• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing to watch tonight? Check out the DDR world finals!

yyr

Dead End: FEFEMZ 1584 - CHRS4LFE 1577 - FUNGAH 1566 - o4ma. 1542
Para Rev: FEFEMZ 2128 - FUNGAH 2106 - CHRS4LFE 2100 - o4ma. 2041
Egoism 440: CHRS4LFE 2328 - FEFEMZ 2262 - FUNGAH 2198 - o4ma. 2165

Total:
CHRS4LFE (1st): 6005
FEFEMZ (2nd): 5974
FUNGAH (3rd): 5870
o4ma. (4th): 5748

CHRS4LFE comes from behind on his own pick and WINS THE WHOLE THING FOR THE USA WOOOOOOOOOO

Nick

I miss the Bemani community of the early 2000's. The DDR tournaments at the Metreon in San Francisco were legendary.

Maybe he plays alot of IIDX/Pop'n and is use to notes coming down?

As someone who loves Pop'n: notes going upwards really fuck me up

A lot of options in Bemani games aren't to show off at all and are used by a bunch of pro players to improve gameplay

Edit: welp I missed this......... I wish I saw this earlier

Fhtagn

Wow! Congrats Chris!

I really miss playing DDR. I never relied on the bar and got good enough to clear a lot of the 9 and even 10 foot songs back in the day, like Max300 and Bag but I hit a wall there and never did Legend of Max or any of the later 10+ footers.

My dream exercise program would be DDR in a pool. High resistance, low impact, better for my knees. Wonder if anyone's been nuts enough to rig that up.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Wow! Congrats Chris!

I really miss playing DDR. I never relied on the bar and got good enough to clear a lot of the 9 and even 10 foot songs back in the day, like Max300 and Bag but I hit a wall there and never did Legend of Max or any of the later 10+ footers.

My dream exercise program would be DDR in a pool. High resistance, low impact, better for my knees. Wonder if anyone's been nuts enough to rig that up.

Yeah. I used to refuse to use the bar. I've full comboed Legend without the bar before and used to regularly play Max 300, Hybrid and other 10 step DDR/ITG songs as warm up exercises. Even 12 step ITG songs like Delirium and Hard Core of the North can be fun to no bar, despite being super drained afterwards.

I can't even imagine clearing some of these newer songs without it though. They're just so chaotic and fast. I think I could legit hurt myself if I tried without the bar. My feet can't even physically move fast enough with the extra weight of my body too.

yyr

Just a last note before I pass out:

Don't forget, you can play DDR A at all Round1 locations and selected Dave & Buster's locations across North America. If your D&B doesn't have it, ask them to get it!

If you have a local arcade, support it and go have fun there!

Music gaming and arcade gaming are far from dead =)

Don't forget, you can play DDR A at all Round1 locations and selected Dave & Buster's locations across North America. If your D&B doesn't have it, ask them to get it!

I passed by Dave & Buster's in Times Square last month and I saw some old and new faces. DDR A definitely gave some life into the scene. THE spot to chill with people.

Wednesdays are your best bet for cheap play because of that half off deal but there may be a wait.

I've played a few games and while it was fun, I can't see myself investing time into it anymore. Watching this tournament as an older player put a smile on my face...even moreso because USA won!

I definitely encourage anyone who's interested to give it a try...and I also encourage those who want to get better to not give up. Don't be intimidated by what you saw at the tournament. Plenty of fun stepcharts that won't give you a headache, lol.

It's a heck of a cardio workout, btw.

mrlion

I've recently came back to DDR after 10 years of leaving it. I played it for 5 years and it was the best years yet. You get to meet so many people, some of lower skill some higher but we build a community together and they were fantastic people that supported you even if you failed a song.

I always knew that DDR belonged in the U.S. they were far better players than in Japan a few I can mention like Sketch, JSB, Reflexx, Frekles among many other local legends I'm sure you've seen once in your lifetime these guys did amazing things just by stepping into 4 directional arrows. Konami just finally woke up after people like Chris and Fungah started to get world records and finally gave us a place to compete in the KAC.

I don't know if I'll reach the same level of skill I had 10 years ago but this was a wake up call, to Konami, to older DDR players like me, to Chris who won the title, to the dying arcade scene around the country. Spread the word of what happened, revive this game to its former glory.

We need new people that hunger for this kind of skill. And try playing it even if you've never played it before. Its an amazing workout, you'll sweat like you've never sweat before, if you don't like a gym give this a try. I've heard stories on how DDR saved lives. Its fun, its hard to master, but gives you the motivation to move around and meet people that like to have fun with DDR.

Top Bottom