• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Any word on any differences between PC and PS4? My gut says no. My girlfriend is into this game, and it will be easier for both of us to play on PS4.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Perfection.

And you just gave me the perfect idea. Playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, etc., on Spotify while in this game.

Im gonna blast Surfin Bird right after I open fire on the largest ship I can find in my vicinity. Pretty fitting for the stupid that would occur shortly after. Might as well play the Benny Hill theme at that point, but might save that when I shoot at the largest lifeform on a planet. Since running is one thing that sure as hell is going to be happening shortly after. lol

Any word on any differences between PC and PS4? My gut says no. My girlfriend is into this game, and it will be easier for both of us to play on PS4.

I don't believe anything has been said about what differences there will be, if any.

I suspect we'll have a larger draw distance and stuff like that, but that it'll be otherwise identical.

Aenima

Damn, why would the PC version be pushed back like that? Bleh

If its another stupid exclusivity deal, albeit only like 3 days, it still sucks. This trend has gotta stop.

The game on PS4 also only comes out day 12 in UK and the rest of the world... Just US and Europe gets it 2-3 days earlier. Is not like u have to way 3 months for it.

The game on PS4 also only comes out day 12 in UK and the rest of the world... Just US and Europe gets it 2-3 days earlier. Is not like u have to way 3 months for it.

That's brexit for you.

;)

Makes sense. I might get the physical PS4 version after all as that seems to be a bit cheaper and the game won't require PS+ to play online, I just got used to looking at Steam preorder deals since they are usually the cheaper ones.

To be honest. I only pre-ordered the digital version because of the absurdly small size (6GB) or else I would have bought it physical as well.

SomTervo

That's brexit for you.

;)

To be honest. I only pre-ordered the digital version because of the absurdly small size (6GB) or else I would have bought it physical as well.

I'd like a referendum to leave the UK for No Man's Sky

PC may have mod support, a DRM free option via GOG, and possible benefits from better hardware.

Oh yeah, Sean is on record saying he wants to support the modding scene if he can

Maddanth

I hope not otherwise it's BS, there is no reason to delay the PC version .
Hopefully, this is just a misunderstanding .

No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy, coming to PS4 on August 9th in North America and August 10th in Europe, and on PC worldwide on August 12th.
THIS I PULLED FROM NO MANS SKY OFFICIAL WEBSITE.
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Im gonna blast Surfin Bird right after I open fire on the largest ship I can find in my vicinity. Pretty fitting for the stupid that would occur shortly after. Might as well play the Benny Hill theme at that point, but might save that when I shoot at the largest lifeform on a planet. Since running is one thing that sure as hell is going to be happening shortly after. lol

Hahaha, so true!

Well, this is BS, why would the PC version release later in North America ? There is no reason .

That 3 day PS4 exclusivity. ;)

Crab doesn't seem that janky to me. And the animal in the other one seems to be trying to get up that hill but can't. None of these are that bad. How much time do you spend trying to turn people away from this game, and why?

I don't really care what game these would be from, they're not immersion breaking if you have any level of imagination.

I would have killed that thing with fire long before it even made near the hill tbh lol so this is a non-issue imho >_<

Edit: those release date shenanigans just sealed the PS4 copy for me

Maddanth

I would have killed that thing with fire long before it even made near the hill tbh lol so this is a non-issue imho >_<

Edit: those release date shenanigans just sealed the PS4 copy for me
Yup me too, I know it's only 3 days, but damn I've waited long enough to play this.

RedSwirl

I really hope we'll get to see planets with as many creatures co-existing on-screen as the E3 2014 trailer. We haven't really seen anything like this, with this many creatures on-screen at once, since this trailer.

Murray specifically admitted the wildlife in that trailer was curated so it would be denser than normal.

Definitely. I'm double dipping because I want to support Hello, but PS4 will definitely be cheaper if you trade in a game to subsidise it. On top of that, if you find a local mom 'n' pop store, they might stock and sell the game early (I plan on picking it up the Saturday before launch).

Yeah I'm buying twice. PC is going to my main platform. Getting the CE PS4 edition for the steel case and the art books.

I know that may sound childish complaining about that but if there is no valid reason or exclusivity deal why delay the PC version ? And only for 3 days on top of that .

I think they wanted to give us all a few more days to hope/pray that our new video cards would be in stock and or arrive.

If I could actually get a hold of one I might have swayed PC too, but I guess I will end up double dipping later on when Canada actually has the new cards in stock and for a non-gouged price =(

PS4 wins this round for me lol

You have to remember we're dealing with planet-sized planets here. Without plenty of personal markers and lots of landmark-memorising, it will be very easy to get lost and very easy to lose things. Apparently it's even easy to completely lose your ship, which is a pitfall many players fall into. If you land on a planet and spend a few hours walking in one direction, it would be easy to get disoriented, and turning around on the spot might present you with a totally unfamiliar view. It could be nigh impossible to find your way back to where you landed. Indeed, it can take you hundreds of days IRL to fully explore one planet.

I calculated it would take 25 years to fully explore that planet in the video where Sean looks through the station porthole. There's probably smaller planets and moons than that one, but I'd guess they'd all take at least a few years to explore completely.

It's strange to think that we'll all be discovering planets and creatures that Hello has likely never seen.

btw, I think you said something about players being able to kill NPCs and steal their stuff? Where'd you hear that from? I don't remember Sean saying you could do that, other than destroying ships.

No, that's the only conflicting information. The store dates are correct.

Someone fucked up the sentence, because it pretty clearly should read "Coming to PS4 and PC on August 9th in North America, August 10th in Europe, and worldwide on August 12th." based on literally every single other piece of information available, including the formally announced dates when it was delayed.

I'm not sure about that...the store sites have been repeatedly wrong on NMS dates as things have changed, and the fact that the site still shows the 12th despite over a day of people pestering Sean on Twitter says to me that's probably the real date.

DC1

Man... My Hype level has gone from meh :... to Bonkers o_O!!!.

The imagination has been captured by my 14 year old, COD playing son and my 10 year old daughter who hates/loves MLP equally. And lastly my aged old wisdom through disappointment has been suspended to think that this game can deliver the unexpected joy of adventure.

Oooooh boy. The setup is afoot!

&#128131;

SomTervo

I calculated it would take 25 years to fully explore that planet in the video where Sean looks through the station porthole. There's probably smaller planets and moons than that one, but I'd guess they'd all take at least a few years to explore completely.

It's strange to think that we'll all be discovering planets and creatures that Hello has likely never seen.

It's gonna be crazy.

btw, I think you said something about players being able to kill NPCs and steal their stuff? Where'd you hear that from? I don't remember Sean saying you could do that, other than destroying ships.

Hmm. I think I got the idea from the IGN First 21 minute video. I think Sean implies it. And by 'their stuff' I mean the stuff in bases or the stuff in chests/containers. For instance he's on record saying that rather than just hack into a warehouse or trade/talk your way in, you can actually just blow up the doors and get in.

I suppose I'm saying the NPC thing based on conjecture. We know that we can blow up buildings to steal resources. What if there's an NPC in said building? I doubt they're going to just stand still until they die. We know they'll fight back in the air, so why not on the ground?

CHC

Yeah the scale is unprecedented. It's going to be so genuinely weird to play an open world game where there literally can be no specific guides on where to go and what to do. Everyone will have completely their own experiences, with it being an extreme rarity for two players to even SEE the same planet, let alone land on it at the same time. Obviously there will be some visible repetition / pattern recognition after a certain point but still, the scale is hard to grasp. Hard to imagine a game world where not even the developers know EXACTLY what is out there.

legacyzero

Banned
They really could just be making sure the PC version is as optimized as it can get?

Thats a good thing. The PC crowd are pretty vocal on that. I know. Im one of them.

c0Zm1c

They really could just be making sure the PC version is as optimized as it can get?

Thats a good thing. The PC crowd are pretty vocal on that. I know. Im one of them.

I doubt it's that. There's not much they could do with just three extra days.

I still think it's an error on the website and will eventually be corrected.

as good as this game sounds, im gonna wait a few month before buying. fell for the hype too many times and with game prices the way they are, gonna be more cautious

I'm kinda confused about what's going on with the release date. My Steam here in the UK says the 12th, is this accurate? What's the PC release date in the US? If it's earlier than UK I'll just VPN unlock it.

I think Sean told once you leave a planet it will all be regenerated. But untill you leave all the mess u done will be there.

The OT can't come soon enough.

Everything is permanent. The bigger the changes, the higher the chances those are saved for everyone on the server side.

I think Sean told once you leave a planet it will all be regenerated. But untill you leave all the mess u done will be there.

Changes you make are saved for YOU (ie they should still be there when you return), but not uploaded. The only things that are saved and distributed to all players are "large" changes, such as destroying a space station.

There has to be some sort of save limit since this is releasing on PS4 and space there is often at a premium. But as of now no one knows what that limit might be.

Changes you make are saved for YOU (ie they should still be there when you return), but not uploaded. The only things that are saved and distributed to all players are "large" changes, such as destroying a space station.

There has to be some sort of save limit since this is releasing on PS4 and space there is often at a premium. But as of now no one knows what that limit might be.

You can't destroy a space station. You can attack one, can't destroy it.

But really big changes to a planet e.g. large terrain modifications, killing a significant amount of animal population. These things are possible to store to the servers and be visible by other.

I haven't stayed too in the loop about the game, but have they confirmed about whether they are 'weighting' the super-formula? Realistically, 99% of the galaxy would be empty and barren and completely uninteresting to explore. I assume that they're putting their thumb on the scale to ensure that you don't just see a thousand gas giants one after the other. Obviously it's more fun to see life and varied terrain, but I'm ignorant of whether they've ever said they're aiming more for realism or fun.

Sadly there are no gas giants (that we know of). I haven't heard anything different about them weighting the algorithm to make the galaxy more populated. The barren planets are going to have more resources. Everything that's been said is that HG is going for fun.

I haven't stayed too in the loop about the game, but have they confirmed about whether they are 'weighting' the super-formula? Realistically, 99% of the galaxy would be empty and barren and completely uninteresting to explore. I assume that they're putting their thumb on the scale to ensure that you don't just see a thousand gas giants one after the other. Obviously it's more fun to see life and varied terrain, but I'm ignorant of whether they've ever said they're aiming more for realism or fun.

Steam still says 9th for me.

I schedule some time off for the release on the 9th. Its to late to change my time off to the 12th.

What the fuck. How many fucking times are they going to change this fucking release date?

I remember an old video discussing the distance between planets. The planets being close enough to see another looming around the horizon would of course realistic and originally then not the way it worked. After discussion they decided to make the planets close together because it looks cool and is more fun.

So I wouldn't be too worried about them favoring realism over fun.

CHC

I think they said 90% of planets will be barren, but still viable for mining and basic resource collection. Which will actually probably be just about right in game because there is no obligation to land on every planet you see - many you'll probably just fly by, see it looks barren, and keep on going.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

But really big changes to a planet e.g. large terrain modifications, killing a significant amount of animal population. These things are possible to store to the servers and be visible by other.

Gonna spend 60 hours digging a crater.

Sadly there are no gas giants (that we know of). I haven't heard anything different about them weighting the algorithm to make the galaxy more populated. The barren planets are going to have more resources. Everything that's been said is that HG is going for fun.

I remember an old video discussing the distance between planets. The planets being close enough to see another looming around the horizon would of course realistic and originally then not the way it worked. After discussion they decided to make the planets close together because it looks cool and is more fun.

So I wouldn't be too worried about them favoring realism over fun.

I think they said 90% of planets will be barren, but still viable for mining and basic resource collection. Which will actually probably be just about right in game because there is no obligation to land on every planet you see - many you'll probably just fly by, see it looks barren, and keep on going.

Cool beans. That was the main thing I was worried about although it would have been neat from a simulation perspective. Exploring 10,000 Mercury's would get old really fast but it sounds like they've made concessions to make it easier to find the more complex/interesting planets. I don't mind selecting which planet in a system I want to explore (need resources on barren world vs. exploring a life-bearing one), but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where it would take hours to even find a system containing non-barren planets.

In one of the tech talks a Hello dev said, if memory serves, that each voxel cube (from which terrain is generated) takes up 6 bytes. So even if you destroyed 1000 voxel cubes of land area that would be only about 6k of data.

Not true, Sean has specifically mentioned destroying a space station as one of the few "major" events that would be saved on the server for everyone. But he said it would take a lot of firepower to do so.

90% of the planets are barren (but are richer in rarer elements). 10% have some level of life on them. Of that 10%, 10% of those are the kind of lush "utopian" worlds seen in the trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom