• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No winner yet, Powerball at $675 Million biggest in U.S History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

1:Spend 3 years training your body and mind for intense guerilla warfare.
2:Buy a private island off the coast of South America
3:Hire pilots/helecopters and buy lots of helium.
3:Travel to various combat hotspots like Iraq and Mexico.
4:?
5:Receive Billion dollar contract by UN to invade North Korea.

That actually sounds like a pretty solid investment strategy

RPGCrazied

Damn, that could be life altering if one person were to win that. But as soon as you did, you'd get a lot of people wanting some of that. Donate to this, loan some to them. Would be crazy.

Havel

ilVOOdx.png

Sort of puts this in perspective.

Grym

Nope.

1:Spend 3 years training your body and mind for intense guerilla warfare.
2:Buy a private island off the coast of South America
3:Hire pilots/helecopters and buy lots of helium.
3:Travel to various combat hotspots like Iraq and Mexico.
4:?
5:Receive Billion dollar contract by UN to invade North Korea.

Do you know any good personal trainers or motivational speakers? I'm kinda lazy...

FTF

3 winning tickets will probably be sold (min 2): so 3 winners, $225m each (though jackpot will prob be like $750m by Sat), then after lump sum and taxes you usually get a third of that = $75m total. Pfffhhh, not even worth it.

Def buying a ticket for Sat

I like to pretend that if I ever won the lotto I would continue living the same mundane life with the insurance that I won't ever get into deep shit financially. I mean, what could you possibly do with that money? I also like to pretend I could tell my immediate family and the handful of very close friends that I could count with one hand that I won and that they wouldn't change.

Steps to claiming your big winnings if you're in a state that requires you to claim it under your legal name:

1) Tell no one you won.
2) Find a great lawyer to help you through the legal proceedings.
3) Move away from your current address to a different town.
4) When going to do the photo-op/press conference, make sure you've changed your appearance before you get up there (new hair style, dyed hair, shave/not shaved, different clothes, etc).
5) Legally change your name as soon as you can after being awarded your money.
6) Move again to a different location.
7) Still don't tell anyone that you've won (they'll know anyway because your name will be everywhere... your old name).
8) Split up the money into multiple locations; different banks, different savings/checking/retirement accounts, Vanguard/Fidelity/T. Rowe Price, etc.
9) Blow all the money in five years.

Steps to claiming your big winnings if you're in a state that requires you to claim it under your legal name:

1) Tell no one you won.
2) Find a great lawyer to help you through the legal proceedings.
3) Move away from your current address to a different town.
4) When going to do the photo-op/press conference, make sure you've changed your appearance before you get up there (new hair style, dyed hair, shave/not shaved, different clothes, etc).
5) Legally change your name as soon as you can after being awarded your money.
6) Move again to a different location.
7) Still don't tell anyone that you've won (they'll know anyway because your name will be everywhere... your old name).
8) Split up the money into multiple locations; different banks, different savings/checking/retirement accounts, Vanguard/Fidelity/T. Rowe Price, etc.
9) Blow all the money in five years.

This is great lol.

If I win, I'm hiring an architect to build me a new house on a new plot of land I'm going to buy.

I've always dreamed about designing my own house.

jmizzal

This'd be sweet and all, but you'd basically have to go to extreme steps to either hide the money, or move somewhere and break all contact with anyone who's gonna be after your money (which is gonna be damn near everyone you know).

Would be a fun pipe dream though, and that reddit advice is pretty nifty.

Yea I wouldnt wanna tell anybody I won it, but I would want to tell my parents and brother and sister, but then my parents would start telling people, they cant hold water and then everybody would start to know.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Wow. I actually read the whole thing. If I ever one I'd be very strict about how I'd hook up friends and family. Anyone complains, they're stricken from the list forever. I'd probably dump most of my money in an offshore account, move overseas, and start a new life as well. It would be hard for them to track me down regardless. =p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
All this discussion on how to play the lottery, a ROI mindset. In reality you just throw caution to the wind, roll the days coffee money and whatever happens happens.

Last night I bought two tickets for $4.00 and I won it back because I got the powerball and another number. I went to the store and turned in my winning ticket to buy two tickets for Saturday's Powerball, I used the Quick pick option to get my numbers. I'll buy some more tickets later using my own set of numbers. Good luck fellow Gaffers.

Dreavus

Seems like good advice to me.

Hearing about Mr. Whittaker in there is really frustrating, and he plays counter to the "well, it's usually a certain kind of person who plays the lotto" argument. He was a successful business owner before winning.

My takeaway is you cannot fuck around with winnings this big, and your chances of "things turning out fine on their own" and "my family/friends/acquaintances aren't like that" are minimized when everyone works their hardest to get a piece from you. This makes it clear that in many cases you can't just throw some money at your family and then expect everyone to leave you alone. They keep coming back, people appear out of the woodwork, have a new idea they want you to fund, and on and on and on. I'm stressing myself out a bit just thinking about it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You win any appreciable sum of money, you have to go ghost. Move to the opposite coast, another country, whatever. I personally wouldn't mind being generous with money I've won but I can see why people who have earned money the hard way can be firm with it.

RustyO

Some quick lottery questions... my understanding is..

- Anonymity depends on state.

- You get a choice of lump sum or annuity for x years.

- You get taxed on your winnings.

Grym

Some quick lottery questions... my understanding is..

- Anonymity depends on state.

- You get a choice of lump sum or annuity for x years.

- You get taxed on your winnings.

- the following states allow anonymity: Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina from what I can find. Beyond that it gets complicated. I know there are other states where you can set up a trust to claim your prize thus remaining anonymous. Some other states require multi-state lottery winners name/locations to be published.

- yes lump sum vs. 29 year annuity (30 guaranteed payments over 29 years). The annuity option is the estimated prize value ($700 million paid over 29 years). If you take a lump sum, you get less than that since it is the amount they have currently rather than the amount they invest for you.

- yeah, for a pot this big, at the highest tax bracket I would think

Iorv3th

But the $4 prize is the one showing in that chart as being 1 in 39.

That is the odds for that specific prize, you have to add all the prizes in. That may be the one you have the best odds at winning but you still have the other prizes you can win on top of/separate of that.

I bought two tickets today. If I win get ready for Evil Lore/ Bish to star in BanBros.com

Dennis

Banned
Lotteries are for born suckers.

That being said, remember good old Dennis from NeoGAF if you get the jackpot.

Kadin

That is the odds for that specific prize, you have to add all the prizes in. That may be the one you have the best odds at winning but you still have the other prizes you can win on top of/separate of that.
Right but according to that chart, all the rest are even worse odds. Like I said, it's making my brain hurt because apparently math is hard. I swear I'm not an idiot but I'm not grasping this for some reason... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom