• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Mobile is now the most popular platform for gaming among children aged 2-17

NPD stating the obvious.
I never see a 3DS held by a child in this city, it is always smart phone/tablet.

I'm going to miss handheld gaming :(
You can always import. I doubt it will go away in Japan and it is pretty strong in EU.
America though, I could see it not being published anymore. At least NX will probably be a tablet-sized portable if they make that SKU.

I really don't understand why consoles and mobile are considered direct competitors.

I'm not sure I know anyone at this point who hasn't dabbled in mobile gaming somewhere, including everyone I know who does PC/console gaming. Those people haven't backed off PC/Console gaming in favor of mobile either.

I don't doubt that some people will decide mobile is enough, but I also know of plenty of kids who've transitioned to console and like it more.

Z3M0G

It is. My daughter blew about $30 in iTunes gift cards on some cooking game, and to unlock stuff in Injustice (yes, THAT Injustice.. I didn't even know there was an iOS version!).

I asked my 11 year old if he wanted FIFA 16 for the Xbox. Nope, he's good playing it on iOS, and by the way, can he give me a fiver to buy some in-game stuff...

Sorry dudes. We are dinosaurs.

I must admit... if my kid asked for $5-$10 to spend on his favorite phone game, I'm not sure I'd ask "Can't I just buy you a $60 console game instead?"

It's a new world... ...

I really don't understand why consoles and mobile are considered direct competitors.

I'm not sure I know anyone at this point who hasn't dabbled in mobile gaming somewhere, including everyone I know who does PC/console gaming. Those people haven't backed off PC/Console gaming in favor of mobile either.

I don't doubt that some people will decide mobile is enough, but I also know of plenty of kids who've transitioned to console and like it more.

Yep. Where's the mobile version of NeoGAF and other video game forums that do a ton of traffic? It doesn't exist because the userbase isn't nearly as dedicated or willing to part with their money.

They make money from it don't they.....
I still never get the idea that "mobile games are lazy" because they have to work hard to get people to play them. Worst thing I found was that they weren't really that original (which is still a console gaming problem).
Although as a gamer with my favorite ports being from 3DS, DS, and PC games ... maybe I have not played enough top 50 games.

Willing to bet PC gaming will survive the death of consoles.
PC still is the number 1 platform for small developers, so you are right. Mobile is next then followed by consoles.
The death of consoles will at least mean maybe we will get more games than just a few big budget ones.

NPD stating the obvious.
I never see a 3DS held by a child in this city, it is always smart phone/tablet.

You can always import. I doubt it will go away in Japan and it is pretty strong in EU.
America though, I could see it not being published anymore. At least NX will probably be a tablet-sized portable if they make that SKU.

Europe is the 3DS weakest region.

Trago

Even though I agree with you in general, there's still the aspect that mobile devices have a lower barrier of entry and will likely be used at a younger age which sets a trend of just using those devices. Someone is unlikely to buy a console for their 3 or 4 year old.

Hence the cluster fuck we got in the Pachter thread when some of us suggested that set top boxes could take away market share from consoles. Consoles were cheap back then, now they are pseudo PC's, and the prices for all three of them are too damn high. A parent isn't gonna drop $400 on a 3 year old, but a $100-150 set top box with games that appeal to kids at the forefront? Now you see what I'm saying.

I really don't know what Sony or Microsoft will do to address this issue. Kids are the future after all.

Irobot82

My kids were into Mobile with their Tablets and whatnot but once my oldest learned of minecraft from youtube videos. He's purely PC now, occasionally the WiiU. Now my younger ones all want PC's of their own. Daddy can't afford all this!

Willing to bet PC gaming will survive the death of consoles.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that as long as indie development is a thing, and as long as hardcore enthusiasts are a thing, there will always be a PC community. Consoles and handhelds are whats going to be squeezed, as they're a halfway point between the two markets.

Delio

Well of course. For many of then, phones are their first gaming devices, not consoles. If anything, it's partly a failure on the console manufactures part for mostly targeting the 18-35 demographic.

This is something that has been on my mind before. With mainstream gaming being more adult focused now will they run into that problem of ignoring the kids coming up now? I'm guessing MS/Sony are just hoping kids will just naturally grow away from phones and into consoles.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My kids were into Mobile with their Tablets and whatnot but once my oldest learned of minecraft from youtube videos. He's purely PC now, occasionally the WiiU. Now my younger ones all want PC's of their own. Daddy can't afford all this!

They'll come to the consoles when they are teens.

mckmas8808

This is something that has been on my mind before. With mainstream gaming being more adult focused now will they run into that problem of ignoring the kids coming up now? I'm guessing MS/Sony are just hoping kids will just naturally grow away from phones and into consoles.

Mobile games are inherently easier to play when you are 3 years old than 99% of console games.

That's completely due to the nature of how you interact with a smart phone or a tablet. Nothing the console makers can do about that.

StevieP

Banned
They'll come to the consoles when they are teens.

People who grow up with mobile aren't going to necessarily "graduate"

That's completely due to the nature of how you interact with a smart phone or a tablet. Nothing the console makers can do about that.

Yes they can. They just refuse to because they need to satisfy us. The Wii and DS were good first steps. Nobody (including Nintendo) properly supported those ideas long term.

Tobor said:
RIP Nintendo as a hardware manufacturer.

Nah, I think they're going to find to make some kinda hardware in a post dedicated hardware world.

Bolivar687

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that as long as indie development is a thing, and as long as hardcore enthusiasts are a thing, there will always be a PC community. Consoles and handhelds are whats going to be squeezed, as they're a halfway point between the two markets.

The survey shows PC being impacted way harder than consoles.

Pillville

I have a 10 year old that plays 90% PC, %5 Mobile, 5% WiiU (thanks to Mario Maker)
I have an 8 year old that's 100% mobile.

The PlayStation and Xbox is just there for me, the old man. :(
They have zero interest in them.

Delio

Mobile games are inherently easier to play when you are 3 years old than 99% of console games.

Then I guess the hope their for console makers is that suddenly the kids when they hit teens leave that easier phone set up and jump right into controllers.

I feel like an old man. When I think of mobile gaming I think of shovelware like flappy bird and micro transaction behemoths like Clash of Clans.

There must be good stuff out there. The kids can't be wrong, can they?

Nephtes

You know that scene in Back to the Future 2 where Marty McFly shows some kids in THE FUTURE (2015) how to play an arcade game... And the kids' reaction to how one plays an arcade game is that it is quite primitive, they laugh and leave Marty bewildered.

Well GAF... Welcome to 2015.
We're old hat now... Thanks NPD.

:C

I have a 10 year old that plays 90% PC, %5 Mobile, 5% WiiU (thanks to Mario Maker)
I have an 8 year old that's 100% mobile.

The PlayStation and Xbox is just there for me, the old man. :(
They have zero interest in them.
Once they grow up into the Call of Duty phase, then they will probably pick it up.
Then they will get older and pick up mobile games again because they don't have time to play a game for one hour.
The vicious cycle of life!

I feel like an old man. When I think of mobile gaming I think of shovelware like flappy bird and micro transaction behemoths like Clash of Clans.

There must be good stuff out there. The kids can't be wrong, can they?
Nimblebit's collection of games are pretty good.

Trago

It's definitely a sign of consoles going down the road of niche products. Sony and Microsoft are chasing the enthusiasts. They are basically murdering their appeal for the future, because kids aren't on their radars. I mean, the PS1/N64/Saturn gen should have taught us that you don't stay focused on one demographic, you should try to make a massively appealing console and games. Those consoles were affordable, and in the case of the PS1, had games front and center for the adults and the kids.

Now you tell me, where are the AAA kids games coming out of Sony, Microsoft, or third parties?

The price and content aren't pulling kids in.

petran79

Banned
Gaming became an adults hobby so kids got sidelined...

I dont want to sound like an old man but this new generation is a failure. From the cartoons kids watch today to bullshit like this. The generation born in the 80's and early 90's were the best. Those generations appreciated quality.

Children numbers are declining.They dont invest that much in children features. Apart from adventure and action you had also educational series with clay, puppets, 2D animation etc.
Even in successful series like Peppa the Pig, the animators had to put all their available funds on the line and find money from other jobs in order to sell their idea. Producers were hesitant but kids loved it.

Shion

I was just thinking this. Like what big kids games do the big two make? None. That audience is going to go where stuff is at and its on mobile.

Sony has stuff like Knack, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Tearaway, Dreams etc. And then there's Nintendo whose games almost exclusively target the 4-12 demo.

The truth is that, in a world where smartphones and tablets exist, kids and families just aren't interested in paying several hundreds of dollars to buy a dedicated console and $40, $50 or $60 to buy games anymore.

TI82

Banned
It's not just dedicated handhelds.

The cognitive disconnect in this thread has indeed reached new proportions.

Yep, it's probably how gaming forums in Japan were reacting when their current problem started.

Sorry guys, mobile is here to stay. Looking down on people for enjoying those isn't going to make you look better or save your hobby.

spekkeh

Banned
sandwich-board-man-warns-us-of-impending-doom.jpg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yeah, to say that Mobile won't affect Portable/Home Consoles and PC are deluding themselves.

It has completely devastated the portable consoles now, with the PSP 80 million to PS Vita under 6 million, and the 3DS not even hitting half its predecessor. It will also affect consoles, the tail end will not be as strong as previous generations, and future iterations will see gigantic contractions.

Nintendo saw the writing on the wall, and they are increasing their footprint in thar space. Microsoft and Sony will inevitably go that way too, not now, but in the future.

Yep, this is the slow death of dedicated handhelds.

No, this is the slow death of all dedicated hardware.

Portable and Home Consoles.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Once they grow up into the Call of Duty phase, then they will probably pick it up.
Then they will get older and pick up mobile games again because they don't have time to play a game for one hour.
The vicious cycle of life!

But what if Activision starts putting out a mobile call of duty game which is addictive. Or perhaps a free to play pc game like they did in China.

It's why it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with the next generation of consoles to see if they double down on the core market or attempt to reach a wider audience.

Sony has stuff like Knack, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Tearaway, Dreams etc. And then there's Nintendo whose games almost exclusively target the 4-12 demo.

The truth is that, in a world where smartphones and tablets exist, kids and families just aren't interested in paying several hundreds of dollars to buy a dedicated console and $40, $50 or $60 to buy games anymore.

Pretty much. For $300 dollars a parent could either A) buy a device that just plays games or B) buy a device that can be used to do tasks and play games. Quality does not matter in this equation. Beforehand, laptops were the only other device.
Consoles and handhelds have become geared to people making their own money.

But what if Activision starts putting out a mobile call of duty game which is addictive. Or perhaps a free to play pc game like they did in China.

It's why it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with the next generation of consoles to see if they double down on the core market or attempt to reach a wider audience.
I agree. If they can replicate Call of Duty on a mobile game via cloud processing, then consoles will be done. They need to get Madden as well.

Its normal. Pretty much all kids have a mobile, so it is the form of gaming they have easiest access to and can get away with on the sly. Kids these days are just using electronic devices far more than when I was a kid. I am as well though...

mckmas8808

Then I guess the hope their for console makers is that suddenly the kids when they hit teens leave that easier phone set up and jump right into controllers.

Yep. And that's due to the fact that the console/PC games will be given them a "different" experience that a mobile game just literally can't do. It's like comparing the movie theater experience to watching movies at home.

That's the thought process.

JordanN

Banned
Yeah, to say that Mobile won't affect Portable/Home Consoles and PC are deluding themselves.

It has completely devastated the portable consoles now, with the PSP 80 million to PS Vita under 6 million, and the 3DS not even hitting half its predecessor. It will also affect consoles, the tail end will not be as strong as previous generations, and future iterations will see gigantic contractions.

Nintendo saw the writing on the wall, and they are increasing their footprint in thar space. Microsoft and Sony will inevitably go that way too, not now, but in the future.

Handhelds are not a good barometer to measure console success with.

GBA sold 80 million but that didn't translate into Gamecube or Xbox sales.

If anything, the market for handhelds exist on a completely different plane from consoles. You don't even have Western publishers actively supporting it, outside of some random licensed kid's game.

mckmas8808

Is anyone else confused by this logic

InsaneZero I'm talking about physical motor skills. Lots of 3 year olds can hold a tablet and move their finger around chopping fruit. But that same 3 year old physically doesn't have the dexterity to play Tearaway or a Lego game.

Something has to come along that changes the rules of the game as they stand today. Maybe it's VR, maybe it's Nintendo, maybe it's something we're not even thinking about right now. But the traditional Console market as it's been known for years is not sustainable. Things must change. The addressable market for traditional Console-targeted content must expand if it is to continue being produced.

Handhelds are not a good barometer to measure console success with.

But it's a preview of the future. Mobile devices became "good enough" for gaming for a huge number of people. So, despite the technical superiority of the 3DS and Vita, Mobile is where the market, and development, has gone.

Once alternatives exist (to the need currently being filled by consoles) that do not require a $300-$400 upfront investment of course mass market non-enthusiast consumers will be satisfied.

And heck, many core gamers might move over too if the tech is decent enough, Might even become difficult within the next decade or so to differentiate between a traditional "console" and a set top box that plays games.

You don't even have Western publishers actively supporting it, outside of some random licensed kid's game.

Not even that is happening anymore.

Top Bottom