• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

marciocdb

Banned
I actually don't use triple buffering, I use vsync on fast in the NVCP.

Though I would for triple buffering you need to set vsync to just on in the NVCP.

Regarding triple buffering, disable v sync in game, and enable it (and triple buffering) via NVCP

Enabling Triple Buffering helped A LOT!
Performance is now a locked 60fps!

I'm wondering why developers did not include the triple buffering option inside the game's own graphics settings... or... turned it on by default...

Seiniyta

On the Steam experimental branch there is a new patch:

• Fixed issue where player bases were given the name "Unknown Base" rather than a generated name
  • Fixed S-class ships having incorrect pricing and numbers of slots
  • Added rockets to starting ship in creative default save game
  • Added new icon for solo difficulty AI ships
  • Fixed Albumen Pearl plants using the wrong name on their interaction labels
  • Fixed the landing marker being visible in some fighter cockpits
  • Fixed texturing issue seen with some combinations of AMD GPU and drivers
  • Added and improved audio at the ending of the Atlas path
  • Added and improved audio for terrain editing
  • Improved audio for missions
  • Improvement to vehicle boost timings
  • Made marker for rare graves stay up for the same time as other object markers
  • Prevented trees in frozen biomes spawning close to or intersecting buildings
  • Fixed issue where travelling through the centre of the galaxy could sometimes take you back to the same galaxy
  • Fixed issue where mission waypoints on the galactic map would not be for your current mission
  • Improved UI error messages relating to missions on the galactic map
  • Improved ship speed output on ship HUD
  • Increased guidance for finding Convergence Cubes as part of the scientist mission
  • Prevented some tutorials (for example for life support) from being shown in your log
  • Prevented Artemis being visible in the holohub after they should have left
  • Protected against some cases where missions can send you to depot which has already been destroyed
  • Improved binocular scanning for background objects
  • Prevented binocular scanning flicking between multiple objects
  • Added ability to scan all building types and fixed their displayed names
    [*]Added ability to scan ships
  • Fixed text truncation on binocular HUD
    [*]Added the option to display temperatures in Celcius, Fahrenheit or Kelvin regardless of locale
  • Fixed display of longer planet names on the discovery page UI
    [*]Added ability to cancel in progress missions
  • Added faction icons on the galactic map
  • Improved ship handling when booster upgrades are installed
  • Fixed mission notifications showing an incorrect icon for Electron Vapour
  • Fixed an issue where portals you've returned through could not be updated to a different address
  • Improved visuals around icons for different inventories
  • Added joypad and keyboard controls for switching between inventories
  • Fixed galactic map showing joypad prompts for changing filters when playing on mouse and keyboard
    [*]Fixed issue where players could lose the teleport destination they needed to complete the Mind Arc mission
  • Fixed players getting stuck in an interaction with the armourer if they hadn't yet built a terminal
  • Fix for visual artifacts from transparent objects showing through the warp effect
  • Reduced cases where terrain editing changes are lost when reloading a save
  • Reduced difficulty of the final armourer mission
  • Improved low flight mode handling
  • Fixed crash in string translation when loading certain saves
  • Added missing scan event icon to the Antimatter tutorial
    [*]Fixed terrain editor being built with full charge
  • Fixed occasional hang in displaying some multi-byte characters
  • Improved saving and loading of terrain edits
    [*]Fixed issue where upgrading from a previous save would cause player bases to be floating or underground
  • Fixed very occasional crash in rendering
  • Fixed occasional crash relating to destructable objects
  • Prevented the interaction camera occasionally triggering at inappropriate times
  • Fixed the Farmer displaying the wrong text for their final mission
  • Prevented pinned missions occasionally being deselected on warp
  • Fixed issue where players could become stuck in the final atlas station
  • Improved automatically selecting missions from NPCs in your base when they begin
  • Improved pricing of base building parts in normal mode

The experimental version can be accessed using this access code: 3xperimental

highlighted some of the more noteworthy stuff.

I believe that was fixed in the previous patch.

Not for all (like my gf)

We’ve fixed an issue that caused base NPCs to stop responding after claiming a new base location. This will prevent new occurrences of the issue, a fix for those who have already experienced it is under investigation

She was quite far too. Hope they do this soon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
On the Steam experimental branch there is a new patch:

highlighted some of the more noteworthy stuff.

Weird that they refuse to fix waypoints not staying discovered, and scanning from ship not discovering stuff. They just seem like simple issues compared to some of this stuff. Guess it's not prioritized.

Great work overall though.

Impressive list of fixes.

Added joypad and keyboard controls for switching between inventories

Is this real life. Keep those non-mouse inventory controls coming, HG!

Reduced difficulty of the final armourer mission

And this is after I spent an hour last night upgrading my ship. I was looking forward to the challenge.

Oh man, they are nerfing terrain editor! That bad boy costs so much to recharge.

I don't like this change :(

Perhaps they only really intended the terrain editor for Creative mode. Then again, considering the prices of the freighters now, I really don't know what their philosophy is behind prices/gating anymore.

ParityBit

Another dumb question .....

What happens when you die in the game? On foot or in your ship? I haven't yet ..... but seems like it will be likely.

JoeBoy101

I struggle to find a developer who had a worse disconnect between marketing campaign and released product.

I equally struggle to find a developer who has had more resolute, organized, and responsive post-release support for a product. Blizzard with Diablo III is the only one that comes immediately to mind.

Just generally in awe in how they attack this game at times with fixes. Still a ways to go given the bug reports, but big kudos in the work being done.

E92 M3

Yeah, I'm so going to install a mod for it, if one exists for it already that is.

Unless they make it cheaper to recharge...I don't understand their intention at all.

Impressive list of fixes.

Is this real life. Keep those non-mouse inventory controls coming, HG!

And this is after I spent an hour last night upgrading my ship. I was looking forward to the challenge.

Perhaps they only really intended the terrain editor for Creative mode. Then again, considering the prices of the freighters now, I really don't know what their philosophy is behind prices/gating anymore.

The prices are like F2P games, but it's a fun game :p

Another dumb question .....

What happens when you die in the game? On foot or in your ship? I haven't yet ..... but seems like it will be likely.

If you die on foot, you lose your exosuit inventory, and respawn near where you died (or last saved?). if you ship blows up, you go back to the nearest space station, and lose your ship inventory.

upgrades stay in tact.

at least this is what has happened to me in both scenarios

Tried the experimental branch a bit. Unfortunately the AMD texture issues are still there despite what the patch notes say.

Taking missions is now faster, the notification for the acquired mission is shorter and it brings you back directly into the missions list instead of taking you out of it completely and forcing you to talk to the vendor all over again. And once you choose your missions, you go back into the main vendor menu and you can now choose a new "Abandon Missions" option to quit the ones you don't want to do.

That improved ship handling note might've done something because I feel using the mouse during flight feels less jerky. Variable framerate and changing flight speeds made the whole thing control horribly since day one, but it feels different now, might have to play longer, not sure.

Scanning ships with your visor just adds the designation "ship" in your visor once you scan it, it doesn't show any more data than that.

A very interesting thing happened to me just now, I've gotten pretty far with the Mercenary Guild standing and got a few missions to raid a factory (just interact with a terminal to steal data), but then I got a very quick notification that I didn't manage to read in time and got a message that the data was wiped and I failed the mission. So far none of the missions had a fail state, so I don't know if this was added in the new experimental patch or maybe it was there all along, I just didn't have a high enough guild standing to get these missions. Not sure what exactly happened or what I should've done but it's interesting to see that you can actually fail missions.

EDIT:
Oh wow, the missions have been wiped from the Log window, but the mission vendor still shows them as "In Progress" and can't be abandoned. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting stuff about the frequency of seeing other players' discoveries!

I'm somewhere in the middle in that it's happened to me all of twice. Once an isolated system that I was surprised to find was already discovered pretty thouroughly after jumping to it at random, and the other one, I got onto someone else's Atlas Path and was jumping along discovered systems for 6 or 7 systems in a row. I have seen other "Contacts" on the Galactic Map though.
I know about this, but really only from the patch notes (
"a glitch in the simulation"
). Did we know this before 1.3, or did HG just put a massive spoiler in their update notes?
You can piece it together from quite a bit of ancillary lore even from moment one, but the Atlas Path- original version, but assuming it's still kept in the writing of the reworked one- eventually makes it pretty explicit. Though, from the bits I have seen spoiled, not as explicit the new stuff (but I mean that in a good way).

edit: Oh yay new patch coming!

Canceling missions is cool. Improved ship handling sounds good. Not much else here that affects me but some good fixes to common issues.

Kinda surprised to see nothing about freighter pricing.
Yesterday I found an S-class Ship in a wreckage and made it mine. Are they supposed to be rare/expensive?
Yes.

I feel that finding locations on a planet is harder than before. I remember in vanilla you could "chain" things like finding shipwrecks or manufacturing facilities, because of the abundance of beacons you could find.

Now Im lucky if I can find any building on a planet lol.

Mindlog

Does the trade depot flip still work?

Land next to a depot. Purchase ship. Fly ship to freighter. Bring crappy ship down next to your first ship. Exchange ships.

I don't want to lose my max standard slot ship. While only a C class it's worth more than all of my other crappy ships. Wouldn't mind upgrading those.

BSpot

Did I hit some kind of fortuitous glitch in the Exocraft base building mission? The last mission has me hitting up a terminal to siphon like 36k units. So I do it, walk away, get in my ship and notice the mission marker is still on the terminal.

"oh, did I not end the transaction right?"

I do it again.
And again. And again. And again. And again.

I've now hit it for 1million units, by increments of 36k. With no signs of it stopping...

I feel that finding locations on a planet is harder than before. I remember in vanilla you could "chain" things like finding shipwrecks or manufacturing facilities, because of the abundance of beacons you could find.

From a gameplay immersion perspective, I find this much better. Having them EVERYWHERE kind of cheapened everything, IMO

Joey Ravn

Banned
Finally got the Trophy for defeating 80 spaceships. Funny thing: they don't need to be hostile spaceships... I'm only missing the Trophies for system 80 system jumps and the one for learning 150 words. I'm missing 60 jumps and around 15 words for the Platinum.

I found a nice planet with good weather, an abundance of Pu, low sentinel activity and plenty of materials. I'm gonna bunker down, gather as much Th, Ca and Zn as I need to manufacture the fuel I need for those jumps and then I'm off planet. 60 jumps in a row!

The game has been growing on me. I'd love to explore the main quest and base-building features more, but right now I want to get that Platinum Trophy. I'll probably get it on PC when it's around €15 or €10 just to play it again without the goal of getting Trophies. Besides, framerate is a bit shitty on PS4 Pro sometimes...

Holy shit. And I was about to drop it for another ship later (a B-Class) 'cause I didn't know! I won't leave this ship ever lol

I mean I suppose you could still get a less than ideal roll of an S class ship, but it's likely it'll be better than most.

What kind? what are the % stats for shield/dmg/hyperdrive? How many slots?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Depends on the planet. Yesterday I popped down and before I knew it was chaining POIs to the point when I had a full inventory, 200 more Nanites and two new Cargo slots even though I'd just intended to come down for some preliminary scanning. They are definitely not always chainable on any planet though which I do remember from vanilla, but I actually like the change. Makes it more notable when it does happen and some planets feel more uncharted.

Remember if you're just looking for something to aim at you can just build a signal booster and pick whatever. You're likely to get distracted on the way.

Glad to see they're putting in a lot of work with these patches, but I really hope they tackle the PC performance issues, the game is still unplayable for me :/ Really sucks when it was just fine before 1.3...I just wanna play!

I'm certainly glad to see how well this game has taken shape over the last year. I picked up Elite Dangerous last year but as cool as it looks, it's just a bit too much to get into. I tried NMS at launch but got a Steam refund, but I'm now looking forward to jumping in to it again soon. I missed the sale unfortunately, so I'll wait for another one, but I'll certainly pick it up then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just noticed the thread title. Of all the things to mention, terrain editing? lol
I keep grimacing at that as well...

This should just be No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Yes, you read the number of pages right
So I just connected the dots, as someone who just started at 1.3, how would you have gotten to the stuff under freighter crashes before?
Plasma Grenades baby. Been digging tunnels and blasting out of cave traps with them for a year.

edit: Though in fairness crashed freighters are new in 1.3

belvedere

Junior Butler
I keep grimacing at that as well...

This should just be No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Yes, you read the number of pages right

I guess I've had my head buried in this thread and never gave it much notice haha.

I have no idea how you'd summarize everything 1.3 brought to the table, but surely we can do better than terrain editing lol.

From a gameplay immersion perspective, I find this much better. Having them EVERYWHERE kind of cheapened everything, IMO

Yeh I definitely dont mind not seeing them everywhere lol.

Depends on the planet. Yesterday I popped down and before I knew it was chaining POIs to the point when I had a full inventory, 200 more Nanites and two new Cargo slots even though I'd just intended to come down for some preliminary scanning. They are definitely not always chainable on any planet though which I do remember from vanilla, but I actually like the change. Makes it more notable when it does happen and some planets feel more uncharted.

Remember if you're just looking for something to aim at you can just build a signal booster and pick whatever. You're likely to get distracted on the way.

Thats good that there are some plentiful planets left. But yeah thats something I dont miss lol, I remember in vanilla just spending so much time looking at crash sites and constantly going "not worth it". The one time I did find a ship post-1.3, it was a pretty good A class trade ship.

Cess007

I mean I suppose you could still get a less than ideal roll of an S class ship, but it's likely it'll be better than most.

What kind? what are the % stats for shield/dmg/hyperdrive? How many slots?

I won't lie you, I didn't check any of that lol I just noticed it had like 29 free slots and took it. Later I noticed the rank, but didn't check neither the stats nor the name. I've been looking on the internet for it, but haven't found it. It looks similar to the Gaboriya S99 from what I remember how it looked.

I found it in the wreckage from where you start the Artemis mission.

let's see some pics of it

Sure, let me get home and I will post them. I event took a screenshot when you compare both ships :D

Top Bottom