• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noah Hawley Developing Doctor Doom Movie for Fox

Floex

There seems to be a good vibe with Fox and superhero properties lately with Legion, Deadpool and of course Logan.

I'm holding down the faith on this one.

The villain of Logan was terrible! Why didn't they just go with Sabretooth??? /comic book fanboys who didn't understand the movie

Donald Pierce was fun to watch right from his very first scene, but I didn't like
X-24
the first time I saw it. Second time watching the movie though and understanding what Jim Mangold was going for, I appreciated it a lot more.

Using Sabretooth instead of
X-24
would have been dumb as hell though and would make no sense. Only purpose would be to remind everyone that X-Men Origins exists and was terrible.

JimiNutz

Banned
After Deadpool and Logan I actually have faith that Fox can deliver brilliant Marvel movies if they get the right people on board.

Sure they aren't as consistent as Marvel are with their movies, but when Fox get it right they produce something far more interesting than Marvel ever achieve.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

One of the advantages of the MCU kicking ass is that other studios have to raise their game and give properties to smart, interesting directors and writers. This is a good writer with a good character from a studio who gave us a critically acclaimed superhero movie only months ago, there's no reason to try and spin this as a negative.

Busty

Banned
Though I really like Fargo and enjoyed Hawley's spec script 'Man Alive' this just feels like a massive so what? Who is this film for? While I don't blame Fox for going after the comic book dollar after Deadpool broke out I doubt the core Marvel audience are going to be falling over themselves for this.

While Doom does have an interesting back story without being placed in context of a protagonist trying to stop him why does he deserve his own film? Yet another villain deemed to be an 'anti hero' in order to justify giving him his own film?

Also, when he says he's 'developing' the film it's possible that he isn't writing it at all as, if memory serves, his deal at Fox also calls for him to develop films that he will produce but not actually write or direct.

If Fox were to make this a dark little $20/30m film it could be interesting but they won't.

IHaveIce

Banned
Doom is only good if they go fulltime crazy with him. Real costume, magic powers and attempting to be god.

Doom also kinda only works because Reed is the perfect counterpart.

I absolutely don't trust Fox nor anybody mentioned so far to handle this in a good way. Legion is a fine show, but so far Hawley has not proved himself to make a man in an armor and hood+cape who uses magic work.

Blader

Though I really like Fargo and enjoyed Hawley's spec script 'Man Alive' this just feels like a massive so what? Who is this film for? While I don't blame Fox for going after the comic book dollar after Deadpool broke out I doubt the core Marvel audience are going to be falling over themselves for this.

While Doom does have an interesting back story without being placed in context of a protagonist trying to stop him why does he deserve his own film? Yet another villain deemed to be an 'anti hero' in order to justify giving him his own film?

Also, when he says he's 'developing' the film it's possible that he isn't writing it at all as, if memory serves, his deal at Fox also calls for him to develop films that he will produce but not actually write or direct.

If Fox were to make this a dark little $20/30m film it could be interesting but they won't.
I would be surprised if he directed it himself since's he already got two TV shows to oversee.

Legion was a really strange idea (story about Professor X's son without Professor X or any X-Men) that ended up working out pretty well, so hopefully he can work the same magic on a Dr. Doom movie too.

Top Bottom