• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noted Quack The Food Babe, her critics and the war on Chemicals in our foodstuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Not really familiar, but I remember that azodicarbonamide nonsense. If she was one of the people pushing that, she's an idiot.

xsarien

daedsiluap
The term "processed" is another thing I take issue with. It's far too generic and doesn't speak about what part of the processing is so bad.

We have processes for canned tomatoes, which many people prefer because they are about as fresh as they can be right off the vine. We have flash frozen vegetables, which helps maintain freshness in much the same way. We have a process for isolating chickens before being cleared for butchering, to ensure antibiotics used while they are being raised are no longer present in their system at time of sale.

Rather than saying "avoid processed food" people should be saying "avoid foods that have gone through this specific process."

No, I agree, but for the sake of conversation I think in most contexts we can all agree that by "processed" most people mean "Kraft", not locally made yogurt. :)

Cyan

Banned
but what about all the dihydrogen monoxide in our water

Did you know that hydrogen--found in the supposedly clean and processed water that we drink every day--is also found in thermonuclear weapons?

That's right, you're drinking bombs every day.

Opiate

No, I agree, but for the sake of conversation I think in most contexts we can all agree that by "processed" most people mean "Kraft", not locally made yogurt. :)

I agree to an extent, but part of the problem with a term like "processed foods" is that it's very vague, and can refer to whatever you need it to refer to at the time. Twinkies are processed, but what about sausage? What about skim milk?

Every food is processed to some extent, and people tend to set the bar for being a "processed" food wherever it is convenient for their argument. I completely agree with you that I understand what people are sort-of-kind-of saying when they say "processed," but that's really my issue; it's a sort-of-kind-of word. Vague, nebulous words allow you to make broad claims because it's really hard to refute something that is so broad in its reach.

I can handle people's dumb ideas all day every day without batting an eye...but once they start managing to spread their influence outside of the internet into day-to-day life and how normal, otherwise ignorant people think about things, I start to get pissed off.

Especially when it means I've got to take time debunking this stuff to people in my life.

Opiate

The Food Babe?

Sounds like a credible authority to me.

I find it interesting that she criticizes articles for referring to her looks -- they sometimes suggest her photogenic appearance has helped her cause. She cites some of them as sexist, and at times I think she has a case.

But it certainly mutes the impact of her argument when she self describes as "the food babe." It would be sort of like a plumber choosing to call his company "Hot Hunky Man Meat Plumber and Sons" and then getting upset when some of the clients refer to his appearance.

Wensih

The craziest bit about the oxygen complaint is that a plane that had 100 percent oxygen being pumped into it would be MASSIVELY dangerous. It wouldn't be difficult to just incinerate all the passengers.

I would be worried about hyperoxia, personally.

Risible

She's an anti-vaccine person. Already all credibility lost.

"She pointed out that her undergraduate major was actually in the College of Engineering at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, so she took “hard science, oh my gosh, Physics 3, Calculus 3.” Asked how she liked them, she said, “I mean, who likes those?”

Ummm, engineers? I enjoyed all of my science classes. My degree was in electrical engineering but I still enjoyed my chem classes. I don't think I'm in the minority there.

Did you know that hydrogen--found in the supposedly clean and processed water that we drink every day--is also found in thermonuclear weapons?

That's right, you're drinking bombs every day.

Mind figuratively blown.

And probably literally soon as well since I'm sipping on a glass of water right no-

Opiate

She's an anti-vaccine person. Already all credibility lost.

"She pointed out that her undergraduate major was actually in the College of Engineering at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, so she took “hard science, oh my gosh, Physics 3, Calculus 3.” Asked how she liked them, she said, “I mean, who likes those?”

Ummm, engineers? I enjoyed all of my science classes. My degree was in electrical engineering but I still enjoyed my chem classes. I don't think I'm in the minority there.

Yes, two complaints about that: 1) Those things are fun and interesting, and 2) They aren't relevant to the topic.

Imagine someone applying to NASA's space flight teams listing his credentials as a biology major. Okay, that's great and all, but do you have an education in physics and engineering? Because that's what's actually relevant to the task at hand.

Dennis

Banned
I want synthetic chemical crap out of my food so I am OK with this.

So sometimes maybe a harmless additive gets unfairly targeted sometimes?

Boohoo, err on the side of caution not on the side food corporations.

I don't care if it hurts their bottom line. Their whole endeavor is to make people eat food that is as crap as possible.

I don't care if it hurts their bottom line. Their whole endeavor is to make people eat food that is as crap as possible.

Are you eating bugs like how real men used to eat back when we were a healthy species? #Paleo4EVER

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dihydrogen monoxide is also used in the production of yoga mats, and there air outside isn't pure oxygen either.

HOW ARE WE STILL ALIVE?

I'm sure everybody who took multivariable calc has nothing but fond memories of the course

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Can I ask what synthetic chemicals you're currently worried about, or what makes you feel that in general, synthetic chemicals are more dangerous than non synthetic?

Dennis

Banned
Can I ask what synthetic chemicals you're currently worried about, or what makes you feel that in general, synthetic chemicals are more dangerous than non synthetic?

It is mostly that they are likely foreign to the human food supply and as such it is very hard to say for certain what their affects on the human body will be. Alone or in combination with whatever else you are taking in.

As a practicing scientist my confidence in food safety agencies declaring something "safe" is virtually non-existent.

You are likely not to drop dead but other that I wouldn't trust a thing. Biology is ridiculously complex.

entremet

It is mostly that they are likely foreign to the human food supply and as such it is very hard to say for certain what their affects on the human body will be. Alone or in combination with whatever else you are taking in.

As a practicing scientist my confidence in food safety agencies declaring something "safe" is virtually non-existent.

You are likely not to drop dead but other that I wouldn't trust a thing. Biology is ridiculously complex.
These are my sentiments.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Well, I think the problem with this is that most of these synthetic chemicals we consume are chemicals that aren't actually not consumed in "natural" foods, they are just synthesized instead of harvested. Combine that with the bodies natural mechanisms for dealing with things it can't process, the effort that goes into studying these chemical effects, and the fact that the food we consume "naturally" is probably the stuff that is causing a significant amount of our health problems, it seems like the epitome of a non issue firmly rooted in naturalistic fallacies that only further the lack of trust in science and the adoption of woo.

not sure why she's being taken to task about the oxygen thing; our air is full of pollutants, or did everyone forget about the holes in ozone layer.

I'm sympathetic to what she's trying to do, like others have mentioned she's well-meaning even if she's got no background to go on. But why this bothers anyone, one way or another, is beyond me. The majority of the food industry is built around exploiting people; how is this any different or worse?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm sympathetic to what she's trying to do, like others have mentioned she's well-meaning even if she's got no background to go on. But why this bothers anyone, one way or another, is beyond me. The majority of the food industry is built around exploiting people; how is this any different or worse?

I think a simple answer to this is "two wrongs don't make a right". If your problem is with exploitation, I feel you should be doubly upset when those you want representing you exploit you, your lack of information and dangerous trends to make money. Well meaning or otherwise. I guarantee you a lot of people in the food industry are plenty well meaning.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, I think the problem with this is that most of these synthetic chemicals we consume are chemicals that aren't actually not consumed in "natural" foods, they are just synthesized instead of harvested. Combine that with the bodies natural mechanisms for dealing with things it can't process, the effort that goes into studying these chemical effects, and the fact that the food we consume "naturally" is probably the stuff that is causing a significant amount of our health problems, it seems like the epitome of a non issue firmly rooted in naturalistic fallacies that only further the lack of trust in science and the adoption of woo.

I think a simple answer to this is "two wrongs don't make a right". If your problem is with exploitation, I feel you should be doubly upset when those you want representing you exploit you, your lack of information and dangerous trends to make money. Well meaning or otherwise. I guarantee you a lot of people in the food industry are plenty well meaning.

I just want to take a moment to applaud these excellent posts.

AnAnole

Yep. For example, monoglycerides are regarded as generally safe and are added to many processed foods, but there is some evidence that they may be endocrine disruptors. Of all the hundred of additives that are supposedly OK, it is highly likely that at least some of them are actually not benign. In the past, additives deemed safe have later been found to be unsafe. It's going to happen again.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Lol, people like her are the reason why companies are able to exploit people.

I'm not understanding something here. How are we defining "foreign to the human food supply"? Something not occurring in nature? Because that would exclude bread. Something not created from products that are untouched from their natural state? Wouldn't that leave out pasteurized foods?

I guess I'm not sure how you're defining "foreign to the human food supply". I mean, plenty of medicines we use are synthesized in a lab, does that make them not okay as well?

I'm not understanding something here. How are we defining "foreign to the human food supply"? Something not occurring in nature? Because that would exclude bread. Something not created from products that are untouched from their natural state? Wouldn't that leave out pasteurized foods?

I guess I'm not sure how you're defining "foreign to the human food supply". I mean, plenty of medicines we use are synthesized in a lab, does that make them not okay as well?

#EatBugs2015, live how real men used to live.

Dennis

Banned

And a lot of those medicines have to be taken in very exact doses. And can have tremendous side effects so you don't take them unless you really have to.

I don't have to eat food with a lot of additives. I can eat food that is closer to what the human body evolved to eat. And I tend to do so.

The reasons used to justify adding these things to food has mostly to do with increasing their shelve-life or decrease the production cost, thereby increasing the bottom life for food corporations. But my priority is different from that.

I am just sitting here, horrified at the prospect of flying in a plane filled with 100% oxygen.

Give me yoga mat sandwiches if it means I don't have to sit in a flying bomb.

Opiate

And a lot of those medicines have to be taken in very exact doses. And can have tremendous side effects so you don't take them unless you really have to.

I don't have to eat food with a lot of additives. I can eat food that is closer to what the human body evolved to eat. And I tend to do so.

The reasons used to justify adding these things to food has mostly to do with increasing their shelve-life or decrease the production cost, thereby increasing the bottom life for food corporations. But my priority is different from that.

Or increasing the overall food supply. A lot of "artificial" techniques -- not the least of which are GMOs -- can be directly attributed to feeding millions of people who would have otherwise starved.

I don't mean to suggest it can't also create profits for some companies; it certainly can. I just want to point out that preservatives and GMOs and other artificial enhancements aren't just lining food producer's pockets. They have upsides -- big, "save millions of lives" sized upsides.

Stet

Banned

increasing shelf-life and decreasing production costs also means that poorer people can afford the food and it won't spoil in their pantry before they've eaten it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom