• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Mobile is now the most popular platform for gaming among children aged 2-17

CaptNink

I wonder how these kids spend money on mobile. Are people buying them gift cards, or have they somehow convinced their parents to let them use credit cards?

I know my girls are playing 100% free when it comes to mobile, because there's not a chance in hell I'm opening up the possibility of them spending money on that shit.

My son has received a lot of iTunes gift cards for his birthday and Christmas. He's got about $200 in iTunes credit stacked up. Whenever he wants a game or something, I add his credit to my account and away we go (I take my 5% off the top, of course. :D )

JordanN

Banned
While people are calling for armageddon for consoles, can someone explain how at the same time, it's possible for consoles to sell faster than ever?

I think this is the problem every time I enter a "mobile will kill console" discussion. It's always about the success of one thing but not the other.

All it means to me is that conventional marketing strategies of targeting children will have to be re-evaluated. But this is something the game industry has always done.

Aces&Eights

I understand why but it saddens me as well. Some of my best memories from being a kid are riding my bike to the store to spend my paper route money on Spy Hunter, Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong. Or opening up my NES for Christmas.

Nowadays, kids are handed mom or dad's phone when they are being restless and their gaming experiences are birthed off Flappy Bird and Fruit Ninja. I wouldn't trade my memories of spending a year trying to beat Legend of Zelda after my homework was done for all the ftp games in the world.

look at N64 and Gamecube....Now, there are many other factors why those consoles failed

Somewhat OT:

Sometimes I get confused about the term fail/failure when it comes to video game consoles. This is not directed specifically at you, I'm just saying in general. Is failure defined as losing money for the platform holder? Is it losing marketshare from the previous gen? Or is any console that was not vying for market leadership in it's gen considered a "failure"? Certainly, all three of these could be considered a performance failure, but I don't think it labels the platform a failure as a whole. IMO, only a money-loser is a true failure. For example, N64 may have not lead the market, but it made profit for Nintendo so I would hesitate to call it a failure.

With consoles, is the goal always market domination, and if that cannot be obtained, then the company shouldn't bother? Some people act like that is the case.

Makes me sad. All those children, missing out on games with actual luster, because you know they aren't playing the good mobile games anyway.

Krisprolls

Banned
Consoles are in trouble in the long term. Traditional console gamers are getting older and older.

That's not what it says, it says PC is dying, not consoles :

"On the flip side, 45 percent of kids use a home PC for gaming, a drop of 22 points since 2013. The decline is most prominent among children ages 2 to 5. Video game consoles are also losing ground -- used by 60 percent of kids surveyed compared with 67 percent in 2013."

Consoles drop from 67 to 60 (-10 %), while PC dropped 22 points to 45 (-33 %)

Bolivar687

Banned
exactly
no one is going to spend €200+ on a game machine for a kid

Not to mention the survey covers the previous 2 years, which have been serviced by $400 boxes.

The tug of war for children and casuals will evolve with price and content but some people are going to run away with their narrative regardless.

Aaron D.

The evidence is right there if you look around you. Mobile is cheap & easy. It's on a device you carry around with you 24/7. And thankfully, the quality of original games has been pretty incredible over the past few years.

Works just fine for me. It's been an remarkably viable avenue for gaming in my household.

There will always be enthusiast gaming platforms, even if it goes the way of niche and/or is relegated to PC. I for one welcome the diversity between mobile and dedicated hardware.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Those results aren't surprising but I wonder how the rest of the world outside the US fares in comparison (excluding Japan of course).

lyrick

How often do kids 2-5 play console games? Like ever!

I started playing console games before the age of 5. I received my first console [NES] when I was 5 (in 1986)...

I sure as fuck wasn't the only kid on the block that had a Nintendo in the 80's.

patapuf

Let's not forget that many kids are playing now that maybe wouldn't have had a console in the first place, in addition to whatever many might not get one now.

ZhugeEX

Banned
While people are calling for armageddon for consoles, can someone explain how at the same time, it's possible for consoles to sell faster than ever?

I think this is the problem every time I enter a "mobile will kill console" discussion. It's always about the success of one thing but not the other.

All it means to me is that conventional marketing strategies of targeting children will have to be re-evaluated. But this is something the game industry has always done.

Simply put.

There is only a small number of core console gamers who are supporting the console market. They are buying consoles fast yes, but it's a known fact that they're not going to be able to buy the same amount as last gen which was 270m.

Meanwhile the addressable market for smartphones and games there is almost 2.5 billion.

The console industry isn't growing so is focusing on otherways to generate revenue such as DLC, online suncriptions etc... whereas mobile is growing so a lot of tailored experiences are coming out on mobile.

That's not what it says, it says PC is dying, not consoles :

"On the flip side, 45 percent of kids use a home PC for gaming, a drop of 22 points since 2013. The decline is most prominent among children ages 2 to 5. Video game consoles are also losing ground -- used by 60 percent of kids surveyed compared with 67 percent in 2013."

Consoles drop from 67 to 60 (-10 %), while PC dropped 22 points to 45 (-33 %)

At this rate under half of kids will be gaming on consoles by by 2020
And as mobile keeps evolving, maybe in 5 or 6 years it will be able to truly replace consoles and PCs as a gaming experience for most people (I think that would either require controller peripherals to be standardized and nearly universally supported or the games would have to evolve and utilize touch controls better than virtual joysticks but then again most kids seem to handle virtual joysticks fine so that might just be bad from a console gamers perspective, also in my personal preference free to play would have to go away but that's not necessary for most people on mobile currently so who knows )

Seems like this whole thing is going to be a gradual transition taking place over a couple decades

fedexpeon

Banned
Well yeah, cellphone is cheap.
Each year the kids will get an iphone when we upgrade to the next one.
Family line is cheap too with T-mobile.

Tunavi

Banned
I think a lot of kids who game exclusively on mobile wouldn't be gaming on consoles if they didn't have their mobile games. They'd probably be watching tv or something.

Mobile gaming is just...there for a lot of kids, so they do it. which throws off the percentage of console gamers in the market

Aces&Eights

I started playing console games before the age of 5. I received my first console [NES] when I was 5 (in 1986)...

I sure as fuck wasn't the only kid on the block that had a Nintendo in the 80's.

I fondly remembering the school yard talk about a cheat or secret in a game and then begging my mom to let me spend the night at a friends house so we could stay up all night in a fort build out of sleeping bags and chairs and playing the NES or SNES trying to find the secret. Fueled on nachos and soda, passing the controller to each other until we both passed out from exhaustion. Lord, I'm old.

Main reason my little nephew prefers to play on a tablet is that controllers are difficult for his little hands. Only controller he has felt comfortable with is the Wii Remote which is my the Wii was so brilliant

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think a lot of kids who game exclusively on mobile wouldn't be gaming on consoles if they didn't have their mobile games. They'd probably be watching tv or something.

Mobile gaming is just...there for a lot of kids, so they do it. which throws off the percentage of mobile gamers vs console gamers.

Whilst that is true to some extent.

It's not doing the traditional console market any favours.

nampad

SHOCKING...

From my anecdotal experience, I expected nothing else. For the younger kids I know an Ipad is the greatest thing and even toddlers start using those devices like pros.
The controls don't seem to be as much as an issue to them as for us. There might be some parallels about how PC gamers look down on console FPS games. A lot of the games are simpler though but I have seen younger kids using the touch controls in shooters and platformers like there is nothing to it.

jwhit28

I really don't care. I just hope the phone and OS makers can standardize a controller the way Microsoft did for PC and traditional style games can find a market on phones.

Overside

Banned
I don't think it's even close.

I say this because look at N64 and Gamecube. Both consoles were pushed as, or negatively effected, because Nintendo was seen as being "too kiddy". It kinda proved true when all the 16+ games did better on a Playstation or a Xbox, whereas Nintendo's kid focused games didn't actually enhance any market share for them.

Now, there are many other factors why those consoles failed but I think it speaks volumes that kids alone have never been the reason why consoles primarily sell. Or rather, it hasn't been the reason for consoles selling since perhaps the early 90's.

Even SEGA sort of dropped the "only for kids" angle with the SEGA Genesis and pretty much abandoned it going Sega Saturn and forward.

You do realize children eventually become adults right?

A generation of young adults who wont give two shits about playstation and xbox.

Tygamr

Before I bought a PS3 I mostly played games on my iPod touch. I mean, I played games on my DS and PSP too, but games were far more expensive on those systems. My only home console at the time was a Wii (which I barely played. Only ever owned like 6 games for it). It was pretty typical when I was in high school to play games on your iPhone/iPod (and eventually iPads, because our school replaced our MacBooks with those my senior year), though a lot of people also had gaming systems as well.

After I got a PS3 and the new handhelds, I stopped playing mobile games as much. After a while it just got boring, not as many interesting games got released, a ton of games became freemium, and a lot of games just felt the same. iOS gaming was fun for a while, and now I just can't get back into it, even if I try. It just feels more soulless now.

I really don't care. I just hope the phone and OS makers can standardize a controller the way Microsoft did for PC and traditional style games can find a market on phones.

I don't think controllers for phones are ever going to take off in a substantial way. There may be a niche market for them, but most people won't want to carry around an extra peripheral for their phone in their pockets or purses or whatever.

I don't think controllers for phones are ever going to take off in a substantial way. There may be a niche market for them, but most people won't want to carry around an extra peripheral for their phone in their pockets or purses or whatever.

All Apple has to do is box one with an iphone and boom.

JordanN

Banned
Simply put.

There is only a small number of core console gamers who are supporting the console market. They are buying consoles fast yes, but it's a known fact that they're not going to be able to buy the same amount as last gen which was 270m.

Meanwhile the addressable market for smartphones and games there is almost 2.5 billion.

The console industry isn't growing so is focusing on otherways to generate revenue such as DLC, online suncriptions etc... whereas mobile is growing so a lot of tailored experiences are coming out on mobile.
While it's true that console market could be reaching a cap, whereas mobile grows, that to me doesn't signal death yet.

It's not like Apple or Samsung can wake up tomorrow and say "we want the entire game industry now". Microsoft and Sony have billions to throw at their consoles before giving them up.

And I think that's where the real decision of whether consoles live or die will come from. Not mobile growing, but whether any of the console manufactures actually volunteers to stop producing them.

If it was 20 years ago when consoles were mostly run by small toy companies. then I could see mobile being a real threat to them just because of how outclassed they are money wise. But today, it's far from that.

Anth0ny

I've felt like this has been the case for years.

it's inevitable. nintendo went mobile for a reason. need to reach those kids somehow.

viHuGi

Banned
2 years old?? Lol

I am surprised that 60% of that market play Consoles, parents allow those kids to play?? Really?? 2/6 years old??? Holly shit here no chance parents would allow that here.

Overside

Banned
Well this is really a problem especially for Nintendo which aims at children, younger teens.

You people do realize, in the extremely near future, this generation of kids, and every subsequent one, will be young adults who dont give a shit about game consoles.

KIDS. GROW. UP.

Cheech

But where are they spending the most money?? It ain't the phone games...

It is. My daughter blew about $30 in iTunes gift cards on some cooking game, and to unlock stuff in Injustice (yes, THAT Injustice.. I didn't even know there was an iOS version!).

I asked my 11 year old if he wanted FIFA 16 for the Xbox. Nope, he's good playing it on iOS, and by the way, can he give me a fiver to buy some in-game stuff...

Sorry dudes. We are dinosaurs.

Top Bottom