• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noted Quack The Food Babe, her critics and the war on Chemicals in our foodstuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millions of kids are dying and going blind because of the anti-GMO movement blocking Golden Rice.

If you like to troll people tell them that someday the anti-GMO movement will save as many lives as the anti-vaccination movement. It usually takes them a minute...

Oooh, me likey. Will definitely use.

Thanks OP, for the very enlightening evening I had the other day, stemming from Food Babe's vids. I'm sure she blew you a kiss for the extra web traffic she received ;).

What was the most starting fact I learned? The man responsible for bringing us the now Monsanto owned Aspartame, the active ingredient in NutraSweet, is none other than Donald F'ing Rumsfeld, with help from a newly inaugurated President Reagan!

You can check out Aspartame's timeline here, but to summarise, Rumsfeld was brought in as the new CEO of troubled G.D. Searle, the original discoverers of the compound and patent owners. After years of failed attempts trying to get it approved, in 1981, the FDA was likely going to deny approval once again, so on january 21, the day after President Reagan's inauguration, he issues a Presidential Order that prevented the FDA head from taking any actions, and Reagan's replacement, in July, overrules the Public Board of Enquiry, to get Aspartame approved, for use in dry goods (approval for use in beverages followed in fall 1983, after commissioner's resignation).

Bottom line; if you really want to drink soda, I wouldn't touch the aspartame based diet stuff, and would instead go for the regular varieties, in moderation (as far I know, GAF doesn't disagree with minimizing ones fructose intake). Although I dislike the highly processed HFCS, with a passion, chemically it isn't that different from sugar, with a 55/42 ratio of fructose / glucose, compared to sucrose's (table sugar) equal split.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
p3C5D5d.gif

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm going back and reading some more of her stuff.

That insane bit about the pilots reserving the best oxygen for their compartment to the detriment of the passengers is my favourite. I'm imagining all the passengers pressed against the cockpit door sucking in some of the good stuff while everyone else chokes on the poisonous nitrogen in economy.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Daniel B·;159534136 said:
Thanks OP, for the very enlightening evening I had the other day, stemming from Food Babe's vids. I'm sure she blew you a kiss for the extra web traffic she received ;).

What was the most starting fact I learned? The man responsible for bringing us the now Monsanto owned Aspartame, the active ingredient in NutraSweet, is none other than Donald F'ing Rumsfeld, with help from a newly inaugurated President Reagan!

You can check out Aspartame's timeline here, but to summarise, Rumsfeld was brought in as the new CEO of troubled G.D. Searle, the original discoverers of the compound and patent owners. After years of failed attempts trying to get it approved, in 1981, the FDA was likely going to deny approval once again, so on january 21, the day after President Reagan's inauguration, he issues a Presidential Order that prevented the FDA head from taking any actions, and Reagan's replacement, in July, overrules the Public Board of Enquiry, to get Aspartame approved, for use in dry goods (approval for use in beverages followed in fall 1983, after commissioner's resignation).

Bottom line; if you really want to drink soda, I wouldn't touch the aspartame based diet stuff, and would instead go for the regular varieties, in moderation (as far I know, GAF doesn't disagree with minimizing ones fructose intake). Although I dislike the highly processed HFCS, with a passion, chemically it isn't that different from sugar, with a 55/42 ratio of fructose / glucose, compared to sucrose's (table sugar) equal split.
You're... Sort of highlighting my point here.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

From the link:
Neuroscientist Dr. John Olney (whose pioneering work with monosodium glutamate was responsible for having it removed from baby foods) informs Searle that his studies show that aspartic acid (one of the ingredients of aspartame) caused holes in the brains of infant mice.
A new challenger emerges.

You're... Sort of highlighting my point here.

So, you dismiss out of hand, the reasons the FDA refused to approve Aspartame, prior to 1981, and I take it, the fact that it required the immediate action of President Reagan, to replace the existing commissioner to get approval, also doesn't faze you at all? Well, you are welcome to lay your trust with the likes of Rumsfeld (WMDs anyone), but, I prefer to trust the pre-Reagan bastardized FDA, who's only motive was to apply due diligence when considering approval of food additives.

Zophar

Daniel B·;159543709 said:
So, you dismiss out of hand, the reasons the FDA refused to approve Aspartame, prior to 1981, and I take it, the fact that it required the immediate action of President Reagan, to replace the existing commissioner to get approval, also doesn't faze you at all? Well, you are welcome to lay your trust with the likes of Rumsfeld (WMDs anyone), but, I prefer to trust the pre-Reagan bastardized FDA, who's only motive was to apply due diligence when considering approval of food additives.

I choked to death on all these red herrings.

Daniel B·;159543709 said:

Yo, like, citation needed bro.

The wiki page for aspartame states perfectly sound reasons the approval was delayed and then ultimately granted. If there was legitimate scientific evidence that aspartame is bad for you, then it wouldn't be approved in the EU. Rummy didn't have the pull across the pond to get that done. And the EU's FDA equivalent body reviewed it in 2006 and found that previously recommended intake levels were still acceptable.

Also, Rumsfeld didn't generate the poor intelligence that led all of the NATO intelligence community to believe or at least give serious credence to Iraq having and active WMD program, he just believed it like many other people. Some of whom are considered intelligent. Granted, that's a separate issue.

I just took the bait, didn't I?

Docflem

The definition of the word natural is so atrociously dumb. Just because it is synthesized in a lab does not make it unnatural, unless you want to assert that humans aren't part of the natural world. In which case, grab your Bible and get ready to deny evolutionary theory. This is probably a position that will get laughed at, but a multi-story skyscraper is just as natural as a beaver dam to me. Because humans are part of the natural world, and thus anything we do or anything derived from our actions is natural.

You are kinda correct, (but for another reason) every thing that exist in the world is natural, based purely on the law of conservation of mass means even things made in a lab are still made of "nature." Only exception might be man made elements, but I guarantee you wont be eating any of those!

Wallach

I'm still on the part where she complained about the oxygen mix on airplanes.

Not sure I'll be getting past it anytime soon. So fucking good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Monsanto doesn't even own Nutrasweet anymore. Also Nutrasweet isn't the only aspartame maker out there.

kyser73

Most of her followers are the kind of people who'd stop drinking dihydrogenmonoxide if you told them to.

Actually, someone should suggest they do this and hopefully they'd all be dead in a few days.

Good to see she's being McKeithed by a goodly swathe of online science bloggers and mainstream media.

Ollie Pooch

I'm still on the part where she complained about the oxygen mix on airplanes.

Not sure I'll be getting past it anytime soon. So fucking good.
And how we shrink on planes due to the pressurisation!
james-bond-midget-short-tiny.jpg

Actor Daniel Craig after a long haul flight

If we have any chemists on here, with no axe to grind, they could possibly address, head on, the suggestion that in hot (>=86º F) temperatures Aspartame breaks down into its constituent parts, including 1/5 methanol (wood alcohol), a universally recognised poison. I believe in the body methanol is metabolised into formaldehyde, which is also highly poisonous.

Ollie Pooch

Daniel B·;159546517 said:
If we have any chemists on here, with no axe to grind, they could possibly address, head on, the suggestion that in hot (>=86º F) temperatures Aspartame breaks down into its constituent parts, including 1/5 methanol (wood alcohol), a universally recognised poison. I believe in the body methanol is metabolised into formaldehyde, which is also highly poisonous.
Isn't methanol naturally occuring in oranges? I can't find where I first read this but found some more info :
The reality is, many things consumed by people create formaldehyde in the body, namely citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits, tomatoes, and alcohol to name a few, some in much greater quantaties than what's found in artificial sweeteners.
Also:

https://badscidebunked.wordpress.com/tag/formaldehyde/

way more

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

red.gif
FALSE
Second, the claim that aspartame ingestion results in the production of methanol, formaldehyde and formate: These claims are factual. In the gastrointestinal tract aspartame is hydrolyzed to one of its component materials, methanol, as well as the two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid. This methanol is taken up by the cells of the body and metabolized first to formaldehyde and then to formate. The key information that is missing in the description by Ms. Markle is that the levels of ingestion are very modest. In fact, there are other foodstuffs that we ingest that supply as much and sometimes even more methanol; e.g., citrus fruits and juices, and tomatoes or tomato juice. There are even higher quantities of methanol ingested when ethanol is consumed. Thus, in the final analysis this methanol is the same as from other sources and in the quantities consumed from aspartame, it is readily and naturally metabolized via the one-carbon biochemical cycle to entirely innocuous and natural body components.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp#RrQwcBv3ZDEGCLqR.99

You are kinda correct, (but for another reason) every thing that exist in the world is natural, based purely on the law of conservation of mass means even things made in a lab are still made of "nature." Only exception might be man made elements, but I guarantee you wont be eating any of those!

Not more than once, at any rate.

kyser73

I will never understand the anti-chemicals in food people. Everything is a chemical. Stuff that's in rocks is in food and no one complains about that, because it's natural.

Same mentality as the idiots who mis-use the words 'energy' & 'quantum' all the time.

Soul_Pie

Unfortunately when a lot of people hear "chemicals" they think of a barrel of nuclear waste with the scary warning labels, lid open with green stuff seeping out.

cbox

One guy at work went off on a tangent about how Subway bread had the same chemical they use for gym mats. Whatever, idiot squad - He went on and on about chemical this, and how he doesn't want that in his system and bla bla bla.

I casually leaned over and reminded him he smokes.

I don't understand how these bloggers gain such a foothold over otherwise intelligent people...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think people have already adequately addressed this and the other concern you've brought forward, so I hope I can ask you a question - what is it that lead you down the path to being critical of aspartame, or any other things that maybe the scientific community would disagree with you on? Is it a lifestyle thing, are you just critical of certain information? you allude to something in this post, a chemist with an axe to grind, what kind of person would this be? I ask because you seem open to discussion and I really want to discuss this with someone who doesn't necessarily agree with me.

Have you ever seen a chemist drink a glass of water?

Just pure rainwater. None of that fluoride stuff. Fluoride is the most pervasive and insidious communist plot ever launched against the people of this country. Did you know, they're going to put it in ice cream, Chichikov, children's ice cream?!

Chichikov

Just pure rainwater. None of that fluoride stuff. Fluoride is the most pervasive and insidious communist plot ever launched against the people of this country. Did you know, they're going to put it in ice cream, Chichikov, children's ice cream?!
But what about showering in fluoridated water?
Remember, your body is over 60% water and your skin is your largest organ.
This is an actual quote by the way.

Az5ceuJ.jpg

Nice try general ripper, but you can't out-crazy the food babe.

kyser73

Az5ceuJ.jpg

So she upped it from 50% in her flight advice article to 60% in a personal hygiene article.

Dr. Batshit

or

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Oral Hygiene

Ollie Pooch

Wait, you aren't joking. http://foodbabe.com/2013/09/14/aquasana-water-filter-giveaway-1500-value/

Also, holy shit, how can she accuse other people of shilling with a straight face. Look at that shit.
She also promotes water full of sugar when she'll criticise a product for containing LESS than the one she's shilling. I get where she's coming from, the healthy eating thing and making companies more accountable for what they put in their products - but I really can't get past the fact she seems to make shitloads of cash off misinformation and outright lying (or is it just ignorance and gullibility?)

Docflem

She also promotes water full of sugar when she'll criticise a product for containing LESS than the one she's shilling. I get where she's coming from, the healthy eating thing and making companies more accountable for what they put in their products - but I really can't get past the fact she seems to make shitloads of cash off misinformation and outright lying (or is it just ignorance and gullibility?)

Here is the thing that bothers me, a lot of people give her and others like her a bit of a pass by saying she is "well-meaning." I might be too harsh but I think if she really had any want to do some good she'd get herself a real education on the subject and actually do some good. Instead she is either to lazy to do real research or she just realizes that she can profit better by being wrong on most of these issues.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

The bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about and should be ignored.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Wait, you aren't joking. http://foodbabe.com/2013/09/14/aquasana-water-filter-giveaway-1500-value/

Also, holy shit, how can she accuse other people of shilling with a straight face. Look at that shit.

The opening paragraph is fucking hilarious.

Tap water can be full of pollutants like arsenic, aluminum, prescription drugs, chlorine, fluoride, disinfection byproducts, and a host of other substances that are known carcinogens (things that cause cancer and diseases).

Dont drink water without this 1500 dollar purifier or youll get "cancer and diseases"

I think people have already adequately addressed this and the other concern you've brought forward, so I hope I can ask you a question - what is it that lead you down the path to being critical of aspartame, or any other things that maybe the scientific community would disagree with you on? Is it a lifestyle thing, are you just critical of certain information? you allude to something in this post, a chemist with an axe to grind, what kind of person would this be? I ask because you seem open to discussion and I really want to discuss this with someone who doesn't necessarily agree with me.
I would be more than happy to do so, but first, I would be interested to get your in-depth response to the timeline (link in my original post) I posted, holes in rat brains and removing FDA heads and all.

Chichikov

Dont drink water without this 1500 dollar purifier or youll get "cancer and diseases"
This is not even drinking, this is about fucking showering.
And while 1500 dollars seem steep, remember, that filter "enhance the performance of soaps, shampoo, and conditioners".

p.s.
She's also an expert in holistic hair care, because of course she is.

And to think these are the posts she decided not to delete...

Ollie Pooch

Here is the thing that bothers me, a lot of people give her and others like her a bit of a pass by saying she is "well-meaning." I might be too harsh but I think if she really had any want to do some good she'd get herself a real education on the subject and actually do some good. Instead she is either to lazy to do real research or she just realizes that she can profit better by being wrong on most of these issues.
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel - she's happy to just preach to the converted and make bank off them while doing no research or just blindly believing stuff that fits her agenda. Kinda sad.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is not even drinking, this is about fucking showering.
And while 1500 dollars seem steep, remember, that filter "enhance the performance of soaps, shampoo, and conditioners".

p.s.
She's also an expert in holistic hair care, because of course she is.

And to think these are the posts she decided not to delete...

Chemical free natural soaps and shampoos i hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom