• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No one leaves feedback on eBay

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
Having a lower rating can affect how quickly you get money, for example, so feedback is really important.

I just message people after leaving them feedback asking them to do the same, if they haven't already.

Recently some stupid old fucking hag from Florida left me two negative reviews for two giant, luxury pool floats because I "refunded her too quickly" (I had used the eBay shipping calculator to add shipping price of 30 bucks per float and when I went to UPS, FedEx and even USPS they wanted 110-150 PER float so I apologized to her since I was going to be taking a huge loss and refunded her).

It fucked my rating up since before that I hadn't had any activity in 12 months. I've since rebuilt it from buying and selling a few things but I had to ask almost everyone to leave feedback after I left it for them.

If you're not going to leave feedback, don't fucking use eBay.

Cipherr

Guilty.

After I started using craigslist, and Ebay became something I only used when I couldn't find it on CL I was instantly less interested in fucking with that final step. I often just forgot to even bother. I'm the same way on Amazon too. I just don't bother with feedback if everything went fine. It should really be considered positive unless stated otherwise to keep up with how many people are these days.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I copy-paste the same review text for all of my given positive feedback, unless the auction warrants something otherwise.

Joei

What are your guys' thoughts on Best Buy's system where you earn points for leaving reviews on items you've purchased. I've actually earned probably 10-15 dollars, likely more on there, because I review every item I purchase and at 25 points a review, it adds up. Not a ton of money, but a little incentive to get a few extra reward points which I just use for games anyways.

As for the OP, I always do cause I know how important it is to sellers and it takes a whopping 30 seconds.

I just looked at my eBay account and, as a person who only ever buys, I was pleased to see I've received feedback from 24 of the 28 items I've bought recently. That's about as high as I could wish for.

I pay promptly and always leave feedback. It seems that this is appreciated by most of the sellers. The feedback I received is 100% positive.

Rootbeer

Banned
90% of the time I post a review within 24 hours of receiving the item. Often in less than 1 hour if I'm home. The rest of the time, I'll do it when I get around it it because I probably forgot, and I'll notice next time I login to ebay and check my orders page.

Yeah if you have very few reviews it can be frustrating because you want to increase your rep so more buyers and sellers will trust you. Not much you can do... just do your best and wait for the reviews to roll in when they get around to it.

Trying to complain about it or gently persuade them to post reviews COULD backfire, I don't risk it.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont.

Sometimes when a ebayer or Amazon 3rd party emails me a week / month after the fact begging for a review I am super tempted to 1 star them though. I dont. But I am tempted.

90% of the time I post a review within 24 hours of receiving the item. Often in less than 1 hour if I'm home.

To be clear, do you really mean reviews, or do you mean eBay feedback? Reviews are meant to help a potential buyer decide whether a product is what they want, feedback is a way of contributing to the trust network by affecting the reputation of a buyer or seller based on your experience trading with them.

It's a bit confusing, but in eBay the two words have these very different and long-established meanings.

Lum1n3s

Things have changed eBay, sellers used to leave buyers feedback promptly when something was bought and paid for on the spot but now no one does... bastards.

I feel like if a buyer hasn't opened a case with eBay within 60 days, and you haven't received positive feedback, then you automatically get positive feedback.

noquarter

I usually only really care about leaving positive feedback if the seller is new or the service was better than expected somehow.

For sellers with little feedback, I try to make sure I test the product, or at least inspect it, then leave feedback within a few days. This is mainly because they do hold the sellers money for newer accounts and those sellers are already at a disadvantage since fewer people tend to bid on their auctions.

For the big sellers, if they ship faster then expected or send more than expected, I will try to leave feedback pretty quick as well. An example is a seller than I've started to buy preorder MTG product from. The last three sets, they have had the items at my door on release day, which is not the norm.

Negative feedback will not got posted until I talked to the seller and tried to work something out. Usually fairly easy going, so as long as they try to work with me, I'll work with them and they won't get Negative feedback, possibly will get neutral though.

Everything else though ends up me leaving feedback when I get around to it, which is usually once a month or so. Just go in and leave it for everyone, with 5 star DSR and 'before such date' unless I remember and something was different but wouldn't be negative worthy.

I leave feedback, but I usually buy and rarely get any feedback for being a buyer. I've gotten used to it though, it's similar to how the B/S/T thread on GAF has been lately.

yeah its really annoying because especially on the IOS app its all filled out. You hit leave feedback, submit. And thats it. It already has a nice message autofilled. Takes literally 2 seconds. Ive sold hundreds of things and barely have 100 feedback

I give feedback to people who have under 5k so they can grow their positive feedback and people know they are safe to buy from.

I don't bother leaving it for with retail chains with 50k+ feedback already and everybody knows them.

I leave a note in everything I sell kindly asking to please leave feedback whenever possible if they're satisfied with the service.
I pack a paper note in with the item as well. I ask for positive feedback and say good feedback is important to me. It helps.

Hmm, I always give feedback when I buy from ebay, mostly cause usually I have a conversation with the seller prior to buy the item, and I know it's a "real" person. So I like to give a positive feedback when I make business with an honest person, I think they deserve it.

On the contrary, when I buy from Amazon, since it's always super "cold" and impersonal, I NEVER give feedback, however... from time to time I receive an email when a person asks for details about an item that I bought, in those cases I always respond, even if it's to say "Sorry, mate, I don't have more info to help you about [insert subject being asked]".

Having a lower rating can affect how quickly you get money, for example, so feedback is really important.

I just message people after leaving them feedback asking them to do the same, if they haven't already.

Recently some stupid old fucking hag from Florida left me two negative reviews for two giant, luxury pool floats because I "refunded her too quickly" (I had used the eBay shipping calculator to add shipping price of 30 bucks per float and when I went to UPS, FedEx and even USPS they wanted 110-150 PER float so I apologized to her since I was going to be taking a huge loss and refunded her).

It fucked my rating up since before that I hadn't had any activity in 12 months. I've since rebuilt it from buying and selling a few things but I had to ask almost everyone to leave feedback after I left it for them.

If you're not going to leave feedback, don't fucking use eBay.

this reads like the story of a sex offender getting trying to convince his new neighbours that he is cured.

Chiramii

People are lazy beyond measure. They want the convenience of knowing who's a good seller, but won't contribute to the system with even 15 seconds of their time. It's pathetic.

THIS. I don't sell much on eBay, but I always leave feedback after I've bought something. On rare occasions when I do sell, I really appreciate when someone do the same for me so other people can know I am someone they can trust.

Selfish bastards.

As a buyer and seller on Ebay I leave feedback 99.9% of the time, only not having done it twice. Both times I received items that were functional but damaged. One of the sellers had a perfect 100% rating and the other near perfect. I really didn't want to bother the sellers about the damaged items because I'd feel bad about troubling them but I also couldn't bear the thought of being the person to ruin their perfect/near perfect feeback with a neutral/negative feedback score, I'd end up feeling terrible. So I just quietly accepted the damaged products.

Ploid 3.0

I sold one thing, a graphics card that then had the ebay price of over double the MSRP. I was incredibly nervous about selling it there, and the lack of any comment from the buyer made things worse. I couldn't wait until the week or whatever after the delivery was confirmed by tracking to get that money out of Paypal. I didn't want any part of a ebay scam.

My hats off to people that use ebay to sell stuff. I never want to mess with that again, especially with the ebay+paypal fees. If I end up with another graphics card that is worth over double of what I paid for it again, I'll just try to sell local, and if not I'll just be happy I got something before the price hike.

smurfx

get some go again
anytime i buy anything at ebay i treat it as shopping at any store since i always use the buy it now option. i purchase my item and then never bother leaving feedback.

I always leave feedback, but they're normally those generic "GREAT SELLER! FAST SHIPPING! A+++++ WOULD SHOP WITH AGAIN" messages you see all over ebay.

FyreWulff

anytime i buy anything at ebay i treat it as shopping at any store since i always use the buy it now option. i purchase my item and then never bother leaving feedback.

this is how i use ebay now, and most people I know as well. Buy It Now only. Otherwise too much scams in both directions to deal with

I think I went almost a decade not using it once between like 2001 and 2009

LQX

Yeah, I hardly receive feedback these days but to be honest no feedback on the smaller items does not really bother me, but it ways on me heavy and really irks me when I do not get feedback for an expensive item.

PRBoricua

There used to be risk involved in buying items on eBay, so the feedback helped people decide whether the person selling the item was legitimate, or just some dude trying to get over on people on the big, scary Internets.

Nowadays if there's an issue, you take your ass directly to eBay, and the money is in your account by the time you pull the covers to your neck to go to sleep.

Lynd7

Speaking of Ebay, I recently sold something for the first time in a long time and was annoyed/surprised to see the funds are held in PayPal as pending for up to 21 days. What is this rubbish? I am out of pocket, maybe once the seller gives feedback Ill get the funds.

Diabelli

Speaking of Ebay, I recently sold something for the first time in a long time and was annoyed/surprised to see the funds are held in PayPal as pending for up to 21 days. What is this rubbish? I am out of pocket, maybe once the seller gives feedback Ill get the funds.
Nah, I think you have to wait whether you get good feedback or not.

No, I believe the policy is just that depending on your feedback in last 12 months, your time to get money is longer. It's not dependent on someone leaving feedback.

I mentioned this in my first post in this thread. You can have sold and bought a bunch of shit and if those people simply decide not to leave you feedback, it looks like you're a shitty eBayer and it affects how long it takes for you to get money.

There should at least be a feature that states, clearly and in the same section as someone's feedback, that a seller/buyer did not leave it.

ironmang

There used to be risk involved in buying items on eBay, so the feedback helped people decide whether the person selling the item was legitimate, or just some dude trying to get over on people on the big, scary Internets.

Nowadays if there's an issue, you take your ass directly to eBay, and the money is in your account by the time you pull the covers to your neck to go to sleep.

Not necessarily. Someone attempted to scam me on a $300+ purchase and I had to show proof that I filed a police report just to get my money back lol. Like, what's my local police department going to do about someone 1200 miles away? Took over a month but I finally got it back and the user got banned after scamming or attempting to scam a lot of people over a short period of time. Guy was 300-400+ feedback as well with not a lot of filler sales.

Things have changed eBay, sellers used to leave buyers feedback promptly when something was bought and paid for on the spot but now no one does... bastards.

As a seller I used to do that until I found out that I was more likely to get a negative if something went wrong with the transaction from the buyers side. Rather than them contacting me and working out a resolution. 99% of something going wrong was that they were simply not at home so sign for the package and the postman did not leave a slip telling them to collect the package from the post office. If I had already been given a neg for something beyond my control and the package got eventually returned to me, I wont be helping that person get their package.

This was at a time when both parties cared about feedback. I got to 1421 positive feedback at the end, less than 20 negatives.

hitme

I can't leave feedback when the seller hasn't shipped my Ryzen 7 1700 yet even when I live in the same state.

Suppose to come on Tuesday.

Flo_Evans

You can get the best deals from sellers with low feedback though!

Low feedback, shit pictures, auction ending at 3am Tuesday, shipped in an old captain crunch box? My kind of seller!

Lynd7

No, I believe the policy is just that depending on your feedback in last 12 months, your time to get money is longer. It's not dependent on someone leaving feedback.

I mentioned this in my first post in this thread. You can have sold and bought a bunch of shit and if those people simply decide not to leave you feedback, it looks like you're a shitty eBayer and it affects how long it takes for you to get money.

There should at least be a feature that states, clearly and in the same section as someone's feedback, that a seller/buyer did not leave it.

Guessing that's just for seller feedback? I've had my account since 2003 and have 123 positive feedbacks and sitting at 100%.

Top Bottom