• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Northeast Championship (NEC) XII | Fighting game tournament | December 3-4

Razor210

WTF are you talking about? x-factor beams don't cross-up randomly - if you see it, you know that once blocked, you just push block it.

The current phantom dance, however, it randomly crosses up when you least expect it - even after blocking it. It's fucking random and dumb.
I was trying to say that its still a lot of unavoidable damage - but I get where you guys are coming from. Though, complaining about that when there are homing supers in this game that punish you for attempting to actually play the game is a little shortsighted I think.

h3ro

From the UMvC3 OT:
This is how Wesker's sunglasses should work imo:
s9jYm.gif

:lol truth.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyway, I agree it's still early, but it's been a silly mechanic in the game from the start. Chris G was pushblocking during it to extend blockstun and avoid cross-ups.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that pushblocking has the opposite effect, and eliminates absolute guard (auto-block for left/right during blockstun), making cross-ups MORE likely.

I purposefully DO NOT advance guard against Strider's oroborous for exactly that reason.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, you're one of my boys in Mahvel GAF, but advocating against a Wesker "re-evaluation" and citing that random cross-up isn't an issue is kinda "C'mon, son." And this is with casual level observations.

Edit: Actually I misunderstood you there, my bad.

@h3ro: Didn't really mean ravaged in the sense of "hide yo' tools, hide yo healf cuz Capcom's nerfin' errybody out here!" Just saying that they really did some heavy re-tweaking of what was considered the highest cusp of the vanilla metagame with tweaks that were both made blatant for the characters and subtle with system changes. Yet, even with all of this taken into consideration, with the combination of the sunglasses mechanic & his entire game plan being "hit really hard on first opening" not only does he run trains through teams, all the characters that hard countered him (while still good to ok at it) have to be even more careful to start their shenanigans than Wesker has to be to body them in one Ground - Air Magic series to THC.

In other news, Bipson match was LOL.
Okay, it's random, it's an issue, but a non-issue in the context of everything else in UMvC3. Literally the bottom of the list of things wrong in UMvC3. I can't think of anything else lower.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually, I'm pretty sure that pushblocking has the opposite effect, and eliminates absolute guard (auto-block for left/right during blockstun), making cross-ups MORE likely.

I purposefully DO NOT advance guard against Strider's oroborous for exactly that reason.

Oh, really? I didn't know that it eliminated absolute guard. Chris G was totally doing it the last few matches, and it seemed like it was deliberately because he wanted the increased blockstun... Maybe since Wesker's super whiffs/crosses-up so often that absolute guard is less reliable than having extra blockstun?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I've never seen this Gridman before since I've been out of the loop for a few months, but he cleaned PR's clock like nobodies business just now.

The meta game of UMVC3 as of this post is you either have Wesker on your team on anchor or you don't and you have characters in every slot who have decent/good match ups against Wesker. Because if you don't you are done at tournaments. If the meta game of a FG is based around ONE CHARACTER... that is grounds for a balance change.

Has there ever even been a good fighting game where matchups DON'T come into play? How is what you described not just plain ol' matchups?

You say there are characters who have good matchups against Wesker. Why don't people just actually play them when they run into a Wesker team?

Even if Wesker gets nerfed, another character becomes the new Mr Popular. The game needs to be rebalanced again because you need to be able to construct a team that can cover the matchup? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It sounds like you're describing most fighting games. I'd say it's pretty ludicrous to say the meta is all Wesker when he has more than a handful of counterpicks.

Again, nobody is denying he has stupid shit. All the characters worth their salt do.

Let's at least flesh it out all in one go instead of having a metric ton of versions of the game.

Should probably take this to the Marvel thread instead of derailing the NEC thread D: Sorry yall.

Has there ever even been a good fighting game where matchups DON'T come into play? How is what you described not just plain ol' matchups?

You say there are characters who have good matchups against Wesker. Why don't people just actually play them when they run into a Wesker team?

Even if Wesker gets nerfed, another character becomes the new Mr Popular. The game needs to be rebalanced again because you need to be able to construct a team that can cover the matchup? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It sounds like you're describing most fighting games. I'd say it's pretty ludicrous to say the meta is all Wesker when he has more than a handful of counterpicks.

Again, nobody is denying he has stupid shit. All the characters worth their salt do.

Let's at least flesh it out all in one go instead of having a metric ton of versions of the game.

Should probably take this to the Marvel thread instead of derailing the NEC thread D: Sorry yall.

Tell that to FChamp/Art/Mike Ross, and everybody else who complained about the big 3, especially Yun, in AE.

Why didn't they just learn new characters? They eventually tweaked (after arcades made their money back).

At least make Wesker connect with the super and earn the damn XF1 bonus. Not let them do raw hypers, that come with a bonus of a random cross up.

alstein

Badaboom!

I'm really anxious to see how the scene takes to it. Marvel's lookin kinda Dark Wesker, and people might be in the mood for something new come February . . .

Maybe it was in the UMVC3 thread, but I remember reading some post that had at least ten bad match-ups for Dark Wesker with all his buffs on deck. To me that says that there's definitely a way to deal with him, in theory, but still, Weskers. Everywhere.

I think in a way, Capcom's crap 2011 has been great for the FGC- it's really going to give other games a chance. I don't think it's a slam-dunk that Apology Edition will bring players back, and with UMVC3's poor sales who knows if a patch will come. If people can't find anti-Wesker people may be all "don't hate the playa, hate the game" and move to something else.

KOF got a solid reception, and while the netcode's bad, it's not so bad as to kill the game if enough people are playing it- I think it's going to stick around. Lots of folks are going to be looking for a new game next year, it's never been a better time for poverty.

I've had the first hit of a Phantom Dance cross me up - we all have. That means eating a full hyper for no good reason at all. It's dumb.

Tell that to FChamp/Art/Mike Ross, and everybody else who complained about the big 3, especially Yun, in AE.

Why didn't they just learn new characters? They eventually tweaked (after arcades made their money back).

At least make Wesker connect with the super and earn the damn XF1 bonus. Not let them do raw hypers, that come with a bonus of a random cross up.

Who did those characters lose to, though? Characters with what are essentially 6-4's (and many more advantageous matchups) across the board with a 5.5 and 5 sprinkled in here and there are hardly the same as one of the top characters who have legit counterpicks in a team game.

Random crossup is dumb though, lol.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I've had the first hit of a Phantom Dance cross me up - we all have. That means eating a full hyper for no good reason at all. It's dumb.

It truly is. Vergil does the same thing to, right?

Honestly, Phantom Dance crossup wasn't the biggest issue with people getting crushed by Wesker. A lot of the time people were straight up not blocking the c.M, after the shades came off. Showing him absolutely no respect after he power-ups and trying to go in.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think in a way, Capcom's crap 2011 has been great for the FGC- it's really going to give other games a chance. I don't think it's a slam-dunk that Apology Edition will bring players back, and with UMVC3's poor sales who knows if a patch will come. If people can't find anti-Wesker people may be all "don't hate the playa, hate the game" and move to something else.

KOF got a solid reception, and while the netcode's bad, it's not so bad as to kill the game if enough people are playing it- I think it's going to stick around. Lots of folks are going to be looking for a new game next year, it's never been a better time for poverty.
lolno. There is no cause and effect relationship between Capcom being stupid in 2011 and other games getting more exposure, or else Capcom would've died after SF3 with that logic. In fact, they've actually gotten better as the year has gone on.

And I'm not sure where your getting the idea that UMvC3 sold poor. Maybe you were looking at the ******** numbers that even Sven laughed at mockingly. We don't know how well it sold yet. People can't shake the Capcom nameplate, and largely they still make games that appeal to their core fanbase, despite the coexistence of bullshit.

EDIT: vee gee chartz

lolno. There is no cause and effect relationship between Capcom being stupid in 2011 and other games getting more exposure, or else Capcom would've died after SF3 with that logic. In fact, they've actually gotten better as the year has gone on.

And I'm not sure where your getting the idea that UMvC3 sold poor. Maybe you were looking at the ******** numbers that even Sven laughed at mockingly. We don't know how well it sold yet. People can't shake the Capcom nameplate, and largely they still make games that appeal to their core fanbase, despite the coexistence of bullshit.

EDIT: vee gee chartz
He didn't mention sales numbers(Edit: Just read his post again. I hope he ain't relying on V333G333 chaartzz). MvC3 was a mess and AE was retarded though. I think he was alluding to that more than sales numbers.

Also, Capcom fighters are a part of the genre and they directly compete with other fighting games. People getting frustrated with Capcom fighters or a Capcom fighter means three things.

1. People play other genres
2. People play other fighting games from other companies
3. People play other Capcom fighters

Overall increased output from other fighting game companies means they have a chance at stealing some of that audience away even if only temporarily. Also, other companies stealing away customers has absolutely no permanent effects on how things turn out in the future. Companies grow, become smaller and then EXPLODE just because they got it right. Nintendo is a good example of that in hardware and software.

Top Bottom