• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura: KH 0.2 developed alongside KH3 using same tech, will amount to 1 world in KH

Let me get this straight, do you think KH3 would sell millions on the XB1? (And we're talking about people who have no prior exposure to the series)

When the Frozen world is announced, it will sell at least a million copies on Xbox just through the raw power of the Frozen IP popularity. :p

Pizza

I don't see myself buying a ps4 for probably multiple years. Generally I prefer stuff that comes out on the Xbox.

I can't really fathom how square just isn't supporting the console despite stating the third mainline game is coming to it. I really like kingdom hearts! I will buy the third game! If square were to drop the PS3 collections and 2.8 on the console, I'd buy them all.

I'm real bummed out that they're putting the game on the Xbox with no desire to cultivate any sort of fan base whatsoever. If they dropped the remakes over the next year they'd at least have *some* sort of fan base on the console prior to the newest iteration.

But what do I know!

Like always, if you want to play the majority of japanese games this console generation, you have to buy a PS4. Most games might come out on PC, but I don't see Xbox One getting many japanese games, even MGS did not that well in the UK on the XB1, despite on having the second best market share after the US.

Percy

Banned
Wait, this is PS4 exclusive? That's a pretty hard diss on XB1 considering KH3 is still supposed to release on that.

XB1 getting Dead Rising Case Zero'd big time.

Yeah, they're much much worse when it comes to delays.
I am trying to figure out when was the last time they announced a release date and then delayed it? I think they did it with FFXIV: ARR but that might be the complication of relaunching an MMO.

KH 3 and FFXV were both seen with now in development and the only recent confirmation for FFXV coming in 2016 was at TGS.

I expect the same "Now In Development" stuff in KH3 and FF VII: Remake trailers until they are absolutely sure of a release year/date.

Sony is far worse in term of delays this generation than Square Enix. Early reveals and long development times =/= Delays.

Speaking of Atlus, they have delayed Person 4: Dancing All Night. Persona 5 was also delayed 4 times since its reveal. Winter 2014 -> 2015 -> Winter 2015 -> Summer 2016.

Let me get this straight, do you think KH3 would sell millions on the XB1? (And we're talking about people who have no prior exposure to the series)

I expect that the number of people who will buy KH3 who have never played a KH game before will be in the millions across all platforms. It was a refutation to Sangetsu-II's first point.

I mean, alright? The game was announced 9 years ago. It's still not out. Is it really that strange to be wary of the game coming next year?
You aren't going to trust the director. You aren't going to agree with the facts. Instead you are just going to repeat the same old cliche phase (announced 9 years ago) when it was mentioned numerous time it was rebooted in 2012 and Versus XIII was just 25%-30% complete before reboot. It is now 70% complete as of PAX. They also released a demo of the game this year.

The only thing it shows that you won't agree to anything that somehow proves that FFXV has a high chance of getting released before KH 3.

Shenmue

Banned
Go on...

lol

If anyone needed more evidence of the xbox one announcement being a product of pre-launch current gen expectations for the xbox one to outsell the ps4... Damn.

I mean... We all assume Nomura is not THAT stupid and knew that the question referred to why it's but releasing on Xbox right?

OmegaDL50

The fact that the game has been in development for 9 years? Excuse me for having a bit of doubt over the game finally being finished in a timely manner.

You got some reductionist memory there. FFXV wasn't even in active development until 2012.

Unless you are conveniently ignoring a significant amount of Square-Enix's staff was shifted around with the disaster of FFXIV having to reboot it into A Realm Reborn.

In fact a majority of the staff that were working on the game that was known as Versus XIII were basically moved on to other projects to pick up slack elsewhere.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057197

I wouldn't be surprised SE was so strained at one point they had to even outsource to tri-Ace for work on FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

A game not actively being worked on is not the same thing as a delay. The game has yet to be given an actual release date prior to 2016 and moved to consider it actually "delayed", unlike what happened with Persona 5 in which Atlus was constantly saying "Sometime in 2015" until the delay DID happen.

Please (please!) don't quote me on this, but-

I'd totally expect some modicum of a rebalancing pass greater than what we've seen in KH1HD, KH2HD and BBSHD.

Historically, in the Kingdom Hearts series, you've had:

Remakes - going from one format to another, e.g. CoM -> Re:CoM, 2D -> 3D, etc
Remasters - Simply taking the same assets, sprucing them up, touching up for widescreen, etc.

From what we've seen of DDD HD, it's neither the former nor latter. It's using the same assets so it doesn't count as a remake in the Re:____ sense, and it's not just a remaster since many game systems need to be changed to accomodate the transition from 2 screens to 1, the least of which would be the UI. This is a far bigger change than e.g. rebalancing BBS's Mirage Arena because multiplayer is yanked.
does this mean the game won't be broken as fuck

Niosai

I'm more excited for this as Birth by Sleep was my favorite game in the series and was supposedly meant to have a sequel, but that never came to fruition. Aqua is my favorite character, and if this gives her a chance at being back for KH3, I'm 100% down.

Jigorath

Banned
The only thing it shows that you won't agree to anything that somehow proves that FFXV has a high chance of getting released before KH 3.

Is this what you're so upset about? FFXV could very easily release before KH3. I just didn't think it was an absolute fact that the game was going to get released first. I think both could come out in 2017, and either one could release before the other.
KH3 still has the advantage of being developed on a competent engine.

A game not actively being worked on is not the same thing as a delay. The game has yet to be given an actual release date prior to 2016 and moved to consider it actually "delayed", unlike what happened with Persona 5 in which Atlus was constantly saying "Sometime in 2015" until the delay DID happen.

Are you really arguing with me about the definition of a delay? lol. Okay, a game was announced nine years, still not out, but it's never technically been delayed. Great. I now have the upmost confidence in this game being finished next year.

sappyday

Is this what you're so upset about? FFXV could very easily release before KH3. I just didn't think it was an absolute fact that the game was going to get released first. I think both could come out in 2017, and either one could release before the other.

But by an incompetent director.

The one who was in denial was none other than you.

Why are you so confident that it won't release before FFXV?

Followed by

That's adorable.

Basically sums up what you thought of it. Mocking those who were saying the game will be out in 2016.

Shenmue

Banned
I don't see myself buying a ps4 for probably multiple years. Generally I prefer stuff that comes out on the Xbox.

I can't really fathom how square just isn't supporting the console despite stating the third mainline game is coming to it. I really like kingdom hearts! I will buy the third game! If square were to drop the PS3 collections and 2.8 on the console, I'd buy them all.

I'm real bummed out that they're putting the game on the Xbox with no desire to cultivate any sort of fan base whatsoever. If they dropped the remakes over the next year they'd at least have *some* sort of fan base on the console prior to the newest iteration.

But what do I know!

I really don't mean to troll or anything I swear! But you: 1) have a anime avatar and 2) "really like" KH, and 3) like xbox and don't plan to get a PS4 for quite a long time.

For me that really does not compute. Could you perhaps elucidate as to why you got an xbox? It's not as if either MS or Sony has mislead anyone that the Japanese focus would be hugely on the PS4? (On MS side: very little investment in Japanese IP, no presence at TGS, history of not caring about Japanese games except for the blip for the 360; on the PS4 side: history of supporting obscure Japanese games, Japanese company, consistent presence at TGS.)

Or do you generally like MS IP and not much Japanese stuff and KH is kind of the outlier for you? That would make sense.

Just trying to wrap my head around it.

OmegaDL50

Are you really arguing with me about the definition of a delay? lol. Okay, a game was announced nine years, still not out, but it's never technically been delayed. Great. I now have the upmost confidence in this game being finished next year.

So you want to play at semantics and simply disregard the rest of my post. Okay then.

HeelPower

Kingdom Hearts : Ground Xerox.

Printing dat money for SE.all while following a strict naming convention and 1uping Konami.
Xerox-Phaser-4510b.jpg

If you expected JRPGs to show up on the Xbox One after what happened last gen and with what's happening this gen with sales, you only have yourself to blame.

HeelPower

The decision not to bring this for XBO was probably directly informed by Type-0/Duscae's performance on the platform.

I feel a bit sorry for SE.That version probably Tanked like a Tank and the development efforts weren't worth it.

Rocky

Banned
I expect that the number of people who will buy KH3 who have never played a KH game before will be in the millions across all platforms. It was a refutation to Sangetsu-II's first point.

And I expect that most who are buying KH3 are existing fans of the series and know that the KH main games have always been Playstation. So they will probably drift toward the PS4 version. SE knows this, hence why they mostly talk about PS4 development and hardly mention the port.

Mark my words, the PS4 version will clobber the XB1 version in sales. Especially in Japan where I don't think even 10K XB1s have been sold yet.

The decision not to bring this for XBO was probably directly informed by Type-0/Duscae's performance on the platform.

I feel a bit sorry for SE.That version probably Tanked like a Tank and the development efforts weren't worth it.
Which was a horrible litmus test.
I could care less about FF-0 when it came out.
KH, YES!
I pre-ordered when Amazon had it for $40

On Demand

Banned
Why are people still confused at no XB1 JRPG support? Like it's getting kind of annoying reading it in these threads.

It been explained over and over. You know why already.

raven777

I am curious if they will release a digital version. This could be the first Kingdom Hearts game that is released digitally (other than the mobile/browser stuff)

Kinda wondering what they mean by one world. I mean, all the entries I've played recently had me visit a world multiple times, so I'm struggling to understand quite how long that will be in actual gameplay hours, if it'll be the same length as one episode in a world for KH2, or if it'll equate to multiple.

I'm hoping for the latter, because I really want to spend at least a couple hours on this.

EDIT: also really interested in what it means for Back Cover to be using UE4. I'm pretty sure they said it wasn't playable. Also, the line about KH3D practically being a complete remake, I really hope that's not something he's saying lightly, because from what I've seen, that game could definitely benefit from some fine tuning.

raven777

Kinda wondering what they mean by one world. I mean, all the entries I've played recently had me visit a world multiple times, so I'm struggling to understand quite how long that will be in actual gameplay hours, if it'll be the same length as one episode in a world for KH2, or if it'll equate to multiple.

I'm hoping for the latter, because I really want to spend at least a couple hours on this.

It would be cool if it's latter, but I fear it will be the former.

HeelPower

Which was a horrible litmus test.
I could care less about FF-0 when it came out.
KH, YES!
I pre-ordered when Amazon had it for $40

SE tried earnestly to support MS so many times and it didn't really pay off.At least not as much one would've hoped.

This title is highly unlikely to sell much at all in general and particularly on XBO.

Like always, if you want to play the majority of japanese games this console generation, you have to buy a PS4. Most games might come out on PC, but I don't see Xbox One getting many japanese games, even MGS did not that well in the UK on the XB1, despite on having the second best market share after the US.

Why are people still confused at no XB1 JRPG support? Like it's getting kind of annoying reading it in these threads.

It been explained over and over. You know why already.

Kingdom Hearts isn't most JRPGs this is the most unjrpg a JRPG can reasonably get. I don't think many are begging for Nier or Tales of to get an Xbox release, considering how that worked out for the 360, but when we're already getting KH3 it's not too much to ask to get the remakes leading up to the series.

Now read the quote in the OP and guess why people are wondering why they completely glossed over the XBO.

Sure risk reward ratio is probably the answer but that makes the complete neglect of the platform they are intending to port 2 of their biggest releases on any better.

OmegaDL50

SE tried earnestly to support MS so many times and it didn't really pay off.At least not as much one would've hoped.

This title is highly unlikely to sell much at all in general and particularly on XBO.

Yeah it's a shame.

I don't own an Xbox One and am a PS4 owner but I think it's fair for those who an Xbox One get equal treatment in this regard in terms of releases and content (not including console exclusives, of course)

Like the thing with Naoki Yoshida wanting to get FFXIV on the Xbox One to have that much of a larger userbase and contractions being made there.

Maybe they'll be a special edition of KHIII for the Xbox One that includes all of 0.2 and 2.8's content in a bundle so they don't get to miss out.

This is just one of those cases in that the lack of Japanese support the Xbox One is hurting in this regard. It's unfortunate but little can be done.

funkypie

Banned
so will 2.8 include kingdom hearts 2? that bit confused me as I still need to play 2 but skipped chain of memories as I find it shit.

He didn't even discuss Xbox One. Kinda baffling since 3 is coming to XBO. Part of me wonders why they aren't cancelling it if they aren't going to support it.
Possibly because KH 3D used the touch screen for the and PS4 has the touchpad to make the game work on the console easier? That was one big reason I thought of.

ps3ud0

Slightly OT but does this dash the idea of getting 1.5 and 2.5 on PS4? Avoided them on PS3 as thought likely to be ported because of KH3.

I bet SE like the idea of doing pre-DLC which they'll sell before KH3 :p - nice new profit stream, guess MGS:GZ was the start of that ;)

ps3ud0 8)

Kingdom Hearts isn't most JRPGs this is the most unjrpg a JRPG can reasonably get. I don't think many are begging for Nier or Tales of to get an Xbox release, considering how that worked out for the 360, but when we're already getting KH3 it's not too much to ask to get the remakes leading up to the series.

Now read the quote in the OP and guess why people are wondering why they completely glossed over the XBO.

Sure risk reward ratio is probably the answer but that makes the complete neglect of the platform they are intending to port 2 of their biggest releases on any better.

MGS is less japanese than Kingdom Hearts to me and it still managed to sell best on Playstation consoles.

LAA

Good to hear it's at least the length of a world...wonder if it's based on the typical 2nd visit or not...

Feel sorry for Xbox people, but at the same time, SE have favoured playstation for a long time. I don't see why people would pick up an Xbox if they were SE fans. History shows they're more at home on PS.

MGS is less japanese than Kingdom Hearts to me and it still managed to sell best on Playstation consoles.

And how is that surprising MGS isn't a JRPG but as someone who got into MGS only just now that V might have been part of the reason. You can play 2, 3 and PW on the 360 can't you but 4 is PS3 exclusive. A PC to XBO comparison would be more interesting tbh.

Top Bottom