• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No one leaves feedback on eBay

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

Samus4145

The same could be said with selling on Amazon. I sold my entire PS3/360 collection, so roughly 400 separate orders. I got maybe 10-20 people that left feedback.

As a matter of politeness, I always leave feedback. It's almost invariably 100% positive, but that's because I'm really happy with the effort sellers put in. I can't imagine ever selling anything on eBay myself, I'm way too lazy to put in so much work for a tiny revenue. Not one of life's retailers, I guess.

On reflection, the ten seconds it takes me to give the seller a pat on the back is worth it also for a pragmatic reason. I benefit from their willingness to put in all that work, and it's in my interests to encourage them.

Shahed

I don't use eBay much, so i can't comment there. But I buy off Sellers on Amazon at times, and to be honest I pretty much never leave feedback. And the reason for that is because it's just simply not something that crosses my mind, even if I sell thing son Amazon from time to time.

If I were to leave feedback, i'd have to wait however long it takes for me to get my package, and then I'd need think login for the express purpose of leaving feedback. Something which frankly I just don't do

However sometimes I'll get an email notification from Amazon that I haven't left feedback for such and such. In those cases I will leave feedback. My issue is I just don't remember or it's not something I think about, not because I can't be bothered. When i get an email about feedback, I'll leave it. If no notification comes, then I won't

I don't know if eBay provides email notifications about feedback, but if they don't, they should.

Always leave feedback people, it really helps the seller. I probably get feedback from like 10% or less of people who buy from me, it is kind of annoying.

Vuze

Unfortunately the same with my latest purchases from private sellers and sold items. It's pretty annoying but my standing is fairly good (despite not in three digits yet) so eh. I leave feedback on all sellers and buyers as a matter of politeness.

Shiloa

This is entirely ebay's fault. Don't blame the customers.

ebay used to have a straightforward feedback process where everyone left their feedback.

They then kept messing around with it and changing it. Sellers became powerless both when it came to claims, disputes and also in feedback. Ebay also courted big name brands and it stopped being a marketplace for independent sellers. It rapidly became a huge waste of time for many sellers and buyers were shuttered away from needing to consider feedback.

You can directly blame eBay for this. Years ago they used to be much more proactive about reminding users to leave feedback. They'd send email reminders and dashboard notifications urging you to do it after every transaction. This is before they rebranded themselves as a storefront and actually functioned as a proper auction site where buyers and sellers were on equal footing. I don't remember the exact moment they stopped giving a fuck, but that was the exact moment their users stopped giving a fuck too. You used to get feedback after the majority of transactions.

G0523

OK, if you want to raise your score, buy things on eBay from big sellers. They almost always leave positive feedback. It'll raise your score and will make you more attractive to other buyers. Or you could just message people that bought your stuff and ask them to leave feedback. Doesn't hurt to ask.

The same could be said with selling on Amazon. I sold my entire PS3/360 collection, so roughly 400 separate orders. I got maybe 10-20 people that left feedback.

Yeah, really.

I wish Amazon cared about sellers getting feedback more. Like you my stats are similar. My last 200 items sold, 8 feedbacks. One negative can really wreck your score. A disgruntled customer is going to go far more out of their way to voice displeasure than one who is pleased so just "bad luck" could really hit a new seller who might sell a couple dozen things here and there.

I always leave eBay feedback so that I can go way over the top with it. It's fun to communicate with the other person in a totally normal way during the transaction, and then afterwards leave them a manic screed about how they took my breath away.

javac

I used to but don't really any more. I don't leave it straight away because I like to make sure that the item actually works and doesn't fall apart in a few days and then I forget.

I always leave eBay feedback so that I can go way over the top with it. It's fun to communicate with the other person in a totally normal way during the transaction, and then afterwards leave them a manic screed about how they took my breath away.

I have fun with that, too. If you pick up a bargain and when it arrives it turns out to be totally spot on, there's a huge sense of relief and gratitude to the seller for being honest, that is easy to translate into glowing feedback.

woopWOOP

Hmm, didn't know about Ebay withholding money from new sellers. That's lame.

Never sold a thing, but I have 272 stars from using Ebay a crapload years ago. I still want to try and sell some stuff internationally, but all the stories about scamming and everything being so stacked against sellers has me too worried about getting screwed somehow to even try.

I always made sure to leave feedback anyway. Just copy/pasting the same "A+ Great Seller, Super Fast" even if delivery wasn't all that fast, lol

I used to leave feedback regularly and still do on occasion but I've had bad experiences with sellers hounding me if I didn't do it fast enough. And Im not even sure if it was ebay or amazon or what that was doing it, but I would get constant emails from private storefronts going after me if I didn't leave it. That just made me want to not do it more.

Also, calling your customers ignorant if they don't want to leave you feedback feels bad man. I know you want to get better standing, but don't take it out on your customers. Even when it was more encouraged, it was still always optional.

Vuze

I used to leave feedback regularly and still do on occasion but I've had bad experiences with sellers hounding me if I didn't do it fast enough. And Im not even sure if it was ebay or amazon or what that was doing it, but I would get constant emails from private storefronts going after me if I didn't leave it. That just made me want to not do it more.
That sounds like Amazon marketplace. Recently ordered from a third party seller and they bugged me twice until I gave in to rate them, then today they wanted me to leave a review for the product I ordered. jfc.

I have been on eBay since 2003 and ALWAYS leave positive feedback. As long as I receive the item quickly, I give five stars on everything and then just put "Thanks." or "Good."

Diablos

eBay's community has taken a turn for the worse. Before, people would leave feedback without hesitation. Now, as a seller, even if I would leave feedback I still don't always get anything in return. If I politely remind them by sending a message thanking them for their purchase only then is there a 50/50 chance they'll leave positive feedback.

eBay really isn't what it used to be and i really hate that.

Although in fairness it may have more to do with a decline in common courtesy in general...

Yeah it's annoying, since you need feedback to have people feel more comfortable buying from / selling to you. And it doesn't take very much time either. I've made it a point to always leave feedback though it is frustrating when the other person doesn't do the same. Even if it was to come a couple of days after the item arrives (people are busy of course) that's fine.

Feedback is a relic. It was useful when buying stuff online was weird and seen as a risk. But now people use online shops all the time so no one even thinks twice about getting stuff so no need to leave feedback

How so? Would you pay the same price for a new and sealed item from a private seller as you could from a store? If you're buying from a store you often have an actual support department, and things like twitter to get hold of them if that doesn't help, whereas if you're buying from a private seller you're essentially relying on the honesty / goodwill of the seller, part of which is proven by the feedback they have.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Also, calling your customers ignorant if they don't want to leave you feedback feels bad man. I know you want to get better standing, but don't take it out on your customers. Even when it was more encouraged, it was still always optional.

By definition they are being ignorant, so I don't see why I should feel bad for calling them on it? You know what actually feels bad? Not knowing if the customer is happy with the item, or if they even received it, or if they plan to chargeback scam you 2 months down the road so you always have that nagging worry in the back of your mind. Also having your payment frozen for weeks because the buyer couldn't take 5 seconds out of their life to leave positive feedback which speeds up the process feels pretty damn bad as well.

Never really had a problem with feedback myself, as a buyer and seller. Though if the buyer doesn't give feedback first to confirm the product is to their liking then they won't get feedback in return.

Ogni-XR21

I always do. I usually buy used console stuff on ebay and I think it's important for other buyers if a seller is to be trusted.

I honestly don't know if I ever got any feedback from a seller though.... just checked, I do indeed have 100% positive feedback, nice.

gblues

Banned
Agree with the others blaming eBay.

Years ago it stopped being a worldwide garage sale where you were primarily dealing with individuals. They added Buy It Now, they added storefronts, and now it's nothing more than an online strip mall where you can hang your hat and sell your own stuff if you want.

Feedback is a more and more a relic of the garage sale days. It's practically vestigial at this point. I suspect it will probably go away completely within a few years.

Darren870

I sell on eBay full time. About 1 in 5 actually leave feedback, probably less. It's annoying, but not much I can do. eBay send automated reminders too.

I like to get it to know my customer got the product and that I'm not going to hear any surprising complaints in the future.

jmizzal

Yup I talked about this in the BST thread, my last 5 ebay deals I have no gotten any feedback, even tho I ship right away and pay right away

I should have 20 more feedback on there that I havent gotten over the last few years, when I first got on ebay years ago my feedback built up fast.

Drazgul

I mostly buy small ticket items from vendors with 100k or more, hardly see a point in those cases. If it's a seller that's just starting out, sure why not.

inner-G

Banned
I stopped when they limited the feedback options a few years ago. I would probably only do it now if I had a problem

It makes sense not to leave feedback for a while, what if the product stops working or something. Feedback is your only "leverage" against the seller, so you wanna wait as long as the return period is in case you need to leave negative feedback if the seller won't work with you, since afaik there is no way to change feedback once its been left.

The downside is that if you wait you will most likely just forget about it and never leave that feedback. Thats a problem for the seller though, not really a buyer. It is pretty shitty but doing something thats counter to your own interests isn't great either.

KHlover

Banned
It makes sense not to leave feedback for a while, what if the product stops working or something. Feedback is your only "leverage" against the seller, so you wanna wait as long as the return period is in case you need to leave negative feedback if the seller won't work with you, since afaik there is no way to change feedback once its been left.

The downside is that if you wait you will most likely just forget about it and never leave that feedback. Thats a problem for the seller though, not really a buyer. It is pretty shitty but doing something thats counter to your own interests isn't great either.

Yeah. Just recently I bought a couple seasons of a show on ebay. After a week the seller nagged me to leave a positive review, turns out the very last BD was damaged and needed to be replaced. He cooperated, but only after I threatened to leave a bad review.

Why I take my time, in a nutshell.

You should message them and say "I left you a feedback please leave one for me". Do this after the package has been deliverd. it works for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never left a review for anything on Amazon. Is that a crime?!

I leave negative reviews whenever a product sucks shit.

Half the time I'll get a refund even if the product is out of warranty if I agree to take it down. Which I have done in some cases and haven't done in others.

I sell on eBay full time. About 1 in 5 actually leave feedback, probably less. It's annoying, but not much I can do. eBay send automated reminders too.

I like to get it to know my customer got the product and that I'm not going to hear any surprising complaints in the future.

Interesting, where do you find all of your inventory? I would like to know more how you operate if you don't mind sharing.

Had a few sellers not leave me feedback as a buyer. I left them nice feedback but I don't know, guess they're busy.

Also I sold an Oculus Rift, sent it special delivery. The guy was developer who I think only joined ebay to buy the rift and never left me feedback. When you sell an expensive item you hope to get some feedback, no one cares if you've sold a bunch of cheap shit.

With over 600 transactions I've only had about 4-5 non feedbacks though (UK) and only one issue that was resolved.

Don't sweat this. I get 20-30 feedbacks a month but that's way under what I should get also. Never ask anyone for feedback, especially after the transaction is completed. Sometimes it's best to be out of sight and out of mind. Consider no feedback a positive score. So many times I've seen folks be asked to add the feedback only for it to be negative.

Also, just because someone leaves positive feedback does not all of a sudden "save" you from having to refund or whatever and they can still win a case against you if they decide to go down that road. If someone gets a cassette player, they see it looks good and leave feedback, but it stops working a week later or they realize later it's not as described, they can still win against you even though they left feedback already.

This is very good advice.

Sometimes no feedback is better than bad feedback. Or worse, passive-aggressive feedback like I've been getting recently. i.e. - Item was good but not 100% exactly as described OR Great item, but has cigarette odor. I can't help it if I miss something, humans can make errors, and I definitely do not smoke. They do that just to get a little dig in, because they know EBay won't do anything if I complain.

People just love causing trouble in my experience. Best just take what you can get and leave the rest alone.

I usually do if it's an independent seller.

Sellers with mega high ratings (like store fronts), doesn't really matter to me. It's just an echo chamber.

I would leave a negative review for both though.

I tend to leave feedback in waves. Every month or so I'll go and leave feedback for everything I bought at once.

I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't leave feedback because the eBay website is stuck in 2010. It's an extremely poorly designed website.

pswii60

I don't use eBay much any more as a seller because there's very little protection and it just feels like the place is full of scammers these days. eBay will always side when the buyer.

SKINNER!

Banned
I've already built a large positive feedback collection from when i started using eBay more than 10 years ago that I don't really care if a person leaves me feedback. Meh. It's broken anyway. Sellers can't leave negative feedback anyway. If there's a problem then you go to the resolution centre.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it used to matter back when humans sold stuff on eBay, but today it's mostly medium to large companies and everyone pays with PayPal so everyone has buyer protection.

DirtyLarry

I always leave feedback, but it is either 1 of 2 comments. I have both in my Chrome Autofill settings so makes it easy.
I have fortunately only used my negative comment twice.
I almost only purchase comic books on eBay, and everyone seems to be pretty legit.

I primarily stick to newer titles. On a very rare occasions some older titles. I have only encountered one issue where they were selling something that was not what they claimed (was a 4th printing and they claimed 1st). Seller was so worried about negative feedback they refunded me and told me to keep the 4th edition. So really they got caught, but I made out one could say.

I also had an issue where the seller claimed Near Mint and it was definitely nowhere near that, and not only did they ship out the NM correct comic, they said to just keep the other.

Overall I hear these horror stories about eBay but I have had some great luck with it I guess.

I have even been thinking about trying out selling soon. I may or may not have purchased more comics than I actually need since 2015. Storage is becoming a legit issue.

Luminaire

I'm less inclined to leave positive feedback than negative for some reason. It's hard to leave praise for someone not ripping me off unless I had a meaningful interaction with the person. "Seller was not a piece of human garbage and my product arrived in one piece. 5 stars."

On OfferUp? Since I'm meeting the person and messaging them, it's super easy for me to leave them 5-stars.

near

Gold Member
I've had the opposite experience were sellers don't leave me feedback, but it doesn't bother me since I use ebay once every now and again. I always thought leaving feedback was obligatory in a customary kind of way.

As a Seller, it's super annoying. I hate having to gently remind people by message a few times to "please don't forget to leave positive feedback!" followed by crickets chirping.

Darren870

Yea, no that doesn't work. That's feedback extortion. eBay takes it seriously, removes the feedback and puts a mark against the buyer.

I have had people try that on me after a few weeks because they get buyers remorse.

Interesting, where do you find all of your inventory? I would like to know more how you operate if you don't mind sharing.

Can PM me if you'd like. Don't have time to write up a post today.

Redd

I always leave feedback on eBay. Mostly just a few words. What I never do is leave feedback on Amazon. I don't really know why because I only buy from sellers with a lot of good reviews.

Top Bottom