incredible. ლ(´ڡ`ლ)

Spoilers if you don't want to see some of the new worlds:

https://giphy.com/gifs/cRZcgGEBn0HiE/html5
v2vPA3X.jpg

AvF8C7S.jpg

JoeNut

Cant wait to jump back into this, i see there's been some post update patches, have they improved the playability? i saw there were numerous bugs

Grinchy

Banned
On normal, can you ever lock you out of anything? Like stuck on a planet, die while exploring because you have no charge/life support? I always feel like I am need to manage and constantly look at my meters, haha.

I find it extremely hard to die in Normal. I haven't even come close to it yet. I wish there was some kind of Medium mode.

Anyone having trouble with the ship sensitivity on PC? The Flight Sensitivity seems to only control inertia and roll speed. As soon as I move my mouse far enough in any direction while cruising at low speed (like during combat) the sensitivity goes into overdrive and the ship whips around like crazy.

Is it a bug, gameplay design or just my crap ship?

ParityBit

Question about upgrading your ship. Is it random how many spots need to be fixed or it always the same? My current ship has about half of it's storage space broken and I am wondering if I should fly around and find a new (new) ship instead of fixing it.

Pro Tip for Noobs: Exiting your ship on a Freighter doesn't save the game. Don't ask me why. If your game is unstable get to nearest space station as soon as possible after warping into a system or destroying ships.

Alastor3

About survival mode: beside that game trying to kill you more, is there some reward that the game give (more loots, more money for trade, etc.) or it's the same game but more difficult?

Lamptramp

About survival mode: beside that game trying to kill you more, is there some reward that the game give (more loots, more money for trade, etc.) or it's the same game but more difficult?

The latter, oh and a trophy for reaching the centre while in that mode.

I'm still surprised at just how much of a difference the lighting and textures make across the landscapes now. It transforms some planets.

You keep hearing the tired shot of "all planets are the same" or "once you've walked for ten seconds you've seen it all" but I've always felt if you take the time to actually walk around for a while on foot and give it a chance then you'll find that they vary significantly and even the most dull planet at first glance can harbour nice views.

Hackbert

i guess i will also jump back into the game. i played the normal way a bit but i have lost every bit of orientation and story. best to start over..

The ๖ۜBronx;246404268 said:
I'm still surprised at just how much of a difference the lighting and textures make across the landscapes now. It transforms some planets.

You keep hearing the tired shot of "all planets are the same" or "once you've walked for ten seconds you've seen it all" but I've always felt if you take the time to actually walk around for a while on foot and give it a chance then you'll find that they vary significantly and even the most dull planet at first glance can harbour nice views.

It's a shame you can't tweak the Light Shafts like with Fallout 4's console commands. I find it makes the lighting way too bright most of the time so I had to turn it off. It's like not wearing sunglasses or using the sun visor in your car during summer and looking at the sun.

Pro Tip: When talking to NPCs if you Ask for Dialect Help first the option to Barter disappears but if you select to Barter first, the option to Ask for Dialect Help will still be available.

It's a shame you can't tweak the Light Shafts like with Fallout 4's console commands. I find it makes the lighting way too bright most of the time so I had to turn it off.
I'm a complete sucker for god rays so I don't mind it. Can understand how they could get in the way though, and I'd never argue against more settings to tweak.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I started a new game for 1.3...

I now find myself 2 jumps from the starting system with no warp cells and only blueprints for antimatter and warp cells.

How fuck am I supposed to get electron vapor? I can't find anyone selling it and I obviously don't have an atlas pass yet. The only mission I have is to go to the atlas thing.

I'm pretty sure the game used to give you the blueprints for suspension fluid and electron vapor.

The way you get these blueprints has changed a bit, but you do get all of them by just following the Awakenings quests.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Pro Tip for Noobs: Exiting your ship on a Freighter doesn't save the game. Don't ask me why. If your game is unstable get to nearest space station as soon as possible after warping into a system or destroying ships.

But exiting your ship on your own freighter saves the game.

Maybe because of the randomness of NPC freighters.

It's just the one 4-economy cycle and the other 3-economy I described:

Mining -> Manufacturing -> High Tech -> Power Generation -> Mining
Trading -> Processing -> Research -> Trading

The descriptions that fall into each are kinda straightforward once you know that there are only 7 types but a couple were confused at first to me (e.g. I incorrectly guessed Ore Processing comes after Ore Extraction but it doesn't).

It does show in-game if you 'Discover' a planet and check its Discovery menu entry, or if you look at the planet description on a trade terminal -- it will show an icon that represents 1 of the 7 Trade Types.

Then, every Trade Item in highlighted texted says which Economy type it's meant for -- that's where I got the 7 titles for the Economy types, BTW (e.g. I didn't just think personally think Mining summarized the 4 descriptions -- Trade Items from the 'Pickaxe icon' Economy type are called Mining Trade Items; same for High-Tech, Manufacturing, etc).

That said, that's a bit slow because you basically need to physically travel to every type and keep track :p

Basically it's the following:

Economy Trade Cycle: Mining -> Manufacturing -> High Tech -> Power Generation -> Mining

Mining -> sells to Manufacturing
Icon: pickaxe
Planetary economy descriptions = Mining, Ore Extraction, Minerals, Prospecting

Manufacturing -> sells to: High Tech
Icon: gears
Planetary economy descriptions: Manufacturing, Mass Production, Industrial, Construction

High-Tech -> sells to: Power Generation
Icon: microchip
Planetary economy descriptions: High-Tech, Technology, Nano-Construction, Engineering

Power Generation -> sells to: Mining
Icon: battery
Planetary economy descriptions: Power Generation, Fuel Generation, Energy Supply, High Voltage

Complete cycle:
-->> Mining, Ore Extraction, Minerals, Prospecting -->> Manufacturing, Mass Production, Industrial, Construction -->> High-Tech, Technology, Nano-Construction, Engineering -->> Power Generation, Fuel Generation, Energy Supply, High Voltage -->> Mining, Ore Extraction, Minerals, Prospecting -->>

Economy Trade Cycle:Trading -> Processing -> Research -> Trading

Trading -> sells to: Processing
Icon: pocketwatch
Planetary economy descriptions: Trading, Shipping, Mercantile, Commercial

Processing -> sells to: Research
Icon: flask
Planetary economy descriptions: Ore Processing, Metal Processing, Material Fusion, Alchemy

Research -> sells to: Trading
Icon: DNA
Planetary economy descriptions: Research, Science, Experimental, Mathematical

Complete cycle:
-->>Trading, Shipping, Mercantile, Commercial -->> Ore Processing, Metal Processing, Material Fusion, Alchemy-->>Research, Science, Experimental, Mathematical -->> Trading, Shipping, Mercantile, Commercial -->>

I think that's all the descriptions but as a disclaimer I've spent probably 90% of my time doing the Mining cycle so there could be descriptions I've missed.

I mentioned that Wealth Levels are the same but I think they're even more straightforward, but a few examples I quickly remember:

Wealth Level Types: Descriptions

Rich: Wealthy, Affluent, Booming
Medium: Moderate, Satisfactory, Stable, Sustainable, Medium Supply
Poor: Failing, Low Supply, Destitute, Developing, Fledgling

There's quite a few but I think it's generally easy to tell which is which. You can also manually notice the different Wealth Levels by comparing the prices of items in each manually, or more easily just use an Economy Scanner and you can notice each has a range of percentage change (above/below Galactic Average) that I described in the main post earlier.

Thanks for the additional detail. I spent more time working through your process last night and I'm getting closer. Found this post to help identify the places you wanna go by star color also, which is useful when throwing the economy filter on the galaxy map.

http://gameranx.com/features/id/115...sing-get-rich-quick-economy-tips-trade-guide/

My problem now is simply that I just don't have a big enough ship. I have a hauler with 27 slots and I feel like I need more slots, since obviously you can only single stack in exosuit.

Also, your BTW tip about resources in freighters is suuuuper helpful, and actually helpful outside of trading, period. There is zero reason to not just craft warp cells in freighters because they sell everything you need from carbon to Thamium to build. Maybe you save some money with a V1 Atlas pass scavenging containers, but manually scanning for Thamium is so time consuming.

SomTervo

Just when I thought I've seen it all in this game (granted I've been playing for only 2 days) it manages to surprise me even more. Underwater exploration is a photo mode fest! Luckily my home planet is 80% water with a bunch of exotic green islands. There is no fauna or hazard environment either. I think I got lucky. As soon as I got my exovehicle I tested it out on the ocean... And it actually works!

jmU7vwf.jpg

x46rWLW.jpg

iqkbszJ.jpg

This is absolutely awesome. What an idea.

My base planet is 80% water, too!!! "Jungle" type.

Check out this dumb lookin thing:

What a good game

Like a Serama rooster spliced with a bug

serama-2.jpg

This game is amazing , now I remember why I loved it at launch , and it's even better now . Finally found a good lush planet (except for the cold rain storms), lots of gold to mine .

Think I will be here for awhile . Also found a 26 slotter crashed ship which was all broken decided to trade it for a 16 slotter that just looked cooler and it didn't cost me anything .

I just love exploring worlds , this is one of the best looking games going around imo , I adore its art style and it's really impressive tech and amazing what a small team can achieve .

I think all I want now is slightly better combat mechanics and more things that fight back combined with some cooler animal behaviours and this is basically my perfect game .

void666

Banned
I was driving my exocraft and never before have i killed so many animals. They spawn so close i can't avoid hitting them. And the planet is covered with wild life.

And funny how the buggy can smash rocks like it's nothing but those damn plants can still damage it.

Is it possible to put a base on those?
Please be possible....

If it has a Habitable base (which it should if it has any buildings) then yes.

I've seen a streamer called Nomanis build one on a new exotic with bubbles. While the planet looks like a Barbie's fart, those bubbles look incredibly beautiful at night time.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
If I move my base to a new planet, does the whole thing get transported over or do I need to start from scratch?

I'm bored of my home planet but I don't want to rebuild.

E92 M3

If I move my base to a new planet, does the whole thing get transported over or do I need to start from scratch?

I'm bored of my home planet but I don't want to rebuild.

You will have to rebuild, but get back half of your materials if you don't disassemble it yourself.

Literally haven't been able to play at all today until right now but I did put this together.

I can update it with any additional posts people make that are good references.

--

General​
No Man's Sky Wiki (not comprehensive, but very active and being updated with Atlas Rises info often)
Basic Tips and Tricks
Which Resources to Sell, Use, and Keep (credit ichtyander)
Survival Mode​
The first rule of Survival: never land on a planet without enough Plutonium to launch again (200), no matter how safe you think it is.
Tips for Early Game Survival Mode (credit KyanMehwulfe)
Remember, Survival is not "Hard Mode." It requires fundamentally different play and forethought than Normal.
Trading​
Trading/Economies Primer Part 1 and Part 2 (credit KyanMehwulfe)
Modding
Milamber's Mod Guide (25+ mods with descriptions and links, credit Milamber)
Toggleable 3rd Person Flight Mode
Big Things 3.0 (more size variations of flora, especially trees, and some other objects including much bigger ones. Does not alter which assets are generated on a planet, just size. Do not use simultaneously with other generation mods like Shaidak's Generation)

Tagging this post for later. Thanks.

So a question for Survival/Perma Death players:

Are lush paradise planets still exclusively extreme sentinel planets, or are there exceptions now?
From my experience of playing permadeath for a few days, all of the nice planets I've landed on have extreme sentinels. I've found you can generally ignore them if you just punch jetpack away when they start scanning you. You can also kill them quickly before reinforcements come.

13ruce

Banned
If it has a Habitable base (which it should if it has any buildings) then yes.

I've seen a streamer called Nomanis build one on a new exotic with bubbles. While the planet looks like a Barbie's fart, those bubbles look incredibly beautiful at night time.

Amazing! i really want a base on one of those beautiful new exotic planets when i finally find some.

Mudo

Anyone have advice on how to find abandoned ships? I've never seen one played about 10 hours since last week. i need a new shop. same with multi tool - all the ones in the wall at outposts have been like 2 million to buy and i don't have near that much.

Loving this with the neeesr update. this feels close to what i expected the game to be at launch. Very happy Hello Games didn't take the money and run last year when they easily could have done so.

Unfortunately have to put it down until some more patches come out. My Atlas Path is totally stalled due to the game skipping over required blueprints for the Atlas Seeds. This bums me out so much. The realization that I was hit with a bug like that totally soured me. I love the game in its current state, but I'm super into the story right now and not being able to continue until whenever really puts a damper on things.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a possible workaround for it? I tried searching on reddit, reported the bug, and only found one or two people who mentioned something similar.

EDIT: Found quite a few people on reddit with the same issue. Hoping it gets fixed soon, loving this update.

I'm missing the blue one I think. Sucks. First bug I've hit too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I need to find a multi-tool with a boltcaster or grenades to open the doors to manufacturing facilities. I'm still on the starter tool. I'm literally 2 jumps into the game. :(

This really shouldn't be this difficult, should it? I thought 1.3 was supposed to do a better job of guiding you through the early game. So far this is far worse than even launch.

What quest? The Atlas path? That shows on the galactic map.

E: I feel like I have to be missing something since I followed the missions, but I've come slamming to a halt against a roadblock that will take hours to grind past.
This is puzzling. You've made two jumps and gotten the antimatter recipe, does that mean you've crafted antimatter successfully? I am surprised you could get to that point without the recipes for suspension fluid and electron vapor. You are positive you don't have them (i.e. bought suspension fluid and tried to craft)?

Since you can craft warp cells, you can still buy antimatter to be able to travel, so I'd just keep following whatever quest you have in your log.

Is there a way to know, before warping to a system, if they're going to have the specific planet types to get certain rare plants? e.g. can you know if a system will have a cold planet so you can be sure you'll find frost crystals (or whatever this farmer wants me to get to make some frost plant)?

Or do you need to warp to each system and then scan all the planets to find out?

Cool :) I just updated it with Milamber's latest modding guide, Kyan's post about the different types of system economies, and the gameranx page Ronin linked to about the Economy Scanner (that was useful for me)

NeoGAF NMS Community Resource Hub

You're doin the lord's work Hawkian =)

I need to find a multi-tool with a boltcaster or grenades to open the doors to manufacturing facilities. I'm still on the starter tool. I'm literally 2 jumps into the game. :(

This really shouldn't be this difficult, should it? I thought 1.3 was supposed to do a better job of guiding you through the early game. So far this is far worse than even launch.

What quest? The Atlas path? That shows on the galactic map.

E: I feel like I have to be missing something since I followed the missions, but I've come slamming to a halt against a roadblock that will take hours to grind past.

I mentioned on the previous page, but if you have the ability to craft warp cells, most of what you need should be available to buy from merchants on freighters.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm missing the blue one I think. Sucks. First bug I've hit too.
Is that this same thing being described here? https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...want_to_keep_1_of_each_heres_a_chart/dloirgs/

I think it is what was described in this 1.32 patch note: "Fixed an issue that allowed players to miss Atlas Stations, which prevented progress. This will prevent new occurrences of the issue, a fix for those who’ve already experienced it is under investigation"

So it shouldn't occur for anyone starting to collect that stuff post 1.32 but they are still working on a fix for people who have been hit with the bug already. Sorry :(

Regarding the bug, it -might- be possible to grab the missing ones if you go to old systems the galaxy map flagged as terminals but you happened to go to one out of the order it kept spawning them. I really don't know, sorry. This is all I can think of.

For an "atlas ending" do you have to keep one of each seed type?! That's absurd amounts of very rare resources! Let's steal from Reddit exactly how much of everything you'd need of stuff for that:

1 - CAPTURED NANODE x10 = 2000 Iridium
2 - ENGLOBED SHADE x9 = 1800 Copper
3 - NOOSPHERIC ORB x8 = 1600 Nickel
4 - DARK MATTER x7 = 1400 Aluminum
5 - DAWN'S END x6 = 1200 Gold
6 - PHOTIC JADE x5 = 1000 Emeril
7 - STATE PHASURE x4 = 800 Cymatygen
8 - NOVAE RECLAIMENT x3 = 600 Rubeum
9 - MODIFIED QUANTA x2 = 400 Viridium
10 - HEART OF THE SUN x1 = 200 Nanite Clusters

You know...... other than the Cymatygen... I think I have all of that. I hate myself. In total I doubt that's actually all that much more than what you need for installing all the highest level weapons upgrades on your ship, and those also use the even more rare elements than these.

Anyone have advice on how to find abandoned ships? I've never seen one played about 10 hours since last week. i need a new shop. same with multi tool - all the ones in the wall at outposts have been like 2 million to buy and i don't have near that much.
A ship crash is one of the random events that can appear when you do a "get directions" or respond to stuff at terminals. Probably a rare event when you do a scan from long distance, too. Usually, if you keep looking, you'll find an outpost somewhere on a planet with a distress signal at the console inside. There used to be a bug where you could spawn almost infinite crashed ships but I'm going to assume that's gone. Basically, find a planet with good conditions that has a lot of inhabited places and if you keep poking terminals and talking to aliens the RNG will come up your way eventually.

Tip: Even if it's a ship you don't want, if it has components you should temporarily switch over and dismantle any parts. Claim the new ship, dismantle, then move those elements back over when you move back to your first.

Top Bottom