• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not Enough Shaders: ACKKStudios claims gaming site fished for Nintendo bashing answer

YWSCf.png
Games Journalism

freddy

Banned
Indeed, Emily.

Hopefully Kotaku is on the phone to ACKK sorting this shit out and asking a few decent questions about the game as well. I'm certainly interested in hearing more about it.

She shouldn't have revealed the developers name; original article should have remained though. Even if it were with an update.

It was truly stupid and unprofessional. The story is in the open now anyway, thank god the internet is still a democratic place for information (wonder how long).

Personally I feel sorry for the developers. Getting a big interview for your game, getting your hopes up, just to then realize that it isn't your work that's on the agenda must be pretty disheartening.

On the other hand, maybe this is good. Maybe it is time for a new establishment of video game information sources.

Wait then who the hell did she talk to? The wall? Herself? A super secret source? Or does she mean she should have sought an official comment from both the interviewer and the studio as a whole?

...she means sending the finished article to the studio to make sure that they're happy with what she's about to publish

Corto

Wait then who the hell did she talk to? The wall? Herself? A super secret source? Or does she mean she should have sought an official comment from both the interviewer and the studio as a whole?

I think she means permission to publish the story in the first place. But who knows? Maybe the original article was just hearsay from secondary sources.

She published an article without consent from the developer? Wow. How did she think that was a good idea to name the studio if that was the case?

Hey man, I heard a rumor that you cheated on your wife. Is that true? Wait... you didn't? Ahh shit, did I ask this question on the internet? DELETE, DELETE!

watershed

Banned
Maybe this is what happens when people who aren't real journalists try to become hard hitting, fact finding, truth digging video game journalists.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
And this, indie developers, is why you don't trust or form special relationships with people like Emily Rogers.

6Xmzw.jpg

If anyone ever asks about the state of gaming journalism, refer them to this thread. It's all amateur hour up in here. Kotaku and Not Enough Shaders both.

Mr. Schreier probably should have sent a heads up to his interviewees. Sure he's not obligated to but professional courtesy.

And I have pretty much had it up to here with the blog/enthusiast scene. Hey Emily, always try to get the other side - it makes for better stories.

Schreier doesn't bother to fact check & you think he will follow unwritten rules of professional courtesy(& Rogers probably has a worse record than he does)?

freddy

Banned
Maybe this is what happens when people who aren't real journalists try to become hard hitting, fact finding, truth digging video game journalists.

Eh, you generally fall over a few times when you do things with your life. You can apologise and learn from it or curl up in a ball and shut the world out. I think you'll find a lot of the guys from your favourite sites have a similar story to tell.

Edit: WTF? Lol...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The use of "written" rather than "published" is an interesting one. Was there zero empirical basis for the assertion that Kotaku was refusing to publish the ACKK interview due to it being insufficient click-bait? In other words, was that slant just an assumption on her part?

D-e-f-

Banned
So now we're jumping from the original issue presented to "ha it's been taken down lolz!"?

The article was about iffy questions being asked under maybe not false but at least unclear pretense. That's what needs to be addressed.

I don't really think making this about thorough research how this should evolve. I also strongly believe that it's not exactly the classiest way to basically shift focus away from the original issue by publicly calling out rookie mistakes. Kotaku could've reached out to NES just as easily and asked them to take the article down or to clarify things since they were a) not publicly named and b) will walk away from this undamaged while both the developers and NES' rep will take a hit in certain circles.

Not very nice.

edit: Apparently the original article wasn't even about Kotaku. Kinda makes it even less nice, Mr. Schreier.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sorry, I'm going to have to ask everyone who placed a bet on Kotaku to please return their winnings. That includes you jschreier.

Are we back on for Polygon?

Also not just naming the dev but then hinting at the site. She was supposed to be making a wider point; no need for specifics on who asked what. Its the fact it was supposedly all to be negative.

The interview was for NES; they just haven't posted it yet.

But a Kotaku employee just..

.. my head hurts

Devs twitter says they do lots of interviews tbf; I do think the real story here is that a Kotaku employee thought it was them from being accused of click baiting.
Unless they were asking leading questions; trying to get a click story and this is the real reason it hasn't been posted yet.

So Kotaku? What made you think it was you?

z0m3le

Banned
article deleted instead of updated?

GAMES JOURNALISM!

As someone who writes articles for NotEnoughShaders, I agree the article should probably of been updated for the sake of journalism (even though we are just a small community posting interviews we are lucky enough to get and no one is paid, clicks don't actually mean anything on our site since there isn't a single ad on it)

But had we of updated the article instead of pull it, it would of hurt ACKKStudios, there really isn't much harm it could do to us, at least that I could imagine, but these guys have a great game in two brothers and I really want to see that succeed, also I am interested in future unannounced titles that they are likely already putting together. So considering them, we had to pull it, I hope our site learns from this but at the same time, I don't want to be afraid to report something either.

Are we back on for Polygon?

Also not just naming the dev but then hinting at the site. She was supposed to be making a wider point; no need for specifics on who asked what. Its the fact it was supposedly all to be negative.

I'm on it being Kotaku but she's trying to pretend it wasn't in some attempt to cover her ass.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow, such a classic thread, I don't even know what to say now.

The last two pages of stuff, wow.

As someone who writes articles for NotEnoughShaders, I agree the article should probably of been updated for the sake of journalism (even though we are just a small community posting interviews we are lucky enough to get and no one is paid, clicks don't actually mean anything on our site since there isn't a single ad on it)

But had we of updated the article instead of pull it, it would of hurt ACKKStudios, there really isn't much harm it could do to us, at least that I could imagine, but these guys have a great game in two brothers and I really want to see that succeed, also I am interested in future unannounced titles that they are likely already putting together. So considering them, we had to pull it, I hope our site learns from this but at the same time, I don't want to be afraid to report something either.

Writer for the site uses "Would of" instead of "Would've" or "would have" :/

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So you are denying the accusations of how the interview went down? Is it also common practice to not have an interview posted after three weeks without giving an ETA on when it will be online?

While it's easy to bash Jason on this, I can say from experience that interviews don't go up in the day that you finish them. I've had features pushed back for days/weeks due to timing and other internal stuff, too.
EDIT: For an ETA, I normally don't even say that we will have X stuff up on X date. It will be up, when it's up. Once it is, you just email the person or company to let them know.

In short, publishing an interview with a relatively unknown studio during the "Call of Duty, AC3, etc." "news" week is not a good idea. I agree with Scheier on this. Simply put, there's a reason why there are tons of Black Ops 2, etc. news and whatnot. It's because that's what people want to read up on when that game is near or around release.

Of course, we can't say for certain if Jason was baiting for negative Nintendo stuff for hits. If so, that's a no-no, too.

The bigger problem here is that this Emily didn't even try to reach Jason or even the studio (based on her tweet) and running the piece. I mean, Twitter is a click away and it's not like you have to jump through PR hoops to get a response. It's just uncalled for given how easy it is to do nowadays.

Corto

Emily Rogers a few hours from now: "Article? What article? I'm just a gastronomy blogger, I don't even know what a Nintendo is!"

Defendants have heard from the witnesses. Key witness still missing from the scene.

Now she's saying it wasn't Kotaku.

She's in full damage control mode now.

But a Kotaku employee just..

.. my head hurts

Sorry, I'm going to have to ask everyone who placed a bet on Kotaku to please return their winnings. That includes you jschreier.

It wasn't, until they decided it was. Then it was concluded that it wasn't so it is.

Can you bet on yourself as the rider of the winning horse?

Emily says it wasn't Kotaku but Kotaku says it was. Is this the beginning of the end? Were the Mayans right? Is a spacetime vortex about to swallow the Earth? Does gaming journalism suck?

Top Bottom