• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Northeast Championship (NEC) XII | Fighting game tournament | December 3-4

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Probably the least annoying "bullshit" thing in UMvC3. Oh you got 50k more damage in, congrats. It's a non-issue to me.

No, it's not, because it is something that is truly COMPLETELY random. You literally have zero control over it as Wesker. And it does hit hard, especially in X-Factor... or you can X-Factor/DHC off of the few random hits and kill a character.

You have to look at the bigger picture a few random hits actually makes.

Anyway, I agree it's still early, but it's been a silly mechanic in the game from the start. Chris G was pushblocking during it to extend blockstun and avoid cross-ups. Sure, let's wait a few tournaments in first, but I think that a reserved adjustment to the glasses makes a lot of sense... but Capcom will probably nerf the shit out of him instead.

Razor210

That 150k or however can mean a lot in such crucial moments.
Xfactor beams do even more than that with chip damage, and they aren't as easily punishable.

Not to mention there are actually characters who are capable of punishing from full screen for more damage (Hawkeye, Dr. Strange) and it's virtually impossible to avoid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No, it's not, because it is something that is truly COMPLETELY random. You literally have zero control over it. And it does hit hard, especially in X-Factor... or you can X-Factor/DHC off of the few random hits and kill a character.

You have to look at the bigger picture a few random hits actually makes.

Anyway, I agree it's still early, but it's been a silly mechanic in the game from the start. Chris G was pushblocking during it to extend blockstun and avoid cross-ups.
I've never seen a match where a Phantom Dance cross up led to anything consequential. Ever. That's why it is a non-issue to me. Probably should be patched out, but where priorities lie, there's about a million things I'd rather have patched in/out than that. No one ever bitched about it in Vanilla cause it amounted to nothing, despite said randomness.

Probably the least annoying "bullshit" thing in UMvC3. Oh you got 50k more damage in, congrats. It's a non-issue to me.

The glasses mechanic is unnecessary, and probably should be removed, but your being naive if you want it out this early, and ignorant of the potential metagame. Imagine if before Balance Patch 01 came out Niitsuma and co actually took some of the Phoenix and Wolverine madness into account, people wouldn't be bitching as much. Screaming for patches early is stupid.

Your talking meta, yet you don't realize the BS meta of the random cross up? You are doing a raw hyper that is hard to punish, and getting basically a XF1 bonus for just doing it. The extra damage is icing on the cake. I want the glasses buff.

Dude, just on principle , you should want a super move that RANDOMLY CROSSES UP be not in the game. wth.

You want random in fighting games? I don't.

Anth0ny

it combos into dhc's

They should patch it out, and get rid of the glasses bullshit. But knowing Capcom, they'll just nerf his health to 800k or some shit.

The glasses mechanic is unnecessary, and probably should be removed, but your being naive if you want it out this early, and ignorant of the potential metagame. Imagine if before Balance Patch 01 came out Niitsuma and co actually took some of the Phoenix and Wolverine madness into account, people wouldn't be bitching as much. Screaming for patches early is stupid.
I'm not following this. It sounds like you are contradicting yourself here.

*scratches head*
I've never seen a match where a Phantom Dance cross up led to anything consequential. Ever. That's why it is a non-issue to me. Probably should be patched out, but where priorities lie, there's about a million things I'd rather have patched in/out than that. No one ever bitched about it in Vanilla cause it amounted to nothing, despite said randomness.
DHC into two more hypers? Sounds pretty easy to do on paper.
You forgot a 1 frame command grab.
Nah, that is his thing, bro.

Arde5643

Xfactor beams do even more than that with chip damage, and they aren't as easily punishable.

Not to mention there are actually characters who are capable of punishing from full screen for more damage (Hawkeye, Dr. Strange) and it's virtually impossible to avoid.

WTF are you talking about? x-factor beams don't cross-up randomly - if you see it, you know that once blocked, you just push block it.

The current phantom dance, however, it randomly crosses up when you least expect it - even after blocking it. It's fucking random and dumb.

My biggest issue with Wesker is he literally fits on any team, and does not require any kind of special help to get the most out of him. His gun shot assist = great for any team. He's fine in any of the three spots. Plus, his level 1 hyper will fit in any DHC set up.

Toss in the fact he has high health, level 4 x factor, high damage, crazy mix ups, and well yeah you got a character that makes any team better and deserves some adjustments.

Not to mention a -1 on block launcher. Whereas everyone else is seemingly -10 frames and beyond on launcher.

...the fuck is that shit.

h3ro

Well, you were saying that the top tier in Vanilla wasn't ravaged (nerfed) just because PR Balrog (who has one of the best Wolverine's in the world) was able to win it using him. I'm just saying that's simply not true.

Ravaged implies a severe nerf as in dropping down to Hsien-Ko/KFC tier which none of the top characters from Vanilla recieved. Wolverine is still a great character, not only shown by Rog, but Noel and Justin before him. I was trying to point out that, while they (top tier from vanilla) did have some move priority and damage changes, those characters that were tops in Vanilla are still damn good now. Did they receive more changes than Wesker? Yes, but they are far from ravaged. Again, I think we generally agree, but the word ravaged threw me off.

Do I think Wesker will need some changes? Absolutely. Do I think he needs to be adjusted right now? No way, I think the game needs way more time before we see a v2012 style patch.

Speaking of which, I'm kind of feeling some SF action right now. I can actually play SF competently (at a basic level anyway) and it works well with my old man reactions. Add me to those excited for v2012.

Dahbomb

LOL even if a random Phantom Dance cross up does only 50K damage it's still fucking dumb (for the record it does closer to 150K-300K depending on how early it crosses up and way more if in X factor). Matches can and have been decided on this property on the move. It's not just that it crosses up... it buffs up Wesker when he uses it and if you connect you can even go into DHC -> X factor for the kill. Like let's say I am Wesker vs Dante against their last character... I random Phantom Dance get a hit on a BLOCKED cross up... DHC into Million Dollar and then X factor for the character kill. So many people at the tournament just did this move randomly highlighted the dumb factor that is attached to the property of this move.

People defending this shit is hilarious. Seriously please continue.

your being naive if you want it out this early
So when should we get the glasses change? After EVO when we go through 8 Wesker teams in top 8 and a Wesker team winning EVO... again?

The meta game of UMVC3 as of this post is you either have Wesker on your team on anchor or you don't and you have characters in every slot who have decent/good match ups against Wesker. Because if you don't you are done at tournaments. If the meta game of a FG is based around ONE CHARACTER... that is grounds for a balance change.

Why do people keep bringing up Sentinel to Wesker like it's the same thing? MVC3 was a completely new game, new engine and nothing was figured out about any character. We know a lot more now than we did. That's why EVERYONE here said that Wesker was going to be hella popular at NEC... and guess what he was HELLA popular at NEC!

No one ever bitched about it in Vanilla cause it amounted to nothing
People bitched about it plenty but back then you didn't have mashable hypers doing more damage, air X Factor and Phantom Dance buffing the hyper before it even begins.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not following this. It sounds like you are contradicting yourself here.

*scratches head*

DHC into two more hypers? Sounds pretty easy to do on paper.
How am I contradicting myself? If a patch was released later into the metagame when Phoenix and Wolverine stuff emerged, they would have a better picture of the overall balance environment rather than going off of early conjectures and annoyances. The same way people came up with anti-Sent strats, and even anti-Phoenix strats later on makes it clear that you have to let a game develop before you suddenly inject it with a bulk amount of margin of error in the form of a balancing patch

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOL even if a random Phantom Dance cross up does only 50K damage it's still fucking dumb (for the record it does closer to 150K-300K depending on how early it crosses up and way more if in X factor). Matches can and have been decided on this property on the move. It's not just that it crosses up... it buffs up Wesker when he uses it and if you connect you can even go into DHC -> X factor for the kill. Like let's say I am Wesker vs Dante against their last character... I random Phantom Dance get a hit on a BLOCKED cross up... DHC into Million Dollar and then X factor for the character kill. So many people at the tournament just did this move randomly highlighted the dumb factor that is attached to the property of this move.

People defending this shit is hilarious. Seriously please continue.

So when should we get the glasses change? After EVO when we go through 8 Wesker teams and a Wesker team winning EVO... again?

The meta game of UMVC3 as of this post is you either have Wesker on your team on anchor or you don't and you have characters in every slot who have decent/good match ups against Wesker. Because if you don't you are done at tournaments. If the meta game of a FG is based around ONE CHARACTER... that is grounds for a balance change.

Why do people keep bringing up Sentinel to Wesker like it's the same thing? MVC3 was a completely new game, new engine and nothing was figured out about any character. We know a lot more now than we did. That's why EVERYONE here said that Wesker was going to be hella popular at NEC... and guess what he was HELLA popular at NEC!

People bitched about it plenty but back then you didn't have mashable hypers doing more damage, air X Factor and Phantom Dance buffing the hyper before it even begins.
Who's defending it? Read my posts, it's quite obviously bullshit, both Wesker mechanics. Anytime something is rebalanced or changes are made on a cast-wide degree, you shouldn't be fishing for nerfs PERIOD so early. It doesn't mean jack shit if it's a new game or not. Let said new balancing, new environment develop. The Sentinel comparison is 1:1. If you say that it needs to be removed now, your being 100% ignorant of potential counter-strats, especially if you DO believe that the metagame revolves around Wesker at this point, which you do in fact agree with. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Azure J

Enzo, you're one of my boys in Mahvel GAF, but advocating against a Wesker "re-evaluation" and citing that random cross-up isn't an issue is kinda "C'mon, son." And this is with casual level observations.

Edit: Actually I misunderstood you (somewhat) there, my bad.

@h3ro: Didn't really mean ravaged in the sense of "hide yo' tools, hide yo healf cuz Capcom's nerfin' errybody out here!" Just saying that they really did some heavy re-tweaking of what was considered the highest cusp of the vanilla metagame with tweaks that were both made blatant for the characters and subtle with system changes. Yet, even with all of this taken into consideration, with the combination of the sunglasses mechanic & his entire game plan being "hit really hard on first opening" not only does he run trains through teams, all the characters that hard countered him (while still good to ok at it) have to be even more careful to start their shenanigans than Wesker has to be to body them in one Ground - Air Magic series to THC.

In other news, Bipson match was LOL.

Top Bottom