• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Mobile is now the most popular platform for gaming among children aged 2-17

I'm surprised the shift isn't larger.

I think this is generally an expansion of the market and reports of the demise of traditional games are overrated and wishful thinking among a vocal few.

Bolivar687

Banned
Can you reexplain this point in simpler terms? I think you're saying something but I'm not sure.

I think the price of the two, actively-supported, dedicated platforms plays a role in why casuals, here young children, are looking for gaming experiences elsewhere. I suspect it also plays a role in the type of content publishers deliver on those platforms.

The article says that the biggest shift in this 2-year survey took place at ages 2-5. I honestly can't imagine any parent spending $500 after tax so their 3-year old can play Far Cry 4.

While it's true that console market could be reaching a cap, whereas mobile grows, that to me doesn't signal death yet.

The space has been in decline for some time. Publisher and release count on Console and Handheld platforms is down significantly from just a few short years ago. Kids and Family games are nowhere to be found now compared to, say, 2009. Dedicated handhelds generate a small fraction of the business they did a half decade ago.

Like it or not, Consoles will become more and more niche, catering to a smaller, much more enthusiastic and dedicated, market.

So no, not dying. You'lll still get at least one more generation of Consoles, and Console games will keep getting made for at least a decade or more.

But it's a niche. Which is fine. Plenty of healthy companies and happy consumers can exist within a niche.

I think the price of the two, actively-supported, dedicated platforms plays a role in why casuals, here young children, are looking for gaming experiences elsewhere. I suspect it also plays a role in the type of content publishers deliver on those platforms.

Ahhh, got it. Thanks.

ZhugeEX

Banned
It is. My daughter blew about $30 in iTunes gift cards on some cooking game, and to unlock stuff in Injustice (yes, THAT Injustice.. I didn't even know there was an iOS version!).

I asked my 11 year old if he wanted FIFA 16 for the Xbox. Nope, he's good playing it on iOS, and by the way, can he give me a fiver to buy some in-game stuff...

Sorry dudes. We are dinosaurs.

And people were saying Pachter was wrong the other day....

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm surprised the shift isn't larger.

I think this is generally an expansion of the market and reports of the demise of traditional games are overrated and wishful thinking among a vocal few.

You keep saying this but no one has actually said console gaming is dead. Only that it's declining and contracted and that mobile is larger.

Plenty of niches do well in their own right. All that's being said is that 15 years ago you had console as the biggest revenue generator in gaming but now its not. Its mobile

Aaron D.

Because everything seems to be moving to free to play and that system is not for me. I'm going to hold on to every old console i own.

An expanded marketplace brings with it more diversity, not less.

Your traditional games aren't going anywhere.

Yet another reason why kids are the worst, and ruin everything good.

I keep trying to give new mobile games a chance, and so far Marvel Puzzle Quest is the only one that's managed to stick. Everything else gets a day or two where I'm really into it and then nothing.

Zee-Row

Banned
Free to play is not always bad but its your decision.

It is if you play a fun game that's not very popular. My example would be Dragon Coins , its a fun game but since it didn't generate enough revenue for Sega so they shut it down. It didn't have any offline mode since all its mechanics are always online.

I kind of feel bad for todays generation because even the games they grow up with now won't have a retro phase because you will most likely never play the game ever again if they shut down the servers due to declining popularity.

Phff, 33yo still haven't found a mobile game that I put more time in than this back in the day...
latest

I'm 34 and mobile games don't hold my interest either. I've tried forcing myself to get into it. Just can't.

Game4life

Banned
I dont want to sound like an old man but this new generation is a failure. From the cartoons kids watch today to bullshit like this. The generation born in the 80's and early 90's were the best. Those generations appreciated quality.

I dont want to sound like an old man but this new generation is a failure. From the cartoons kids watch today to bullshit like this. The generation born in the 80's and early 90's were the best. Those generations appreciated quality.

Agreed. Me and my wife talk about that all the time. Their cartoons and shows are terrible. Do they even have "Saturday morning cartoons"? That was an event in itself when I was younger. Born in 1981 representing.

It is if you play a fun game that's not very popular. My example would be Dragon Coins , its a fun game but since it didn't generate enough revenue for Sega so they shut it down. It didn't have any offline mode since all its mechanics are always online.

I kind of feel bad for todays generation because even the games they grow up with now won't have a retro phase because you will most likely never play the game ever again if they shut down the servers due to declining popularity.
I mean both of those aren't unique to mobile gaming. Features and whole games from now will probably be unplayable in maybe 5 years.

Oh don't worry about that. You sound more like a child.

It's a problem for all manufacturers as these kids grow older.

In the long term, sure. But it's definitely a more immediate problem for Nintendo given their target demographics.

More interest in gaming = more growth for consoles down the road.

The high upfront prices of console hardware and software are going to be a pretty formidable barrier to that for kids raised on mobile gaming.

Cheech

And people were saying Pachter was wrong the other day....

I think he's a bit overreactive, but he's not entirely wrong.

Nintendo HAS to figure out some way with the NX to incorporate iOS/Android devices. If they're smart, they'll make games that run on NX, with a pruned down version on mobile so they can continue to play aspects of the game while not sitting in front of a TV.

If they try to sell a proprietary tablet, they might as well pound sand.

The thing is, it's not all doom and gloom. The new iPhone 6s benchmarks higher than lower end laptops; that is damn impressive, and means that we are quickly getting to a point where true convergence is going to take place in a few short years. People bitching about mobile "winning" the gaming market won't have an argument, because mobile will be providing experiences that mirror what you'd get on a traditional console/PC. Sure, you may need a third party controller and a cheap pass through dummy box if you want to play games the old school way on a TV, but who cares.

SMattera

An expanded marketplace brings with it more diversity, not less.

Your traditional games aren't going anywhere.

Developer resources are limited. The number of gamers and the time they can devote to games is limited.

Compare the total library of the DS to the 3DS. It's not even close.

Game4life

Banned
Agreed. Me and my wife talk about that all the time. Their cartoons and shows are terrible. Do they even have "Saturday morning cartoons"? That was an event in itself when I was younger. Born in 1981 representing.

I grew up with Flintstones, Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Swat Kats, Johnny Bravo etc.. The cartoons kids watch today are so terribad in comparison.

LUXURY

I'm sorry but I don't see one mobile game that brings me any interest compared to console games. Not one.

They surveyed 2 year olds?
Wait what are 2,3,4,5,6,7 year olds.....children doing with mobiles?

They play on their parents phone. Some even keep their old phones and hand it down. Also there are tablets. There are plenty of reasonable reasons why they would have access.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not surprising. Do you know what kind of games are popular in Japan to such a switch from portable console? I think they get better games for them than those quick to play we get here

I seriously hope I never get so old and bitter that I start thinking in this manner.

Bolivar687

Banned
Because everything seems to be moving to free to play and that system is not for me. I'm going to hold on to every old console i own.

Free to play on mobile, like social gaming before it, is the Wild West of game publishing. The audience is much more capricious, the landscape winner-take-all, and hits are impossible to predict. No one should be surprised to see Rovio going the way of Zynga.

If anything, we've witnessed the opposite happen, as more content creators are migrating from other sectors onto console. We've seen this from notable PC publishers like Blizzard and Paradox, indie houses such as Curve and Devolver Digital, and even the CRPG renaissance boutiques like Larian and inXile. CD Projekt RED said The Witcher III would not have been anywhere near as big as it was, were it not for the consoles. Publishers are going to manage risk by continuing to allocate development dollars to platforms where their games are curated to a ravenous community and platform holders are willing to shoulder the costs of promoting their games.

Trago

Well of course. For many of then, phones are their first gaming devices, not consoles. If anything, it's partly a failure on the console manufactures part for mostly targeting the 18-35 demographic.

btrboyev

Does this just mean downloads? Because these kids are not paying for apps for the most part...it's skewed so badly because yes, most kids have phones these days even at the young ages. It's an unfair study

nampad

lol, 2 year olds playing video games.

2 years old?? Lol

I am surprised that 60% of that market play Consoles, parents allow those kids to play?? Really?? 2/6 years old??? Holly shit here no chance parents would allow that here.

My nephew played with an Ipad mini at that age. There are apps for toddlers which do kind of the same as some other toys for toddlers (fit shapes, animal sounds, puzzling together animals etc.). He knew how to navigate, start and quit apps. He even had an app for kid tv shows which had commercial pop ups which he closed. Everything seemed natural to him.

It was pretty great when he had to be in the hospital for a longer duration and the hospital staff thought it was so need, they asked for the respected apps etc. so they can have Ipads on the pediatrician hallway.

Does it 'really' count as gaming if it's just downloading throwaway titles because they're at the top of the app store?
Yeah

Well of course. For many of then, phones are their first gaming devices, not consoles. If anything, it's partly a failure on the console manufactures part for mostly targeting the 18-35 demographic.
I was just thinking this. Like what big kids games do the big two make? None. That audience is going to go where stuff is at and its on mobile.

Does it 'really' count as gaming if it's just downloading throwaway titles because they're at the top of the app store?

If they're playing them, then yes it does count.

Even though I agree with you in general, there's still the aspect that mobile devices have a lower barrier of entry and will likely be used at a younger age which sets a trend of just using those devices. Someone is unlikely to buy a console for their 3 or 4 year old.

Jigorath

Banned
Like I said before, ten years down the line Sony will be making set top boxes, Nintendo will be mobile-only, and Microsoft will be out of gaming entirely.

You can change the headline from "Children are playing more on mobile" to "Children are spending less time on gaming", but does that actually change anything?

Top Bottom