• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No one leaves feedback on eBay

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

Heel

I go out of my way to copy/paste a message to every buyer saying I've shipped out their item, left them positive feedback, and would appreciate their feedback in return if they're happy with their item.

Even then, it's still a very low percentage that do leave feedback. I like to think being proactive helps a bit, though, as a decent amount of people message back and appreciate the communication (even if they don't leave the feedback...haha).

As a buyer, I always leave feedback a week or two later if the product is good and service was good.

As a seller, I never leave feedback until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
As a buyer, I always leave feedback a week or two later if the product is good and service was good.

I've been giving feedback immediately after receiving stuff and inspecting it. What's the thinking behind waiting?

Feedback saved me from a scammer. I sold them two Funko Pops, shipped the next day after payment. Tracking shows it delivered and that same day they left positive feedback.

Three weeks later they message me saying they didn't get it. I responded that tracking shows it delivered and they left positive feedback so they were happy about something. They escalate it to a case with EBay. After an hour on the phone with customer service they closed the case in my favor, all because thankfully they left that feedback.

Acrylic7

I always leave feedback when buying or selling. Its super annoying when you are trying to make a living off of eBay and people don leave feedback.

After I sell something and they dont give me feedback in 2 or 3 days I usually leave a message like "Thanks for purchasing from me!
If its not too much trouble I would really appreciate it if you would leave me some good seller feedback :) It would sure help out a lot!"

It works 25% of the time. Which adds up.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Guilty. I think they should count no feedback as positive feedback.
I remember back when I used eBay I thought users should get negative feedback if they didn't give any feedback. That shit used to piss me off to no end.

I always leave the same copy & pasted platitudes unless something's really exceptional, and that's all I ask in return. I just want to see the number beside my username go up, after all.

D.Lo

Feedback was killed by

1) Removing it from buyers

2) Chinese sellers who abuse the world postage system (which by agreement sends things internally in a country for free) to send items for $.10 delivered when the same item sent within the same city would cost significantly more for postage.

You can fake build feedback for cheap by just buying 300 Wii Remote silicon sleeves for $0.01. Nobody reads it anyway, they just see 300 100% positive and don't click further.

And Ebay has become a hell hole for small sellers, you are guaranteed to take a loss from some asshole at some point.

Foxix Von

I'll leave feedback if the seller doesn't have many ratings or is clearly not a professional eBay seller.

If it's a business or the seller already has like a bajilion positive ratings I don't hassle with it. So I guess I'm guilty too. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

And Ebay has become a hell hole for small sellers, you are guaranteed to take a loss from some asshole at some point.

Yup, sold a console, buyer paid right away, checked buyer feedback and all was good. So I shipped same day. TWO days later I get a message from Ebay telling me not to ship because there was some credit card problem from the buyer. Too late.

Contacted the buyer and informed them either to provide alternate payment method or return the console. Buyer response was, "I've paid you, it's not my problem, blame the credit card company". Then the buyer ignored every other message.

2) Chinese sellers who abuse the world postage system (which by agreement sends things internally in a country for free) to send items for $.10 delivered when the same item sent within the same city would cost significantly more for postage.

What is the world postage system? I always wondered how chinese sellers were able to ship such cheap stuff for free.

Edit: Oh
3. eBay and USPS brokered a trilateral ePacket agreement with China Post that gives China bulk shipping rates (which apply to individual packages as well) at a rate far below what we have to pay and which INCLUDES tracking to the U.S. destination and which does NOT require China to offer reciprocal tracking.
Doesn't seem scammy to me.

D.Lo

What is the world postage system? I always wondered how chinese sellers were able to ship such cheap stuff for free.

Edit: Oh Doesn't seem scammy to me.
It's a country-level scam propagated by the Chinese government essentially.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/united-nations-subsidy-chinese-shipping/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

This stuff was supposed to even itself out, because it assumed on average everyone will send each other stuff between countries roughly evenly over time. But China's retail/wholesale exports are of course vastly more than its imports.

On top of this, the Chinese government heavily subsidises their country's postage. So Chinese sellers get a cheap rate on domestic postage within countries sent to, and their postage to that country from them is also 95% subsidised by their own government. It might cost a Chinese seller $0.12 to send a pen to you, but it will cost you $10 to send it back to China. If you did, China post would actually lose money delivering it, but that doesn't happen very often.

Hale-XF11

I don't expect anyone to leave me feedback and I'm perfectly ok with that. Some people just want to buy things and be done with it.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Yes, I stopped years ago when they made me create a new account because I no longer had access to my work email. All my ratings were lost, so why care.

gbanting

The moment the buyer has paid you they have fulfilled their portion of the contract and have earned positive feedback. The fact that you hold your feedback ransom until they give it to you is a dick move. Of course that's just my opinion.

The moment the buyer has paid you they have fulfilled their portion of the contract and have earned positive feedback.

Feedback isn't contractual. In part, that's why people are complaining. Because eBay no longer nags people to give feedback, there has been a decline in use of the feature. I think it's perfectly acceptable for a seller to give feedback only to buyers who have shown that they value the feature by giving the seller feedback in a reasonably timely manner.

Wolfe

As others have said it used to be a lot more common that both parties left feedback, I assume that as it became more of a "storefront" for people running businesses through it the feedback kinda fell by the wayside (for reasons that have been mentioned).

I managed to hit 100+ feedback from my old ass account before I generally stopped using ebay.

McLovin

Its a shame that leaving feedback isn't a thing. I got ripped off the first time I used it and never went back again, so I woulnd't know. No matter what anyone tells me about ebay my mind is set. Fuck ebay.

RMI

Banned
For me it has been about 2/3 of all transactions that leave feedback. After you get a few it doesn't really matter anyway.

Top Bottom